PDA

View Full Version : Driving and sleep

badger
25-Mar-08, 17:32
The MoT are recommending driving for no longer than 2 hours without a break to avoid falling asleep. A bus company in Wales has been told its passengers have to alight every 30 minutes and buy separate tickets because there's some EU ruling about long journeys - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/25/nbus125.xml

Where does this leave bus drivers on, for instance National Express and City Link ? Should we be worried that they don't take a break half way between Thurso and Inverness? Can you imagine the chaos if all drivers stopped every 2 hours? It's obviously dangerous to drive too long, especially if tired, but 2 hours ??

cuddlepop
25-Mar-08, 17:35
It would take forever Badger.
Its bad eneogh just now when the Citylink bus leaves Portree at 10am and doesnt get in till after 5pm,granted there's an hour stop in FortWilliam to change drivers .:eek:

Shabbychic
25-Mar-08, 17:37
Another of the EU crazy rulings. The whole of Europe would come to a standstill if this came in. Do these people actually live in the real world or are they locked up in a wee room and never see the light of day?

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 17:52
Depends on stamina doesn't it. I've driven nine hours from Tongue to Timperley (2006) and just stopped for a brew and a wee at Southwaite...similar journeys two or three times a year - we alwayts take uz own grub and a flask.

Having driven 'professionally' for a long time I know when stopping for a mini-kip is required - ten minutes dose can then leave me fresh top go on for another four hours or more.

When I was younger -twenties- I didn't have as much staying power behind the wheel - it seemed to develop.

To 'stop' every two hours whether you are feeling tired or not seems a ridiculous suggestion. Another sign of a nannying state?

It's about common sense this, which too many dont posess enough of I suppose...if they need unwritten sloganised rules like this then I suppose it's indicative of the age of the idiot.

If you're yawning and need to open windows, turn the music/speech wireless up etc then take a break, for your own sake and everyone elses. Have a coffee...or a stroll, or beast of all a cat nap.

Note: Truck Driver rules state a forty five minute break after four and a half hours driving. Seems about right...that's less than an hour in a working day of nine solid behind the wheel.

Boozeburglar
25-Mar-08, 18:09
I regularly drive to London in a 'oner', bar bunging some fuel in and stretching the legs.

I see regulating professional drivers is needed, they still fiddle their tachos even now they are supposedly tamper proof, (needles, magnets, blah, blah).

Personally I can drive ten hours plus quite happily on the back of a good sleep, but I take breaks as and when I need to.

Someone pressurised into getting a load delivered or stick to a timetable mights not make that choice.

Like PT does, I carry my own wholesome food with me, and plenty of water.

I also tend to leave my jacket on, and keep the aircon on a lowish temp with plenty air circulating from the start.

Once you are resorting to opening windows and drinking Red Bull you are already too tired, get off the road!

:)

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 18:17
Like PT does, I carry my own wholesome food with me, and plenty of water.

Chilled Egg and Bacon butties...with ketchup - mine on Granary.
Wholesome? I dunno....fills a hole, keeps me at it...luv em.

Congrats on your stamina BB but 'aircon'? what the dickens is that ?....s'funny the truck has it - but never been used during my tenancy anyway.

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 18:41
I see regulating professional drivers is needed, they still fiddle their tachos even now they are supposedly tamper proof, (needles, magnets, blah, blah).

Someone pressurised into getting a load delivered or stick to a timetable mights not make that choice.

Valid observations but there is no future in 'fiddling' tachographs. Every scam is detectable to the expert eye.
I can honestely say I have never 'run bent' and have no intention of ever doing so....macho management is something I have always found the wherewithal to resist...in fact resistance is to be relished...(easier when yer fairly flushed o' course)

Luckily, nowadays, the pressure is so absolutely minimal...it's none existent.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Mar-08, 20:35
These last 3 weeks I've been regular up and down the road, Glasgow x 2, Edinburgh, London, Newcastle. Long drive isn't a problem in a oner if you've had a good nights sleep. Driving later on when it gets dark and you don't get in the door till midnight is a different story....not so keen on that. OK if I set off by 4 in the afternoon, can keep driving till about 10 before I get tired.

Mate of our swears by parking in layby getting out and running round the car 3 times before setting off again....barking or what:lol:

Going through Brora a couple of days ago I noticed that a litre of diesel is 121.9p a litre:eek:....not sure how that compares with Thurso or Wick?? Will find out tomorrow when I have to get more. Down in Perth it was still 112.9p (same as a few weeks ago).

Kevin Milkins
25-Mar-08, 21:33
I feel the same as Percy and noticed that my stamina for long journeys has improved with age. I have done Wick to South Wales a few times now and tried having a kip and stopping often for breaks. My best time of 11 hours was to crack on and have a cuppa when you stopped for fuel and a pee.
Stopping every 2 hours sounds daft.

badger
25-Mar-08, 21:54
The trouble with this kind of advice is that it's so OTT no-one will take any notice. If they came up with something sensible they might stand some chance.

They also said that if you yawn you should stop as it means you're getting sleepy but it's well known that if you hear someone else yawn the chances are you'll join in, doesn't necessarily mean you're tired.

Hearing the stories of people who have fallen asleep at the wheel is truly scary but drivers are all so different - what might be right for one would be completely wrong for another.