PDA

View Full Version : ASDA, getting it or not?

dereek
24-Mar-08, 10:22
Hi,

What is happening with ADSA?

Are we getting it or not?

Never heard anything for ages...

Derek

Loch not Lock
24-Mar-08, 11:25
From being long odds-on it is looking less likely all due to unfair Caithness Council voting. Six members attended - 5 had 1 vote and one had two votes. Very democratic result 4 - 3 all due to that chap with odd spelt name - I think it's Graeme Storm who cost Thurso millions in loads of ways - jobs, pollution, convenience etc.
He should have been sacked like the Aberdeen Council did with their joke of a leader.[evil]

Splish
24-Mar-08, 13:11
I emailed Asda about them coming to Thurso, the reply was not at this moment in time.

Boozeburglar
24-Mar-08, 13:39
You have a Tesco, Co-op and Lidl.

How many supermarkets do you need?

The extra you pay in petrol is maybe an average of £250 a year.

You would save some of that by walking to the shops now and then.

Why not just move to the city, if you want all that a city has?

balto
24-Mar-08, 15:32
sorry to say this but i for one am pleased that asda isnt coming to thurso, aye they go on about all the new jobs they will create but what about the jobs that will be losed because of asda, it would be wick town centre all over again, if people are so keen for these big shop then move to inverness.

riggerboy
24-Mar-08, 15:57
i said all along it was never to be and still stand by it, they were however close. lol

blackcat
24-Mar-08, 16:48
From being long odds-on it is looking less likely all due to unfair Caithness Council voting. Six members attended - 5 had 1 vote and one had two votes. Very democratic result 4 - 3 all due to that chap with odd spelt name - I think it's Graeme Storm who cost Thurso millions in loads of ways - jobs, pollution, convenience etc.
He should have been sacked like the Aberdeen Council did with their joke of a leader.[evil]

Was it not Graeme Smith - councilllor for WICK!!

gollach
24-Mar-08, 16:53

Wasn't it Aberdeenshire Council and didn't they sack the chairman of the planning committee, not their leader?

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 16:55
Who cares about Asda?! What about this new retail park in Wick? We don't need another big supermarket as much as we need more decent shops! :)

gollach
24-Mar-08, 17:03
Who cares about Asda?! What about this new retail park in Wick? We don't need another big supermarket as much as we need more decent shops! :)

Easy seen that you are not one of those making a 40 mile round trip to go to "decent shops" you are talking about. :lol:

Highland Laddie
24-Mar-08, 17:08
Easy seen that you are not one of those making a 40 mile round trip to go to "decent shops" you are talking about. :lol:

Well Golach,
they will still need to make a 40 mile round trip when Asda build in Wick [evil]

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 17:14
Well Golach,
they will still need to make a 40 mile round trip when Asda build in Wick [evil]

Asda aren't building in Wick are they? Well.. did HEAR that they were taking over Somerfield. Probably another rumour tho.

dunderheed
24-Mar-08, 18:32
oh surprise surprise a thread about shops and someone comes up with that old pish about somerfield being bought by asda or matalan or any other multinational that just happens not to be in caithness at the moment. somerfield is not being sold .

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 18:38
oh surprise surprise a thread about shops and someone comes up with that old pish about somerfield being bought by asda or matalan or any other multinational that just happens not to be in caithness at the moment. somerfield is not being sold .

Well sorry to have bothered you.

Loch not Lock
24-Mar-08, 20:04

That's correct blackcat, sorry. It was grossly unfair vote. Horrible little man doing everything to get Wick back on the map to the detriment of Thurso.

BIG A
24-Mar-08, 20:14
Your info is Wrong Somerfield is up for Sale and the CO OP and ASDA are both making bids to buy it.
Somerfield is owned by Apex and a property developer whom wish to sell the company as a whole.
(Source Times online 2 March 08)

Bobinovich
24-Mar-08, 21:51
Ah, but there have been developments (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3587047.ece) since Big A...

The planned £2 billion sale of Somerfield, the supermarket chain, could be dropped after it emerged last night that only one bid had been tabled by a deadline at the end of last week

It is understood that the Coop was the sole retailer to table a full proposal for the business part-owned by Robert Tchenguiz, the property tycoon, ahead of a March 14 cut-off date.

Asda has yet to make an offer, despite the fact that it is believed to have triggered the process by sounding out Somerfield’s owners about a prospective deal last year.

and it continues...

Asda is understood to be interested only in the larger sites within Somerfield’s 955-store portfolio to close the gap on Tesco. Somerfield’s owners want to sell the business only as a whole. Speculation has grown in recent weeks that Asda has been courting potential partners for a carve-up of the business. Somerfield’s estate includes 600 convenience stores, but Asda has insisted that it is not interested in entering that market.

bekisman
24-Mar-08, 22:10
(Sorry Bobinovitch, just noticed!) Anyway bit more, like how come Tesco managed to nab Thurso Somerfields?..

Dunderheed: "oh surprise surprise a thread about shops and someone comes up with that old pish about somerfield being bought by asda or matalan or any other multinational that just happens not to be in caithness at the moment. somerfield is not being sold "

Well it was (is) still for sale (four days ago; March 20th 2008) The Times:

Somerfield's £2bn sale left on the shelf
The planned £2 billion sale of Somerfield, the supermarket chain, could be dropped after it emerged last night that only one bid had been tabled by a deadline at the end of last week. It is understood that the Coop was the sole retailer to table a full proposal for the business part-owned by Robert Tchenguiz, the property tycoon, ahead of a March 14 cut-off date. Asda has yet to make an offer, despite the fact that it is believed to have triggered the process by sounding out Somerfield’s owners about a prospective deal last year. One source close to Somerfield said: “They’re a little bit uncertain about what Asda’s intentions are. If they don’t get the price they want, they will hold on.” Andy Bond, Asda’s chief executive, refused to comment when asked about his group’s intentions yesterday. Asda is understood to be interested only in the larger sites within Somerfield’s 955-store portfolio to close the gap on Tesco. Somerfield’s owners want to sell the business only as a whole. [what about Tesco in Thurso then?] Speculation has grown in recent weeks that Asda has been courting potential partners for a carve-up of the business.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3587047.ece (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3587047.ece)

Whitewater
25-Mar-08, 01:07
There are no ASDA stores in the highland region, the nearest is in Elgin. Does that not tell you something about the Highland Council. Tescos have them in their back pocket, they seem to be able to open stores whenever and wherever they want.

gollach
25-Mar-08, 01:36
There are no ASDA stores in the highland region, the nearest is in Elgin. Does that not tell you something about the Highland Council. Tescos have them in their back pocket, they seem to be able to open stores whenever and wherever they want.

It tells us we can all collect Tesco schools vouchers to buy the things the council doesn't fund. :(

cyberman
25-Mar-08, 02:51
I would be delighted if asda came to thurso, and if the town cant survive with competition they were not looking after there customers to begin with.

Dont get me started about the thurso wee shops everyone are so concerned about? closing lunch times, charging the earth, manners that they should be shot for the list goes on?

As I said ASDA would be brill, but that wont stop me going to the Butchers, Bakers and Fishmongers, they have been loyal over the years like I have been to them. But all the others I aint to bothered about.

dunderheed
25-Mar-08, 12:31
what i meant was the wick store is not being sold at the moment. and as was reported earlier in the thread it looks like somerfield as a whole isnt being sold yet either

mccaugm
25-Mar-08, 13:47
sorry to say this but i for one am pleased that asda isnt coming to thurso, aye they go on about all the new jobs they will create but what about the jobs that will be losed because of asda, it would be wick town centre all over again, if people are so keen for these big shop then move to inverness.

That is so not true, if smaller businesses are aware that a big company is coming, they should make more of an effort with their business strategies in advance. They should be proactive rather than reactive. Small businesses in Caithness have been able to charge over the odds for years. They are now running scared as they have never had to deal with the issue of competition before. They need to consider the added value they give to customers and promote it more effectively. I know Tesco is seen as the big bad shark but they are just giving customers what they want.

justine
25-Mar-08, 14:49
All i can say is i hope so......I used to love shopping at asda in england..There are more options for kids meals of all ages and the prices are fairer.....The offers are sometimes better....But i agree it is hard on the smaller buisnesses..But that is a fact of life today, like everything else in life its one challenge after another....

Boozeburglar
25-Mar-08, 15:04
ASDA, Tesco and others have interests in the companies that sell whale meat in the East.

Amongst many other unsavoury things such as exploited labour in developing countries, etc.

What price your 'cheap' food?

souperman
25-Mar-08, 23:32
That is so not true, if smaller businesses are aware that a big company is coming, they should make more of an effort with their business strategies in advance. They should be proactive rather than reactive. Small businesses in Caithness have been able to charge over the odds for years. They are now running scared as they have never had to deal with the issue of competition before. They need to consider the added value they give to customers and promote it more effectively. I know Tesco is seen as the big bad shark but they are just giving customers what they want.

Sorry for going off topic but these things seem to leap out at me, in your signature...."stong"......sad I know but,no excuses, just sad !

northener
26-Mar-08, 16:31
Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Another grinding round of parochial squabbling over who gets the biggest supermarket.

There's enough supermarkets in Caithness. Full stop.
Unfortunately there are those on one side of the county who cannot bear the thought of the 'other' side of the county having something they haven't.

There is enough capacity in the supermarkets in Thurso to cater for demand without opening another store. Get over it.

Cheap food? As Boozeburglar pointed out: At what price?

If you want multi-national conglomerates and hypermarkets on every corner - sod off down South.[disgust]

ett23
26-Mar-08, 23:01
All i can say is i hope so......I used to love shopping at asda in england..There are more options for kids meals of all ages and the prices are fairer.....The offers are sometimes better....But i agree it is hard on the smaller buisnesses..But that is a fact of life today, like everything else in life its one challenge after another....

I agree wholeheartedly! And I for one don't mind if Asda comes to Wick or Thurso - either one is fine by me. I'm not getting involved in a squabble over who gets the biggest supermarket in Caithness!! :roll:

Bobinovich
26-Mar-08, 23:13
Well to be honest I don't care about the supermarket side, I just want better fuel prices in Thurso :confused

jazzyr1
26-Mar-08, 23:24
Well to be honest I don't care about the supermarket side, I just want better fuel prices in Thurso :confused

Well said Bob,couldnt agree more

Angel
27-Mar-08, 00:19
Does anyone not wonder how the small population up here finances these massive companies... they run at a loss up here just to keep a 'street presence' and offset tax's... I would expect these companies accountants are buying time for the sake of owners/shareholders... as i do being self employed...

expect a proposal within a fortnight...

northener
27-Mar-08, 10:31
Good point Angel, there's a general feeling up here that 'something must be happening' as we have a sudden rush of large retailers into the area.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory that there's something going off and nobody is telling.
It's more to do with the fact that these businesses are awash with cash. Now that they have achieved dominance in the prime site sector, they can afford to move into less profitable areas (areas they would have run a mile from 10 years ago), rather than hand over the dosh to the taxman.

The whole thing then becomes self-propogating, where one retailer takes the plunge, others will see a focal point for customers and want to build alongside to feed off the supply of punters. Result? A nice business park or two.

BUT, the supply of customers is definitely finite up here. You can only build so many sustainable units in one area. Bear in mind that the total population of Caithness and Sutherland is less than a lot of relatively small towns down South. - So dont expect Wick's stores to be replicated in Thurso.

Bobinovich
27-Mar-08, 14:36
Sorry for being the bringer of bad news folks but I have it, from a very reliable source, that the mart site has been bought from Miller Developments by TESCO [disgust]

With a store already in the town I personally doubt they'll bother developing it themselves, so it looks like it's just to stop anyone else from getting in.

Boozeburglar
27-Mar-08, 14:47
I thought there was legislation stopping that now?

Anyone?

:)

BIG A
27-Mar-08, 15:02
Sorry for being the bringer of bad news folks but I have it, from a very reliable source, that the mart site has been bought from Miller Developments by TESCO [disgust]

With a store already in the town I personally doubt they'll bother developing it themselves, so it looks like it's just to stop anyone else from getting in.

What Source ? Miller Group have this site listed as for sale as at 14.oo hrs today.

Penelope Pitstop
27-Mar-08, 15:10

Looks like we ain't going to get a "bringer" of better fuel prices in Thurso then[evil]

northener
27-Mar-08, 15:12
I thought there was legislation stopping that now?

Anyone?

Regarding land banking, I found this, which would imply it's not illegal - unless there's been some moves in Scotland alone.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2049765.0.Plans_to_curb_landbanking_by _Big_Four_supermarkets.php

Might be something useful on here. But i think they may have a rather large axe to grind.....
http://www.tescopoly.org/index

mccaugm
27-Mar-08, 20:17

I do love shopping in Tesco but do not like the way they buy land for no other reason than to stop competition.

riggerboy
28-Mar-08, 11:13
well now that asda is not going to the west side of the county maybe we can just get on with life as we know it ,

northener
28-Mar-08, 11:57
well now that asda is not going to the west side of the county maybe we can just get on with life as we know it ,

"...and a great sickness fell upon the land....The skies grew dark and livestock were afflicted with murrain, and boils and a bad case of the squitters....And there was much wailing, and lamenting, and gnashing of teeth and rending of hair....Many chose to strike down their own offspring before flinging their pitiful selves off many a high place.

And the Dark Lords of Tesco looked down upon their handiwork and smiled......"

From: 'The Booke of Beelzebub and Witches Discover'd in Common Mongers Stalls' (1621).

riggerboy
28-Mar-08, 12:03
"...and a great sickness fell upon the land....The skies grew dark and livestock were afflicted with murrain, and boils and a bad case of the squitters....And there was much wailing, and lamenting, and gnashing of teeth and rending of hair....Many chose to strike down their own offspring before flinging their pitiful selves off many a high place.

And the Dark Lords of Tesco looked down upon their handiwork and smiled......"

From: 'The Booke of Beelzebub and Witches Discover'd in Common Mongers Stalls' (1621).
i was thinking more of people just getting over it, but yes i can see the people from the west side taking it a bit harder, maybe in another 10 years or so asda will try again lol

northener
28-Mar-08, 14:29
Come on Riggerboy. You don't expect people to react rationally to this do you? This is lost shopping opportunities we are talking about!!!

Never mind high unemployment, dwindling medical support, lack of investment in infrastructure and apathy towards the Tourist Industry. How can anyone possibly live without a massive supermarket right on their doorstep?

Bill Bailey would have a field day with this subject:Razz

bekisman
28-Mar-08, 15:11
Funny 'aint it, some people move up here from England telling the locals what they want and what they don't want

Boozeburglar
28-Mar-08, 15:15
Got nothing to do with where people are from.

northener
28-Mar-08, 15:43
Funny 'aint it, some people move up here from England telling the locals what they want and what they don't want

Ok, I'm intrigued. Elaborate.

Sapphire2803
28-Mar-08, 15:45

Eh? Where?

Ok, I'm intrigued. Elaborate.

Me too, bamboozled! So yes, please elaborate Bekisman...:confused

bekisman
28-Mar-08, 16:07
Folks may mock those amongst us who want a filling station - with a Supermarket. Prefer ASDA as they have national prices and not local.. many seem to forget the rip-off that existed up here before Tesco (Wick) and it's associated filling station set the standard.. "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." *1..
"all the garages [Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices!". *2 July, 2005
Here we are now with postings of £1.28 a litre in Brora - does anyone think we would not be in a similar mess if it was NOT for Tesco in Wick? Ok, folks have issues with the company, I don't give a toss, BUT I do care about being ripped off with my fuel.
Remember the squeals from the Wick suppliers when news of Tesco's coming; "we'll be out of business" etc, they still seem to be there and; what is it, three of 'em apart from Tesco?,
A good thing a bad thing, up to us, for those who don't like the large supermarkets, nip down to Brora to fill up, as up here your fuel would have been the same price without Tesco.
*1 http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=323232&in_page_id=2 (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=323232&in_page_id=2)
*2 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4685439.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4685439.stm)

bekisman
28-Mar-08, 16:17
"There's enough supermarkets in Caithness. Full stop.There is enough capacity in the supermarkets in Thurso to cater for demand without opening another store. Get over it. If you want multi-national conglomerates and hypermarkets on every corner - sod off down South" (where to?; Yorkshire?)

Boozeburglar
28-Mar-08, 16:19
I agree with what Northerner said, what is your answer to me?

riggerboy
28-Mar-08, 16:43
well im from wick, and i dont think caithness needs another superstore, a few more units up by homebase or tesco would be fine but def not any more superstores, i know people form the west side will say it so unfair, i say build a bridge and get over it, asda are NOT coming, yes the east side seems to be getting a lot, but then the west side has nothing left to offer, they got it all their way for many a year, we on this side collect money for 40 years for a swimming pool everytime enough was raised it was given to thurso for 1 thing or another,
i really dont care about the great devide between our 2 towns, the only thing left is for the A9 to be re-routed back to its original route and life will be good again lol

northener
28-Mar-08, 17:08
"There's enough supermarkets in Caithness. Full stop.There is enough capacity in the supermarkets in Thurso to cater for demand without opening another store. Get over it. If you want multi-national conglomerates and hypermarkets on every corner - sod off down South" (where to?; Yorkshire?)

Yes, that's a good example of a wonderful county that has disappeared under a mass of unaffordable housing, huge retail parks, empty corner shops, international fast-food and coffee outlets along with social breakdown, mass vandalism, thefts and violence gone through the roof and nobody giving a toss about their communities any more. Is this starting to sound a little familiar?

The rot will creep in, Bekisman, it's already started.

northener
28-Mar-08, 17:16
Folks may mock those amongst us who want a filling station - with a Supermarket. Prefer ASDA as they have national prices and not local.. many seem to forget the rip-off that existed up here before Tesco (Wick) and it's associated filling station set the standard.. "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." *1..
"all the garages [Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices!". *2 July, 2005
Here we are now with postings of £1.28 a litre in Brora - does anyone think we would not be in a similar mess if it was NOT for Tesco in Wick? Ok, folks have issues with the company, I don't give a toss, BUT I do care about being ripped off with my fuel.
Remember the squeals from the Wick suppliers when news of Tesco's coming; "we'll be out of business" etc, they still seem to be there and; what is it, three of 'em apart from Tesco?,
A good thing a bad thing, up to us, for those who don't like the large supermarkets, nip down to Brora to fill up, as up here your fuel would have been the same price without Tesco.
*1 http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=323232&in_page_id=2 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=323232&in_page_id=2)
*2 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4685439.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4685439.stm)

Bekisman, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the price of fuel in Thurso and Brora.

Unfortunately, the majority of people who i have seen post on here are more interested in the joyous bounty of goods that a supermarket will bring (which they can already get elsewhere), not just fuel.

All it needs is Tesco's to change their policy on fuel and we are all stuffed anyway....

A good argument for regional taxation?

bekisman
28-Mar-08, 17:44
Said in haste; apologies to you Northerner! (Pm'd you)

northener
28-Mar-08, 17:57
No worries, Bekisman.

bekisman
28-Mar-08, 18:32
Will let you know what N.G. says