PDA

View Full Version : What's best for young people?

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 17:04
Vote for which of the above you would like to see in Caithness for young people and add any comments to expand on vote.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 17:27
Oh come on! How even can we get with the voting! :lol:

Make one stand out more to help a bit! :)

justine
23-Mar-08, 17:31
well i voted for other as i feel anything will be better than what they got....

Obviously others believe the kids of today have all they need up here....:eek:

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 17:33
well i voted for other as i feel anything will be better than what they got....

Obviously others believe the kids of today have all they need up here....:eek:

If you have to choose ONE thing thought which would make a difference to teenagers up here, what would you choose? :)

justine
23-Mar-08, 17:34
a large holding cell....:lol:

seriously i would have to go with outdoor adventure weather according....:lol:

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 17:38
a large holding cell....

seriously i would have to go with outdoor adventure weather according....:lol:

I don't think I'd get away with trying to get one of those up here! :lol:

Second thing you said.. yes, I think that would be easier!

Thanks for that.

Venture
23-Mar-08, 17:51
Can I just ask what is the point of this poll. Will it result in what ever comes out top being provided by the Highland Youth Voice?

How many more Highland Youth Voice threads are we to expect today. I thought you had your own website.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 18:00
Can I just ask what is the point of this poll. Will it result in what ever comes out top being provided by the Highland Youth Voice?

How many more Highland Youth Voice threads are we to expect today. I thought you had your own website.

I'm actually very shocked by your comment. After being told that I was not representing the young people of Caithness in the uniform thread, I am now trying to consult as much as I can. I have only created TWO Highland Youth Voice threads today and some shortly ago with regards to youth bank. I am quite entitled to post as a young person on things I am interested in just in the same way as I allow you to post about things adults are more interested in. If it is such a terrible thing I am doing, I'll stop posting but never again can anyone complain to me that I'm not making the effort to deal with the views of young people.

The intended purpose of this thread is to contribute towards debates held by Highland Youth Voice in the attempt to improve local areas for young people by providing areas with whatever possible and I think you'll find that most my threads do gather views which support a final outcome in the end.

Julia
23-Mar-08, 18:22
I voted for a sports centre, then it wouldn't matter what the weather was like, not enough kids are getting out and actually taking part in physical exercise

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 18:24
I voted for a sports centre, then it wouldn't matter what the weather was like, not enough kids are getting out and actually taking part in physical exercise

That's a great reason to have a sports centre. Just one thing.. I believe they still have plans for a sport centre in Halkirk. Do you believe this is an ideal location or should it be situated in an area where more people live?

Max
23-Mar-08, 18:30
I voted for a Youth Cafe but maybe a music centre would be just as good. A sports centre will only be used by those who are interested in sport which doesn't take in all kids and even those that are sporty - there is still room for somewhere they can all meet up and chat, play music, make a noise without being in trouble for doing it. Somewhere to go at weekends. Teenagers under 18 either go to the pubs/skinandis or hang about as far as I can see.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 18:33
I voted for a Youth Cafe but maybe a music centre would be just as good. A sports centre will only be used by those who are interested in sport which doesn't take in all kids and even those that are sporty - there is still room for somewhere they can all meet up and chat, play music, make a noise without being in trouble for doing it. Somewhere to go at weekends. Teenagers under 18 either go to the pubs/skinandis or hang about as far as I can see.

Did I read right, you said teenagers UNDER 18 go to pubs? You mean they are actually allowed in or is that accompanied by an adult? I also assume they aren't given alcohol?

Do you think a youth cafe would be used by all young people including those who hang about streets at night? What would you say is the best time for a youth cafe to be open at?

justine
23-Mar-08, 18:41
need to ask this...What ages are you looking at..0-18 or 6 upwards..You mention youth but could you specify as i have children from 0-18 so it would help to have a guide line....

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 18:43
need to ask this...What ages are you looking at..0-18 or 6 upwards..You mention youth but could you specify as i have children from 0-18 so it would help to have a guide line....

If you are going by Young Scot's definition of a young person or youth then this is people aged 12-26 however, if a youth cafe was to be opened, I'd say for all High School aged people.

justine
23-Mar-08, 18:50
I know maybe i am just being a bit picky, but i am getting a bit stuck.If you are intending to get a club or youth centre up here will you be organsing it as a youth centre for all ages eg 12-26..Are these going to be intermingled or will you be spliting the ages groups, Being a mother of a 13 yr old girl i know as a parent i would no want my daughter hanging around 26 yr olds. it would be the same as sticking a 4 yr old with a teenager...I am all for a club being a mother of many, but i would need to understaqnd what you are intending...I am not in any way critising you and i hope you well with this as its what it needs, just give me a couple of guidlines...
Youth cafe would have to apply as well.. mixing 12's and 26 yr old is any parents nightmare...well it would be mine..

Venture
23-Mar-08, 19:44
I'm actually very shocked by your comment. After being told that I was not representing the young people of Caithness in the uniform thread, I am now trying to consult as much as I can. I have only created TWO Highland Youth Voice threads today and some shortly ago with regards to youth bank. I am quite entitled to post as a young person on things I am interested in just in the same way as I allow you to post about things adults are more interested in. If it is such a terrible thing I am doing, I'll stop posting but never again can anyone complain to me that I'm not making the effort to deal with the views of young people.

The intended purpose of this thread is to contribute towards debates held by Highland Youth Voice in the attempt to improve local areas for young people by providing areas with whatever possible and I think you'll find that most my threads do gather views which support a final outcome in the end.

If the purpose of your poll is to gather information for HYV debates it should be young people between the ages of 12 and 26 (as you quoted) that you're asking. The people who post on here are mostly adults. Adults don't have the same opinions as young people. The outcome of the poll will be that it does NOT represent the youth of Caithness. As to my question about putting threads on here and mentioning that you have a website for HYV shouldn't these polls etc be put on there at least the people who visit that website would be a better representation of youth than on here.

As to the school uniform thread. The parents and pupils who replied did not say that you were not representing them. They said you were misrepresenting them.

Venture
23-Mar-08, 20:23
Did I read right, you said teenagers UNDER 18 go to pubs? You mean they are actually allowed in or is that accompanied by an adult? I also assume they aren't given alcohol.

You seemed shocked at the above mentioned in a post. Are you saying that as a Highland Youth Voice Representative you are not aware of the extent of under age drinking problems in the North? Where have you been?

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 20:46
I know maybe i am just being a bit picky, but i am getting a bit stuck.If you are intending to get a club or youth centre up here will you be organsing it as a youth centre for all ages eg 12-26..Are these going to be intermingled or will you be spliting the ages groups, Being a mother of a 13 yr old girl i know as a parent i would no want my daughter hanging around 26 yr olds. it would be the same as sticking a 4 yr old with a teenager...I am all for a club being a mother of many, but i would need to understaqnd what you are intending...I am not in any way critising you and i hope you well with this as its what it needs, just give me a couple of guidlines...
Youth cafe would have to apply as well.. mixing 12's and 26 yr old is any parents nightmare...well it would be mine..

Oh no no. Sorry, should have made it clearer. What I meant was, when "young people" are being refered to, this is usually in the age range between 12 and 26 however, if a youth cafe was to be set up, it would ONLY be high school aged children that would be able to go there.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer. :)

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 20:49
If the purpose of your poll is to gather information for HYV debates it should be young people between the ages of 12 and 26 (as you quoted) that you're asking. The people who post on here are mostly adults. Adults don't have the same opinions as young people. The outcome of the poll will be that it does NOT represent the youth of Caithness. As to my question about putting threads on here and mentioning that you have a website for HYV shouldn't these polls etc be put on there at least the people who visit that website would be a better representation of youth than on here.

As to the school uniform thread. The parents and pupils who replied did not say that you were not representing them. They said you were misrepresenting them.

Your message implied that you were basically getting fed up seeing me writing messages on here in relation to Highland Youth Voice. It in no way had a connotation of being polite. I would like a mixed view from both teenagers and adults to obtain a clear understanding of what both- young people would like and also what adults think would be the best thing for young people.

In the uniform thread, I was misrepresenting SOME people as you will realise from the PM I sent you recently with regards to the small consultation I did. Therefore I am representing young people but not representing others.

Max
23-Mar-08, 20:51
Did I read right, you said teenagers UNDER 18 go to pubs? You mean they are actually allowed in or is that accompanied by an adult? I also assume they aren't given alcohol?

Do you think a youth cafe would be used by all young people including those who hang about streets at night? What would you say is the best time for a youth cafe to be open at?

Yes - I do think under 18's go to the night club - certainly and I assume if they can get in the local night club they will get in pubs - no I don't think they will be accompanied by an adult and yes I think they do drink alcohol. Maybe I'm wrong though - would like to think I was!! (Don't think I am though!)

Don't know aout your second comment - probably I'm too old to ask. It would be nice to think they would have somewhere to go that they would enjoy - maybe that would stay open fairly late??

unicorn
23-Mar-08, 20:52
But will they use what they get or will it be like the skate park in Thurso pretty much unused now?

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 20:55
Yes - I do think under 18's go to the night club - certainly and I assume if they can get in the local night club they will get in pubs - no I don't think they will be accompanied by an adult and yes I think they do drink alcohol. Maybe I'm wrong though - would like to think I was!! (Don't think I am though!)

Don't know aout your second comment - probably I'm too old to ask. It would be nice to think they would have somewhere to go that they would enjoy - maybe that would stay open fairly late??

Do you think the "bouncers" and pub staff know they are under 18 and still letting them in or do you think they are unaware that people under 18 are allowd into their pubs to drink alcohol?

Max
23-Mar-08, 20:55
[QUOTE=rfr10;363408]I am quite aware of the fact of underage drinking in the Highlands. What I was not aware of is, pubs ALLOWING people under the age of 18 through their doors to drink alcohol. I think you will find this is pretty much what I said my post.

Sorry - I didn't mean the pubs were turning a blind eye just that they are letting those in they THINK are older than they actually are!

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 20:57
But will they use what they get or will it be like the skate park in Thurso pretty much unused now?

That's precisely the reason that's stopping many things. I'll try and create some sort of survey for young people soon to find out (I've done this a while ago and received mixed results). If the majority is clear what they want then this is what I'll try and get.

Max
23-Mar-08, 20:57

That would be my worry too - it would have to be done very carefully with the young people really being consulted on what they want.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 20:59
[quote=rfr10;363408]I am quite aware of the fact of underage drinking in the Highlands. What I was not aware of is, pubs ALLOWING people under the age of 18 through their doors to drink alcohol. I think you will find this is pretty much what I said my post.

Sorry - I didn't mean the pubs were turning a blind eye just that they are letting those in they THINK are older than they actually are!

Oh right. This may be something to look into then. Thanks for your comments. :)

Max
23-Mar-08, 21:24
No probs - keep up the good work!

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 21:31
No probs - keep up the good work!

Thanks Max!! :):)

TBH
23-Mar-08, 22:28
All of the options would be great. How about a training centre teaching various trades, maybe some retired tradesmen/women would like to volunteer to pass on their skills to those willing to learn.

karia
23-Mar-08, 22:32
Ask the potential clients.. and I mean that!

.What would we know?;)

TBH
23-Mar-08, 22:34
Ask the potential clients.. and I mean that!

.What would we know?;)You were young once Karia, what would you have liked when you were a youth?

RicardoR
23-Mar-08, 22:37
I selected Other. I think they should make an arcade type place, a games room and a bar for teenagers (no alcohol), would keep them off the streets and they would have fun if they had arcade games, pool, bowling etc.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 22:43
I selected Other. I think they should make an arcade type place, a games room and a bar for teenagers (no alcohol), would keep them off the streets and they would have fun if they had arcade games, pool, bowling etc.

That could be something similar to a youth cafe.

karia
23-Mar-08, 22:50
You were young once Karia, what would you have liked when you were a youth?

And I am far from being Methusela now TBH!;)

But I am not in Caithness and I can only urge that the prospective users are asked and their opinions noted

TBH
23-Mar-08, 22:56
And I am far from being Methusela now TBH!;)

But I am not in Caithness and I can only urge that the prospective users are asked and their opinions notedI never thought you were an old fogey like me Karia.[lol]

karia
23-Mar-08, 22:59
I never thought you were an old fogey like me Karia.[lol]

Glad to hear it!:D

Loch not Lock
24-Mar-08, 11:35
I think an indoor leisure centre would be more favourable than an outdoor one, considering the weather. It would have to be good value and properly managed. Apply for a Lotto grant rather than bleed local funds.

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 12:43
I think an indoor leisure centre would be more favourable than an outdoor one, considering the weather. It would have to be good value and properly managed. Apply for a Lotto grant rather than bleed local funds.

I had been on the Highland panel for the Big Lottery Fund- Young People's Fund and did try to get someone to apply for funding however it did not happen as it was very difficult to find anyone who wanted to apply for a grant fore setting up a place for young people. Unfortionately the young people's fund ceases to exist now because we've spent all the money.

justine
24-Mar-08, 14:23
Oh no no. Sorry, should have made it clearer. What I meant was, when "young people" are being refered to, this is usually in the age range between 12 and 26 however, if a youth cafe was to be set up, it would ONLY be high school aged children that would be able to go there.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer. :)

Yes that clears it up nicely.:eek:
I used to run a youth club in england and we had three age groups, 5-10, 11-16 and 17-22,, it worked very well as we had no younger members mixing with older kids....

Hope you work something out....

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 15:14
Yes that clears it up nicely.:eek:
I used to run a youth club in england and we had three age groups, 5-10, 11-16 and 17-22,, it worked very well as we had no younger members mixing with older kids....

Hope you work something out....

The only problem with a Youth Cafe is, it's a drop in centre and would be open at a specific time for all High School aged children to drop in whenever they want. If there were split times for different ages, it would make it more like a youth club than a youth cafe then. There would be staff supervising the place to ensure that everyone got along well and that there was no inappropriate behaviour.

justine
24-Mar-08, 15:16
Yeah he differences between a cafe and a club is alot..I hope yu get somewhere for them as they could sure use somewhere to go....

sweetpea
24-Mar-08, 15:25
All of the options would be great. How about a training centre teaching various trades, maybe some retired tradesmen/women would like to volunteer to pass on their skills to those willing to learn.

That's the best idea I've heard so far. If your aged 16-19 and leave school with no academic qualifications to speak of then your very limited as to what you can do here. The only options are gov training programmes which provide 20 weeks training or college or if your very lucky a job, but if you haven't had a good experience with education then going to the limited courses they offer at Thurso doesn't usually work. Often the jobs available don't match what some young people want to do and getting apprenticeships the traditional way involves needing min 4 standard grades. There's a large group of YP who need this sort of option.
Othere than that outward bound would be good up here, we have wind, water, cliffs etc, YP have to travel to Wester Ross and such like at the moment. Also a few years back in Stornoway they asked YP what sort of place they wanted to 'hang out' and they said a bus shelter! A purpose built one was provided!

skimeister
24-Mar-08, 15:38
Vote for which of the above you would like to see in Caithness for young people and add any comments to expand on vote.

Being born and growing up in Thurso, I know what it is like for young-uns to have something to keep them occupied. I was in the Sea Scouts, Pentland Yacht Club and went surfing every day there was more than a ripple out there. I didnt mind the wind or the rain and although the cold temp was a bit raw - the thrill of it all made up for it. Luckily we had use of the School minibus which a teacher would drive for us when we wanted to go out West or to Dunnet and that was a blessing really.

If the young people dont want to go sailing or surfing (ie basicaly getting wet and cold anyway) then with the inclement weather, the best source of fun, exercise and enjoyment would come from a SC set up for all ages with multifunctional courts, gyms, climbing walls etc etc.

If needed I can offer my time to volunteer to help setting something up :)

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 15:43
Being born and growing up in Thurso, I know what it is like for young-uns to have something to keep them occupied. I was in the Sea Scouts, Pentland Yacht Club and went surfing every day there was more than a ripple out there. I didnt mind the wind or the rain and although the cold temp was a bit raw - the thrill of it all made up for it. Luckily we had use of the School minibus which a teacher would drive for us when we wanted to go out West or to Dunnet and that was a blessing really.

If the young people dont want to go sailing or surfing (ie basicaly getting wet and cold anyway) then with the inclement weather, the best source of fun, exercise and enjoyment would come from a SC set up for all ages with multifunctional courts, gyms, climbing walls etc etc.

Thank you skimeister, I'll certainly keep that in mind. We really need a group of people (mixture of adults and teenagers) to try and set something up. May be worth my time trying to find some more potntial volunteers to help out.

Karen
24-Mar-08, 16:37

Every time my son was in town and went to use the skate park he was told off by parents letting younger children play on the ramp??? It isn't always the kids fault when things like that happen.

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 16:43
Every time my son was in town and went to use the skate park he was told off by parents letting younger children play on the ramp??? It isn't always the kids fault when things like that happen.

So maybe a skate park specifically for older people?

Karen
24-Mar-08, 16:48

Not so many of the kids skate now, they seem happy to skate in town in quiet areas. I just hope people aren't bothered by them. We have a ramp in our garden at home!

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 16:50
Would any more people like to volunteer to be part of a group to help set something up for teenagers in Caithness?

ciderally
24-Mar-08, 23:06
i voted for the sports centre but the youth cafe sounds a good idea, and when i eventually get back home i would love to volunteer to help, and i think your doing a grand job ....and keep up the posting ..xx

rfr10
24-Mar-08, 23:07
i voted for the sports centre but the youth cafe sounds a good idea, and when i eventually get back home i would love to volunteer to help, and i think your doing a grand job ....and keep up the posting ..xx

Thank you ciderally! Nice of you to say that. Your help would really be appreciated so I'll take a note if you don't mind. Thanks.

rob16d
25-Mar-08, 08:36
I don't think a youth café would work.

There are already countless facilities for sport.

There is an outdoor leisure centre at Rumster.

So i choose music centre.

rfr10
25-Mar-08, 12:11

Sorry, I'm not trying to pick on your response here but:

Why don't you think a youth cafe will work?
Are the countless facilities for sports open all year round for any sport of your choice almost?

rob16d
25-Mar-08, 12:21
I remember a youth cafe started up about 3 years ago and nothing came of it, just talking from past experience here.

rfr10
25-Mar-08, 12:28
I remember a youth cafe started up about 3 years ago and nothing came of it, just talking from past experience here.

ok, thanks for that :)

rfr10
25-Mar-08, 20:54
Could I ask in relation to this in a way..

In my previous thread about adults perceptions of young people, how many of you feel very reluctant to go to banks in town which young people hang outside? I know what the correct answer to this next question should be but I'll also ask- do you think they should be allowed to stand there? Are the CCTV cameras any use because no police seem to go and move them away from the banks. I can say that not one night have I gone through the town in Wick without seeing young people hanging about outside the corner paper shop or the Clydsdale Bank.

Views please?

Thanks.

pjyemail
26-Mar-08, 11:19
i think that a leisure complex park would be good, which would caiter for all ages, heres a list of what i would put in it.

Cafe
Kids Play area
acardes
Pool Tabes
Lazer Tag
Bowling
Vidio games
Internet
online games
Small Film Room
go karts
funfair rides
etc

you could also also run a club and supply day trips to other events

rfr10
26-Mar-08, 11:52
i think that a leisure complex park would be good, which would caiter for all ages, heres a list of what i would put in it.

Cafe
Kids Play area
acardes
Pool Tabes
Lazer Tag
Bowling
Vidio games
Internet
online games
Small Film Room
go karts
funfair rides
etc

Good idea pjyemail! Thank you for that!

Kevin Milkins
26-Mar-08, 12:45
I think a snow machine would be good , because the kids in our street looked like they were having great fun wanging snowballs at my car and windows.
I do love to see kids enjoying themselves lol:lol:

rob16d
26-Mar-08, 15:01
I think a snow machine would be good , because the kids in our street looked like they were having great fun wanging snowballs at my car and windows.
I do love to see kids enjoying themselves lol:lol:

I'll second this in more detail! A dry ski slope where they can ski, snowboard, sledge etc

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 15:01
I think that what's best for young people is to have as many options as possible, all of the above and more. It's no good sorting out the sporty kids and forgetting the rest for example.
I think what they need is a good choice of safe activities, catering to all tastes and interests

rfr10
26-Mar-08, 16:09
To help set something up, I really need some people to volunteer to help me. It needs to be a group of adults and young people. If anyone would like to voulnteer to help out sometime in the near future, send me a pm.

Thanks.

Celtic YNWA
13-Mar-09, 05:10
To be honest wouldnt it be better if we got something like a cinema or a bowling alley in the building beside the sports shop?

GetWithTheTimes
13-Mar-09, 08:13
RANT ON :)

exactly the skate park was a waste of money and at one end of the town why not situated near the centre of town so it was easily accesible by everyone not all parents want their kids going to the other side of town past busy traffic

Do you think the "bouncers" and pub staff know they are under 18 and still letting them in or do you think they are unaware that people under 18 are allowd into their pubs to drink alcohol?
You are the voice of the youth???

You were young once Karia, what would you have liked when you were a youth?
exactly u dont have to be young to know what young people want, people seem to think they are so different i think you will find a lot of young people are more grown up than you like to think

heard it and seen it before it wont work people are assuming all kids are the same and like arcades etc...

i still cant believe you are the voice of the youth, what makes you feel kids want to go sit in a cafe??? and if they dont have money why would they go and feel out of place coz they cant afford what the other kids can???

That's the best idea I've heard so far. If your aged 16-19 and leave school with no academic qualifications to speak of then your very limited as to what you can do here. The only options are gov training programmes which provide 20 weeks training or college or if your very lucky a job, but if you haven't had a good experience with education then going to the limited courses they offer at Thurso doesn't usually work. Often the jobs available don't match what some young people want to do and getting apprenticeships the traditional way involves needing min 4 standard grades. There's a large group of YP who need this sort of option.
Othere than that outward bound would be good up here, we have wind, water, cliffs etc, YP have to travel to Wester Ross and such like at the moment. Also a few years back in Stornoway they asked YP what sort of place they wanted to 'hang out' and they said a bus shelter! A purpose built one was provided!
you can resit standard grades at college and you can start basic and work your way up, employers wont look at a youth scheme experience that isn't a certified qualification and say i will hire them they look at real qualifications which school leavers and everyone else has the opportunity to learn at the college, also these people would have to volunteer all the time for free unless a way to pay wages was found which if it included fees from the young people again poorer people wouldnt benefit

not everyone is into sports! this would cater for only the sporty and still it would cost a fortune people dont have and the safety involved and safety trained staff would also cost money

dont be silly the last one was a waste of money and you also would be only catering for the small number of skaters not any others

i agree but i will go more in depth to what i think would be good at the end of my rant lol i should of named myself the The Rant :D

In my previous thread about adults perceptions of young people, how many of you feel very reluctant to go to banks in town which young people hang outside? I know what the correct answer to this next question should be but I'll also ask- do you think they should be allowed to stand there?
oh come on are you serious? kids can stand anywhere they want its a free country, if you feel uncomfortable going through the street and to the bank because kids are there you definately shouldnt be the voice of the youth.

Cafe, Kids Play area, acardes, Pool Tables, Lazer Tag, Bowling, Vidio games, Internet, online games, Small Film Room, go karts, funfair rides etc
yes this would all be fine and well but think of the staff costs electricity costs and the cost of getting it up and running in the first place, and again i will say not enough is done to cater for the poorer people they are left out all the time

I'll second this in more detail! A dry ski slope where they can ski, snowboard, sledge etc
this would cost a lot of money and cater to just snowboarders and skiing people what about the rest???

I think that what's best for young people is to have as many options as possible, all of the above and more. It's no good sorting out the sporty kids and forgetting the rest for example.
I think what they need is a good choice of safe activities, catering to all tastes and interests
yes hard to accomplish but a really cheap or more importantly FREE to kids activities and social places need to be created

To be honest wouldnt it be better if we got something like a cinema or a bowling alley in the building beside the sports shop?
we have a cinema and a failing bowling alley why waste money on another one???
Right so here's what i think would be better
kids arent kids and most of them rebel because they get treated like kids when they are trying to be adults
sports venues cater for only sporty kids arcades cater for only gamers none of these things will work
now music is a different story most kids enjoy music in one form or another!
we need to have a place both in wick and thurso and other areas so the kids dont need taxi's and buses which cost money to get to so more can attend including POOR kids which are probably more likely to end up being mischievious as they dont have rich mums and dads buying them skate boards new consoles and games giving them money to spend on arcades and sports centres
there are plenty people who are older that can play music and alot of younger people who can play music, so why not a music learning centre of sorts with different area's for learning music from other people and area's for just listening to music through free juke boxes or stereo's where they can socialise and dance and mess about, lounge areas with computer consoles and games kids can go in and play for free with couches etc... area's for art which alot of kids would enjoy, turntables and records for kids to learn djing we need to think more grown up for these young people they dont want to go to a youth centre and play dodge ball lol or climb walls all night every night hahaha
and the place needs to be open from end of school to watershed time to keep them occupied all night not just 2 hours a night they will be on the street again afterwards, a fitness area even so if kids want to exercise they can in a fun musical cool safe area
have cooking lessons or baking and the kids could bake for the other kids to eat when they are there cooking isnt hard
the main thing is free or cheap or free for poor families and cheap for better off families
it has to be a social place not just sports or just music or just art it has to encorporate all sorts of stuff, not expensive sports only some can do, the other thing with sports is are you going to provide all the equipment or are the parents going to have to fork out and then the POOR kids miss out again and are on the streets again with no benefit from all the money that has been spent
a lot of thought has to be put into this and money has to be spent wisely not just thrown on one activity and fail a few years later wasting yet more money
and we need someone in touch with the kids to be doing all this not some one who has no clue what the youth of today get up to or want
all the questions are good and well but without the right individual in charge and the proper funding and adults running it none of these attempts will work they will all fail and yet again waste money
its little wonder the kids run riot when people are so far out of touch we were all kids once i dont understand what happens to some people as they get older they have some dilusion they were all perfect sporty well behaved people that did everything they were told and were nothing like kids they see now.
hahaha rant accomplished i await your ridicule (i had to cut this down loads it wouldn't fit hahaha)

Sandra_B
13-Mar-09, 11:23
How about something like this?

www.sensapolis.de

My boys favourite place to go.

Venture
13-Mar-09, 12:23
RANT ON :)

exactly the skate park was a waste of money and at one end of the town why not situated near the centre of town so it was easily accesible by everyone not all parents want their kids going to the other side of town past busy traffic

You are the voice of the youth???

exactly u dont have to be young to know what young people want, people seem to think they are so different i think you will find a lot of young people are more grown up than you like to think

heard it and seen it before it wont work people are assuming all kids are the same and like arcades etc...

i still cant believe you are the voice of the youth, what makes you feel kids want to go sit in a cafe??? and if they dont have money why would they go and feel out of place coz they cant afford what the other kids can???

you can resit standard grades at college and you can start basic and work your way up, employers wont look at a youth scheme experience that isn't a certified qualification and say i will hire them they look at real qualifications which school leavers and everyone else has the opportunity to learn at the college, also these people would have to volunteer all the time for free unless a way to pay wages was found which if it included fees from the young people again poorer people wouldnt benefit

not everyone is into sports! this would cater for only the sporty and still it would cost a fortune people dont have and the safety involved and safety trained staff would also cost money

dont be silly the last one was a waste of money and you also would be only catering for the small number of skaters not any others

i agree but i will go more in depth to what i think would be good at the end of my rant lol i should of named myself the The Rant :D

oh come on are you serious? kids can stand anywhere they want its a free country, if you feel uncomfortable going through the street and to the bank because kids are there you definately shouldnt be the voice of the youth.

yes this would all be fine and well but think of the staff costs electricity costs and the cost of getting it up and running in the first place, and again i will say not enough is done to cater for the poorer people they are left out all the time

this would cost a lot of money and cater to just snowboarders and skiing people what about the rest???

yes hard to accomplish but a really cheap or more importantly FREE to kids activities and social places need to be created

we have a cinema and a failing bowling alley why waste money on another one???
Right so here's what i think would be better
kids arent kids and most of them rebel because they get treated like kids when they are trying to be adults
sports venues cater for only sporty kids arcades cater for only gamers none of these things will work
now music is a different story most kids enjoy music in one form or another!
we need to have a place both in wick and thurso and other areas so the kids dont need taxi's and buses which cost money to get to so more can attend including POOR kids which are probably more likely to end up being mischievious as they dont have rich mums and dads buying them skate boards new consoles and games giving them money to spend on arcades and sports centres
there are plenty people who are older that can play music and alot of younger people who can play music, so why not a music learning centre of sorts with different area's for learning music from other people and area's for just listening to music through free juke boxes or stereo's where they can socialise and dance and mess about, lounge areas with computer consoles and games kids can go in and play for free with couches etc... area's for art which alot of kids would enjoy, turntables and records for kids to learn djing we need to think more grown up for these young people they dont want to go to a youth centre and play dodge ball lol or climb walls all night every night hahaha
and the place needs to be open from end of school to watershed time to keep them occupied all night not just 2 hours a night they will be on the street again afterwards, a fitness area even so if kids want to exercise they can in a fun musical cool safe area
have cooking lessons or baking and the kids could bake for the other kids to eat when they are there cooking isnt hard
the main thing is free or cheap or free for poor families and cheap for better off families
it has to be a social place not just sports or just music or just art it has to encorporate all sorts of stuff, not expensive sports only some can do, the other thing with sports is are you going to provide all the equipment or are the parents going to have to fork out and then the POOR kids miss out again and are on the streets again with no benefit from all the money that has been spent
a lot of thought has to be put into this and money has to be spent wisely not just thrown on one activity and fail a few years later wasting yet more money
and we need someone in touch with the kids to be doing all this not some one who has no clue what the youth of today get up to or want
all the questions are good and well but without the right individual in charge and the proper funding and adults running it none of these attempts will work they will all fail and yet again waste money
its little wonder the kids run riot when people are so far out of touch we were all kids once i dont understand what happens to some people as they get older they have some dilusion they were all perfect sporty well behaved people that did everything they were told and were nothing like kids they see now.
hahaha rant accomplished i await your ridicule (i had to cut this down loads it wouldn't fit hahaha)

So you will be volunteeting your services to help set this up then?

rfr10
13-Mar-09, 17:57
And who are you the voice of can I ask? Those who sit around not bothering to move of their behind to do anything but just make senseless comments which are of little use to anyone? I am all up for criticism. Sometimes it is very challenging to argue with someone when they most likely to be in the right however, in your case, evidently you are lacking knowledge in certain aspects of life.

Originally Posted by rfr10 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=363479#post363479)

Please go away and research the term "Youth Cafe". I do not think you will find that it is defined as a place to "sit". You'd be very silly if you thought it was actually a cafe that sells food, drink and serves no other purpose but I'm sure you are fully aware that this is not the case.
In response to your other point, most Youth Cafes are free of charge to enter and the activities are also free. The only cost would be for food and drinks and the cost of this is hardly a struggle.

Originally Posted by rfr10 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=363811#post363811)

Constructive suggestions are welcomed without the "don't be silly" added to the beginning. Thank you.

Originally Posted by rfr10 (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=364366#post364366)
In my previous thread about adults perceptions of young people, how many of you feel very reluctant to go to banks in town which young people hang outside? I know what the correct answer to this next question should be but I'll also ask- do you think they should be allowed to stand there?

I think you will find I was not referring to myself as being frightened by the people hanging about the streets. Many senior citizens are and that is fact. In today's society with stereotypical views, it would be normal for an older person to be frightened if they meet huge mobs of people outside a bank. I mean, isn't there anything better to do than this? I'm sure there must be.

I look forward to further discussion with you...:confused

rfr10
13-Mar-09, 18:08
Oh and may I note that you have basically described a Youth Cafe with an emphasis on music in your paragraph of information explaining what you would think would be a better idea so you're contradicting your own idea I believe unless I understand wrongly.

Music Link Media is already operating in Wick and has been very successful.

Venture
13-Mar-09, 20:00
Good reply rfr10.;)

King_Creon
13-Mar-09, 22:35
A great youth theatre group is what I suggest.

annemarie482
13-Mar-09, 22:47
in some cities (newcastle for example) they have "milk bars"
its like mini alcohol free bars for kids. they can hang out till quite late in the warm, play pool, have food, some have games consoles etc.
it keeps them off the streets and at least you know where they are!