PDA

View Full Version : Team GB Football Team

Sandra
11-Nov-05, 20:02
What do people think of there being a Team GB Football Team for the 2012 Olympics. Should Scotland take part, even if only for this one time?

webmannie
11-Nov-05, 20:07
Absolutely not, the assurance given by Splatheid from FIFA that playing in it would not change anything is not worth the paper it is written on!

Anyway, the question should be 'how many of our Scottish players do you think would even get in the team', answers on a postage stamp!

golach
11-Nov-05, 21:28
Absolutely not, the assurance given by Splatheid from FIFA that playing in it would not change anything is not worth the paper it is written on!

Anyway, the question should be 'how many of our Scottish players do you think would even get in the team', answers on a postage stamp!

Im with you webmannie

gleeber
11-Nov-05, 22:01
Its shameful that the SFA are unlikely to take part in a GB football team for the 2012 Olympics. Its not surprising though.
We are a bunch of good natured and drunken bigots when we're full of football frenzy and the British Olympic commitee would be well shot of the baggage Scottish football carries to London.

porshiepoo
11-Nov-05, 23:36
I don't know the first thing about football but can I ask why there shouldn't be a GB team with scottish players?
Isn't it the ability to play that counts or am I being naiive again? :confused:

Sandra
12-Nov-05, 00:23
I think it's all down to politics an pride

The Scottish FA (and probably the Welsh FA) are worried a British team would threaten the position of the individual home nations within world football.

There's also the worry that the individual nations would then be pressured to participate in future tournaments as a GB side.

The Scottish team have enough good players to participate in the GB team, and as its another 6 years away should have plenty more.

webmannie
12-Nov-05, 12:54
No thinking about it, it IS down to politics, national pride and concerns over future arrangements. I say leave well alone.

Why should 'professional footballers' play anyway? It should be amateur footballers only, we'd link up then MAYBE!

Depends on your definition of 'good' Sandra

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Nov-05, 16:22
Not British.

willowbankbear
12-Nov-05, 23:20
Whethter you like it or not pepsi challenge, in this country if youve got a passport,yer Brittish:p HaHa , All that bothers the SFA is how they are gona get their next freebie trip(politics) Not the team, coz lets face it theyre Mince, No Scots would make Team G.B first 16 at the moment , We are that bad . So you`d be better off relaxing your hared of all things English, people, It wont do you any harm to look at a wider perspective and not be so bigoted towards our southern cousins

squidge
14-Nov-05, 13:53
Dont we need to sort out the difference between bigotry and national pride?

I dont see evidence of bigotry by not wanting to be part of a GB team but wanting to maintain a strong scots /welsh/nothern irish identity. IM sure you know that i cant abide bigotry but i do understand an applaud national pride - to want to play for SCOTLAND is understandable

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 13:59
Scotland do not compete at the Olympics Squidge - Great Britain do, so why everyone cant have some National pride there I really do not understand.......unless off course they are Bigoted!

Dons_Lad
14-Nov-05, 14:03
I'm glad we aren't participating in it. I'm guessing that an English person would probably be the manager, we'd have 1 person in the first team(if that) and only 3 players in the squad(if that as well).

If the GB team performed badly, you could rest assure, they'd blame it on the Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh. It's the same old thing, when Alain Baxter won the Bronze Medal at Ski-ing, he was British. Then when he got stripped of it, he was Scottish. Same thing would happen in the GB team.

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 14:06
You mean the guy who cheated and had his medal taken away from him?

Most successful Scottish Olympians are recognized as such, but they are representing GB.

squidge
14-Nov-05, 14:58
Scotland do not compete at the Olympics Squidge - Great Britain do, so why everyone cant have some National pride there I really do not understand.......unless off course they are Bigoted!
Oh yes you are right Scotsboy - do we do "countries" at the commonwealth games or is it GReat britain again?

I have no excuses for not being very with it - i just read the life after death thing and my head is spinning

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 15:05
Whethter you like it or not pepsi challenge, in this country if youve got a passport,yer Brittish:p HaHa , All that bothers the SFA is how they are gona get their next freebie trip(politics) Not the team, coz lets face it theyre Mince, No Scots would make Team G.B first 16 at the moment , We are that bad . So you`d be better off relaxing your hared of all things English, people, It wont do you any harm to look at a wider perspective and not be so bigoted towards our southern cousins

I'll leave it up to someone else to butcher this chap's post to shreads.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 15:24

Most successful Scottish Olympians are recognized as such, but they are representing GB.

Perhaps so. However, hopefully this will change after the Scottish parliamentary elections on May 1st, 2007. Scotland needs to increase the number of pro-Independence MSPs from the current 42 to 65 in order to achieve a parliamentary majority for Scottish Independence. Which would certainly put the Scottish cat among the British pigeons. At the moment representatives from parties such as the SNP, SSP, Greens, Liberals and even the tories are banding together to hopefully make this happen.

May Day, 2007 is also the exact date of the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union with England. By a strange twist of fate/history, Scots now a have a realistic and viable opportunity to bring an end to the so-called United Kingdom on the same day as the Brits will be celebrating its creation.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Nov-05, 17:18

The banned substance which was found to be in Alain's system, methamphetamine, came from an American version of a Vicks nasal inhaler. Alain argued that the isomer lev-methamphetamine is substantially different from the other isomer of the substance and is not performance enhancing, but current International Olympic Committee (IOC) rules do not differentiate between the two isomers. Hardly what I would call cheating more like an innocent mistake. But yes he was stripped of his medal (wrongly in my view) When he won the medal it was another medal for GB, and when they took it from him it was the disgraced Scottish Skier. Double standards if you ask me

willowbankbear
14-Nov-05, 17:20
Not going to happen, much as we`d like it to ,Pepsi challenge

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 17:30
The banned substance which was found to be in Alain's system, methamphetamine, came from an American version of a Vicks nasal inhaler. Alain argued that the isomer lev-methamphetamine is substantially different from the other isomer of the substance and is not performance enhancing, but current International Olympic Committee (IOC) rules do not differentiate between the two isomers. Hardly what I would call cheating more like an innocent mistake. But yes he was stripped of his medal (wrongly in my view) When he won the medal it was another medal for GB, and when they took it from him it was the disgraced Scottish Skier. Double standards if you ask me

Did he keep his medal? Its like all those poor innocent guys in jail - my heart bleeds, he knew the rules.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 17:47
Did he keep his medal? Its like all those poor innocent guys in jail - my heart bleeds, he knew the rules.

So did Ian Durrant when he came across Neil Simpson. Sorry, that was below the belt... But you know...

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 17:48
Not going to happen, much as we`d like it to ,Pepsi challenge

Get involved then, Willowbankbear. Tell people, create awareness. Don't be apathetic.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Nov-05, 17:51

No he didnt keep his medal. Sometimes life is hard and you have to accept whatever is dished out to you. I do believe though that they reviewed the rules relating to the drug testing after his situation went to appeal.

But really if he had used a UK vicks ihaler he would of been ok, just because he bought one in the states he is a cheater? and the substance in the ihaler isnt performance enhancing just close chemically to to one. I bet he wont make the same mistake again. But what is harsh is the way a good thing is classed as GB but when it turns sour he is a Scottish Skier.

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 18:07
It aint a lie......is it?

Sandra
14-Nov-05, 18:46
But what is harsh is the way a good thing is classed as GB but when it turns sour he is a Scottish Skier.

Unfortunately that's the just the ways the media puts the spin on it.

do we do "countries" at the commonwealth games or is it GReat britain again?

Squidge, it’s individual countries in the Commonwealth games.

Just a thought, but if there is a British Lions Rugby Union team, and a Team GB Rugby League team, and individual national rugby teams, why can't there be a Team GB Football Team, aswell as national teams. And putting aside the national pride and anti-English issues, as it's only likely to be formed for the 2012 Olympics, where's the harm?

It would be silly of there was a Team GB Football team taking part without any Scottish or Welsh players. It wouldn’t be a GB team for a start.

Blast!
14-Nov-05, 20:00
There is a very good reason why Scotland and more than likely Wales too, do not want to participate in Team GB - it seriously puts into doubt thier individual country protection for future World Cup's and European Championships.

Sepp Blatter, the FIFA president, has given written confirmation that taking part at the London 2012 games as Team GB will not affect any other football tournaments, it will aparently be a 'one off'.

The problem is that Mr. Blatter will NOT be FIFA president during the 2012 Olympic Games and any written confirmation he gives will be rendered worthless, a future FIFA president may have an almightly different opinion on whether Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland should be allowed this country protection that has been in place since FIFA began.

There is an underlying agreement between the four UK countries and FIFA that they may operate as separate nation's. As the FIFA rules stand any player born in the United Kingdom has every right to place for ANY of the four home nations - that's the FIFA ruling. The only reason we don't have the likes of Ryan Giggs or David Healy (what a legend!) playing for Scotland is because the four home nations have an a written agreement, dating years back, that we will only select player from our own nation.

So you see, FIFA allow us to have four competing international nations rather than one because we have strict controls on who can play for each nation - we can't just select someone from Kent as that undermines our UK rules.

A future FIFA president may not see that why we should have this country protection and us all competing as Team GB at the olympic games gives a prefect back up for their arguement!

Also, just for the record, over the last four years, there have been two cases where other nation's have challenged our right to have country protection. So a Team GB football team could have severe repercusions on the futures of Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland as footballing nations.

It's too risky to let our players compete, i'm a proud Scot, and would have to get to the stage where i can only cheer on Great Britian and not my homeland.

Back in the horrid days of Berti, he had the intention of have players such as Agathe and Alan Thompson and other players who would be eligable for a British Passport play for Scotland. Personally i'd rather see Scotland get humped 10 - 0 every game if it meant we were guarenteed a line up of 11 Scots born players. (And yes i do realise Quashie is English - but that's another matter, at least he has a Scottish grandparent!)

And that's my rant done

Palestine are allowed to compete suring Olympic Games and they're not even a real country, we should be competing as Scotland, nevermind Team GB!

Sandra
14-Nov-05, 20:14
Ah, I didn't know there was an agreement, and can now understand the reasons for not having a GB team.

If that's the case, why an earth was it suggested in the first place? Probably by someone who didn't know about the agreement either lol.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Nov-05, 21:05
Ah, I didn't know there was an agreement, and can now understand the reasons for not having a GB team.

If that's the case, why an earth was it suggested in the first place? Probably by someone who didn't know about the agreement either lol.

Maybe it was someone that wanted the 4 teams to cease to exist.

Blast!
14-Nov-05, 22:00
I think it's basically that Scotland and most Probably Wales also don't want to push the boundries just in case someone decides to question the legallity of these country protections. As it stand's, we hypothetically could put our players forward and there would be no problem. But it does just take one personal opinion to cause great upheaval thorughout world football.

Remember the Bosman ruling? Jean-Marc Bosman wanted a move to another club and this was blocked by rules that football took for granted. His case was refered the the European Court of Justice and the Bosman transfer ruling was born.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/sport/sport-and/markt/bosman/b_bosman_en.html

The FIFA president Sepp Blatter asserts that it will have no effect - but how can Scotland and Wales be sure that the FIFA president at the time of the 2012 games will agree?

I think that's what scares the SFA most. The SFA don't have a particulary reputation at the moment, how do you think the Tartan Army would react if we lost our footballing nationally because David Taylor decided to enter us forward for a GB Olympic Team? Not well at all, i for one would be outraged! :mad:

scotsboy
15-Nov-05, 06:20
I suggest you go an read the Olympic charter, and get some understanding of what the Olympic movement is about.

Sandra
15-Nov-05, 20:46
Scotsboy, the charter is 109 pages long, which bit are you referring to?

abalone
15-Nov-05, 22:00
Perhaps so. However, hopefully this will change after the Scottish parliamentary elections on May 1st, 2007. Scotland needs to increase the number of pro-Independence MSPs from the current 42 to 65 in order to achieve a parliamentary majority for Scottish Independence. Which would certainly put the Scottish cat among the British pigeons. At the moment representatives from parties such as the SNP, SSP, Greens, Liberals and even the tories are banding together to hopefully make this happen.

May Day, 2007 is also the exact date of the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union with England. By a strange twist of fate/history, Scots now a have a realistic and viable opportunity to bring an end to the so-called United Kingdom on the same day as the Brits will be celebrating its creation.

How ironic that the act of union with England was brought about by a Scottish king.The common people didn`t have any say so in those days.

Rheghead
15-Nov-05, 22:49
I think this thread is silly when the old firm have intimated a desire to play in the English Premiership at the same time that an English club plays in the SFA league. LOL!!

A melting pot surely?

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-05, 23:12
Seeing as we're all British now (according to some here), why then are the Olympics going to be staged in England - and not the whole of Great Britain?

Rheghead
15-Nov-05, 23:18
Seeing as we're all British now (according to some here), why then are the Olympics going to be staged in England - and not the whole of Great Britain?

I believe that some stages are held in Scotland.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I am sure the other Soviet states had similar concerns in 1980 and that other US states had the same in 1984.

Rheghead
15-Nov-05, 23:19

I believe that some stages are held in Scotland.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I am sure the other Soviet states had similar concerns in 1980 and that other US states had the same in 1984 and 1996.

scotsboy
16-Nov-05, 04:55
The Pepsi Challenge wrote: [quote]why then are the Olympics going to be staged in England - and not the whole of Great Britain?[quote]

Do some research Pepsi. The Olympic City in 2012 will be London, events will be staged around the UK. It is one of the benefits of being British!

scotsboy
16-Nov-05, 05:33
Sandra wrote:
Scotsboy, the charter is 109 pages long, which bit are you referring to?

The following indicated on the Olympic Movements official website as their mission should give an idea of what I was alluding to:

According to the Olympic Charter, established by Pierre de Coubertin, the goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.