PDA

View Full Version : Don't be too critical / Semi-Abstract & Still Life

scaraben
21-Mar-08, 17:31
Don't be too critical as I need your encouragement, yet try to be honest ! What you think of my flower painting ?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/seumas1285/Dontbetoocritical.jpg

changilass
21-Mar-08, 17:32
Don't know a lot about art, but I think they are great, well done.

karia
21-Mar-08, 17:35
Hi scaraben,

I'd say you have quite a talent for it and I like your use of colour.:D

Keep on enjoying it.

kariax

skimeister
21-Mar-08, 17:36
I really like the snapdragons - well done you

:D

Sapphire2803
21-Mar-08, 17:53
They're fantastic, are you selling any? They're just my cup of tea and it'd be kinda cool to have artwork that was created by someone I know*

*That's the org, extended definition of know [lol]

trix
21-Mar-08, 18:02
Hi scaraben,

I'd say you have quite a talent for it and I like your use of colour.:D

Keep on enjoying it.

kariax

fie one artist til anither ;)

well done scaraben....i thinks its really cool.....

danc1ngwitch
21-Mar-08, 18:05
sometimes the simple things are the best.
I like these, may i add that they remind me of cards i once saw.

Jenni
21-Mar-08, 18:16
I think your paintings are excellent. I especially like the poppies. Do you paint landscapes etc as I would love to see some of them.

Jenni

percy toboggan
21-Mar-08, 18:17
You have talent. I quite like 'em !

Venture
21-Mar-08, 18:20
I think your paintings are excellent. I especially like the poppies. Do you paint landscapes etc as I would love to see some of them.

Jenni
Jenni I thought they were tulips. Maybe Im wrong. Anyway they are very good.

rockchick
21-Mar-08, 18:54
I like the tulips best - very well done. Also I like "arrangements", the bottom arrangement I prefer to the top arrangement, but that's probably just my taste.

For what it's worth, I think the irises could have been improved. They seem more two-dimensional than the other flowers, and don't "flow" as well. But the tulip drawing I would buy (are they for sale?)

justine
21-Mar-08, 19:07
I think they are fantastic....Very well done you.......How long have you been painting....
I ask only because it ias something i lke to do, but i work in oils..I follow the method of the late Bob Ross.....

Im impressed with your work....

moureen
21-Mar-08, 19:27
Your flower paintings are beatiful I WISH I could paint !!!!

Max
21-Mar-08, 19:28
They are beautiful

henry20
21-Mar-08, 19:37
I like the tulips best - very well done. Also I like "arrangements", the bottom arrangement I prefer to the top arrangement, but that's probably just my taste.

For what it's worth, I think the irises could have been improved. They seem more two-dimensional than the other flowers, and don't "flow" as well. But the tulip drawing I would buy (are they for sale?)

I have to say I agree with Rockchicks statements.

Although I'm a bit sceptical of the bottom 'arrangement' - are you sure you painted it and its not a photo?? ;)

I am really envious. I'd love to be good at art, but I can barely draw a stick man :lol:

Edit: I'd have rathered the pictures were larger so you could get the full effect.

Margaret M.
21-Mar-08, 19:44
Really lovely -- super job! I especially like the tulips and the arrangement on the bottom. The iris looks a little washed out -- it may be caused by the background colour to some extent.

binbob
21-Mar-08, 19:58
absolutely gorgeous...so delicate.well done and keep painting.

Pouleriscaig
21-Mar-08, 19:59
Simply Excellent!:)

ciderally
21-Mar-08, 20:03
love them...well done you....what size are they...cant really tell.....think you should be changing your job:) is this just a little hobby? or do you spend a lot of time on them?

scorrie
21-Mar-08, 20:16
Art is not my field at all but I would say you had done a very good job with these. It takes a lot of courage to put your efforts up for appraisal, so well done for taking the plunge.

trix
21-Mar-08, 20:23
ye must be dead proud o' then yersel? ;)

Penelope Pitstop
21-Mar-08, 20:56
I think they look lovely. You should sell your paintings.....plenty folk would buy them.:)

Ricco
21-Mar-08, 21:09
Don't be too critical as I need your encouragement, yet try to be honest ! What you think of my flower painting ?

Scaraben - they look lovely and I would certainly buy one, so they must be good!

tootler
21-Mar-08, 21:11
Hi Scaraben,

Your paintings are great and of course you could sell them if you want to - maybe you already do sell your work?

If you'd like to have an opportunity to be exhibited and sell some pics, then you should join the Society of Caithness Artists and put some of your work into their big summer exhibition in Thurso - details at http://arts.caithness.org/group.php?id=17 Join the society for just a fiver a year and you can exhibit up to six paintings at their exhibition for free - I think it's usually early August so there's loads of time to get framing! You name the price on your pics & the society gets a very modest commission on any sold, or you can mark them "not for sale" if you can't bear to part with them.

Best of luck & don't ever doubt your talent - enjoy your painting!

badger
21-Mar-08, 22:24
Tootler got in before me - I was going to suggest just that. Look forward to seeing them in this summer's show.

dirdyweeker
21-Mar-08, 22:47
especially love the Tulips. If this is a hobby it is certainly a talent you have. Keep it up and let's see more.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Mar-08, 22:49
Brilliant.Yer like me ye passed the first test,they look like flowers but more shade and detail required.For me it is a hobby,if ye want to go further,then yer pictures are too light.Yer flowers are like my people,too light.A few darker tones and I think ye'll be alright.

anneoctober
21-Mar-08, 22:59

Delicate & beautiful. One problem though - I think we need to see more of your work !:) Anne xx

weeboyagee
22-Mar-08, 02:35
I have always admired certain artists and these I think are brilliant - colour, vitality and reality are all there. I prefer graphic art and abstract (yeah nutcase eh?) but these are lovely - well done!

WBG :cool:

Lolabelle
22-Mar-08, 03:01
I think they are lovely, but I agree with Rockchick, the iris is a bit flat, and as Margaret M said, it could just be the background colour. It may be too similar to the iris and not allowing enough contrast. Maybe, I'm not an art critic, but I know what I like, and I like these. Well Done You. :D

Metalattakk
22-Mar-08, 03:33

There's something about these that doesn't sit right with sceptical ol' me.

How did you digitise your paintings, and why is there text across the top of these images? Why did you not post each image individually?

horseman
22-Mar-08, 08:54
May'be a wee tad bland, but I wish i could anything near as well, an got a lot of pleasure from looking at them, you are quite gifted so please show us some more, especially as it is free just now;) you may be famous one day :)

badger
22-Mar-08, 12:36

How did you digitise your paintings, and why is there text across the top of these images? Why did you not post each image individually?

Do you know there are these wonderful little things called digital cameras - so I'm guessing the paintings were laid out, a photo taken, transferred to computer and text added. Now ain't that amazing :eek:

Metalattakk
22-Mar-08, 12:58
Aye, that's possible badger. But it's not very likely now, is it?

I mean, it'd be a lot of hassle to collate all the photos, add text etc., rather than just publishing them individually.

Still got my sceptics hat on, by the way. ;)

ŠAmethyst
22-Mar-08, 13:17
I really do like these... and would love to see more!

Boozeburglar
22-Mar-08, 14:02

Look perfectly fine to me.

The perspective is perhaps skewed a bit from trying to get them all in the same layout?

Scanned rather than photographed? Bit washed out perhaps.

Great work.

:)

Boozeburglar
22-Mar-08, 14:12
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/310/scar1ei1.th.jpg http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4917/scar2fg4.th.jpg

Metalattakk
22-Mar-08, 14:17
LOL! Not falling for that, Boozeburglar! Nice try though!

Boozeburglar
22-Mar-08, 14:28
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7409/scar3dy6.th.jpg http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9808/scar4dl7.th.jpg

Boozeburglar
22-Mar-08, 14:30
Dude, not falling for what?

I cannot compute!

scaraben
22-Mar-08, 17:56
First let me say thanks to you all for your encouraging words. ( I was overwhelmed ) I was just trying to evaluate what I'd done ........... Family never want to hurt your feelings !! they will say its nice anyway.... they won't put you away with a sore heart !! and I REALLY wanted to know what the anonymous public think.
A few remarks on your comments :
1. Thank you for helpful advice, I will take that on-board.
2. If some of these resembled something you had seen before, that is quite possible as I set a Pic. infront of me and aim to copy it, making alternations where I consider it improves the presentation as a whole. Someone questioned the bottom middle flower arrangement ( for example )
well, that was copied from a table mat !!
3. Do I sell them ? No I never have, I just paint when the "spirit moves me" ! for my own pleasure, though I have framed one or two for family members.
4. Someone said they would have preferred if I had presented them singly, well, as the Tulips seemed most popular I will open a new thread and stick the Tulips on it.
5. Yet another person expressed a preference for abstract work. I tend to dabble in it and have done one or two semi-abstract pictures, perhaps I'll stick in a couple of these for your reaction.
6. I think ( if I remember correctly ) someone asked if I did landscapes, the answer to that one is no. I'm rubbish at landscapes ! I prefer still life,
semi-abstract, flowers & plants. Useless at animals & humans ! So my portfolio is rather limited !
Seumas.

henry20
22-Mar-08, 18:00
2. If some of these resembled something you had seen before, that is quite possible as I set a Pic. infront of me and aim to copy it, making alternations where I consider it improves the presentation as a whole. Someone questioned the bottom middle flower arrangement ( for example )
well, that was copied from a table mat !!

Scaraben, I think you refer to my comment on these - I was implying that it was so good that it looked like a photo rather than a painting. It was meant as a compliment :D rather than a question on your ability!

scaraben
22-Mar-08, 19:02
On the slopes:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/seumas1285/Ontheslopescopy-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/seumas1285/ThestaffofLife.png

Rheghead
22-Mar-08, 20:09

They look great representationally, as if they should have pride of place in a 19th century naturalist's handbook but they lack some sort of artistic umph. Just being honest, soz.

scaraben
23-Mar-08, 11:38
For those who were sceptical:
What I did was 1. Set a picture infront of me.
2. Proceeded to draw it, altered as considered necessary. 3. Painted it. 4. Placed it in my portfolio. After around 3-4 years dug these pictures out and scaned them into my computer file. 5.Then simply put them on the net for you to assess !!!
THERE IS NO MYSTERY I CAN ASURE YOU !

Boozeburglar
23-Mar-08, 13:58
If working from art instruction manuals is good enough for Jack Vettriano, none of should care what our sources are.

I don't know what people expect; you are creating something that has a tradition already, and what you are doing fits very well in that.

Perhaps folk not familiar will be looking for something with 'oomph' or whatever, or something more stylistic. I am happy to observe gentle and 'plain' (i.e. realistic) observations of the subject. The fact that the pictures are a bit washed out may be due to your monitor displaying differently than most, have you checked your settings? They are a bit on the bright desaturated side; and of course they have been pulled or pushed so the perspective is compromised. You can also set your scanner up to provide a 'darker' scan. There may perhaps be a setting best suited to the subject too.

I am lucky enough to have some hand illustrated books of flora from late 19th to early 20th century. If the contributors were to have worried their work would be compared less than favourably to their contemporary Anne Cotterills they may never have bothered and that would be our loss.

I absolutely love the other work you provided. There is definitely a style there, and I like it!