PDA

View Full Version : Medicinal vs natural

justine
20-Mar-08, 10:21
so you are starting to get a cold,flu or even a headache, do you run to the medicine cabinet or do you let your body deal with it....
I hate taking medicines of all types so if i start to feel ill i try to let my body deal with it. drinking orange juice for vit c and i try to do it naturaly...

so are you a medicine taker or a believer in natural healing......

Fluff
20-Mar-08, 10:50
i hate taking medicine unless i have too. i am not into all this holistic stuff either.
but sometimes, you just got to take the pill...

i am quite lucky though. I am rarely ill :)

justine
20-Mar-08, 10:53
i agree. im not into the holistic stuff, i just hate having to put clack into my body, it does not seem to agree with me...but like you if i have tried to do this naturally i will take the tab last resort.....

My father heads for the chemist at the first sign of a sniffle...

Ash
20-Mar-08, 10:56
i was at docs last week as i had awful cold and sore chest was told to take paracetmol and ibrufoen every 4hrs. i felt worse, it took the pain away but made my head sore and kept needing the toilet, so i stopped and took vitamins,water and steamed myself

honey
20-Mar-08, 10:59
i dont really take medicine unless i feel really lousy,

unless i can feel a cold or a flu come on. I take a lemsip at the 1st sign of that. If not, i have mild asthma, and if it ends up in my chest i cant breath properly and it can get quite scary..

ciderally
20-Mar-08, 11:01
i run to the chemist and have a stock of most remedies....

justine
20-Mar-08, 11:04
i dont really take medicine unless i feel really lousy,

unless i can feel a cold or a flu come on. I take a lemsip at the 1st sign of that. If not, i have mild asthma, and if it ends up in my chest i cant breath properly and it can get quite scary..

It can be terrifying..I have bronchial asthma and if i do get a chest infecton it can be mad...When i lived in england i could hardly breathe, but since moving to wick, and getting clean fresh air i have not had many problems with my chest.....

badger
20-Mar-08, 12:00
Unless absolutely necessary I'd avoid medicines like the plague, likewise going into hospital. The NHS could save a fortune if only they could resist the temptation to prescribe drugs for anything and everything and try advocating a change of lifestyle including diet which can work miracles without any harmful side effects.

I know so many people who have suffered from over-prescribing, mis-prescribing, mis-diagnosis. I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for drugs, but not nearly so often or so much.

Done it myself - took prescribed pills for a while and then decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my life on them so tried a change of diet. It worked. And I feel so much better because I took control - I did it :) .

justine
20-Mar-08, 12:05
and do you know the worst i hate taking medicines, but i have a cupboard full of childrens medicines, from baby up...Hypocritical is the only word i can think of but then i have the kids to think of if they are in pain , its a hard one for me....

scotsboy
20-Mar-08, 12:25
Unless absolutely necessary I'd avoid medicines like the plague, likewise going into hospital. The NHS could save a fortune if only they could resist the temptation to prescribe drugs for anything and everything and try advocating a change of lifestyle including diet which can work miracles without any harmful side effects.

I know so many people who have suffered from over-prescribing, mis-prescribing, mis-diagnosis. I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for drugs, but not nearly so often or so much.

Done it myself - took prescribed pills for a while and then decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my life on them so tried a change of diet. It worked. And I feel so much better because I took control - I did it :) .

Well I can only assume that means you take medicine every time you are sick then;)

*Martin*
20-Mar-08, 12:50
Medicine's for girls! :lol:

When I do get ill I generally just tend to moan about it until it goes away! I don't get "ill" very often (I tend to believe that the flu knows I'll wear it down before it wears me down due to my manly strength! :cool: )

Although I now have arthritis and the only way I can get rid of that pain is with tablets (For just now anyways. I'm still working on a way of kickin it's butt)

justine
20-Mar-08, 13:28
[quote=*Martin*;361755]Medicine's for girls! :lol:

I do believe women have a higher pain threshold..;)

Shabbychic
20-Mar-08, 14:10
I prefer to go natural. During the winter I take Echinacea to boost my immune system and at the first signs of colds or flu I take honey in lemon juice. I also always have the good old Olbas Oil handy to clear congestion or sinuses.

Poultney lad
20-Mar-08, 16:23
Nothing like a big mug o hot toddy and a spoonful o honey :D

dook
20-Mar-08, 17:52
I'm a bloke so obviously haven't ever got ill.......

Seriously though, I was unfortunately struck down by polyarthritus about 5 years ago. No idea what caused it, certainly wasn't hanging about with a bunch of poly's. I was put onto a load of anti inflammatories until I met a guy who had been through the same. He told me to drop the anti inflams and load up on "evening primrose oil". It's meant to be really good and menopausal women swear by it.

Within 3 weeks all the pain had gone, I've got cracking breasts, and shout at the dishwasher for no reason.

Brilliant.

PS It really does work.

justine
20-Mar-08, 18:03
[quote=dook;361885]

Within 3 weeks all the pain had gone, I've got cracking breasts, and shout at the dishwasher for no reason.

nice one...made me chuckle that one.....:lol:[lol]

ett23
20-Mar-08, 21:37
I'm a bloke so obviously haven't ever got ill.......

As far as I was aware men are especially susceptible to the man cold. Here's the evidence....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mz6DktXFvg4

[lol][lol]

Faithers Appprentice
20-Mar-08, 21:41
It's not a cold, it's a flu. Damn near ended me twice thist winter. I was brave and managed to pull through, but thousands never made it.

nannydip
20-Mar-08, 22:51
Faithers Apprentice, I like your humour.:D

Fluff
20-Mar-08, 22:54
I do find there are some things though which are just too horrible to put up with. If i get a cold it goes to my sinuses and i just cannot cope with that. Sudafed all the way!! that and of course 'womens troubles' lol

George Brims
21-Mar-08, 01:17
A lot of people in the US have been using a product called "Airborne". It is supposed to help you resist the common cold. It proudly says on the label "Developed by a schoolteacher". I don't understand that, myself. I would no sooner take a drug developed by a schoolteacher than employ a mechanic to sort my teeth. Anyway this stuff has been very successful in terms of marketing - $100 million in sales so far. However it contains nothing that does you any good, and they got sued. The company is now supposed to pay out $23 million in compensation to people who were gullible enough to buy it.

Moi x
21-Mar-08, 01:40
Cool! But how big were their profit margins? Will they still show a profit after they've paid a $23M dishonesty tax?

Moi x

Ricco
21-Mar-08, 08:32
I go the natural route - unless I get a bad headache, when I will take a Neurophen or two. BTW, there is no such thing as man-flu or man-cold.... they are both down to a syndrome called 'Mommy medicine' ie two much molly coddling as youngsters.