PDA

View Full Version : Portray Us Thus!

karia
19-Mar-08, 00:17
There have been a plethora of threads in recent weeks that would suggest to anyone 'looking in' as a guest that we are all deeply involved in issues of drugs, alcohol and other addictive practices.

It is not the 'org' that I know and I would wish to suggest it speaks for a certain minority.

Welcome to all with a genuine interest in the area..it's a grand and welcoming place!

justine
19-Mar-08, 00:48
i should not think this would be the case...If someone looking in as a guest sees maybe 3-4 threads about addictions, alcohol, drugs, amongst all the other threads and thought we were all beer swigging, drug taking people that would make them very narrow minded and tunnel visioned..IMO:confused

Venture
19-Mar-08, 10:42
There have been a plethora of threads in recent weeks that would suggest to anyone 'looking in' as a guest that we are all deeply involved in issues of drugs, alcohol and other addictive practices.

It is not the 'org' that I know and I would wish to suggest it speaks for a certain minority.

Welcome to all with a genuine interest in the area..it's a grand and welcoming place!

Let's not forget the "certain minority" are part of the org too. You make it sound as if the org membership is made up of "them" and "us". We are all the same on here.

The issues you mention are part of life and openly discussed wherever you go. So why shouldn't they be discussed on the org?. They have certainly proved very popular with orgers judging by the response they've had.

Can you tell us what is the 'org' you know?.

Boozeburglar
19-Mar-08, 11:02
I cannae undertand a word o that.

I'll have to come back when I've had my fix.

:)

TBH
19-Mar-08, 11:05
Alcohol and category a,b and c drug problems exist here in Caithness the same as any other place in Scotland, refusing to discuss it won't make it disappear. Trying to portray Caithness as some kind of Utopian paradise isn't going to help matters.

Angela
19-Mar-08, 11:18
I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make, karia. What is 'the Org you know'? :confused

This is a general forum, and I don't see why serious subjects such as alcohol misuse and drug addiction shouldn't be discussed here -they're part of life, aren't they?

Why would that make folk feel unwelcome? :confused The only threads I feel might be a turn- off are those that could perhaps show us as a bunch of people whose main concern is scoring points off each other.

I don't think there's any reason for posts to be limited to only the happy or the trivial....surely we are real people living in the real world?

router
19-Mar-08, 11:26
i would say that any guest looking in on the org and seeing some serious discussion/debate on real life issues,would be quite impressed.better that than a board being filled with trivia that doesn't require much mental agility.....

angela5
19-Mar-08, 11:31
I'm curious Karia, what is the org you know?

TBH
19-Mar-08, 11:47
Caithness is the place to be. If you decide to settle here remember that there is no need to lock your doors as no-one would ever dream of entering and stealing anything. That nice shiny car you have worked so hard for, leave that open to, you can even leave the keys in as it will still be there in the morning possibly with a full tank of petrol and no go-faster stripes added over-night.
Having a child? No problem, our maternity unit has never been under threat so don't worry, you will never have to make the journey to Inverness unless it is a problem our hospital can't accomodate. Pre-school? You will always have a good choice of playgroup with no chance of closures and when they reach high school age they will have a choice of shiny new school buildings to further their education in. We also do a nice line of stepford wives or husbands that come with a full lifetime guarantee and free rose tinted glasses. Have a nice day.

Venture
19-Mar-08, 11:57
Caithness is the place to be. If you decide to settle here remember that there is no need to lock your doors as no-one would ever dream of entering and stealing anything. That nice shiny car you have worked so hard for, leave that open to, you can even leave the keys in as it will still be there in the morning possibly with a full tank of petrol and no go-faster stripes added over-night.
Having a child? No problem, our maternity unit has never been under threat so don't worry, you will never have to make the journey to Inverness unless it is a problem our hospital can't accomodate. Pre-school? You will always have a good choice of playgroup with no chance of closures and when they reach high school age they will have a choice of shiny new school buildings to further their education in. We do a nice line of stepford wives or husbands with a full lifetime guarantee. Have a nice day.
TBH you forgot about the free rose tinted glasses:eek:

TBH
19-Mar-08, 11:59
TBH you forgot about the free rose tinted glasses:eek:Thanks Venture, I have updated the post.:lol:

justine
19-Mar-08, 12:03
Having a child? No problem, our maternity unit has never been under threat so don't worry, you will never have to make the journey to Inverness unless it is a problem our hospital can't accomodate. Pre-school? You will always have a good choice of playgroup with no chance of closures and when they reach high school age they will have a choice of shiny new school buildings to further their education in. We do a nice line of stepford wives or husbands that come with a full lifetime guarantee and free rose tinted glasses. Have a nice day.

Cant give you rep so i will say it here...Fantastic, Now all that look in will see we have the best place to be with no illusions...

justine
19-Mar-08, 12:12
I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make, karia. What is 'the Org you know'? :confused

This is a general forum, and I don't see why serious subjects such as alcohol misuse and drug addiction shouldn't be discussed here -they're part of life, aren't they?

Why would that make folk feel unwelcome?The only threads I feel might be a turn- off are those that could perhaps show us as a bunch of people whose main concern is scoring points off each other.

I don't think there's any reason for posts to be limited to only the happy or the trivial....surely we are real people living in the real world?

I think we all know the point she was making.:roll:.

.But i dont feel that the org is any different than it was last year..well maybe a little...If we did not speak about the likes of addictions which are in this town and most others we could be accused of being blind to the obvious......There are many subjects posted on here that are less trivial, and if i was a guest i could probably come up with a few reasons not to join, but as most orgers are not simple or single minded it makes for a fun forum......I tell people about the org all the time, my friends in england love reading what goes on in this little highland town i moved to......And i am sure that if they decided to join our community then they would be able to make up their own minds what they find interesting....

Anne x
19-Mar-08, 12:26
Life is not all about happy things we get bad things happening as well and if you air your views it is surely up to the individual whether they post on that or not Im sure bad things happen in Caithness like every where else in the world

I observed the org for a long time before I joined last year so I can not comment on whether it has changed or not my regret is I did not join sooner

I have noticed that if someone gets bad news and they are alone with no one to talk to airing there feelings on the forum helps and people respond accordingly

Life is like a box of chocolates Im quite sure the forum is not different

karia
19-Mar-08, 12:33
Life is like a box of chocolates Im quite sure the forum is not different

That's right Anne...so why so much focus on the strawberry creams?;)

Angela
19-Mar-08, 12:35
Life is like a box of chocolates

lol Anne, I seem to have got the wretched Brazil nut rather a lot in recent years! [evil]

I agree with you that other Orgers can be wonderfully kind and supportive in times of trouble. :)

justine
19-Mar-08, 12:37
lol Anne, I seem to have got the wretched Brazil nut rather a lot in recent years! [evil]

I agree with you that other Orgers can be wonderfully kind and supportive in times of trouble. :)

Cant stand Brazil Nuts, make me cringe..........

Now that the almighty has arrived we may get an explanation as to why we should not talk about anything other than sprincleaning....

Boozeburglar
19-Mar-08, 12:46
I think Karia was just remarking that someone looking in might get a skewed view of Caithness folk; and as such putting a notice there for them. I don't think she was suggesting peeps should not be discussing any of the issues mentioned.

At one point in the distant past there were several threads at one time instigated by certain people, all pretty much full of racist diatribe.

Concerned me the way it read, as I know Caithness is not the natural home for such views, (indeed they were coming from non Caithnesians in the South.)

This is, after all, not just a community message board. It is a message board on an award winning high profile website that gets a lot of traffic from people who are either interested in the county from the point of view of moving to or visiting it. It represents the county in a way most such sites do not.

justine
19-Mar-08, 12:55
I think Karia was just remarking that someone looking in might get a skewed view of Caithness folk; and as such putting a notice there for them. I don't think she was suggesting peeps should not be discussing any of the issues mentioned.

At one point in the distant past there were several threads at one time instigated by certain people, all pretty much full of racist diatribe.

Concerned me the way it read, as I know Caithness is not the natural home for such views, (indeed they were coming from non Caithnesians in the South.)

This is, after all, not just a community message board. It is a message board on an award winning high profile website that gets a lot of traffic from people who are either interested in the county from the point of view of moving to or visiting it. It represents the county in a way most such sites do not.

Take it we have had our fix...;)4 coffees and a couple of cigs maybe..

That may be fair enough, but i still dont see what the "Certain Minority" has to do with it and why all orgers are not the same in karias eyes....What is the org she knows, or is that something we are all supposed to think, This is my org, its not what i want it to be....now that would be condascending...

Alot of threads posted by many people are interesting and true to life and many are not, but i cant see any guest thinking we are sad people because we like to discuss all ways of life, whether it be about birth, death, marriage, or our next door neighbour...

karia
19-Mar-08, 12:56
Au contraire!

I think we should talk about all manner of things from the tivial, which you so despise, to any political concept or debate...That is my very point!

Of course addictions and abuse of alcohol mar lives and warrant discussion but you wouldn't want anyone thinking that was All Caithness. Org was about....would you?

However as the personal mud slinging has started and all hope of reasoned discussion gone with its arrival, I will close this thread.

Thanks to all for your considered and (in most cases!) mannerly responses.:)