PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Wanted

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 09:53
Does anyone have any ideas where a 16 year old might be able to get a job in Thurso from now until the end of summer....if I am going to be resitting next year I thought I could just work for the rest of this academic year and help my cashflow problem...?

Venture
18-Mar-08, 10:23
Does anyone have any ideas where a 16 year old might be able to get a job in Thurso from now until the end of summer....if I am going to be resitting next year I thought I could just work for the rest of this academic year and help my cashflow problem...?

Don't think the school will be to happy with you taking the rest of the school year off. The more studying the better for when you sit (not re-sit which means you have sat an exam, not passed and are sitting it again) your highers in May. Be careful if you start earning you might end up having to pay rent etc and then you will be worse off.:~(

mccaugm
18-Mar-08, 10:28
You could try BT as they take on 16 year olds. Morson's might be useful as well as they are another agency employer.

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 10:29
I'm not sitting this year, so the rest of this academic year is pointless. Good advice about might having to pay rent though! Would be best off with a cash in hand job!

Lindsay
18-Mar-08, 10:30
Hi There,

What about hotels, you have a few good ones up there, surely it would be worth looking at?

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 10:34
Lindsay I was working in The Weigh Inn for about 4/5 months last year...was AWFUL! I vowed enevr again! Thanks anyway! :D

KCI
18-Mar-08, 10:38
I'm not sitting this year, so the rest of this academic year is pointless.

I wouldn't say the rest of the year is pointless. You have the advantage of extra time to study before you sit your exams. A lot of people would be grateful for that. You have a chance to get some really good scores if you spend the extra time studying - the better your marks, the more chances you have e.g. uni, college, a good job etc.

newpark
18-Mar-08, 10:41
I wouldn't say the rest of the year is pointless. You have the advantage of extra time to study before you sit your exams. A lot of people would be grateful for that. You have a chance to get some really good scores if you spend the extra time studying - the better your marks, the more chances you have e.g. uni, college, a good job etc.

Totally agree. Education is never pointless. Going to School every day will help you catch up and help you next year.

justine
18-Mar-08, 10:48
try tescos....they always taking people on...What kind of things do you like to do.....

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 10:54
I like to do anything as long as I get cash for it! TBH the rest of this academic year wouldn't help me in the long term.

Venture
18-Mar-08, 10:58
Are you sure you would be allowed to leave at this point?. Is there not just two leaving dates throughout the year you can use. You are very lucky that you have been given an extra year to prepare for your highers you should take advantage of it. Im sure plenty of your fellow pupils would love to swap places with you. Anyway how will you manage to fit in a job with the org. Averaging 30 posts a day you'll probably suffer withdrawals if you start work.

ciderally
18-Mar-08, 11:04
I like to do anything as long as I get cash for it! TBH the rest of this academic year wouldn't help me in the long term.
just watch what your getting into with your benifits rent ect, your allowed to earn a bit extra but keep within the limit, if you mess things up you could end up in a nightmare situation...so think on...xx see if you had spanish you could be out here for the seasonal work..:roll:

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:04
Nope, after one is 16, you can leave at any point. Most pupils would be allowed to have an extra year if they asked unless they were disruptive. And all my fellow pupils are laughing at me for choosing to stay an extra year!

angela5
18-Mar-08, 11:17
try tescos....they always taking people on...What kind of things do you like to do.....

Tesco or any other decent employer won't take on benefit claimants who want to make a buck on the side.

Venture
18-Mar-08, 11:21
Nope, after one is 16, you can leave at any point. Most pupils would be allowed to have an extra year if they asked unless they were disruptive. And all my fellow pupils are laughing at me for choosing to stay an extra year!
Maybe they'll be laughing even louder now that you're leaving[lol] What year are you in now and are you at school at the moment?

golach
18-Mar-08, 11:25
Would be best off with a cash in hand job!
Thats illeagal, hope the DSS are watching this [disgust]

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:27
Maybe they'll be laughing even louder now that you're leaving[lol] What year are you in now and are you at school at the moment?

I'm not planning on leaving permanently..just until the start of the next academic year (just after summer!).

Venture
18-Mar-08, 11:29
I'm not planning on leaving permanently..just until the start of the next academic year (just after summer!).
Maybe Im wrong but I can't see the school allowing this. What if everybody had the same idea as you?

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:33
Maybe Im wrong but I can't see the school allowing this. What if everybody had the same idea as you?

I think due to my circumstances the school will allow it.:eek:

Venture
18-Mar-08, 11:35
Have you asked them yet?

KCI
18-Mar-08, 11:38
I'm sure there are other kids who have certain circumstances, which make studying for exams difficult. But I'm sure the school are as flexible as they can be, but there are still rules to keep, which even you need to follow, surely?

golach
18-Mar-08, 11:39
Oh do tell us your "circumstances", I am sure you want to tell us, you seem to want to know all about us. [disgust]

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:46
No golach, it's private.

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:48
I'm sure there are other kids who have certain circumstances, which make studying for exams difficult. But I'm sure the school are as flexible as they can be, but there are still rules to keep, which even you need to follow, surely?

Studying isn't difficult it's near impossible. I've left home and now I've just moved into an empty house. Didn't even have carpets! So I'm trying my hardest to get sorted.

justine
18-Mar-08, 11:50
Tesco or any other decent employer won't take on benefit claimants who want to make a buck on the side.

I was not aware that Rob was on benefits. I was under the impression you did not get benefits if you were 16, but then what would i know about robs personal status...sounds like you are implying rob maybe trying to defraud the benefit agency......

dandod
18-Mar-08, 11:50
No golach, it's private.

quite right,its rude to pry into others personal lives.i know they probably wont pay much but have you thought about a paperboy job it is cash in hand.great avatar by the way.:Razz

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:52
I was not aware that Rob was on benefits. I was under the impression you did not get benefits if you were 16, but then what would i know about robs personal status...sounds like you are implying rob maybe trying to defraud the benefit agency......

No! It was meant more in jest than anything else! The benefits agency have been good to me. Yeah I get housing benefit, council tax redemption and income support.

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:55
quite right,its rude to pry into others personal lives.i know they probably wont pay much but have you thought about a paperboy job it is cash in hand.great avatar by the way.:Razz

Thanks dandod - it is rude to pry.....I used to deliver papers....also told myself then never again. Can't cope with early mornings, I'm up eary enough anyway to get housework done. Thanks for the suggestions and the avatar comment too!

justine
18-Mar-08, 11:55

thats a sticky one.. My oldest dughter who is 18 and at college is going back to study at wick high to do bits that she missed in england, when we came here all my kids got brought forward a year as the scottish schooling is different.so instead of her coming to wick and doing her GCSE she went to college because of her date of birth....She asked if she can go back to study and as far as i am aware they have said yes......

dandod
18-Mar-08, 11:57
have you spoken to homeaid.as far as i understand they help people out who may not be able to furnish their house.they may be able to give you carpets or other stuff you need.how you still manage to keep your chin up and make everyone else smile ill never know,you are an inspiration to all.:Razz

justine
18-Mar-08, 11:57
No! It was meant more in jest than anything else! The benefits agency have been good to me. Yeah I get housing benefit, council tax redemption and income support.

Your personal status is nothing to do with any on here, some things are left better private...I know..............:eek:

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 11:58
Yeah Justine, the schools seem to be pretty good up here when it comes to certain things...and I kind of know the rector of THS personally so it helps if I find it easier to speak to her.

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:01
Yeah Justine, the schools seem to be pretty good up here when it comes to certain things...and I kind of know the rector of THS personally so it helps if I find it easier to speak to her.
not to bad, but there are still room for improvements...........

angela5
18-Mar-08, 12:02

What did you think Rob was living off? Fresh air!!
I certainly was implying a 'cash in hand job' is defrauding the benefit agency.
Well now Rob has cleared his personal finances up, don't you think a cash in hand job for him is fraud?

golach
18-Mar-08, 12:06
Isounds like you are implying rob maybe trying to defraud the benefit agency......
Rob16d was the first to bring up the "Cash in Hand" subject, that is fraud.
Not only of the Benefits Agency, but of us taxpayers [disgust]

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:17
What did you think Rob was living off? Fresh air!!
I certainly was implying a 'cash in hand job' is defrauding the benefit agency.
Well now Rob has cleared his personal finances up, don't you think a cash in hand job for him is fraud?

yes i do think cash i hand is fraudulent..if you are claiming, but then there are many bosses who are willing to pay cash in hand, they call it cheap labour...But as i stated i dont spend my time wondering what expences rob has and what he lives off....Why would i..I have a life other than wondering how people live....

Why should i concern myself with other peoples finances.....i am not an accountant, bank manager, or even robs mother, what rob does and how he lives is nothing to do with me or anyone else for that matter.....

I worked practically most of my life and only stopped four years ago when my twins were born,and even then i did volunteer work running a youth club, where i could take my kids along with me, and anyone who has twins knows how hard it is, but because rob is on benefits does not make me see him with any less respect. I hope he gets his job and keeps himself in eduction to better himself.............he is trying thats for sure.....:Razz

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:20
Rob16d was the first to bring up the "Cash in Hand" subject, that is fraud.
Not only of the Benefits Agency, but of us taxpayers [disgust]

when i replied to the implication of fraud post, i had not read who started it..my fault for being less observent....I dont think robs is intending to get a cash in hand job that makes it fraud.........but then we will never know...

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-08, 12:21
I'm up eary enough anyway to get housework done.

Lol!

Just how many hours of housework do you have to do wee man?

Perhaps you should move to a smaller place.

:confused

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:22
Lol!

Just how many hours of housework do you have to do wee man?

Perhaps you should move to a smaller place.

:confused

you just answered it for him.. He can get a job doing peoples housework, he obvioulsy enjoys it...Start with mine please.......:lol:

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 12:23
yes i do think cash i hand is fraudulent..if you are claiming, but then there are many bosses who are willing to pay cash in hand, they call it cheap labour...But as i stated i dont spend my time wondering what expences rob has and what he lives off....Why would i..I have a life other than wondering how people live....

Why should i concern myself with other peoples finances.....i am not an accountant, bank manager, or even robs mother, what rob does and how he lives is nothing to do with me or anyone else for that matter.....

I worked practically most of my life and only stopped four years ago when my twins were born,and even then i did volunteer work running a youth club, where i could take my kids along with me, and anyone who has twins knows how hard it is, but because rob is on benefits does not make me see him with any less respect. I hope he gets his job and keeps himself in eduction to better himself.............he is trying thats for sure.....:Razz

Thanks Justine, that's really cheered me up! Well done on the volunteering work, says a lot about your personality! :D

A lot of people who are quick to judge just because I'm on benefits don't realise the fulll story and really upset me.

And anyway I'm not actually getting cash in hand, I just mentioned it angela!

golach
18-Mar-08, 12:24
when i replied to the implication of fraud post, i had not read who started it..my fault for being less observent....I dont think robs is intending to get a cash in hand job that makes it fraud.........but then we will never know...
Sorry Justine, I disagree, "Cash in Hand" is Fraud and should be stamped out severely, I have no hesitation is reporting any of this typ of fraud when I see it

TBH
18-Mar-08, 12:26
not to bad, but there are still room for improvements...........In what way Justine?

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 12:28
Sorry Justine, I disagree, "Cash in Hand" is Fraud and should be stamped out severely, I have no hesitation is reporting any of this typ of fraud when I see it

Golach if you read properly then I am not participating in cash in hand work! All I did was mention it as a possibility...hardly a crime in itself?

Also, even if I did participate in cash in hand work...that wouldn't be fraud.....it would only count as fraud if I never informed the DSS of my earnings. So I suggest you look into the benefits system more deeply.

angela5
18-Mar-08, 12:29
Would be best off with a cash in hand job!

Slippery Slope best avoided.

And no-one is judging you, don't beat yourself up!

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:30

Of course Cash in hand is FRAUD and i agree you should report it, but i have not said once that i believe it to be anything other than fraud....But i dont think that is robs intenetions...thats my point....So how are you dissagreeing with me..if my posts are read well you will see that i agree it is fraud...and tyou dont have to be sorry to disagree, but i am lost in where i am disagreeing with you....:confused
I mearly pointed out that i did not think robs intentions is to get a cash in hand job, and defraud the system....:)

Venture
18-Mar-08, 12:30
Golach if you read properly then I am not participating in cash in hand work! All I did was mention it as a possibility...hardly a crime in itself?

Also, even if I did participate in cash in hand work...that wouldn't be fraud.....it would only count as fraud if I never informed the DSS of my earnings. So I suggest you look into the benefits system more deeply.

Well tell us Rob what does Cash in Hand mean in your opinion?

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 12:33
Well tell us Rob what does Cash in Hand mean in your opinion?

The literal meaning is that one would work and recieve payment directly as cash! It would only be fraud if one did not inform the DSS of their cash in hand earnings!

golach
18-Mar-08, 12:33
Wow rob16d, your an expert on the Benefits System at 16 years old:eek: I bow to your superior knowledge
What does that convey to the youth of today?

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 12:35
Anyway back to the topic of this forum! Justine I'll do yer housework!

Of course I'll write a letter to the JobcentrePlus with details of my earnings so they can adjust my income support as deemed appropriate!

angela5
18-Mar-08, 12:35
The literal meaning is that one would work and recieve payment directly as cash! It would only be fraud if one did not inform the DSS of their cash in hand earnings!

I think the most one can earn is £20 the rest of your wages go to the DSS.
One would be better off getting a job full/part time.

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:36
In what way Justine?

All things can take improvement..I dont understand non private school education as i did not have the luxury of going to anything other than a private up class snobby school, and so i will feel that the education for non private schools can be improved...I noticed in the news the other day of plans to allow children to start the day playing nintendo to get their brains sorted before class, i will find the link...good reasons, but i find it strange...
Also they go on about primary children not doing enough for their english, reading writing , but when you get to secondary school spelling does not count...My daughters spelling is terrible and wehn i speak to teachers about this they tell me they dont take that into account, so there are room for improvements, IMO......

Venture
18-Mar-08, 12:37
I'm not sitting this year, so the rest of this academic year is pointless. Good advice about might having to pay rent though! Would be best off with a cash in hand job!

Justine - I was the one who mentioned to Rob that if he worked it would affect his benefits. Meaning the amount paid would be taken into account. He was the one who suggested he would be best off with a cash in hand job. I know what that suggests to me.

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 12:40
Justine - I was the one who mentioned to Rob that if he worked it would affect his benefits. Meaning the amount paid would be taken into account. He was the one who suggested he would be best off with a cash in hand job. I know what that suggests to me.

It suggests I could easily get a cash in hand job and avoid paying taxes (which I do not have to do at the current time).

It does NOT mean I am going to.

So you've most probably jumped the gun here.

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:50
Anyway back to the topic of this forum! Justine I'll do yer housework!

Of course I'll write a letter to the JobcentrePlus with details of my earnings so they can adjust my income support as deemed appropriate!

cheers rob........hope you have a big brush and pan handy.....

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-08, 12:50

From that post it is clear you meant taking cash in hand to avoid declaring earnings, otherwise you would not avoid a decrease in your benefit.

To be honest, I think the restrictions on earning whilst on benefit are far too, er, restrictive.

It probably costs more to administrate than it is worth to penalise someone for earning up to £100 a week, which I think would be a fair limit, short term at least.

:)

Venture
18-Mar-08, 12:51

What did you mean by this then. If you intend to declare your earnings why must it be cash.

grandma
18-Mar-08, 12:53
Sorry Rob, but it is illegal for an employer to take you on, even for £10 a week, and not notify HM Revenue and Customs that they have paid you. You don't necessarily have to be earning enough to pay tax or national insurance but they still have to know about it.

justine
18-Mar-08, 12:54
What did you mean by this then. If you intend to declare your earnings why must it be cash.

maybe he does not know how to work bank machine or does not have a chip n pin card...cash would make his wallet fatter,,,,,:lol:

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 12:54

From my past experience I was paid via the bank, but I was always paid a week after I did the work...NOT handy when there are bills to be paid!

If I had the cash direct in hand then I could pay my bills instantly without getting warning letters from electric suppliers etc.

Venture
18-Mar-08, 13:00
From my past experience I was paid via the bank, but I was always paid a week after I did the work...NOT handy when there are bills to be paid!

If I had the cash direct in hand then I could pay my bills instantly without getting warning letters from electric suppliers etc.

We're not talking about you being paid your wages in cash we're talking about cash in hand, your words, not cash direct in hand. Cash is available from cash machines if you're paid through a bank anyway. Everyone has a lie week not only 16 year olds.

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 13:06
Yes Venture cash is available throught the bank, but it usually takes about a week to be processed...not handy when I need it instantly.

Anyway, is anybody else going to kindly answer my original question? Thanks though to everyone who has so far!

angela5
18-Mar-08, 13:10
Well the 2 jobs that were suggested you said you had already done them and your not willing to do that kind of work again.

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-08, 13:12
Everyone has a lie week not only 16 year olds.

Some lie a lot longer.

;)

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 13:14
Yeah that's right angela, so I am looking for other suggestions...

Never mind, if anyone has any further ideas they can email me.

rab999@msn.com

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 13:20
Change of plan, just post if you have any more job ideas.

Not interested in a lesson as to how the DSS works.

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-08, 13:33
Oh he has brought his ball back out.

Why don't you just get whatever job you can get if you need one.

You can always look around whilst working.

Go on, take a break from all that housework.

Venture
18-Mar-08, 13:41
Change of plan, just post if you have any more job ideas.

Not interested in a lesson as to how the DSS works.

You mentioned before that you have 8 1's in credit standard grades. Maybe if you tell us what you gained them in we can suggest what kind of job you should go for. Will it be part or full time.

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 13:59
Full or part time- whatever I can get.

I got my standard grades in Maths, English, French, Chemistry, Biology, RE, Computing Studies and Modern Studies.

Why does money make the world go round, it governs how people's lives are!

mums angels
18-Mar-08, 18:33

Depending on an individuals circumstances and willingness to learn the school are very helpful .. i left at 16 in March due to finding out i was pregnant but was allowed to sit my standard grades in May then was allowed to return after summer as an Adult returner one day a week ( my choice ) rest was home study the school were very cooperative and that was 9 years ago .

EDDIE
18-Mar-08, 18:34
Lindsay I was working in The Weigh Inn for about 4/5 months last year...was AWFUL! I vowed enevr again! Thanks anyway! :D

For someone that needs money the above attitude is wrong you should take whatever job u can get caithness isnt the place were theres loads of jobs to choose from.
To be honest about i dont think u no really what u want to do and think u should concentrate on your education first and if u have money problems u should trying find out what benifits u are entitled to im sure by law that your parents have to support u if u are staying in eductation until your 21 but u would to check that one out.

mums angels
18-Mar-08, 18:36
with the grass cutting season starting maybe you could do a bit of that for the little extra that you'd be entilted to get without it effecting benifits etc ..

i'm looking for a grass cutter for this year to do two gardens :lol:

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-08, 19:11
Mums

Do you have your own mower, etc.?

justine
18-Mar-08, 19:48
Mums

Yep and he loves doing it.....;)

mums angels
18-Mar-08, 19:52
Mums

yes i do and would be happy to let someone use it to cut my grass :lol:

Boozeburglar
18-Mar-08, 19:59
Sounds like you got a job wee man!

Stewart
18-Mar-08, 22:15
Hi Robert. Try asking for application forms for Tesco/Co-Op. Don't know if Tesco are actively looking for staff right now, but it'll do no harm to ask for a form.

YummyMummy
18-Mar-08, 22:26
The Castle of Mey are looking for folk to work over the season - all sorts of stuff. Here, you could do guided tours; sounds like you'd be good at that!

Advert in local press last week.

Fran
19-Mar-08, 03:14
You can earn £20 a WEEK WITHOUT IT AFFECTING YOUR RENT OR BENEFITS, IF YOU NOTIFY THEM FIRST. gARDENING WOULD BE A GOOD JOB, IM LOOKING FOR ONE FOR MY SMALL GARDEN, OR HOW ABOUT A HANDYMAN, OLD FOLK ARE ALWAYS WANTING LITLE ODD JOBS DONE, or hotel work.Walking dogs is another one.
sorry my capitals button got stuck!