PDA

View Full Version : laptop

ciderally
17-Mar-08, 20:46
dont know whats happened but now have a thin blue line on my monitor...any ideas?:eek:

blueivy
17-Mar-08, 20:54
dont know whats happened but now have a thin blue line on my monitor...any ideas?:eek:

I used to get this with an old machine and it was my videocard. A poweroff and poweron fixed it.

However the most likely cause is a monitor problem - dead pixels - I have a monitor with this exact problem. I assume your monitor is an LCD?

ciderally
17-Mar-08, 21:40
think so ..only had it for about 9 months..its one of those pen flick tablet ones..though i never use that...would a power surge have caused it? and i have been leaving it on thru the night?....its just a really thin blue line ..but a pain....cheers

blueivy
17-Mar-08, 21:46
think so ..only had it for about 9 months..its one of those pen flick tablet ones..though i never use that...would a power surge have caused it? and i have been leaving it on thru the night?....its just a really thin blue line ..but a pain....cheers

What's the make and model out of curiosity (or nosiness whatever you want to call it :-))

I suppose a powersurge could have caused it (you really never know) but to be honest I doubt it.

Dead pixels just happen - the pixels no longer turn off and on and they end up as a black dot in the screen or sometimes a blue line (never seen them any other colour). They happen with brand new monitors (I've had monitors just out of hte box arrive with dead pixels). Even though it's under warranty (at 9 months old) most companies will not replace a monitor for a dead pixel. A dead line of pxels is another matter though and I would guess they will replace it for that. Most LCD's come with a 3 year warranty these days so you should be able to get a replacement.

Is the blue line there from the moment you switch the PC on (ie. when the POST screen appears with the memory check and the drives available etc.)? If it is then you can pretty much guarantee it's not a video card / Windows problem but a monitor problem.

ciderally
17-Mar-08, 21:56
hi and thanks for that..its a HP Pavilion tx 1000....im going to check when it appears so i will post this just now and then reboot....

krispast8
17-Mar-08, 22:00
Another test if possible for you is to plug the laptop into a regular monitor using the vga port.

If it displays fine on the monitor then you know the graphics card is ok and its the lcd that is knackered. If so i hope its still under warranty

ciderally
17-Mar-08, 22:20
well turned it compleatly off....line appeared immeadiatly when switched on.. then just before logon screen came up it flashed off then appeared again with the logon screen....?:roll: must say olso that it has started to take ages to start up it just sits with the HP logo for ages...only started doing that..

blueivy
17-Mar-08, 22:25
well turned it compleatly off....line appeared immeadiatly when switched on.. then just before logon screen came up it flashed off then appeared again with the logon screen....?:roll: must say olso that it has started to take ages to start up it just sits with the HP logo for ages...only started doing that..

If the line appeared as soon as you switched it on then the screen is bad. I now understand it's a tablet PC (after you gave me the model number) and not a LCD monitor!

It will need to be repaired / replaced under warranty. Give HP a phone or log the failure online and get them to replace it.

Remember before you send it off take a COMPLETE backup (even if they say they'll only replace the screen and send the original system back - they have a nasty habit of wiping the system and putting the OS back on).

Sitting with the HP logo could be loads of things. It could also be a coincidence it's suddenly started happening.

ciderally
17-Mar-08, 22:26
Another test if possible for you is to plug the laptop into a regular monitor using the vga port.

If it displays fine on the monitor then you know the graphics card is ok and its the lcd that is knackered. If so i hope its still under warranty
hi krispast and welcome to the org...dont have anouther monitor here but could take it to the web cafe..thanks...ps i do have a flat screen tele with all sorts of bits for the pc....:roll: am i having a blond moment or would that do:eek:

ciderally
17-Mar-08, 22:33
aw thanks for that blue ivy ...i will give them a call..it will be a performance though as we bought it in spain so probably all spanish speaking helpdesk...my spanish aint that good...but thanks again..xx

krispast8
17-Mar-08, 23:04
Hi, and thanks.

Your lcd tv might work, look for a vga input and worth a try if you have a suitable cable handy.

If your still under warranty with HP then just raise a ticket as said above and get them to do all this legwork for you and get it fixed.

ciderally
18-Mar-08, 00:37
hi both...have logged a report online with HP...i will wait and see what happens...thanks again xx

rob16d
18-Mar-08, 08:45
Hope this gets sorted for ya! It's not nice when expensive equipment goes wrong! :(

ciderally
18-Mar-08, 11:24
got a reply by email this morning saying that its still in warenty with a number for postal support here in spain so i have to phone them and get it organised.. that should be fun as they dont usually have any english speakers and my spanish isent that fluent...but will get it done somehow...cheers again guys..xxi probably wouldent have done ought about it without your input...xx

krispast8
18-Mar-08, 22:29
Thats good to hear.

Make sure you back up any important photos, music etc. They probably won't do this but HP may wipe the hard drive and load on a new Windows image rather than playing about with drivers to get it working.

Bobbyian
19-Mar-08, 20:25
Hi Ciderally I had the same problem with my work Laptop also a HP Pavilion we were going to ditch it when I decided to take a look at the LCD monitor conectors behind the display we found that approx middle of the back of the LCD Display are two connectors for the display and one of them was sliding slightly out of place having corrected this it is now OK and has been running since then for 6 months with no problem the same failure was also on another HP we think it is down to either bad factory connection and / or rough treatment so if possible get them to check this point best of luck

ciderally
20-Mar-08, 14:14
Hi Ciderally I had the same problem with my work Laptop also a HP Pavilion we were going to ditch it when I decided to take a look at the LCD monitor conectors behind the display we found that approx middle of the back of the LCD Display are two connectors for the display and one of them was sliding slightly out of place having corrected this it is now OK and has been running since then for 6 months with no problem the same failure was also on another HP we think it is down to either bad factory connection and / or rough treatment so if possible get them to check this point best of luck

aw thanks for that..will do...havent been rough with it ..infact the oppisite lookafter it well... its hardly moved from the desk...but i will make a note of what you say and that i know of other cases of the same thing happening...wouldent know how to sort it myself....cheers again