PDA

View Full Version : Ousting bad reps

justine
17-Mar-08, 13:29
why do people feel the need to oust someone for giving them bad rep....I dont see many saying Thanks for thegood rep publicly....so why is it i see more threads with people saysing thanks for the bad rep..We are all allowed to give rep wether it be bad or good, but what are you achieving by posting only the negative reps you recieve....:confused

Metalattakk
17-Mar-08, 13:38
The problem is, people take everything personally. If I rep someone's post, it's the post I am repping, not the user.

People will get offended at anything these days... :roll:

angela5
17-Mar-08, 13:38
Sorry Justine i'm not seeing any 'boo hoo i just received bad rep' threads.:confused

Boozeburglar
17-Mar-08, 13:39
I have been given bad rep once, and the reason given was that I was talking rubbish.

On that basis I cannot understand why I don't get 90% bad rep.

:)

Sorry Justine i'm not seeing any 'boo hoo i just received bad rep' threads.:confused

Recently I have seen one or two threads, and a few posts, referring to bad rep received and naming the user who gave it.

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 13:39
I see your point, if someone wants to earn the right to comment publicly on their negative rep, then they should comment on all the good stuff too (God forbid:))
I think it's one of those things where you have to take the rough with the smooth. If you don't want to risk getting negative rep then you should disable reputation. You can't just have the good stuff.
If you really, truly believe that you didn't deserve the rep, then maybe you should contact admin?
I'm just not bothered, to be honest.
My rep could be all bad... so what? People are entitled to their opinions.

Anyway...
If you don't want bad rep folks... disable the feature. Otherwise, it's gonna happen sooner or later, just don't take it personally. :)

justine
17-Mar-08, 13:41

i do believe if you read through some threads that have been placed lately you will......
although the words boo hoo arent there....

angela5
17-Mar-08, 13:50
i do believe if you read through some threads that have been placed lately you will......
although the words boo hoo arent there....

I have been reading through several threads this morning, i did stumble across a post by scorrie mentioning 'bad rep' is this what this thread is all about, one poster or is there many more 'lurking'?

Ash
17-Mar-08, 13:53
yeah scorrie announced i gave he/she bad rep, like im the 1st person to ever give it

justine
17-Mar-08, 13:54
I have been reading through several threads this morning, i did stumble across a post by scorrie mentioning 'bad rep' is this what this thread is all about, one poster or is there many more 'lurking'?

you just have to keep looking...I would not have started this thread if i had not noticed a few...it madness..

angela5
17-Mar-08, 14:02
you just have to keep looking...I would not have started this thread if i had not noticed a few...it madness..

There is a 'few' pointless threads/posts on here, you've just got to bypass them and don't let things annoy you. If someone wants to thank another user for good/bad rep then so be it.

justine
17-Mar-08, 14:03
i had noticed......:(

Angela
17-Mar-08, 14:04
Well...you can't please all of the people all of the time!

I've never given bad rep to anyone. If I disagree strongly with a post, I'd rather reply with my point of view on the forum, or on the rare occasion I think a post is really offensive, report it to admin.

The bad rep option is there though, for those who choose to use it, and unfortunately bad rep doesn't really come across as "sorry I'm afraid I don't agree with your post, but please don't take it personally". :roll: Some posters are less thick-skinned than others and I do think bad rep must feel pretty personal -just as good rep feels like a nice wee pat on the back.

I can see it could be particularly upsetting to receive bad rep if you never give it yourself, but I must say I don't understand drawing attention to the fact by posting about it. :confused

crashbandicoot1979
17-Mar-08, 14:26

I've never given bad rep to anyone. If I disagree strongly with a post, I'd rather reply with my point of view on the forum, or on the rare occasion I think a post is really offensive, report it to admin.

I'm the same, I don't give bad rep either, I'd rather just post on the forum. I've never been bad-repped but if I was, I wouldn't take it personally although it would annoy me a bit if the person was rude as theres no need for rudeness. I do tend to good rep posts if I strongly agree or if they make me laugh, mainly because its a nice thing to do :)

justine
17-Mar-08, 14:37

The bad rep option is there though, for those who choose to use it, and unfortunately bad rep doesn't really come across as "sorry I'm afraid I don't agree with your post, but please don't take it personally". :roll: Some posters are less thick-skinned than others and I do think bad rep must feel pretty personal -just as good rep feels like a nice wee pat on the back.

I can see it could be particularly upsetting to receive bad rep if you never give it yourself, but I must say I don't understand drawing attention to the fact by posting about it. :confused

i have only ever recieved one bad rep, and compared to my good rep.i cant complain..but i still think there is no need to oust someone for it.....send em a pm if they feel so strongly...

cuddlepop
17-Mar-08, 19:15
Why do we need bad rep?If i feel so strongly about someone reply then I say so publically.
Bad repping someone secretly I think is childish.

Moderators can be pm,d directly if there's a real problem.

obiron
17-Mar-08, 19:36
i had a bad rep once but it was done anon but when it all changed and it couldnt be anon any more i found out who it was. being anon is a bit cowardly i thought if you dont like the opinion who cares be brave enough to leave your name.

Rheghead
17-Mar-08, 20:14
If they give bad rep then just blast 'em back with the same thing.

karia
17-Mar-08, 20:17
If they give bad rep then just blast 'em back with the same thing.

With what your Rep is worth you could kill folks with a single bad rep..Mr Rheghead ....sir!:lol:

percy toboggan
17-Mar-08, 20:17
why do people feel the need to oust someone for giving them bad rep....I dont see many saying Thanks for thegood rep publicly....so why is it i see more threads with people saysing thanks for the bad rep..We are all allowed to give rep wether it be bad or good, but what are you achieving by posting only the negative reps you recieve....:confused

The two or three occassions I have been 'bad repped' I have felt the need to publicly lambast whoever did it...on the second ocassion, it was you.

I see 'bad repping' as just that - a private assault on 'reputation'...I'd much rather be trashed , verbally in public.

The tactic is the last resort of a scoundrel, and perhaps the first resort of one who can find insufficient words to dismiss an adversary in public. I would not want to mention any 'good reputation comments' because I'm averse to blowing my own trumpet...however, when that trumpet is reversed and the awkward end thrust my way in the shape of 'bad rep' I feel obliged to share it with the world....such as it is.

I seldom think about such matters, but your dredging this topic up when only two or three posts have referred to it in the last month or so forced my hand.

Heat and kitchens spring to mind. Be prepared to share with the public what you let fly in private. I have never bad repped anybody, yet have sent many plaudits in the direction of witty, observant, worldly and agreeable posters often. I dont remember sending you any.

If I cannot summon up words with which to joust with adversaries I would not dream of stooping to the cynical, sniping laziness of 'bad rep'

Boozeburglar
17-Mar-08, 20:26
Hey there you go Mr. Tooboggin, I don't like your attitude and you have a negative rep for your trouble.

You cannot have read all of Justine's posts; they are frequently witty or interesting enough to merit some rep.

You are just too small minded to see.

Of course, your interest in being here seems to have something to do with your agenda, and that involves a lot of unsavoury things in my opinion. BNP, etc., you are always there when there is an opportunity to wave your bigot flag high.

I am surprised people don't notice that rep generally stays around the same for all, depending on the amount you post you will accumulate it eventually.

Some who use the message board as a chat room may take longer, but who cares?

It might be more relevant to have a 1-10 scale?

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 20:39
I enjoy Justine's posts too, I don't always agree with her 100%, but I am always interested to see a different view put forward. Just because someone disagrees with me, doesn't always make them wrong (I hate admitting that).
In fact I would go as far as to say that from the chats I've had with Justine so far, I like her. She seems really nice (not icky nice).
If someone was insulting Justine just for the sake of it, then I would bad rep them. However I can't see why you would do it just because someone disagrees with her?

Boozeburglar
17-Mar-08, 20:44
There was recently a thread about piercings.

I added a terribly witty post....

My lobes are now at the point I can actually step through them.

Thinking about getting my liver done.

My credibility is stretched so far I think I may need stitches.

The response to which was good rep from one poster, but bad rep and the following comment from another member who never even posted in the thread!

"Thread of body mod fans - wrong place to slag it off maybe?"

That kind of makes my point about rep really, it is so meaningless I am surprised anyone bothers giving bad rep, "if you can't say something positive...".

Of course, if it means I can look forward to a public 'lambasting' I will dish it out now and then.

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 20:51
Will everybody please keep using the word 'lambast' it conjures up all sorts of strange images and never fails to make me chuckle. Next, would everybody please attempt to use the words 'bizarre' and 'moist' as well. I don't know why I find these words so funny, I just do :lol:

It's not as though anyone else sees a bad rep, so why worry?

Boozeburglar
17-Mar-08, 20:56
If someone was insulting Justine just for the sake of it, then I would bad rep them. However I can't see why you would do it just because someone disagrees with her?

I have never bad repped anybody, yet have sent many plaudits in the direction of witty, observant, worldly and agreeable posters often. I dont remember sending you any.

Subtle as it may be, I feel that Mr. Tooboggin is indulging in the former activity you mention.

karia
17-Mar-08, 20:57
There was recently a thread about piercings.

I added a terribly witty post....

The response to which was good rep from one poster, but bad rep and the following comment from another member who never even posted in the thread!

"Thread of body mod fans - wrong place to slag it off maybe?"

That kind of makes my point about rep really, it is so meaningless I am surprised anyone bothers.

Of course, if it means I can look forward to a public 'lambasting' I will dish it out now and then.

Does that mean the good rep poster was wrong and shouldn't send you good rep again......as it's meaningless.

I'll bear that in mind!;)

Angela
17-Mar-08, 20:59
Will everybody please keep using the word 'lambast' it conjures up all sorts of strange images and never fails to make me chuckle. Next, would everybody please attempt to use the words 'bizarre' and 'moist' as well. I don't know why I find these words so funny, I just do

lol Sapphire, I can probably oblige you with an occasional 'lambast' and l say 'bizarre' all the time anyway ;) .....

......but 'moist', no, no, no....there's just something about it makes my toes curl, and not in a good way!.......ewwwwwwww! :eek:

justine
17-Mar-08, 21:09
sapphire and boozebuglar you will be recieving good rep for being so honest....I am glad we dont all agree as it would make for a boring org...:lol:

justine
17-Mar-08, 21:14
Hey there you go Mr. Tooboggin, I don't like your attitude and you have a negative rep for your trouble.

You cannot have read all of Justine's posts; they are frequently witty or interesting enough to merit some rep.

You are just too small minded to see.

Of course, your interest in being here seems to have something to do with your agenda, and that involves a lot of unsavoury things in my opinion. BNP, etc., you are always there when there is an opportunity to wave your bigot flag high.

I am surprised people don't notice that rep generally stays around the same for all, depending on the amount you post you will accumulate it eventually.

Some who use the message board as a chat room may take longer, but who cares?

It might be more relevant to have a 1-10 scale?

i find people read my threads to either enjoy or have an heated disscussion...If thats the way things are i am glad to have some adult conversation...above the iq of 20-50....which is standard for a 2 yr old...

i give rep where desrved if i agree and i have given bad rep where i dontagree with what has been said, it has nothing to do with who said what....

I have only recieved bad rep once and that was written"I am finding your posts tedious" i sent a pm saying, why read them then...but i can say only the one and alot more good, so i must be doing something right....

silverfox57
17-Mar-08, 21:17
have just noticed this thread is all ik orgers as a new member who will get ripped to bits.you must all be good friends,or at war:lol:

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 21:19
have just noticed this thread is all ik orgers as a new member who will get ripped to bits.you must all be good friends,or at war:lol:
I'm not a 1k orger and I'm not scared!!

What do you mean "come out from behind the sofa?"...

No way! I um... like it back here!

justine
17-Mar-08, 21:21

Both i would assume...but then theres always peace with war.....;)

golach
17-Mar-08, 21:21
This thread reminds me of my primary school days, get a grip folks, your not wee bairns [lol]

justine
17-Mar-08, 21:23
This thread reminds me of my primary school days, get a grip folks, your not wee bairns [lol]

Oh yes we are...........................just big ones......:eek:

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 21:24

Speak for yourself! Today I am proudly acting my shoe size and not my age! ;)

Angela
17-Mar-08, 21:26
This thread reminds me of my primary school days

My, golach, what a fine memory you must have!;)

My primary school days are but a dim and distant memory..... :eek:

karia
17-Mar-08, 21:37
I am just trying to see what *'ousting' has to do with any of it?

Do you mean 'outing' perhaps.. as in 'making public'?:confused

* ousting.. to supplant or replace.

Tristan
17-Mar-08, 21:41
I was editing a quote and made a mistake as you do. I corrected it as soon as I was made aware of the mistake. However, the person I was quoting gave me a negative rep [disgust]. PMing me about it or reporting the post I could understand but negative rep? Talk about throwing the rattle out of the pram.
Unfortunately some people are daft enough to do as they do. The best thing to do is try and ignore daft people like that.:roll:

karia
17-Mar-08, 21:43
I was editing a quote and made a mistake as you do. I corrected it as soon as I was made aware of the mistake. However, the person I was quoting gave me a negative rep [disgust]. PMing me about it or reporting the post I could understand but negative rep? Talk about throwing the rattle out of the pram.
Unfortunately some people are daft enough to do as they do. The best thing to do is try and ignore daft people like that.

Wise moose!;)

scorrie
17-Mar-08, 23:08
yeah scorrie announced i gave he/she bad rep, like im the 1st person to ever give it

That was because you didn't have the guts/wit to comment on my statement on the thread itself.

cullbucket
18-Mar-08, 03:58
I sometimes feel like getting involved in a thread, but given my workload and the fact that I am 10 hrs behind, it doesn't seen to work. I occasionally give good reps to people that have taken the time to point out things I can't be bothered typing out myself (i.e. that I agree with), but I haven't given bad reps yet (that I can remember) but I may start that too out of pure laziness / lack of interest / lack of intelligence / inability to express myself / moral turpitude / divilness / cowardice or some other glaring defect in my personality.
Better not do it to Mr Toboggan though as I will undoubtedly be ousted by his trumpet.