PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed-please.

balto
14-Mar-08, 12:46
My 2 year old son has started to have night terors, the doctor says it is normal as this is when they start to dream, but he is getting into a real state at night lashing out , crying just wondered if any other orgers have kids who have gone through the same thing and how did you deal with it.

Thumper
14-Mar-08, 12:49
Hi Balto, my son suffered really badly from them,I am afraid it is just a case of waiting for him to grow out of them tho :( but I did find that if I went up and woke him just before his usual time for having them it helped quite a bit x

balto
14-Mar-08, 12:51
kian is having then whenever he sleeps even during the day he woke himself up yesterday he had got him into such a state

Thumper
14-Mar-08, 12:58
All I can suggest is that as soon as you see or hear him getting agitated wake him up so that he does go into a deeper sleep...its tiring and time consuming but it does help x

balto
14-Mar-08, 13:00
All I can suggest is that as soon as you see or hear him getting agitated wake him up so that he does go into a deeper sleep...its tiring and time consuming but it does help x
thankyou for that i will try that when he starts to stir.

Thumper
14-Mar-08, 13:01
No probs Hun....I hope it helps x

airdlass
14-Mar-08, 13:48
My son had night terrors aswell - I used to sit on the bed and talk to him, reassuring him till he gradually woke up. He always seemed to go back to sleep ok . Afterwards he never seemed to remember what had woken him up in the first place. They seemed to be more frequent if he was overtired. He still gets them occasionally even now and he's 18.

unicorn
14-Mar-08, 13:55
I used to give my daughter invisible magic fairy dust that I blew to her every night before she slept and the fairies used to give me it so she didn't have bad dreams, she caught it and ate it and believe it or not it used to do the trick and if I forgot she would have a bad dream.

rob16d
14-Mar-08, 14:03
I don't know how this can be helped....but hope it stops.

trix
14-Mar-08, 14:14
hi balto, ye should try unicorns magic fairy dust ;)

poor bairn...:( hope he gets over it soon....

weeboyagee
14-Mar-08, 14:27
Well,... sorry to say that it still carries on even when you get older than 18 - for some of us! I'm afraid I suffer from them (and I mean suffer!). They are not nightmares - there is a total difference between nightmare and night terror.

Sharing a room with anyone when away on holiday or even in a single room but in a house with other friends can be hugely embarassing - the noise that you can create is to be quite honest "hellish" and borders on being possessed. You sometimes are more aware of it than other times - and I never feel as though I am sound asleep but perfectly aware of what is going on as if it were total reality.

No-body has ever tried to wake me - once in Skye I had to share with someone and in the morning when I woke I asked them (because you are never quite sure) if I had scared them during the night in my sleep - they only needed to look to answer. Sometimes you recall EXACTLY the visions that you're going through - sometimes less so.

When you have had to live through someone going through it - you know what it is!

I have never sought medical advice because I'm off my head and beyond the doctor's skills anyway :D

WBG :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
14-Mar-08, 14:33
I have never sought medical advice because I'm off my head and beyond the doctor's skills anyway.
WBG :cool:

mmmmm.........no comment.........for once :lol:

AIB

trix
14-Mar-08, 14:42
ats awful weeboyagee

i used til go wi a cheil (who turned oot til be a rite mental case mental case) :eek: anyway, he made some noise when he slept. really kwite disturbin lek, he sounded really stressed oot. it wis horrible lyin beside him an i often woke him til see if he wis alrite.

he could never remember what he wis dreamin but goin by 'e noise, it sounded lek he wis facin his worst fears ever.

i always wondered if he got over it - da fancy askin his now wife tho, she mite no take it so weel :lol:

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:06
I used to give my daughter invisible magic fairy dust that I blew to her every night before she slept and the fairies used to give me it so she didn't have bad dreams, she caught it and ate it and believe it or not it used to do the trick and if I forgot she would have a bad dream.
hi thankyou i think i will try that not sure he will understand about fairy dust as he is just 2 but will give it a go.

balto
14-Mar-08, 15:12
Well,... sorry to say that it still carries on even when you get older than 18 - for some of us! I'm afraid I suffer from them (and I mean suffer!). They are not nightmares - there is a total difference between nightmare and night terror.

Sharing a room with anyone when away on holiday or even in a single room but in a house with other friends can be hugely embarassing - the noise that you can create is to be quite honest "hellish" and borders on being possessed. You sometimes are more aware of it than other times - and I never feel as though I am sound asleep but perfectly aware of what is going on as if it were total reality.

No-body has ever tried to wake me - once in Skye I had to share with someone and in the morning when I woke I asked them (because you are never quite sure) if I had scared them during the night in my sleep - they only needed to look to answer. Sometimes you recall EXACTLY the visions that you're going through - sometimes less so.

When you have had to live through someone going through it - you know what it is!

I have never sought medical advice because I'm off my head and beyond the doctor's skills anyway :D

WBG :cool:the only reson we asked the doctor was because he was seeing the doctor from raigmore about something else. now the little monster after having me and my partner up most of last night because of this is now entering his 3rd hour of sleep.

Valerie Campbell
14-Mar-08, 15:48
Balto, the night terrors happen when a child is in the first, very deep phase of sleep. If you can, waken the wee one up not long after he goes to sleep. This seems to break the pattern, but will take a wee while. My youngest suffered from these for a while and this is what finally worked. I know how horrrible it is for you, and the wee ones don't tend to remember anything about it. Hope it gets sorted out soon for you.

Julia
14-Mar-08, 16:00
My eldest started night terrors around the age of 2, it always happened about 45 minutes after she fell asleep, being aware and in the room with her helped a wee bit. It can be quite frightening for both children and parents.

ExoticQueen
14-Mar-08, 17:26
my wee one used to have them she doesnt have them anymore its just a case off waiting to they grow out off it had many a sleepless nite used to leave the wee light on and the dog used to sleep in her room actually thats when the terrors actually started to lessen sorry i havent got anymore advice,hope something works,try telling him a nice story before bedtime.:(

balto
16-Mar-08, 11:05
hi thanks for all of the advice, i have tried it over the past 2 nights and so far no joy but hey i will keep going with it, thanks to you all.