PDA

View Full Version : William Fraser, Olrig

marionq
14-Mar-08, 12:37
In the 1871 census for Olrig there is a list of people at the Baillie's Houses. Amongst them is one William Fraser aged 28 from Eddrachilles. There were very few Frasers in Edddrachilles and those of us who are trying to track William down think that this is one we are looking for although he should be nearer 31/32 by his birth date. After this census though we lose sight of him. Can anyone shed any light on any of the people on this list in case there is a connection other than just a collection of lodgers.

Donald Campbell 54
Margaret Campbell 19
Alexander Cormack 20
Ellen Doull 35
Mary D Ross Doull 1
William Doull 29
William Doull 2
William Fraser 28 (Labourer at Flag Works)
Mary Ross 72

marionq
08-May-08, 16:35
I posted this message about William Fraser without success. Since then I have found him on every census up to 1901 still at Olrig although now declaring himself to be from Halkirk for some reason. He is said to be a Gaelic and English speaker which suggests my Highland relative from Eddrachillis over on the west coast and is living with a woman called Kate or Catherine Andrew (either his "bidie in" or his landlady). By 1901 she is gone and he is now said to be 68 but probably a few years younger.

He is deaf on the census so that could explain the lack of clarity. The next mystery is that I cannot find his death certificate on scotlandspeople. I have a list from them of every Fraser who died in Caithness up to 1940 within a broad age band. He also did not go back to Sutherland as I have trawled there too.

As a single, deaf man is it possible he died without being identified properly and if so how do you go about finding his death certificate? His address was Gothergill, Olrig.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Marion