PDA

View Full Version : BT Up and running

Kevin Milkins
13-Mar-08, 22:57
As some may be aware last week I was having slow speeds on my lap top and it boiled down to an AOL server problem.I found out also I was paying well over the odds for there service so decided to bin them and go to BT as it seemed to best fit my requirments ,IE BT Vision and so on.
Today was the change over day and could not get on line with AOL. I set up my new BT router and got the green light and put the set up disc in to folllow there set up. The set up screen came up and stayed blank so I rebooted and same thing again.I then put the ethernet cable in and I can get on line useing my AOL software and I can still receive email on my old AOL address.
I am working on a wireless conection and all seems to be working fine.
So can I carry on useing my AOL software and address as this suits me?

blueivy
13-Mar-08, 23:14
As some may be aware last week I was having slow speeds on my lap top and it boiled down to an AOL server problem.I found out also I was paying well over the odds for there service so decided to bin them and go to BT as it seemed to best fit my requirments ,IE BT Vision and so on.
Today was the change over day and could not get on line with AOL. I set up my new BT router and got the green light and put the set up disc in to folllow there set up. The set up screen came up and stayed blank so I rebooted and same thing again.I then put the ethernet cable in and I can get on line useing my AOL software and I can still receive email on my old AOL address.

What username and password did you put into the router - the AOL open or the BT one?

Kevin Milkins
13-Mar-08, 23:17
What username and password did you put into the router - the AOL open or the BT one?

I put the BT one in

blueivy
13-Mar-08, 23:30
I put the BT one in

I thought so but you never know! Just because you've been given a changeover date doesn't mean they actually do it on that date!

Your AOL software isn't tied to AOL as far as I know. It's pretty much a rebranded browser and messenger and a few other bits and pieces. You should be able to continue to use it without any problem.

Your email address is another matter. You may need to change your outgoing SMTP server to the BT one (depending on how AOL now sets up their SMTP server authentication). When you do this you may also find that BT stop you sending out with any address other than theirs.

Incoming should be fine while AOL keep your address alive.

And that's the crux - how long they keep it alive. You're no longer one of their customers so they can kill your address off at any time. You may find that this is a few days, weeks or even months but one day they will kill it.

My advice is to get yourself another address that is not tied to any broadband supplier (either buy your own domain name and host it somewhere or get an online account such as Yahoo / Hotmail / Gmail etc.) and that way if you switch in the future, you can keep your email address. I'd start using that as soon as possible so that you can tell everybody in your address book of your new address and keep dealing with mail on the AOL address until they kill it.

Kevin Milkins
13-Mar-08, 23:35
I thought so but you never know! Just because you've been given a changeover date doesn't mean they actually do it on that date!

Your AOL software isn't tied to AOL as far as I know. It's pretty much a rebranded browser and messenger and a few other bits and pieces. You should be able to continue to use it without any problem.

Your email address is another matter. You may need to change your outgoing SMTP server to the BT one (depending on how AOL now sets up their SMTP server authentication). When you do this you may also find that BT stop you sending out with any address other than theirs.

Incoming should be fine while AOL keep your address alive.

And that's the crux - how long they keep it alive. You're no longer one of their customers so they can kill your address off at any time. You may find that this is a few days, weeks or even months but one day they will kill it.

My advice is to get yourself another address that is not tied to any broadband supplier (either buy your own domain name and host it somewhere or get an online account such as Yahoo / Hotmail / Gmail etc.) and that way if you switch in the future, you can keep your email address. I'd start using that as soon as possible so that you can tell everybody in your address book of your new address and keep dealing with mail on the AOL address until they kill it.
Thanks for that blueivy. will do

Mizpah
15-Mar-08, 23:18

Hi there, I got mine yesterday and it is going great with good speed I am sorry you have seem to have had some problems,

I have only got one problem and it is that I cant get my e-mails printed all I get is a line at the top of page with page number and at the bottom a line with xp user document etc. It is only the e-mails that wont print as if I open other programmes and print it works ok so I am sure it is not the printer by the way I am using a Epson CX6400. Just to complicate things on my other computer the e-mails print no bother and it is a Epson printer too a 640.

anyone got any ideas what may be wrong I would be delighted to hear, thanks in anticipation.:roll:

blueivy
16-Mar-08, 16:19
Hi there, I got mine yesterday and it is going great with good speed I am sorry you have seem to have had some problems,

I have only got one problem and it is that I cant get my e-mails printed all I get is a line at the top of page with page number and at the bottom a line with xp user document etc. It is only the e-mails that wont print as if I open other programmes and print it works ok so I am sure it is not the printer by the way I am using a Epson CX6400. Just to complicate things on my other computer the e-mails print no bother and it is a Epson printer too a 640.

anyone got any ideas what may be wrong I would be delighted to hear, thanks in anticipation.:roll:

This could be a LOT of different things and it really isn't normal.

First of all, can you print a webpage (sounds a little off the track but bear with me)?

Have you tried the 'working' printer on your machine?

What email client are you using?

Mizpah
16-Mar-08, 17:14
This could be a LOT of different things and it really isn't normal.

First of all, can you print a webpage (sounds a little off the track but bear with me)?

Have you tried the 'working' printer on your machine?

What email client are you using?

Hi there thanks for your reply and firstly I have just tried and it wont print "web pages" It will print any thing from non web pages all I get is a page 1-at top of page and aline at the bottom which says file://C:\DOUCUME-1\XPUSER-1\LOCALS-1\temp\KI2NM37M.htm

I am not sure what you mean by working printer as I have only one printer connected to computer.

I am using BT Yahoo for my e-mails.

As I said in previous post my other computer will print the e-mails with no trouble and it uses the BT Yahoo too.

I am using a BT broadband wireless system for connecting computers but not the printers although the one that prints the e-mails is connected by ethernet cable.

I look forward to hearing from you to see if you can sort out my problem.

Thanks a lot Mizpah

blueivy
16-Mar-08, 17:28
Hi there thanks for your reply and firstly I have just tried and it wont print "web pages" It will print any thing from non web pages all I get is a page 1-at top of page and aline at the bottom which says file://C:\DOUCUME-1\XPUSER-1\LOCALS-1\temp\KI2NM37M.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=file://C:%5CDOUCUME-1%5CXPUSER-1%5CLOCALS-1%5Ctemp%5CKI2NM37M.htm)

When you next try and print an email, can you go to the file 9liek it is above) and try and view it? Does it look okay?

I am not sure what you mean by working printer as I have only one printer connected to computer.

What I meant was can you attach the working printer (from the other machine) to yours and try that?

I am using BT Yahoo for my e-mails.

Is that through the browser?

Mizpah
16-Mar-08, 17:47
Thanks again,
if i open file as you suggest what I get is about 30 pages ot technical information which prints out.

I cannot connect other printer as it is serial port and the one with the problem does not have it.

What I cannot understand is that it wa sno trouble when I was with AOL as everything printed fine it is only since I have moved to BT Broadband.

It is a real mystery and I just cant work it out as the printer works fine except for the e-mails and web pages so I do not think it is the printer but some setting in the web browser.

blueivy
16-Mar-08, 18:01
Thanks again,
if i open file as you suggest what I get is about 30 pages ot technical information which prints out.[/quote

What do you mean by technical information? When you double-click on the file, is it opened by the browser and displayed properly?

[quote]
I cannot connect other printer as it is serial port and the one with the problem does not have it.

You probably mean parallel, however I thought you said the working preintr was connected by an ethernet cable.

What I cannot understand is that it wa sno trouble when I was with AOL as everything printed fine it is only since I have moved to BT Broadband.

It is a real mystery and I just cant work it out as the printer works fine except for the e-mails and web pages so I do not think it is the printer but some setting in the web browser.

It may not be the printer, but we simply don't know. If you can connect the working printer and it prints out fine then we know it is the printer. If you connect it and it doesn't then you can move on to eliminating something else. The key to troubleshooting any problem is get rid of the obvious (no matter how unlikely it appears) and easy ones first. You could go ahead and reinstall the browser. Reinstalling your operating system will be almost guaranteed to fix it but it's a huge job and there are easier things to look at first.

Did you uninstall the AOL software?

Kevin Milkins
17-Mar-08, 01:07
I am slowly but surely getting used to my new server and I dont know if it was by luck but I phoned up BT and got hold of a young and very helpfull man in Newcastle and he took control of my computer from his side and was up and running in no time and he registerd the phone. I have to say he could not have been more pleasant or helpfull.After 4 years with AOL its hard to look at somthing new .My bigest problem just now is with AOL if I wanted to send a file of photos I would click on that file and choose email this file and it would ask if I would like to shrink this file and I did ,then it would go to my AOL email pane and would choose from my address book and away it went. As yet I have not worked out how to make BT yahoo do that yet.

blueivy
17-Mar-08, 17:57
I am slowly but surely getting used to my new server and I dont know if it was by luck but I phoned up BT and got hold of a young and very helpfull man in Newcastle and he took control of my computer from his side and was up and running in no time and he registerd the phone. I have to say he could not have been more pleasant or helpfull.After 4 years with AOL its hard to look at somthing new .My bigest problem just now is with AOL if I wanted to send a file of photos I would click on that file and choose email this file and it would ask if I would like to shrink this file and I did ,then it would go to my AOL email pane and would choose from my address book and away it went. As yet I have not worked out how to make BT yahoo do that yet.

If you are using Outlook / Outlook Express, right click on the photos. choose Send To->Mail Recipient and the rest is as you did it before.

If you are using BT Yahoo mail through the browser then I believe you will need to upload the files normally.

Kevin Milkins
17-Mar-08, 19:55
If you are using Outlook / Outlook Express, right click on the photos. choose Send To->Mail Recipient and the rest is as you did it before.

If you are using BT Yahoo mail through the browser then I believe you will need to upload the files normally.

Thanks again blueivy I will give that a go. I think my bigest problem is that I got so used to doing everything with AOL and its hard to get out of old habits so I need to take it one step at a time.
What I will say ,is my download speeds have increased to a level that I have never experienced before.

blueivy
17-Mar-08, 20:31
Thanks again blueivy I will give that a go. I think my bigest problem is that I got so used to doing everything with AOL and its hard to get out of old habits so I need to take it one step at a time.

As with everything new ... walk before you can run!

What I will say ,is my download speeds have increased to a level that I have never experienced before.

That is weird, although it could be down to AOL using LLU as opposed to IPStream (which BT uses) for broadband.

It could also be that you are in the monitoring stage of using your broadband (generally for the first week or so your broadband is automatically monitored to ensure that the line can handle the traffic and what speeds it can handle etc. etc.). After the monitoring stage your broadband is generally fixed at a given level and generally slows down a little. It's all to do with exchange, line and circuit bandwidth, contention, other users on the exchange and many other complicated things that bore most people :-)

krispast8
17-Mar-08, 22:08

Kevin Milkins
22-Mar-08, 13:10
I got the second part of my BT deal yesterday when the V Box turned up to give the total vision. When I unpacked it and saw about 6 manuals I thought thats me done for.I sat down and had a good look at the manuals and managed to get it up and running without any trouble. My first impresion is fantastic. I dont have sky so to be able get all the free channels and record 80 hours of programes all for less than I was paying AOL for a crap service.Its just fantastic.