PDA

View Full Version : Outraged Teenagers!

nutty da drummer
08-Nov-05, 03:27
Recently,the newspaper released articles conserning teenageers. All off a sudden, all of us are labeled as gangsters. the explained how we harass old people and trash the place. I would like to point out,there are 2 groups of us "gangsters." there are the one group that smash windows and smash windows and take alchohol in Miller Academy and throw eggs at peoples houses. Well for the record, i myself had to give a statement about the other group doing what they do smashing windows. And yet im labeled as one of these people. i was started on only 3/4 weeks ago for standing up to them because of what they were doing to old people,and yet im one of these people. i would like to know where they got these accusations before they throw them around. I have never smashed window, nor has anyother person from my group. and there is never 80 of us, there is 30 at the most. and where else do we go? we get kicked off everywhere else. but everyone of us that stand up to the people that do these are outraged that we are labeled as these hoolagins!

ben1234
08-Nov-05, 03:32
I think your quite right. but they're the ones that spoil things for anyone else.
But why accuse teenageres anyway. Theres a lot of older folk out there whos just as bad!!

MJB
08-Nov-05, 03:46
In the article I saw that it mentioned that we have a perfictly good skate park.
The skate park area is not big enough to have such a group within it, also the park is designed for BMX'ers.
Also it mentioned that they are around untill 11-12pm, at around 8pm the skate parks half-pipe and fun box becomes wet which makes it unusable.
Theres also the risk of knocking over and injuring a children that run about the park area, I know this was common when I used to go, too be honest you couldn't really skate there because of it.
Also the half-pipe would have juice and food dumped on it which would make it sticky and would result in your wheels becoming sticky which is not a good thing when you have to clean them. :mad:

gleeber
08-Nov-05, 08:27
I agree Nutty. Most kids are OK and are just in the process of trying to understand a world which a few years before was inhabited by Santa Claus and Winnie the Pooh.
Organise yourselves, challenge the louts and clean up your act.
You could start with the ones who have hijacked the message boards.

sandie
08-Nov-05, 21:55
hey i am a teenager myself i am fifteen years old and i am coming sixteen in about half a years time and i have not ever in my life smashed somebodys windows or giving any old people check so you can not blame it on all off us teenagers and no affence but if you went through all the hassle and bullying that some off the people get in schools then you can complain other wise you dont really know whats happening i dont mean to sound mean or anything but most people in schools get bullyed more than older people at least you are only getting windows smashed (i know that they should'nt be doing that and should be charged)but people in school are getting a good kicking and some teachers dont even do a thing about it.

Caveat
08-Nov-05, 22:14
Sandie, we DO know what people at school go through because we've all been there!
You may feel as though younger kids get bullied more than older people but try telling that to the older people that get victimised.
Does the school not have committees in place whereby pupils can put across their concerns to heads of staff, teachers etc and suggest anti - bullying campaigns? If not, why don't a few off you try to get it started? Go to your head teachers etc with decent, calm suggestions, get permission to form some kind of anti - bullying system maybe! It doesn't have to stop there either, perhaps you could vote for pupils to stand up and speak on behalf the good majority of kids?
But heres the hard part! Those kids that are doing the bullying, are probably being exposed to an extremely hard home life. Theres a very high chance that they are metering out the same kind of abuse that they are recieving at home and while that does not ever make it right, it may be the reason.
I'm not saying 100% of bullies are being bullied but theres quite a high chance that they are! How you go about dealing with that I don't know but kicking them out of school (however right that is) will just transfer the problem from the school to the street.
Thats not your problem I know but it's something to think about.

But yes you are right, all teenagers should not be tarred with the same brush. There are many kids out there that would welcome decent safe places to just hang out. There certainly is not enough available for youngsters to do after school hours or on weekends, other than to kick around hanging about on the street.

sandie
08-Nov-05, 22:25
i aint going to say you are wrong because i cant but i just wanted to make a point that it aint all kids that is doing it and there is some adults but i hope who ever can do all the bullying to young and old people can live with thier selfs and STOP smashing the windows but in the end they will just learn the HARD way

William
14-Nov-05, 17:03
There was a descussion about this stuff on the radio last week, and they were saying that also part of the problems are that the teenagers have nothing to do at nights and to get any kind of funding for youth clubs and evening activities was very difficult thing to do.

dragonfly
14-Nov-05, 17:38
There was a descussion about this stuff on the radio last week, and they were saying that also part of the problems are that the teenagers have nothing to do at nights and to get any kind of funding for youth clubs and evening activities was very difficult thing to do.

That may be true, but there was even less for previous generations to do at night and vandalism was far less a problem then than it is now.

My opinion on it is that a higher proportion of parents have not parented as they have been too busy leading their own lives, no rules/boundries have been set/adhered to, so their kids go around showing little respect to their own or others properties thinking they can do as they like. After all what are their parents going to do about it??

Kids need parents, not friends, they have enough of these at school

PS not getting at you William, just giving my thoughts on the radio article ;-)

EDDIE
14-Nov-05, 19:39
Like most teenagers like to have a carry on and sometimes do practical pranks that sometimes are seen as hooligans but thats what teenagers do and we have all done things we shouldn't have done when we were teenagers but thats all part of growing up.
But i would like to point out when u see a large group of teenagers hanging out together it can be intimadating for older people even if you's are not doing anything wrong because an older person knows what its like to be a teenager and what some teenagers behaves like but teenagers dont relise that hanging about in large groups makes older people more intimadated when there walking past large groups.
And if there is any teenagers reading this give yourself another 10 years when your fully mature and you will be cursing teenagers that throw eggs on your house or knocks your side mirror of your car or if there hanging around your house winding u up.And when u try to talk to them u get told were to go.Wait and see

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 19:49
Like most teenagers like to have a carry on and sometimes do practical pranks that sometimes are seen as hooligans but thats what teenagers do and we have all done things we shouldn't have done when we were teenagers but thats all part of growing up.
But i would like to point out when u see a large group of teenagers hanging out together it can be intimadating for older people even if you's are not doing anything wrong because an older person knows what its like to be a teenager and what some teenagers behaves like but teenagers dont relise that hanging about in large groups makes older people more intimadated when there walking past large groups.
And if there is any teenagers reading this give yourself another 10 years when your fully mature and you will be cursing teenagers that throw eggs on your house or knocks your side mirror of your car or if there hanging around your house winding u up.And when u try to talk to them u get told were to go.Wait and see

Too true!
I was actually quite good as a kid, I had to be. I had more respect for my parents than to do half the stuff kids can get up to nowadays!
The problem with kids nowadays is that they have no imagination. When I was younger we didn't have bedrooms with t.vs, game boys, play stations etc we had to go out and find fun, and this certainly didn't involve hanging round streets irritating older people or damaging property.
If I'd lived here as a kid, we'd have had beach parties (in the summer obviously), or camped in the woods etc. Kids nowadays don't wants tents made out of plastic bags like we had, they want tree houses, constructed to specific blueprints with various rooms!
I must admit though I did have hobbies that took me away from the streets. I had a pony and that took up most of my time and I went ice skating twice a week. There just isn't enough variety for kids here to get them off the street.

Drugs are another big problem now. I'm only 33 but I can honestly say, hand on heart, that even though I lived in a big city (notts) I never even came across drugs. i was certainly never offered them. It's slightly different now isn't it, you have to even be careful who buys your drinks nowadays!

angela5
14-Nov-05, 22:43
you were very lucky to have a pony to keep you off the streets, not all children hang around the streets irritating older people or damaging propertys, there is a variety of things for children to do, they can go to badminton in the evenings, play squash, youth groups where they play pool, darts etc,
football clubs, karate, infact the list is endless. yes many children do have playstations,tv's etc in their bedrooms and a lot choose to be in their rooms not on street corner's. drugs maybe another problem but it does'nt affect all our lives, as for being carefull who buy's your drink! i think kids are excempt from this one. not all kids should be labelled in this way there is a lot who are respectable and respect other people's property.

twee dledum
14-Nov-05, 22:53
shes right about the lack of imagination though. When we were kids we would make a tent by putting a sheet over the washing line. You wouldnt see kids doing that nowadays. Or we would build karties out of fish boxes.
Now they want mini-motos

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 22:59
Theres been many a time in the summer when we've gone along the beach with the dogs and been suprised about the fact that theres no kids there. I know it's not necessarily everyones cup of tea but we really thought there'd be kids camping out etc.
Theres a great cove near us and we don't even see kids down there with dinghies or anything, and it's a pretty safe cove too.
As for plenty to do! Yeah right! Theres naff all, otherwise the kids wouldn't be hanging around like they do.
And yes, when they're in clubs (and I know of 15 / 16 year olds going to clubs) they do have to be careful who buys their drinks. Maybe not so much up here I don't know, but definately where we came from.

angela5
14-Nov-05, 22:59
thank's twee dledum! for reminding me about the fish boxes, hours of fun was had in them, yes porshipoo was right about certain things, i do admit some are fussy, very greedy, no immagination, my point is not all kid's should be labelled the same.

twee dledum
14-Nov-05, 23:02
Wasn't there something in the local paper just last week about people in Thurso having their drinks spikid with date rape drugs and I think I was kids it happened to.

angela5
14-Nov-05, 23:03
Theres been many a time in the summer when we've gone along the beach with the dogs and been suprised about the fact that theres no kids there. I know it's not necessarily everyones cup of tea but we really thought there'd be kids camping out etc.
Theres a great cove near us and we don't even see kids down there with dinghies or anything, and it's a pretty safe cove too.
As for plenty to do! Yeah right! Theres naff all, otherwise the kids wouldn't be hanging around like they do.
And yes, when they're in clubs (and I know of 15 / 16 year olds going to clubs) they do have to be careful who buys their drinks. Maybe not so much up here I don't know, but definately where we came from.

are you talking about reiss beach?. for the age group of 15/16 years old what clubs are they in drinking in? up hear the age of consumming alcohol is 18.
the clubs i was refering to was a lovely youth group in pulteny town parish church.

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 23:05
Gosh, I know that pooh pooh. There are many many great kids up here, in fact I haven't really come across many rude ones.
I'm just saying that maybe as parents we find it easier to give them material things than to teach them to use their imagination. With so many parents having to work nowadays it's not easy to then do things such as camping out.
I also don't think family life is as sacred as it used to be. When I was a kid Sundays were family day. Sunday roasts, sit in front of Thunderbirds, followed by saucy sponge for dessert.
We used to go exploring all the time. Family days out to the woods etc etc. It's not so easy nowadays, we're all so busy, even on sundays.
The thing is there is more safety up here than down south, I'm more than happy for my kids to go exploring here, wheras down south I didn't want them leaving the front yard.

twee dledum
14-Nov-05, 23:08
are you talking about reiss beach?. for the age group of 15/16 years old what clubs are they in drinking in? up hear the age of consumming alcohol is 18.
the clubs i was refering to was a lovely youth group in pulteny town parish church.
Wake up. Obviously you have no kids of your own or you are very ignorant of what a dangerous world it is for teenagers nowadays

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 23:09

Any of the beaches or coves!
So you think no 16 year old gets in a club then??? Take it you never did???
It does happen, like i say though, maybe it happens more often down south. but it is a sad fact.

Did you ever camp out on the beach or in the woods? Ever go looking for haunted houses and dare each other to sleep in them? Build tents out of plastic or your mums best sheets?
We have a lovely pond here and we put up a couple of tents for the kids and their mates in a wooded area we have. Did they use it? No way! Too wimpy and wanted a tree house. A bloomin tree house and it had to have rooms and a bloomin chemical loo. Sent em off with a sheet and nought else and said 'live and learn'.

angela5
14-Nov-05, 23:24
Any of the beaches or coves!
So you think no 16 year old gets in a club then??? Take it you never did???
It does happen, like i say though, maybe it happens more often down south. but it is a sad fact.

Did you ever camp out on the beach or in the woods? Ever go looking for haunted houses and dare each other to sleep in them? Build tents out of plastic or your mums best sheets?
We have a lovely pond here and we put up a couple of tents for the kids and their mates in a wooded area we have. Did they use it? No way! Too wimpy and wanted a tree house. A bloomin tree house and it had to have rooms and a bloomin chemical loo. Sent em off with a sheet and nought else and said 'live and learn'.
i most certainly did not go into clubs of that kind, i didnt quite like that remark either.yes i went camping etc i still do.

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 23:35
i most certainly did not go into clubs of that kind, i didnt quite like that remark either.yes i went camping etc i still do.

Good god it was an innocent question, get over yourself! :D

No, I imagine you've never done anything a little on the erm illegal side have you! And I mean when you was younger! Not that I know how old you are now, that could be why you haven't done anything yet and still go camping!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that youngsters today just don't have the imagination we used to have. Maybe they don't have the resources we had, I don't know.
The problems you have with drugs etc nowadays just were'nt as progressed when I was growing up.
Getting drunk for us was the 'biggest' drama ever. Nowadays, it sadly seems to be the norm.

angela5
14-Nov-05, 23:40
Good god it was an innocent question, get over yourself! :D

No, I imagine you've never done anything a little on the erm illegal side have you! And I mean when you was younger! Not that I know how old you are now, that could be why you haven't done anything yet and still go camping!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that youngsters today just don't have the imagination we used to have. Maybe they don't have the resources we had, I don't know.
The problems you have with drugs etc nowadays just were'nt as progressed when I was growing up.
Getting drunk for us was the 'biggest' drama ever. Nowadays, it sadly seems to be the norm.
it's disgraceful the way you talk to people, why do people have to do something on the erm illegal side,where did you grow up?

angela5
14-Nov-05, 23:48
Wake up. Obviously you have no kids of your own or you are very ignorant of what a dangerous world it is for teenagers nowadays

i don't think so twee dledum, im not ignorant. im leaving this thread maybe you can live up to twee and give us some entertainment with .......... i did not come on to be insulted by both replies,

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 23:49
I actually didn't! But I know plenty that did. It certainly doesn't make it right but it did go on. Alot!
Like i said before, I had hobbies that kept me away from that, I was fortunate enough to have the pony, so all my spare time was at horse shows, ice skating etc.
My friend and I even thought we were the coolest for hanging around inside the library of a night! How lame is that!
Although I must admit when we discovered fancy dress, we did get into a few scrapes at the miners welfare, particularly with a certain radio one DJ!
But in all, we good kids. I never bought any trouble to my parents doors, I knuckled down to hard work when I left school.

Sadly, 'erm' illegal stuff does happen. Whether it be going in pubs underage, drinking, doing drugs, pinching sweets etc

porshiepoo
14-Nov-05, 23:51
i don't think so twee dledum, im not ignorant. im leaving this thread maybe you can live up to twee and give us some entertainment with .......... i did not come on to be insulted by both replies,

You did so! ;)

twee dledum
15-Nov-05, 00:00
i don't think so twee dledum, im not ignorant. im leaving this thread maybe you can live up to twee and give us some entertainment with .......... i did not come on to be insulted by both replies,:confused: eh.
youve lost me?????????

porshiepoo
15-Nov-05, 00:04
Kinda didn't think we'd insulted anyone! :confused:

Blinkin eck I must find insulting comes more naturally than I thought. I'm doing it without even knowing now! :confused:

EDDIE
15-Nov-05, 00:29
I think most teenagers at about 16-17year old try to get into pubs and some manage to get served i know i did when i was 16.
Its a shame nowadays that you dont see kids making go carts out of fishboxs used have a lot of fun building them and playing with them.
But then on the other hand i would have loved to have a computer and the internet when i was young and all the other gadgets that are easily affordable which we didnt have.

abalone
15-Nov-05, 13:18
I think most teenagers at about 16-17year old try to get into pubs and some manage to get served i know i did when i was 16.
Its a shame nowadays that you dont see kids making go carts out of fishboxs used have a lot of fun building them and playing with them.
But then on the other hand i would have loved to have a computer and the internet when i was young and all the other gadgets that are easily affordable which we didnt have.

The nearest I got to any gadgets when I was young was taking the accumulator to the shop to be charged up.I`m making up for it now though,but on reflection,I loved dancing and you can`t do that with a computer so I`m quite happy to have my gadgets now.

Doleve
15-Nov-05, 14:44
I think, and am told that most problems in school and on the streets is caused by a few apprentice'hooligans'. I was told by one of the high school teachers i used to have most of the major trouble is caused by 2 families. The brats in this case know their rights and law(better than the police), they can assault teachers, but they are hardly allowed to defend themselves. The parents at best dont care or have the usual 'my brat wouldnt do that attitude' or even threten the teachers. The Teacher i spoke to is considering early retirment in the near future due to the way things are developing. Maybe he has already as it was in May i spoke to him.Things have changed hugely in the few years since i was there. There is more fear required

angela5
15-Nov-05, 14:53
it is an utter disgrace the way the teenagers behave in today's society, the problem is so wide spread, where do you begin, look at what is happening on the new's just now,
the bullying and attacks that is going on the school's, it is no longer the case you got into a little scuffle after school, it's knife's, scissor's, how terrifying it must be to be bullied you just don't know what some are capable of,

long gone are the day's of children playing hopscotch in the street, they are now using the stone to smash window's.

EDDIE
15-Nov-05, 18:01
As far as behavior goes in school they should have never banned the belt it never did anyone any harm.I know its old fashioned view which a lot of people are against but my opinion is the only way you can get disiplin is by fear of horribile punishment like the belt.
And if you get kids that are badly behaved its not the kids fault its the parents fault for bringing them up with no form of disiplin or respect for other people.And if you get a kid that parents dont care about anything then the kid is doomed straight away what chance has the kid.
When i was young i got the belt for fighting and my sister grassed me of to my mum and i got the belt again for getting the belt at school and i didnt do it again.

Jeid
15-Nov-05, 20:22
christ. never have banned the belt? you do sound old. next you'll be saying bring back national service. its all a load of crap.

discipline starts at home, if your parents can't/won't discipline you, then your always gonna be in trouble.

about 99% of these kids however, are nice, friendly people who don't deal drugs and don't cause trouble. i can't say all, cos i know that a few bad ones come along once in a while and mix it up for them. most of the time though, they are there just minding their own business and having fun. its a play park after all! there's no limit to how many people can go there, the park doesn't have a closing time.... so why moan about it?

its a public play area!!!

nutty.... sure you used enough exclamation marks?

parkour
16-Nov-05, 17:22
Why do people these days have to label and group everyone based on the actions of a few? One person said the way teenagers behave these days is discraceful but thats just a few, its just more noticed now due to the huge puplication of "chavs" another lovely label for teenagers. There have always bullies there has always been teenagers who are badly behaved, are you saying when you were young people in your school were not bullied and didnt not behave badly if you are they you are lying no two ways about it.

Another person said teenagers have no imagination, another said now long gone are the day's of children playing hopscotch in the street. Teenagers do have an imagination and do want to play on the street just not hopscotch (which is a good thing really, rubbish came and not very imaginative if you ask me). The activties teenagers like today such as skateboarding and other extreme sports are seen as illegal activites by many of the supposed adults of caithness, but this is just down to very little understanding of the sports and the teenagers themselves.

Next time you see a teenager skating or somthing in your area and you are not happy with why not try talkin to them rather than shouting at them, from my experence when ever someone shouted at me to move on from where I was I lost all respect for that person but if when they came over and actual talked to us about what we were doing and why they would prefer we didnt do it there then I gained respect for that person and there property.

To finish my rant heres a little quote from the film Bowling for Columbine:

When Marylin Manson asked what he would say to the kids that shot people from there school he said, "I would say nothing I would listen to what they had to say".

So next time try listing.

Cheers (please excuse any poor spelling for I am only a teenager that could not find a spell check button)

MJB
16-Nov-05, 22:53
As far as behavior goes in school they should have never banned the belt it never did anyone any harm.I know its old fashioned view which a lot of people are against but my opinion is the only way you can get disiplin is by fear of horribile punishment like the belt.

Maybe they shouldn't have banned the belt, lots of people have diffrent views.
You cant blame everything on us as it was your generation that lacked the discipline to keep us in ""order"" as you were, if anything we are a product of your generation so you must give adults some of the blame rather than blaming just the children.

Someone also mentioned about how they could create a tent out of a sheet on the washing line.
What would you think if you were walking past a garden and saw 5 teenage boys or girls under a sheet in their garden asking someone to pass them imaginary sausages?
In your days were you all perfect little angels?
Didn't anyone go around and steal a bottle of milk of anyones door step etc?
In our day(present day) not everyone are devils, sure you get the bad ones but they make up a small majority of the teenage population just as they did in your days so you cannot blame it on the times we are living in.
You can blame it on yourselves for judging Skateboarding, Blading, Biking and Parkour as Vandalism.

The fact is it is not vandilism, it is teenagers carrying out the modern equivilant to your Hopskotch.
I am not focusing this at any perticular person but at the ones who judge us wrongly.

porshiepoo
16-Nov-05, 23:14
Usually we judge you the way you choose to be judged!
If teenagers decide to get irate and abusive everytime anyone asks them to stop ruining property, then thats how they will be judged.
If, on the other hand, they were pleasant and kept their abusive remarks to themselves, then thats how we would choose to judge them.

You know teenagers today complain through their back teeth about being treated like adults and with 'respect', but they have no idea that the respect has to be earned and returned.

Putting a sheet over a washing line to make a tent was an example. When we were growing up -not that long ago either - we knew how to have fun that didn't involve running people down on skateboards or push bikes, being verbally abusive or causing damage to property.

I completely understand that not all kids are the same, there are many polite ones out there, but unfortunately they are in the minority now.
The activities teenagers undertake nowadays is not so much the problem as the manner in which they choose to undertake them.
For some reason they believe that we should all understand that they just want fun, and get over it. How many times have we heard kids claim that line of defence when all it actually boils down to is that they don't want to take responsibility for their actions cos that part of being adults isn't fun.

By all means have your fun on skateboards, bikes, whatever, but have the respect to leave other peoples property alone and get of those wheels when in areas used by pedestrians. If teenagers started to show just that tiny bit of common courtesy then maybe people like me would have alot more good things to say about teenagers today.

MJB
17-Nov-05, 20:33
get of those wheels when in areas used by pedestrians.
There was a point made about this, we have to skate in areas used by pedestrians because we have no skatepark that is usable.
If you would be kind enough to point out an area that we can use that does not contain pedestrians in Thurso then I would be glad to give my views on it.
If it's a place that has good facilities and we have over looked then we would thank you for pointing this area out to us as we will use it rather than the precinct due to being labelled vandals for skating there.

If teenagers started to show just that tiny bit of common courtesy then maybe people like me would have alot more good things to say about teenagers today.
I have to say that if any of the skaters that skate on the precinct within the ""big group"" bumped into someone or knocked them over I am sure they would apologise but do you expect them to stay courtious if the person does not accept the apology and starts shouting and swearing at them?
I have not heard of a case of this happening as I have not heard of a case any skater bumping into anyone although I could be wrong.

You say that the majority of teenagers act in a way that you have described but I would say that it is more around 30% of teenagers that act in that way.

Naefearjustbeer
17-Nov-05, 21:15
As someone too old to be a teenager and hopefully not old enough to be classed as one of these grumpy old gits. I have too say most times I have seen skateboarders etc on the precinct they have been very careful to avoid skating into me or any other people that have been in the area, I have almost been run down by some one pulling a wheelie on a mountain bike and they just sped off laughing, but that was a one off.
However on the other hand I have lost count of the number of times that an older person has let doors shut in my face, blanked me when I have waited and held a door for them etc. In my experience a lot of the kids are more friendly and courteous than some of these people that are probably complaining about the kids, Just because the kids are on skateboards does this make them delinquents? I think not they are doing what kids do, having fun hanging out with their mates. What the excuse of the older generation.

porshiepoo
17-Nov-05, 22:59
MJB regardless of whether teenagers on skateboards are polite or not in the precinct, they shouldn't be skating there.
How would you feel if your mum or grandnan came home one day and had said they'd been knocked down by a skateboarder or a push bike? It's no wonder people don't accept apologies when you shouldn't be doing it there in the first place.
Perhaps there isn't anywhere else for you to take it but that still doesn't make it ok.
In the interest of your own safety you don't skateboard up the main roads do you? So show the rest of us the same respect towrds our safety.

I'm not suggesting all teenagers are the same, there isn't enough places for kids that enable them to do things like skateboarding, skating or bikes etc but we still expect to be safe in areas that are designed for pedestrians.
Take the matter up with the council through your school, or get a group of you together and come up with something to lobby to the councils. Do something constructive instead of moaning about how hard done by you are with nowhere to go. Maybe if you put effort in the councils etc would take a bit more notice and, you'd be more likely to appreciate and look after what you do get.

Naefearjustbeer
17-Nov-05, 23:41
regardless of whether teenagers on skateboards are polite or not in the precinct, they shouldn't be skating there.

Why? I didn't know it was illegal or even wrong to be on a skateboard in the precinct, Is this a rule or just your opinion. I can understand if they are whizzing down the road on it, but I dont know if it is illegal can some one enlighten us to the legalities of skateboarding in public places.

porshiepoo
18-Nov-05, 10:46
So wheres the difference between running down the road on them and in the precinct?
Oh yes, the skateboarders would risk their necks on the road, can't have that eh. But risking people being knocked over on the footpaths etc, thats acceptable.
I wouldn't ride throught there on a horse, theres a place for these things! It's not pedestrians fault that theres nowhere else to go. The skaters should do something about it and stop moaning all the time.

In answer to your question. Yes, it is merely my opinion that they shouldn't be in the precinct or on footpaths, however common courtesy should suggest - even to teenagers - to stay away from pedestrianised areas.

My opinion!!!

Karaoke Queen
18-Nov-05, 11:25
I think you should give them a break :rolleyes:

These kids could be doing a hell of a lot worse!

phoenix
18-Nov-05, 11:51
Ive always found if your courteous to them and listen to them {these teenagers as theyre called as if theyre some sort of monsters} they will respond to that. Many people have said to me about so and so {a teenager usually} being abusive and impudent.........I have not found that to be the case when I have met or spoken to that same teenager.........what I have found is that its usually the adult that is doing the critiscing that is abusive and impudent! See them as equals and as an important part in this crazy world we live! Its November 2005! Live and Let Live!

Rheghead
18-Nov-05, 12:07
A teenager's life is such a hard one. No one listens, their opinion isn't worth a penny, they have all this energy but is not used. They are usually not trusted with money, they would blow it all on going out anyway. They have a deserved lack of self esteem with all the angst of being caught between childhood and adulthood. They think there is nothing to do. They think they are immortal but time will catch up on them...eventually.

The secret to a happy teenagedom is just to accept your place in society as being in biological limbo until your frontal lobes have fully developed.

Sorry girls and boys but there is no words of comfort from me. Nature didn't provide an instant metamorphosis to adulthood, so take and savour your right of passage, stop moaning, get on with your lives, chin up and you will eventually have your opportunity on the rant box in good time! LOL

porshiepoo
18-Nov-05, 12:45
Rheghead you put it so much more eloquently than me, but that's basically what I'm wanting to say.

I know there a vast majority of kids out there that are polite to most people and I respect that.
I don't, however, agree with taking their forms of entertainment nowadays and carrying it out in places where they risk injury to others.

So to all you polite and respectable kids, I apologise if you felt my comments included yourselves.

parkour
18-Nov-05, 16:12
porshiepoo you said the teenagers should do somthing about not having an area to skate, is it not a bit obvious they did that since a skate park was built, only problem being the people building the skate park didnt listen to those who wanted it built in the first place and made it for BMX use, am sure this was mentioned earlier but you seemed to have missed this.

porshiepoo
18-Nov-05, 16:30
So do bikes prevent you from using it? Serious question!

nutty da drummer
18-Nov-05, 19:47
yeah,but we build go carts,weve no were to use them. were not alowed, the police say they are to dangerous. and when we go to the river to build "Huts" we get in trouble and get searched for drugs. and there have never ever been drugs used by us. today we had a meeting with John Thurso and he is trying to something,and hes helping us get something done. he thinks its brilliant that we are taking a stand and doing something ourselves. and there are no bikers, just bladers and boarders and free runners, useless skate park for us

lab
18-Nov-05, 20:58
I think somewhere along this thread nuttys original point seems to of been lost. He tried to point out that his group of friends (my child is one ) have been tagged in the local press as vandalising drug taking underage drinkers. Why because they hang out in a play park. There are two distinctive groups of teenagers who hang about in thurso to give the names my child uses the Neds and the moshers, neds have there lables whipits and caps moshers there skateboards and very expensive shoes (sorry private rant their just dont understand why a teen who prides themselves in lack of style has to have such dear shoes) the moshers as a rule do not drink, drinking doesint mix with their love of extreem sports, twice a window has been broken by these teens and both times they called the police and reported what they had done. I agree that to walk past a large group of teens is intimidating no matter what age you are and ive often mentioned this to my child and freinds so they understand why they get moved on.
Yes a skate park was built in ormlie but this was done without any input from children who take skating seriously and therefor the wrong equipment was put in and is very dangerous. Since the day it opened there has been accidents ranging from broken legs to split heads. This is why it it always empty bar weekends when the neds gather in the shelter if you want to see badly behaved teens thats the place to go.

beckie
18-Nov-05, 23:15
there is just nothing to do in thurso

abalone
19-Nov-05, 00:27
As someone who has gone through teenage angst with my children and now see them going through it with theirs all I can say is nothing changes.

Jeid
19-Nov-05, 01:10
ever since i was a teenager, i always thought Thurso lacked something to do. anything in fact. its true to this very day that nobody listens to those who know best. the teenagers of today know what they want and what the next generation of teenagers want, but do the powers that be ever listen? hell no.... too much like sense!

i was brought up in ormlie, and where that skate park stands now, used to be a great open field. high fences etc. great for football. oh no... not if you lived there it wasn't. on a regular basis the police would ask us to move on from a playing field.... A PLAYING FIELD! a field for PLAYING! some of the people in this town need to screw their heads on. the police need to tell these people that the kids are doing no wrong!

what Parkour said is right. the teenagers react to how they are treated. if people go and speak to them, then they are more likely to be friendly and react pleasantly. the police speak to them and listen to what the teenagers have to say. if people had the decency to get out of their house and speak to this group of youths instead of calling the police in for nothing. its no wonder people in this town think the police have nothing better to do with their time.

the people who complain about these youths are hypocrites who need to wake up and smell the coffee. you were young once.... and although times have changed, you know exactly what its like to be a teenager. its an awkward age, too young to be in the pub on a social environment.... too old to be at home playing with toys. gotta get out of the house away from the parents and mix with your friends. where else in thurso can they do it but on the street?

someone was right in saying that these youths could be doing far worse. they could be taking drugs... they could be mugging your granny in the street.... they could be fighting and being anti-social.... they could be vandalising public property(and some of you people will argue they are... but they really ain't).... these guys and girls are really nice people and as soon as some of you older lot drop the "we know best" attitude, you'll see that.

Respect your elders is such an old fashioned saying.... respect everyone should replace it. all of you should know, teenagers like to rebel, if you shout at them... they'll ignore whatever you said.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Nov-05, 01:28
Reading the posts in this thread I have come to the conclusion that the posters that I think are the younger or teenage ones have more sensible things to say. They have put across good points with reasoned arguments. The ones that I think are of the older age group are not doing so well, I think the kids are winning on this topic. Good on you I say there are far to many who are quick to complain and try and stop kids from having fun.

Jeid
19-Nov-05, 01:37
hahaha.... Youths 1-0 Moaners!! :D

crayola
19-Nov-05, 02:11
Yay Jeid, I gotta agree with you. You're more eloquent and you speak more sense than any of my peers at that age. It's a pity the youth of today still think skateboards signify rebellion. It's hard to believe, but nothing has changed in Thurso in the last 30 years. You don't realise it but you are saying exactly the same thing as Thurso teenagers in 1975. This is priceless.

That old abalonian mollusc is right for once. That's even harder to believe.

porshiepoo
19-Nov-05, 07:04
Crayola it's not the skateboards that signify rebellion, it's the kids and the attitudes on the skateboards that signify rebellion.

Jeid, yes we do know what it's like to be teenagers, and I for one wouldn't want to go back to that age for all the tea in china, but that doesn't excuse the attitudes of alot of kids today.
Yes, you have it hard, we all do at some point, but instead of moaning about how hard done by you are, do something about it.
When I was growing up there is no way we would have spoken to adults the way some kids do today, and we didn't have skate parks laid on for us or BMX tracks etc. We had to go out and find fun using our imagination. Why kids want to hang around on streets is beyond me anyway, caithness has beautiful open country accesible from just about everywhere. use it!
Having fun doesn't have to involve risking your own lives or the safety of others around you.
So stop blaming the world for the ills of teenagers today, stand up, act like the adults you all claim to be and do something constructive instead of just moaning about what you don't have!!!

Jeid
19-Nov-05, 11:36
for the record, i ain't a teenager. but i see what your saying, once i have more time, i'll reply properly

nutty da drummer
19-Nov-05, 13:33
porshiepoo, we are doing something about it.were meeting members of the council,weve set up a comittee and done meetings with John Thurso. so no body can say were doing nothing!

porshiepoo
19-Nov-05, 13:37
Well, good for you then!

Let us all know how it goes!

angela5
20-Nov-05, 01:23
more arguing.