PDA

View Full Version : What's The Budget Going To Bring?

Poultney lad
12-Mar-08, 00:11
fags up ,petrol up, drink up, the only thing thats coming down is rain

karia
12-Mar-08, 01:32
fags up ,petrol up, drink up, the only thing thats coming down is rain

They'll find a way to tax that!;)

Alice in Blunderland
12-Mar-08, 07:57
They'll find a way to tax that!;)

Oh Im sure they will have that one covered in your water rates hidden somewhere in the small print :lol:

Sapphire2803
12-Mar-08, 10:09
Well... There'll be a 2p rise in fuel duty unless we all jump up and down enough to make the beaches slosh! And Quick!! [disgust]

bekisman
12-Mar-08, 10:59
Nope, there will not be a 2p rise in fuel duty (well so says the BBC political correspondent outside No 11) Notice that Thuso is £1.10.9 for unleaded..

Sapphire2803
12-Mar-08, 11:37
Did they? Oh good :) Last I heard, he was undecided and that usually means we'll get shafted at the last minute...

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 13:53
Nope, there will not be a 2p rise in fuel duty (well so says the BBC political correspondent outside No 11) Notice that Thuso is £1.10.9 for unleaded..

Thought I heard on breakfast telly that they thought there would be a 2p rise in fuel duty - but it wouldn't come into affect till later ...big whoop :confused

bekisman
12-Mar-08, 14:22
Cigarettes up 11p a packet.
Beer up by 4p a pint, wine 14p a bottle, spirits 55p a bottle and cider 3p a litre by Sunday.

karia
12-Mar-08, 14:31
Best grab my coat and sprint to the Off-Licence then!;)

They haven't made an exemption for Champagne have they?:D

trix
12-Mar-08, 14:50
Cigarettes up 11p a packet.
Beer up by 4p a pint, wine 14p a bottle, spirits 55p a bottle and cider 3p a litre by Sunday.

tears in ma eyes ifanow.....

dessie
12-Mar-08, 15:09
what about the budget, as usual its crap.the poor stay poor and the rich get richer....

Cattach
12-Mar-08, 15:14
It is a bad budget for Scotland. Why? Because the Westminster government and indeed Westminster members of Parliament in other parties have been trying their hardest to make like difficult for the democratically elected devolved parliament in Edinburgh. All sorts of recent settlement by Westminster have aimed to show Scotland cannot go it alone. Now as a wavering Scottish Nationalist I am not sure but I do know that the central government tactics are driving me to a more nationalist position. Unless the whole taxation system is overhauled with taxes raised in Scotland spent in Scotland then we will not have a clear picture of the Scottish economic situation - and that includes oil revenue taxes which are generally ignored by Westminster when they say Scotland spends more than it raises in taxes.
A budget designed in at least certain areas to trim the sails of the Scottish parliament with policies that force the Scottish government to make cuts which further makes them look bad in the eyes of Scots. Underhand tactics.

dessie
12-Mar-08, 15:16
when are they going to ban the council tax. and bring back the rates...[lol]

Big hughie
12-Mar-08, 15:28
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/03/12/bcnbudget412.xml
As the poster above says
Beeeg Hugheeeee

JAWS
12-Mar-08, 16:16
I arrived at the conclusion a long time ago that when a Chancellor makes great noises about raisin taxes on Cigs, booze and fuel it's because he has completely lost the plot and is terrified of doing much else in case it all collapses or, more accurately, collapses even faster around his ears.
The basic attitude when Chancellors do this is, "I haven't got a clue what to do so I'll feed the majority a lot of minor irritations to distract them from my lack of competence!"

I notice he has done the usual trick and moved the already announced 2p additional tax on fuel to October so people might forget he has anything to do with it and will put the blame elsewhere.
He has not actually given anything away by doing that as the revenue the Treasury is already getting due to the current cost increases on fuel already more than covers the 2p rise.

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 17:19
when are they going to ban the council tax. and bring back the rates...[lol]
My rates bill (new name council tax!!!) came in today!!

Was pleasantly surprised it hadn't gone up too much.

concerned resident
12-Mar-08, 19:08
An increase on every thing they can think off, to help pay for all there muck ups (being polite) Labours War, increase in MP's wages, if they were to do this abroad, they would be rioting, its just as well the british public are so thick.

Stargazer
12-Mar-08, 19:13
Booze tax must be working. Not one binge drinker on the way home.

NickInTheNorth
12-Mar-08, 19:26
Well I'm afraid that I'm pretty pleased with the budget.

Just ran my details through the BBC Budget Calculator (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7290230.stm) and it tells me that I should be about £1500 per year better off!

What a Darling :D

Stargazer
12-Mar-08, 19:44
Good grief, The Beeb website says I'll be £525 better off.

NickInTheNorth
12-Mar-08, 19:46
anyone with children under 16 looks like a winner!

mums angels
12-Mar-08, 20:12

well according to your link i would be £389 better off ..which isn't fantastic especially to your £1500 but at least its not a loss for us .

I have/will have 4 kids under 16

NickInTheNorth
12-Mar-08, 20:15
I've got 4 kids too, and a very low income :)

Julia
12-Mar-08, 21:20
Well I'm afraid that I'm pretty pleased with the budget.

Just ran my details through the BBC Budget Calculator (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7290230.stm) and it tells me that I should be about £1500 per year better off!

What a Darling :D

Thanks for the link NITN, we are going to be £539 better off!

karia
12-Mar-08, 22:11

Well I know what I'm doing tonight then!:roll:

Thank god the new bed arrived today.;)

Snarfer
12-Mar-08, 23:08
I thought I was dioing well being £250 better off

trix
12-Mar-08, 23:31

iv no bairns an it says il be 15p better off....:lol:

karia
12-Mar-08, 23:38
iv no bairns an it says il be 15p better off....:lol:

Better start an ISA wi' that trix..you don't want to fritter it away!;)

quiteone
12-Mar-08, 23:47
brill it says im gona be £776.60p better off. but i wont be because the cost of livinf goes up so quickly!! but in for a penny in for a pound :lol:

DeHaviLand
13-Mar-08, 00:14
£193 a year better off, all of it coming from tax and NI

hell raizer
13-Mar-08, 00:38
£159 better of a year

Sapphire2803
13-Mar-08, 00:39
Allegedly we'll be £927.33 better off, Sounds like a lot but I know from experience we won't notice the difference :(