PDA

View Full Version : Police chief found dead

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-08, 22:04
It is sad to hear that Michael Todd the police chief for Manchester has been found dead in Snowdonia aged 50.
I listened to this guy some time ago give a no nonsence speach about how he intended to sought out the crime situation on his patch and it was refreshing to see that he meant business in a language that left nothing to the imagination. early indication is it could be suicide,IE notes have been left to the family. How sad.

karia
11-Mar-08, 22:26
It is sad to hear that Michael Todd the police chief for Manchester has been found dead in Snowdonia aged 50.
I listened to this guy some time ago give a no nonsence speach about how he intended to sought out the crime situation on his patch and it was refreshing to see that he meant business in a language that left nothing to the imagination. early indication is it could be suicide,IE notes have been left to the family. How sad.

He was tipped to be the next 'Police Commissioner'...glittering future!

Makes you wonder about a lot of things...does it not?:confused

Commiserations to his family.

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-08, 22:41
He was tipped to be the next 'Police Commissioner'...glittering future!

Makes you wonder about a lot of things...does it not?:confused

Commiserations to his family.

It certainly does Karia.
This guy realy thought he could make a difference and I for one believed him .
And of course our feelings for his family go without saying.

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 23:01
As a (outer) Mancunian I noticed no visible difference, nor improvement in Policing during Todd's time here.

He came across as a pleasant fellow & I'm very sorry for his family. The news was a shock for the region....unlike some CC's he would go out on the beat from time to time and arrest people.

Kevin Milkins
11-Mar-08, 23:14
As a (outer) Mancunian I noticed no visible difference, nor improvement in Policing during Todd's time here.

He came across as a pleasant fellow & I'm very sorry for his family. The news was a shock for the region....unlike some CC's he would go out on the beat from time to time and arrest people.

You would be in a better position to coment than most percy.

My first impretions were this guy had the X factor. Was he just another talker?

percy toboggan
11-Mar-08, 23:20
You would be in a better position to coment than most percy.

My first impretions were this guy had the X factor. Was he just another talker?
No, he had the courage to take a Tazer bolt in the back.
He could talk allright, no doubt however he has introduced 'local policing' here but it's brought nothing new. I'm lucky here though (groping for a piece of wood) and it's so quiet around here I could be living in a field in Caithness mos tof the time - especially in winter.

karia
12-Mar-08, 01:48
Forgive me..but why did he take his own life then?:confused

I am guessing you will have ideas on that.

dirdyweeker
12-Mar-08, 09:40
Forgive me..but why did he take his own life then?:confused

I am guessing you will have ideas on that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/11/ntodd611.xml (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/11/ntodd611.xml)

found this link. An answer to your question.

RIR
12-Mar-08, 17:17
Whatever the reason, he was one of the (very) few Chief Constables in the UK to have the respect of his rank and file staff.

Ian.

Sporran
12-Mar-08, 19:40
I think it's all very sad, especially if he did take his own life. Definitely a great loss to the Police Force, and to all who loved and admired him. He was in his prime, and still had so much to offer!

percy toboggan
12-Mar-08, 19:58
Warm tributes on local news tonight from his colleagues..obviously highly thought of.

He was in his prime (for a chief of Police) - you're right Sporran.....he was photographed laughing and smiling only last week.

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-08, 19:58
Thought it was quite disgusting of the media last night reporting his death, suspected suicide, suicide notes, etc when his body had'nt even been formally identified or even retrieved from the foot of the cliff/hill where he fell.....really bad taste.Just felt so sorry for his family.

karia
12-Mar-08, 20:35
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/11/ntodd611.xml (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/11/ntodd611.xml)

found this link. An answer to your question.

Sorry I have read that article 3 times and still don't see where it answers my question.:confused

scorrie
12-Mar-08, 21:22
Sorry I have read that article 3 times and still don't see where it answers my question.:confused

I think that this may have been the page intended:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/12/ntodd112.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

Life is never as straightforward as it seems. On the surface it can appear to be fine but we all have a side that other people don't see. Being in a high profile job or having money and security do not equate to happiness. People are rarely as perfect as they sometimes seem. Just another sad tale of life becoming too much and family being left to pick up the pieces.

karia
12-Mar-08, 21:28
Thank you scorrie.

mareng
13-Mar-08, 06:57
Whatever the reason, he was one of the (very) few Chief Constables in the UK to have the respect of his rank and file staff.

Ian.

They probably all do, if they die while in the job. Who's going to say otherwise?

percy toboggan
13-Mar-08, 18:28
Yesterday's 'Manchester Evening News' carried the banner headline 'WHY?'
Tabloid newspaper shave today been shedding some light on the loss of our Chief Constable.

Apparently the man, prone to bouts of depression had had a string of affairs ...the latest one linked to a successful Manchester businesswoman who has now locked herself indoors!

His wife and family remained in Nottingham when Todd took up the job so he was up here er...on his Todd.

Some men are ruled by their todgers - even , or especially highly intelligent ones and successful ones moreso perhaps...they have the dosh to splash and some (pathetic) women are attracted by power and status...not to mention uniform, as in this case.

I don't know the in's and out's...don't want to. All families are different but there's no way my missus would put up with this, no matter what the pay, nor the pension. If you're a woman, would you??

The man was highly popular at work. Coppers often stray - especially with colleagues - I know from close personal family experience. Their social circles are often restricted to colleagues and this makes the chances more likely.They have so much shared experience , often shared adrenalin rushes and work in difficult circumstances...this can bring the most unlikely people together in intimate circumstances.

I have read that Todd has had affairs with more junior officers.
Is this acceptable behaviour? Probably - if you're not his missus.
Or is it? I'm inteersted to gauge opinion.

I'm no prim and proper prude and don't censure folk as a rule but the higher you climb in a public service like the Police then more discerning you need to be about your private life. You have further to fall - no pun on this weeks events.

I hope Mrs.Todd, still youngish after all, eventually finds a new fella who will cherish her and be wise enough not to be ruled by his truncheon.

karia
13-Mar-08, 18:42
Bit of a 'red letter' day percy...I agree with everything you have said above.:)

Today's unfolding news on the subject was sadly predictable , by his actions he has hurt many people and not stuck around to shoulder the blame.:(

Sporran
13-Mar-08, 19:49
Tabloid newspaper shave today been shedding some light on the loss of our Chief Constable.

Apparently the man, prone to bouts of depression had had a string of affairs ...the latest one linked to a successful Manchester businesswoman who has now locked herself indoors!

His wife and family remained in Nottingham when Todd took up the job so he was up here er...on his Todd.

Some men are ruled by their todgers - even , or especially highly intelligent ones and successful ones moreso perhaps...they have the dosh to splash and some (pathetic) women are attracted by power and status...not to mention uniform, as in this case.

The man was highly popular at work. Coppers often stray - especially with colleagues - I know from close personal family experience. Their social circles are often restricted to colleagues and this makes the chances more likely.They have so much shared experience , often shared adrenalin rushes and work in difficult circumstances...this can bring the most unlikely people together in intimate circumstances.

I'm not condoning Michaels Todd's affairs by any means. But women were probably attracted to him by more than just money, power, status and uniform. I can see from the photos of him on the on-line news articles that he was a very good looking man. Add to that his personal charisma, and it's easy to see why women were drawn to him, even if it was morally unjust. If his family had moved with him to Manchester, perhaps he would have been less likely to stray. He may have turned to other women partially out of lonliness, and for a shoulder to cry on in times of depression. If I had been Mrs Todd, I would have moved myself and the family up north, to be with him seven days a week, not just at weekends.

karia
13-Mar-08, 20:02
I'm not condoning Michaels Todd's affairs by any means. But women were probably attracted to him by more than just money, power, status and uniform. I can see from the photos of him on the on-line news articles that he was a very good looking man. Add to that his personal charisma, and it's easy to see why women were drawn to him, even if it was morally unjust. If his family had moved with him to Manchester, perhaps he would have been less likely to stray. He may have turned to other women partially out of lonliness, and for a shoulder to cry on in times of depression. If I had been Mrs Todd, I would have moved myself and the family up north, to be with him seven days a week, not just at weekends.

Fair enough sporran..I'd have done the same, but surely the onus shouldn't be on his wife to 'up sticks' or have him cheat on her.:confused

I'd have no problem trusting Mr karia (or myself) to be faithful even if we were apart all week.

It's just a matter of investing in and cherishing your relationship.

Maybe he was lonely..but you can interact with people in lots of ways that allow you to keep your clothes on and not compromise yourself and your loved ones.

percy toboggan
13-Mar-08, 20:07
.... he was a very good looking man. Add to that his personal charisma, and it's easy to see why women were drawn to him, even if it was morally unjust. .

Beauty, as ever in the eye of the beholder Sporran and...
incidentally I don't think 'women being drawn to him' is 'morally unjust' on their part, or his. It's possible to enjoy, indeed relish the company of women, younger and older without taking them to your bed. It's almost equally good for the ego of a middle aged bloke....and there are far fewer complications.

If, as a married man you're going to go down the latter route then it's best to be honest with the Mrs...then she can decide if the relationship can see a way through it. Todd may well have done this. If so though it doesn't seem to have eased his troubled mind much.

And charisma...ahhh charisma...there used to be a t.v. ad for a certain pipe tobacco (Condor, but you won't remember) that portrayed 'charisma'....in the sixties it seemed a clay full of auld twist would have women flocking after you....not so today I'd wager ...it takes a six figure salary, chromium eapulets and a fancy hat to attract some...I have little charisma...it's in short supply in our yard generally. Most men at ground level in the recycling, or trucking industries are uncharismatic...not so senior cops perhaps...in fact the more senior they get the more charismatic the junior cops seem to find 'em ! Frankly, if innate charisma ends up with one leaping off the side of a Welsh mountain I'm better off without it;)

Interesting discourse Sporran...I found much to think about in your post.

RIR
13-Mar-08, 20:42

Ian.

They probably all do, if they die while in the job. Who's going to say otherwise?

Trust me, he did. And very, very few do.

Ian.

karia
13-Mar-08, 22:20
Trust me, he did. And very, very few do.

Ian.

Do you think that respect remains now?:confused

Sporran
13-Mar-08, 22:54

Fair enough sporran..I'd have done the same, but surely the onus shouldn't be on his wife to 'up sticks' or have him cheat on her.:confused

I'd have no problem trusting Mr karia (or myself) to be faithful even if we were apart all week.

It's just a matter of investing in and cherishing your relationship.

Maybe he was lonely..but you can interact with people in lots of ways that allow you to keep your clothes on and not compromise yourself and your loved ones.

I see your point, Karia, but his only seeing his wife and kids at weekends had been going on for some time. Several years, in fact. And that's not good for any marriage, whether the husband is prone to cheating on his wife, or not.

karia
13-Mar-08, 23:00
I see your point, Karia, but his only seeing his wife and kids at weekends had been going on for some time. Several years, in fact. And that's not good for any marriage, whether the husband is prone to cheating on his wife, or not.

Agreed!.it aint good for a relationship to be apart..but it doesn't automatically kill one either..if you are strong and committed.

Mrs Todd seemed to manage.:D

Sporran
13-Mar-08, 23:15
Agreed!.it aint good for a relationship to be apart..but it doesn't automatically kill one either..if you are strong and committed.

Mrs Todd seemed to manage.:D

As far as we have been told, she did seem to manage, but I still think things might have turned out differently, had they been together all the time.

karia
13-Mar-08, 23:23
As far as we have been told, she did seem to manage, but I still think things might have turned out differently, had they been together all the time.

Totally agree Sporran,

I want mine to be with me by choice though.. not convenience...lay a hundred temptations in front of him and he will still know we are special..and choose to be with me.

Ye cannae blame Mrs Todd for his bad choices!

Sporran
13-Mar-08, 23:29
Totally agree Sporran,

I want mine to be with me by choice though.. not convenience...lay a hundred temptations in front of him and he will still know we are special..and choose to be with me.

Ye cannae blame Mrs Todd for his bad choices!

I'm not blaming Mrs Todd at all.

karia
13-Mar-08, 23:49
I'm not blaming Mrs Todd at all.

Accepted...hev PM'd you!

Anne x
14-Mar-08, 01:10
Mmm mixed views on this one said from the start when the story broke corruption or a woman !!
He was a really good looking man for his years
away from home wife family

He obviously lived the single man lifestyle Mon-Fri and probably got caught up in that scenario of Highlife entertaining whoever and wherever during the week home to wife and kids at weekends

In his case it has obviously became to much for him either the wife and kids and feeling remorse has got to him or he actually wanted to be with the other

lots of men live like that ask any contractor that has worked away from home good life during the week etc etc

still a waste of a good life whatever way you view it
so sad

Sporran
14-Mar-08, 03:46
Tabloid newspapers have today been shedding some light on the loss of our Chief Constable.

Hmm, well I think it works both ways, Percy. Some men are attracted by power and status in women. I have known some men who are. Perhaps one of the reasons Michael Todd was attracted to Angie Robinson was because of her success as a businesswoman. They have both been described by the media as 'high flyers'. She may not have worn a uniform, but smart business clothing and high heels can be just as enticing!

JimH
14-Mar-08, 16:54
This guy was too good at his job - There is sure to be more to this than meets the eye!.

cd1977
14-Mar-08, 17:20
One of the Sunday red tops was about to run with a story on this guy.

Seems he took the easy option.

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 17:58

Seems he took the easy option.

You think it easy to commit suicide? I disagree, that's why I can never accept it's a 'cowards' way out.

The poster who said he was enjoying the single life in Manchester well, in his defence I'd guess he working a sixty hour week minimum in that job - time for extra-marital fornication limited I'd guess.

Oh and...'good looking man for his years?:eek: steady on, he was only fifty!
It's the new thirty...the old thirty is now about fifteen.:lol:

scorrie
14-Mar-08, 21:11
You think it easy to commit suicide? I disagree, that's why I can never accept it's a 'cowards' way out.

Put it this way. HIS worries are over. His wife has an awful lot of crap left to deal with on her own.

He could be in Bobby Heaven with 24 young, virginal, female recruits waiting to go "Undercover" with him.

He may have been good at his job but he wasn't very good in his role as a husband.

percy toboggan
14-Mar-08, 22:18
Put it this way. HIS worries are over. His wife has an awful lot of crap left to deal with on her own.

He could be in Bobby Heaven with 24 young, virginal, female recruits waiting to go "Undercover" with him.

He may have been good at his job but he wasn't very good in his role as a husband.
Well put.
Mrs. Todd will be okay within a year or so, with a fat pension to die for, and live on in supreme comfort for the rest of her days.

I'm afraid when the powerful and the mighty screw up (down or sideways) they get little sympathy from the humble likes of I.

KCI
14-Mar-08, 23:51
Although I respect everyone's point of view, I found this quite sad.

What do you all think when you hear the word "suicide?"

Suicide, to me, means that someone has reached the point of total desperation, and feel that they just can't carry on with their lives any more. To me, it means that someone felt totally helpless and alone.

I understand what you are all saying, about how terrible and difficult it is for the people who are left behind - and I agree with that. But it's a no win situation for everyone concerned.

Also, we only know what we read in the papers. We don't know what else was going on in anyone's life, so we can't really judge.

The bottom line is that someone has died, and that is very sad.

dook
15-Mar-08, 00:09
Well put.
Mrs. Todd will be okay within a year or so, with a fat pension to die for, and live on in supreme comfort for the rest of her days.

I'm afraid when the powerful and the mighty screw up (down or sideways) they get little sympathy from the humble likes of I.

Is the wife "powerful and mighty"? That's quite a pop.

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 00:18
Is the wife "powerful and mighty"? That's quite a pop.

She was not the one that 'screwed up' here.
Her husband...who was exceedingly powerful, did.
I hope Mrs.Todd manages to hold herself together, and her family through this difficult period.

In time...as I alluded to earlier, she will move on. I hope.

karia
15-Mar-08, 00:23
Well put.
Mrs. Todd will be okay within a year or so, with a fat pension to die for

Women aren't that shallow..a few years and a good pension makes up for the heartbreak and betrayal of your marriage and parenthood?

do ye think?:confused

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 00:30
Women aren't that shallow..a few years and a good pension makes up for the heartbreak and betrayal of your marriage and parenthood?

do ye think?:confused

In a nutshell, yes. Particularly if the woman lets common sense override emotion.

JAWS
15-Mar-08, 01:02

Seems he took the easy option.No, a gentleman called Max Clifford announced he had supposedly been contacted by a supposedly unknown person claiming that he allegedly had information which would allegedly bring down an unknown Senior Police Officer.
The upright and honourable Mr Clifford allegedly advised the caller who had allegedly called him and who allegedly had a Northern or Liverpudlian accent that such an allegation would need proof the alleged caller was never heard from again. Mr Clifford was very careful to cover himself by stating that the alleged Senior police Officer was not necessarily Mr Todd.
Since then the press have been running with the story that a Sunday Newspaper was allegedly going to run such a story.
Now, of course, every Sunday Newspaper will be carrying every juicy and titillating detail of the happening. If the supposed "Expose" is fact then one of the Sundays will have far more previously unknown details than the others. If that is not the case then that particular idea can be discounted.

For those who think suicide is either the "cowards" of the "easy way" out I sincerely hope you are never in a position to contemplate finding the horrible truth of the matter.

Anne x
15-Mar-08, 01:45
Percy I did not suggest for one minute he didnt put the hours in
I am quite sure he did and reaped the benefits you reap what you sow

Nor did I mention age as 50 being old far from it all I said was he was a extremely handsome man for his age

As for the point of Suicide is this the case here
Well the family that are left behind are the ones that ask why this happened they are the ones always left to pick up the pieces

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 09:09
Percy I did not suggest for one minute he didnt put the hours in
I am quite sure he did and reaped the benefits you reap what you sow

Nor did I mention age as 50 being old far from it all I said was he was a extremely handsome man for his age

As for the point of Suicide is this the case here
Well the family that are left behind are the ones that ask why this happened they are the ones always left to pick up the pieces

Point one: Not always, it depends how fertile the soil, how kind the climate around you.

Point two: My response was jocular.:) ...and anyone knows you can be 'old' at 30, never mind 50.

Point three: Sometimes a suicide note can help explain and might fill in some of the void. The 'pieces' in this case are sadly going to be dredged in the gutter press, and even half-decent newspapers. For this reason I do have extra sympathy for those left behind. I'd suggest a holiday far-away over the Easter period which will have minimum impact on the childrens education.
The public broo-ha-ha will have subsided in three weeks time.

Thank you for the discourse Anne, I respect your point of view.

Angela
15-Mar-08, 10:49
None of us can know what Mrs Todd is feeling.

Like her I lost my husband very suddenly, in the prime of life.

Unlike her, I wasn't left a rich widow, but then I don't have to live with the knowledge that my husband committed suicide or that he had been unfaithful to me.

I can only try to imagine how terrible that must be. Any sudden bereavement is a shattering experience and can take a very long time to recover from, but a death by suicide must be so much harder to accept.

The whole situation is desperately sad and I feel most of all for the children. I have two friends whose fathers committed suicide and they have never been able to put this behind them. I can only hope that the Todd children won't have their lives destroyed by their father's actions.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 13:39
For those who think suicide is either the "cowards" of the "easy way" out I sincerely how you are never in a position to contemplate finding the horrible truth of the matter.

What is this horrible truth? Unless you can communicate with the dead, it is impossible to know.

Sporran
15-Mar-08, 18:06
What is this horrible truth? Unless you can communicate with the dead, it is impossible to know.

The horrible truth is that nobody comes out a winner.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 18:55
The horrible truth is that nobody comes out a winner.

Only Michael Todd knows if he made the right decision. Someone driven to committing suicide or even thinking about it, is clearly not coping with life. Nobody can know whether that turmoil has repercussions in the next life, assuming there is one. We DO know, however that his pain and responsibilities in this life are now removed. For those left behind, anxiety and suffering is increased many fold, as a result of HIS actions. It will take inner strength and backbone on their part to carry on. Qualities Michael Todd clearly did not possess.

percy toboggan
15-Mar-08, 19:40
Only Michael Todd knows if he made the right decision..

Does he eck! He's deed !

Anne x
15-Mar-08, 21:20
Nobody knows what went on his mind
or any other person that commits suicide the heartache pain and complete soul searching that goes on within a family when this happens is just so soul destroying they spend every wakening moment and sleepless night asking why ?
you even ask yourselves are we that disfunctional as a family that the person could not share or reach out to a member of the said family
the person who took there own life gets some peace well we believe they do and cling to the hope they are at peace

JAWS
15-Mar-08, 21:50
What is this horrible truth? Unless you can communicate with the dead, it is impossible to know.Read it again, carefully, instead of simply, as usual, leaping to conclusions more in line with what you wish to see.

I am speaking about contemplating and carrying out the act of suicide. What happens to anybody after their death is a completely different subject which very few people are qualified to speak on with any authority and something I would not even contemplate.

For everybody’s information I have corrected the word "how" to "hope", which is what I intended to type, in the last sentence of that post.

scorrie
15-Mar-08, 22:35
Read it again, carefully, instead of simply, as usual, leaping to conclusions more in line with what you wish to see.

I am speaking about contemplating and carrying out the act of suicide. What happens to anybody after their death is a completely different subject which very few people are qualified to speak on with any authority and something I would not even contemplate.

For everybody’s information I have corrected the word "how" to "hope", which is what I intended to type, in the last sentence of that post.

I know perfectly well what you are talking about. I don't need to read it more carefully. The bottom line is that the man's problems are over and those of his family are not. He may well have had a tortured mind. So what? That makes no difference to the fact that he is at rest now, while his family have to carry on going through the mill. Had he been able to face his demons and carry on with life, you have to say that it would have been more admirable than the option he chose. Suicide is a choice made by the self, for the self. Did he care about the mess he was leaving behind? The man was in a pickle of his own making, he couldn't deal with facing up to being caught out for what he actually was. Compare him to a faithful husband or wife, killed in the line of duty as a Police Officer and the level of sympathy has to be different.

I don't need a lecture from you about my skills of interpretation, I just don't happen to agree with your opinion. Trying to suggest that I am not intelligent enough to read your posts properly is a poor tactic on your part but one that does not surprise me, as you have made a profession of disagreeing with me since the year dot.

percy toboggan
16-Mar-08, 09:38
... as you have made a profession of disagreeing with me since the year dot.

AYE?? Listen...if there's money to be made for doing this cut me in :lol:

squidge
16-Mar-08, 10:16
I always hear that suicide is a selfish and cowardly act...I often wonder how we know that. Some people who commit suicide may feel that they cant cope with it any more and they need a way out but I am sure that mzny people feel that they are doing the best thing for their families and loved ones, they may feel that they are so useless and so much of a burden that the best thing they can do for their families is to die because their families will be so much better off without them. Is that selfish or is it generous? to commit suicide may mean that your ability to rationalise things is impaired, you may only see that things will be better for those you leave behind not worse. I think its a shame either way

Sporran
16-Mar-08, 17:06
I don't think suicide is a cowardly or selfish act. I would think it takes a great deal of courage to kill oneself! We are all born with an instinct for self preservation, are we not? I think you're right, squidge, in saying that many people who commit suicide do so thinking that their family and loved ones would be better off without them.

cd1977
17-Mar-08, 09:57
I dont accept at all that what he did was for the benefit of those left behind.

philupmaboug
17-Mar-08, 11:25
Did he care about the mess he was leaving behind? The man was in a pickle of his own making, he couldn't deal with facing up to being caught out for what he actually was.

Have to agree Scorrie, he knew the game was up and he would no longer be the big "I am" so he did it for himself. If he did it for those he left behind he would not have chosen an obvious suicide as the insurance companies are not too keen on paying out. He reaped what he sowed!

squidge
17-Mar-08, 16:44
You assume that at the point someone commits suicide they are rational enough to think about the insurance company. I dont know but there are a lot of posts lacking in compassion here if you ask me. I forgot how judgemental this board can be but i would have thought that anyone so desperate and alone that suicide is being some compassion and his wife and family certainly do - fat pension indeed percy - shame on you

KCI
17-Mar-08, 16:52
I know I am going to be a bit unpopular here, but I feel this thread is turning into a debate about suicide, rather than a place to offer condolences for someone who has died.

It's a shame, because it sounds like Michael Todd will only be remembered for committing suicide, and not for any of the good work that he carried out.

Apparently, Michael Todd was a "decent and committed policeman".

'Chief Constable Todd has had a long and distinguished career in various forces and has contributed greatly to the fight against crime and terrorism.'

Just a reminder, about what other people thought of him.

karia
17-Mar-08, 16:57
True KCI...but the fact of the matter is this thread is about his death and the circumstances pertaining to it.

percy toboggan
17-Mar-08, 18:11
True KCI...but the fact of the matter is this thread is about his death and the circumstances pertaining to it.

It is an unusul case. How many chiefs of Police have multiple mistresses then decide to end it all at the foot of a Welsh cliff. Not that the location of the cliff is relevant, of course.

Kevin Milkins
17-Mar-08, 19:46
It is an unusul case. How many chiefs of Police have multiple mistresses then decide to end it all at the foot of a Welsh cliff. Not that the location of the cliff is relevant, of course.

No offence taken. lol

percy toboggan
17-Mar-08, 19:54
No offence taken. lol

I think of all the Welsh cliffs it was Cliff Jones who stays in my memory most.
He wasn't a copper at all, but a flying winger in the double winning Spurs team of 1962. He didn't commit suicide, instead signed for Swansea Town I think.
:confusedI wonder if he had multiple mistresses on the minimum wage.

Just musing out loud here...like yer doo.

wonbat
17-Mar-08, 21:53
Very sad some of you, how would you feel if this was one of your family reading this

the DEAD can not reply but some of you seem to know better?

karia
17-Mar-08, 22:22
Very sad some of you, how would you feel if this was one of your family reading this

They can't reply....or be held accountable.
That's our point..it's what he chose!:eek:

He skipped out before the show got started and left everyone else ..including the kids he loved so much..to take the flak.

Wiz your dad the man who..?

Parenthood at its most thunderously good...ha ha!:(

justine
17-Mar-08, 22:31

well said...the poor guy is dead and unless they publish the personal letters no-one can pass any judment on his thoughts at the time of his death...

karia
17-Mar-08, 22:39
Well said!

He'd looked at his Blackberry ....realised he was double booked and thought..

'Thunder me..am I in trouble!'..........GPS the nearest cliff!'

Happens to everyone.[lol][lol]

wonbat
17-Mar-08, 22:57
why? has your week just started, some people have just lost a dad for whatever reason, our still kickin

scorrie
17-Mar-08, 23:01
I know I am going to be a bit unpopular here, but I feel this thread is turning into a debate about suicide, rather than a place to offer condolences for someone who has died.

It's a shame, because it sounds like Michael Todd will only be remembered for committing suicide, and not for any of the good work that he carried out.

Apparently, Michael Todd was a "decent and committed policeman".

'Chief Constable Todd has had a long and distinguished career in various forces and has contributed greatly to the fight against crime and terrorism.'

Just a reminder, about what other people thought of him.

Who said that any forum should be a place solely for condolences?

I am not a fan of the idea of these "books of condolences", where people, who did not know the person involved, nor they them, add their names in some bizarre display of faux sympathy. How can you feel genuine sympathy for someone you knew nothing about? In any case, why should someone get sympathy simply because they happen to be in the media spotlight? Many fine people die every day in sad circumstances. What about the sympathy for them?

OK, the man may have been a committed and distinguished policeman, but I am sure that comes as little comfort to a widow betrayed. Many people have successful careers at the expense of being a poor husband and/or father. I would far rather salute a dedicated partner and parent, than a highflyer who can only get there by putting themselves before their family.

I really wonder about the psyche of the public at times. Looking back at Princess Diana's death, we had people clamouring to sign books of condolence and fortunes being spent on wreaths. Some of those same people wouldn't give a starving bairn a second look or think about putting a pound in a charity box.

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 23:01
Well said!

He'd looked at his Blackberry ....realised he was double booked and thought..

'Thunder me..am I in trouble!'..........GPS the nearest cliff!'

Happens to everyone.[lol]

Oh, Thank You Very Much!!!

I laughed at that! Now I'll never get into heaven and it's all your fault! ;)

wonbat
17-Mar-08, 23:05
Oh, Thank You Very Much!!!

I laughed at that! Now I'll never get into heaven and it's all your fault! ;)

LAUGH? let me know when some body close to you dies then we can all have a LAUGH

Sapphire2803
17-Mar-08, 23:06
LAUGH? let me know when some body close to you dies then we can all have a LAUGH

Ok, will do. :roll:

KCI
18-Mar-08, 00:04
Who said that any forum should be a place solely for condolences?

I am not a fan of the idea of these "books of condolences", where people, who did not know the person involved, nor they them, add their names in some bizarre display of faux sympathy. How can you feel genuine sympathy for someone you knew nothing about? In any case, why should someone get sympathy simply because they happen to be in the media spotlight? Many fine people die every day in sad circumstances. What about the sympathy for them?

OK, the man may have been a committed and distinguished policeman, but I am sure that comes as little comfort to a widow betrayed. Many people have successful careers at the expense of being a poor husband and/or father. I would far rather salute a dedicated partner and parent, than a highflyer who can only get there by putting themselves before their family.

I really wonder about the psyche of the public at times. Looking back at Princess Diana's death, we had people clamouring to sign books of condolence and fortunes being spent on wreaths. Some of those same people wouldn't give a starving bairn a second look or think about putting a pound in a charity box.

I didn't say that the forum should be a place solely for condolences.

I just think it's a shame that we are all discussing the way someone has died, and why they chose to die in that way.

Maybe a seperate thread should have been started about suicide. Just my opinion.

scorrie
18-Mar-08, 15:15
I just think it's a shame that we are all discussing the way someone has died, and why they chose to die in that way.

Why is it a shame?

I prefer to know the truth and discuss the reality of life. We could have been told only that this man was a good cop who committed suicide. No doubt all posts on the thread would then have been about sympathy for the man and his family. However, once the truth emerges and we know that he has been cheating on his wife, with goodness knows how many women, then the sympathy for the man himself subsides for me and, no doubt, many others. That is not a shame, it is simply the fact of the matter.

percy toboggan
18-Mar-08, 17:04
Scorrie: I have tried to 'good rep' you several times recently becaue I like your attitude, your often combative stance and a general willingness to think outside the box, whilst also allowing others to do so too.

Whilst making 'lite' on this subject might upset some folk I recommend that you retain a sense of perspective. The wealthy and powerful, and those set up to supervise the rest of us are fair game - alive or dead, for the lampooning wit of the interested satirist...especially when their private lives are as colourful as this fellows. I seriously doubt whether the mans close relatives will be scanning internet forums for signs of grovelling grief. I wish his family every joy going forward.

Initially I was slightly shocked, then surprised but the org''s systems just won't let me good rep you Scorrie.

scotsboy
18-Mar-08, 17:39
I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for his family, however I think that something major has been overlooked in relation to the position Michael Todd held and his lifestyle. He was Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police and was known to be a philanderer. His position would have made him privy to information relating to high level security information relating to crime and terrorism, and because of his lifestyle wide open to potential blackmail and extortion. To reach his position he would undoubtedly gone through various levels of vetting, and one can only assume that he has provided false information or others were complicit on painting a picture of a “jolly decent fellow”.

Who knows what pressures he was under and why he decided to take his own life, but we can rest assured that his problems were of his own making.

scorrie
18-Mar-08, 17:51
Scorrie: I have tried to 'good rep' you several times recently becaue I like your attitude, your often combative stance and a general willingness to think outside the box, whilst also allowing others to do so too.

Whilst making 'lite' on this subject might upset some folk I recommend that you retain a sense of perspective. The wealthy and powerful, and those set up to supervise the rest of us are fair game - alive or dead, for the lampooning wit of the interested satirist...especially when their private lives are as colourful as this fellows. I seriously doubt whether the mans close relatives will be scanning internet forums for signs of grovelling grief. I wish his family every joy going forward.

Initially I was slightly shocked, then surprised but the org''s systems just won't let me good rep you Scorrie.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am not posting in order to humiliate the man or his family. I am simply puzzled as to why we should feel sorrow for a man who made a conscious choice to end his life because he had been discovered to have been unfaithful to his wife. I keep asking myself why he couldn't just own up and face the music? Perhaps his wife would have forgiven him, perhaps not. It is more likely that he was a career man and could not face the disgrace, perhaps he feared that it might ruin his career. Only Michael Todd knows why he felt he could not carry on. Did he give any thought to what it would do to his family?

For me, the sympathy should lie with those left behind to deal with the aftermath. Others have their own opinions, I cannot change or condemn those opinions but I feel it is fair for me to question the logic and rationality of them and perhaps get people to look at it from another angle.

I tend to agree that those in power and authority should be fair game for the common man. There are limits to where I will venture in the name of humour but it seems to me that there are less and less sources available in an era of Political Correctness. The latest offended group were Gypsies, who complained about "Stereotyping" in a Basil Brush show which featured a Gypsy selling clothes pegs.

scorrie
18-Mar-08, 17:55
I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for his family, however I think that something major has been overlooked in relation to the position Michael Todd held and his lifestyle. He was Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police and was known to be a philanderer. His position would have made him privy to information relating to high level security information relating to crime and terrorism, and because of his lifestyle wide open to potential blackmail and extortion. To reach his position he would undoubtedly gone through various levels of vetting, and one can only assume that he has provided false information or others were complicit on painting a picture of a “jolly decent fellow”.

Who knows what pressures he was under and why he decided to take his own life, but we can rest assured that his problems were of his own making.

That is a very good point you make about the potential for blackmail. I hadn't considered that aspect. A well informed sleaze bag with a camera, who happened to be in the right place at the right time, could have ended up with very damaging photos in their possession.

bekisman
18-Mar-08, 18:28
Bit off Thread, BUT; Percy: "Initially I was slightly shocked, then surprised but the org''s systems just won't let me good rep you Scorrie."

I've found this too, I've tried to good rep a couple of people and it tells me 'spread it around first' - but I don't want too.. was the reason for this 'rule' that stops me?

scorrie
18-Mar-08, 21:50
I've found this too, I've tried to good rep a couple of people and it tells me 'spread it around first' - but I don't want too.. was the reason for this 'rule' that stops me?

Perhaps some people take the instruction to "spread it around", a little too much to heart in life ;)