PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas ?

Sketch
10-Mar-08, 14:35
Can anyone help me with a technical issue that's just drivin me mad?

I've had to re-install AOL software due to connection problems. Since then my laptop has worked faster and smoother than ever, woohoo....BUT....I've not been able to open 'Sytem Restore', just a blank white screen. I can no longer open 'System information' just get a blank white screen and some web pages don't show, just a white blank screen and some buttons on web pages do not work. So when wanting to access some areas of a website I sometime have to re-route. Sometimes that works, sometimes no. If I want to sign off AOL the only way I can is by using the 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' and ending e task. I'm running on Windows Xp Pro, AOL as my ISP, AVG for security. Anyone got any ideas? The only thing I can think of is the Activx Controls, but how do I sort them out? I've dissabled, enabled and even promted e activx's in the internet settings but, nothing. I'm at a loss now, any ideas? Thanxx

blueivy
12-Mar-08, 11:58
Can anyone help me with a technical issue that's just drivin me mad?

I've had to re-install AOL software due to connection problems. Since then my laptop has worked faster and smoother than ever, woohoo....BUT....I've not been able to open 'Sytem Restore', just a blank white screen. I can no longer open 'System information' just get a blank white screen and some web pages don't show, just a white blank screen and some buttons on web pages do not work. So when wanting to access some areas of a website I sometime have to re-route. Sometimes that works, sometimes no. If I want to sign off AOL the only way I can is by using the 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' and ending e task. I'm running on Windows Xp Pro, AOL as my ISP, AVG for security. Anyone got any ideas? The only thing I can think of is the Activx Controls, but how do I sort them out? I've dissabled, enabled and even promted e activx's in the internet settings but, nothing. I'm at a loss now, any ideas? Thanxx

AOL's software of old was a nightmare to install, support and remove. I have avoided it as much as I can, but I did think it would have gotten better.

I have a couple of suggestions.

1. I know you have AVG installed, however it's not the greatest antivirus out there. Run a full virus scan, preferably using another antivirus. The reason I suggest this is that the System Restore tab going missing could be a way, potentially, of you eradicating a virus (all depending on what virus it is) so the virus may remove it. Another thing to look at before you run a scan is to ensure that AVG is actually up to date (as another trick used by a lot of viruses is to stop your av software updating). I'd also suggest you run a good antispyware application on your machine to ensure that it's not some sort of other malware. If you want a legit key for one I resell, PM me as I have 9 to get rid of that I got as a sales freebie (anybody else who wants one can also PM me).

2. If everything checks out fine, remove the AOL software, reboot and see if you can see the System Restore tab.

3. Do a System Restore to a date before you installed the AOL software. Do this from Safe Mode - press F8 when your PC just starts to boot Windows and choose Safe Mode from the menu. Follow the prompts to restore your machine to a previous date.

If that doesn't work, then I think you may be looking at wiping and reinstalling XP. The System Restore tab and System Information tab are part of the OS so it's not normal for them not to appear and potentially shows a serious underlying problem.

Before doing that however, I'd reinstall Service Pack 2 for XP. It's a long shot but it's worth a go after all you've got nothing to lose.

Let us know how you get on.

Sketch
12-Mar-08, 23:08
Hi, Thank you ever so much for your reply, Blueivy. I'll give it a go and see what happends. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again.