PDA

View Full Version : why not caithness, sutherland etc?

lynne duncan
07-Mar-08, 17:17
why do the powers that be want to impose the title north highland on us?
I'm extremely proud of being A. a wicker and B. caithnessian
why must the titles be changed?
at the rate they're going the titles of caithness and sutherland will be resigned to the history books
is it only me that is of this opinion?

oldchemist
07-Mar-08, 17:23
Could not agree more. I think it just serves to support the view that we are all being centralised to Inverness (for local government), the central belt of Scotland(for whatever type of govenment that is) and Westminster (for national government).

The recent bollocks about Caithness having gaelic language road signs imposed is a good example of additional cost for little or no benefit. Why not go with the Norse names for the likes of Wick, Watten, Thurso etc?

olivia
07-Mar-08, 17:33
Yet another ridiculous notion. Keep Caithness and Sutherland. I love it when I phone one of these call centres and say I'm in Caithness and they say 'Where's that?'

unicorn
07-Mar-08, 17:58
ok I don't want Gaelic signposts that are wasting my tax pounds and I don't want Caithness's title changed cos someone thinks it's a good brain fart!! where do I complain? :eek:

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 18:14
We are from Caithness.....not North Highland! RIDICULOUS statement to try and change us!

Flyermonkey
07-Mar-08, 18:29
I don't particularly agree with having gaelic on sign posts up here but small point...

ok I don't want Gaelic signposts that are wasting my tax pounds
Caithness having gaelic language road signs imposed is a good example of additional cost for little or no benefitThere are no additional costs involved as apparently they will only add gaelic to signs when the original ones need replaced or on new signs and it costs pretty much the same to put one word on a sign as two.

I suppose its something interesting for the tourists to look - part of 'Brand Highlands' and all that.

mccaugm
07-Mar-08, 18:54
at the rate they're going the titles of caithness and sutherland will be resigned to the history books

I am from Ross-Shire and now live in Caithness, it would not matter if they tried to call us North Highland, no-one would abide by it would they. We are all (in the main) proud of our heritage and rightly so.

Its ironic that we still have postcodes that make us appear as if we are from Orkney....but they want us to be North Highland.

Rheghead
07-Mar-08, 19:12
I don't like the sound of Gallaibh.org at all.

Kenn
07-Mar-08, 19:26
And just how do you pronounce that Rheghead?

I thought The Highlands covered the mountain areas north of Inverness and as Caithness does n't have a mountain, just an almost one, how can it be classed as highlands?

Rheghead
07-Mar-08, 19:28
galluv i think, lol

percy toboggan
07-Mar-08, 19:54
I hope these proposals are resisted...look what happened to Westmorland and Cumberland...the names Caithness and Sutherland are beautiful -North Highland doesn't cut it...it's not even accurate is it?

northener
07-Mar-08, 20:46
The same thing happened in Yorkshire, the old 'Ridings' (meaning third, that's why there never was a South Riding) were replaced with administrative regions.

Resist at all costs, the people who make these decisions very rarely have any connection with the area and see everything purely in bureaucratic and administrative terms.

Culturally, we will lose a lot. Just to keep 'administration' simple. As far as a lot of people are concerned, Scotland ends at Inverness when travelling North[disgust]

Resist!

Tugmistress
07-Mar-08, 20:51
Well i for one hope they keep caithness and sutherland. I was brought up in east yorkshire, they changed it to north humberside a while back, but that many people kept writing on letters using east yorkshire as the county that not so long ago they reverted it back! i'll do exactly the same if they try changing this, i'll always use caithness :D

golach
07-Mar-08, 20:54
Sad to say Eck's party rules, so us normal decent folks have not much control these days :D
Down here we are refered to as the Lothians, but East, West & Midlothian all have their seperate Councils.
I too am proud to be Caithness born, but I am also proud to be married to a Leither, and I also love Leith.

unicorn
07-Mar-08, 20:56
It must cost more for the extra lettering, it costs £1.09 a word to put a notice in the local paper so I can just imagine how much the fancy sign lettering must cost.

Bill Fernie
07-Mar-08, 21:00
The Bondary Commission for Scotland has this under consultation until 14 March 2008. I suggest anyone who wants to ensure that the county names are reteined in the area titles makes their views known via the web site at http://www.bcomm-scotland.gov.uk/

It is easy enough to suggest that county names be retained in the new constituency areas.

Highland Council is suggesting a change to four areas instead of three with Inverness area being included as an area in its own right to reflect the growth that shows no sign of slowing down. This would give four areas of similar size in number of voters.

At the meeting on Thursday 6 March Highland councillors agreed to object to the Boundary Commissions' proposals for Highland. You can see the counter proprosals in the paper at http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/44EA2F81-CDD2-4692-B595-D42F4BC2C4AF/0/Item12hc5207.pdf

Councillors were also unhappy at the proposed name changes as suggested and prefernce was for names that included the former county names even if it meant the names were longer.

SOAC
07-Mar-08, 21:06
As for signs surely the new signs will be bigger as text has to be a given size as they now have to cover two languages and that the text has to be translated (who by, where and at what cost) leading to extra delay = additional costs?

What is the point of a sign? Surely it directs and informs. Does having a road sign in two languages assist road safety or provide additional and important information?

Does it just cover road signs?

How does this help Gaeldom or the people of Caithness?

northener
07-Mar-08, 21:10
Isn't it strange how 2 seperate threads on 2 seperate issues regarding Caithness are becoming blurred into one?

That should say a lot regarding people's feelings up here.

Flyermonkey
07-Mar-08, 21:11
It must cost more for the extra lettering, it costs £1.09 a word to put a notice in the local paper so I can just imagine how much the fancy sign lettering must cost.

I think (correct me if I am wrong) that road signs are made from metal with a vinyl overlay - the letters are cut out of the vinyl revealing the white surface below - as the vinyl is likely to be cut by machine the cost of the extra letters is negligible. The only extra cost would be if they suddenly had to make much bigger signs but I would be surprised if they had to do that to fit in a couple of extra gaelic words.

The paper charges £1.09 a word as thats what they think they can get away with, but it doesn't actually cost them £1.09 a word to print it!

SOAC
07-Mar-08, 21:17
Well spotted Northener my reply to this thread has just been copied to the correct thread. Then again they are related with how people perceive 'heritage' and identity?!

TBH
07-Mar-08, 21:32
Maybe we could change the town names aswell and have thurso as north highland 1, wick as north highland 2, etc, etc.[lol]

NickInTheNorth
07-Mar-08, 21:34
I think it is high time that Inverness got it's own City Council, and the rest of the rural highlands got a council that is allowed to get on with the job of providing services appropriate to the needs of the rural nature of the highlands.

I cannot think of a single example of government at either a local national level in which city based bodies offer any real concession to rural communities in the administration of those communities.

balto
07-Mar-08, 22:26
That is just ridiculos we are and always will be caithness no matter what the powers that be say, but as for the gaelic sign posts i really believe that gaelic should be promoted more all over scotland, my 2 girls both went to the gaelic play group when they were younger and my son arttends gaelic toodlers where the encourage them to speak and sing in gaelic.

northener
07-Mar-08, 22:46
That is just ridiculos we are and always will be caithness no matter what the powers that be say, but as for the gaelic sign posts i really believe that gaelic should be promoted more all over scotland, my 2 girls both went to the gaelic play group when they were younger and my son arttends gaelic toodlers where the encourage them to speak and sing in gaelic.

Although I am a supporter of the Gaelic language (it's an ambition of mine to learn it) I disagree with it being pushed onto communities whose background is not Gaelic.

You may as well promote Gaelic in Dumfries and the Borders - they're part of Scotland but have no history whatsoever of speaking Gaelic as an indigenous native tongue.

Why not Doric in Stornaway and Oban?
Norn in Edinburgh?

There seem to be those who believe that to be part of the Gaelic culture is the only way to be a 'true Scot'. To me, it shows a lack of understanding of the complex relationships between different parts of Scotland regarding society, politics and religion.

Like I said, the ones who are doing the pushing are the ones who blather on about Scottish Culture- and then push it aside to further their own cause.

Rheghead
07-Mar-08, 22:51
The same thing happened in Yorkshire, the old 'Ridings' (meaning third, that's why there never was a South Riding) were replaced with administrative regions.

Don't get me started on this. The same thing happened in 1972 with Cumberland, Westmorland, North Lancashire and bits of allsorts, then voila, we have the administrative area thus dubbed as Cumbria!!

Mind you, if I lived in terms of thousands of years instead of decades then I would still be moaning about the demise of Rheghed.

.......damn those flippin Geordies!!!![disgust]:)

badger
07-Mar-08, 23:12
I think it's high time we started shouting more loudly about the loss of Caithness/Sutherland identity. Council meetings that used to be held locally are now all over the place or in Inverness due to this ridiculous centralisation. Every time I have to choose Highland instead of Caithness when entering my address on a website where all the English counties are listed but not us, I protest. Not that it does any good but maybe if everyone did the message would get through. When the BBC redesigned their weather maps Wick disappeared.

Remember "Passport to Pimlico"? Forget independence for Scotland - let's go for independence for Caithness and Sutherland. We could have a passport check on the A9.

percy toboggan
07-Mar-08, 23:51
Remember "Passport to Pimlico"? Forget independence for Scotland - let's go for independence for Caithness and Sutherland. We could have a passport check on the A9.

Indeed I do remember the Pimlico film and a jolly jape it was....

Passport check north of where ? Helmsdale perhaps?...sounds like a good job for a dozen people on a 24/7 rota...can I do nights?

Seriously this is an outrage...what does 'North Highland' mean exactly.
It's complete and utter nonsense. Good luck to the resistance.

TBH
08-Mar-08, 02:53
I think it's high time we started shouting more loudly about the loss of Caithness/Sutherland identity. Council meetings that used to be held locally are now all over the place or in Inverness due to this ridiculous centralisation. Every time I have to choose Highland instead of Caithness when entering my address on a website where all the English counties are listed but not us, I protest. Not that it does any good but maybe if everyone did the message would get through. When the BBC redesigned their weather maps Wick disappeared.

Remember "Passport to Pimlico"? Forget independence for Scotland - let's go for independence for Caithness and Sutherland. We could have a passport ,heck on the A9.Wick only disapeared to be replaced by thurso.

Metalattakk
08-Mar-08, 03:17
I don't like the sound of Gallaibh.org at all.

And just how do you pronounce that Rheghead?

galluv i think, lol

Pronounced "Gollach".

Would have thought golach might have set you straight on that..? ;)

Ricco
08-Mar-08, 09:32
Resist! Fight back! Many years ago the beaurocrats changed the name of Somerset to Avon (a county that didn't originally exist, by the way) and the campaiging went on for years. What have they now got? Somerset is back on the books, my friends. It may be worth contacting someone down there to find out how they won and start the ball rolling as quick as possible.

Coggy
08-Mar-08, 09:44
Do as your told. The Government knows whats best for you, how dare you cling onto outmoded terms such as counties. You are now a citizen of Greater Europe, you will obey.

Ricco
08-Mar-08, 09:50
Do as your told. The Government knows whats best for you, how dare you cling onto outmoded terms such as counties. You are now a citizen of Greater Europe, you will obey.

LOL, Coggy. Nicely put! :lol:

northener
08-Mar-08, 10:17

Somebody beat Coggy to death with a salt herring or a stave off an 'Old Pulteney' barrel, please:D

Rheghead
08-Mar-08, 11:56
Pronounced "Gollach".

Would have thought golach might have set you straight on that..? ;)

bh is pronounced as a v

And I have since checked it in my pronunciation book as being 'galluv'

badger
08-Mar-08, 21:23
Wick only disapeared to be replaced by thurso.

I was a bit surprised by this as hadn't noticed Thurso on the map so wanted to wait until I'd seen another weather forecast to check. Nope - no sign of Thurso. Stornoway on the west but nothing north of Aberdeen on the east side. Used to find Wick being on this map very useful for telling southern friends where I was (more or less) and complained to the beeb when they redesigned the map and removed it. Which forecast are you looking at? I'm talking about the national news, not Scottish.

melt
08-Mar-08, 21:37
I was travelling down the line just the other week and quite frankly the road signs were bloody confusing. Yes by all means have the gaelic place names but put them under their proper names as we know them, not above, I was having to take my eyes off the road for longer than normal to try and work out where i was going, to me this is quite ridiculous and dangerous. If the vast majority spoke fluent gaelic then fair enough but this is not the case.