PDA

View Full Version : £10

riggerboy
06-Mar-08, 15:21
went to the mill today toget stuff called pink grip, same as no nails but a bit better, anyway the mill was £2 plus VAT a tube (large), for some reason or other went to HOMEBASE there it was on the shelf (smaller tube) £9.99, how can they get away with that, surely people arent that silly to pay that kind of money, went on to look at the silicon OMG £ 7.99, usual price about £2.30, ifit was just 1 tube might not have been so bad but i needed 5,
wood mill £11.75
homebase £49.95
think we should have a price check on here,people put in something they bought for a good price rather than paying over the odds,saving the rest of us from being ripped off, what do you ll think,

henry20
06-Mar-08, 15:25
I would only buy something out of Homebase if I was absolutely desperate for it! So much of their things are WAY dearer than you can buy locally!

saxovtr
06-Mar-08, 15:26
i got a tube of that from W & D ross next to riverside replicas for cheaper lol

silverfox57
06-Mar-08, 15:30
hi have said before on org that ,rob prices at mill ,are a lot cheaper, for everythink compared with homebase?

KCI
06-Mar-08, 15:34
Rob has always been cheaper than Homebase - that's why his business has survived.

We always buy our wood etc from Rob. It makes more sense - cheaper, and the knowledge that you are shopping locally. :)

wick-girl
06-Mar-08, 15:42
does any1 know saw mills number,looking for thresholds plates for my lobby,see if there cheaper than homebase

footie chick
06-Mar-08, 15:43
D Sutherland & Sons woodyard Wick 01955 602101

Boozeburglar
06-Mar-08, 16:01
I have a mate who used to visit every time he came down to Inverness for the 10% off day or whatever at HB.

He used to fill his car up, and would go on about all the money he saved. I just used to grin, thinking about how many time I had told he was better off going to BBS or Gillock, but he preferred to have a jaunt down the road and pay twice for the honour.

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 16:07
Homebase is a total rip-off, bought a plug there the other day and paid £1.25 for the privelidge, if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't find one anywhere that day I wouldn't have bought it. All the stuff they sell for decorating homes is over priced tat.

riggerboy
06-Mar-08, 16:14
i got a tube of that from W & D ross next to riverside replicas for cheaper lol

glad to hear that but i dont think it would have made sense to travel to thurso for it,

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 16:24
does any1 know saw mills number,looking for thresholds plates for my lobby,see if there cheaper than homebase

I have got a stainless steel threshold plate if you need one wick girl.

ABC
06-Mar-08, 16:25
I think people but items in Homebase as they assume it is going to be cheaper than your local company, but as we and many others are finding out they are not!

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 16:31
[quote=riggerboy;353042]went to the mill today toget stuff called pink grip, same as no nails but a bit better, anyway the mill was £2 plus VAT a tube (large), for some reason or other went to HOMEBASE there it was on the shelf (smaller tube) £9.99, how can they get away with that, surely people arent that silly to pay that kind of money, went on to look at the silicon OMG £ 7.99, usual price about £2.30, ifit was just 1 tube might not have been so bad but i needed 5,
wood mill £11.75
homebase £49.95
think we should have a price check on here,people put in something they bought for a good price rather than paying over the odds,saving the rest of us from being ripped off, what do you ll think,[/quote
Hi riggerboy, I used to work for a DIY supplies wholesaler and pink grip is one of many products we sold. £2-00 plus vat a tube is a very reasonble retail price ,however the sheds just charge what they want and it breaks my heart to need somthing they have got. I have a box of pink grip in the shed if you need any more.]

wick-girl
06-Mar-08, 16:32
I have got a stainless steel threshold plate if you need one wick girl. thanks for the offer but its wooden ones im looking for and i need 3 for my lobby

RIGMAN
06-Mar-08, 16:34
the only benifit from homebase is the out of hour,s time,s. if im stuck i use homebase other than that it,s the sawmill.but i really have to need the item
there and then.

rockchick
06-Mar-08, 17:20
What a change this thread is to the days before Homebase etc. opened up in Wick. After all the wailing about how local merchants were ripping us off left, right and centre, we find that (some of them, at least) weren't so bad after all!!!

dandod
06-Mar-08, 17:23
their wallpaper is very expensive aswell. i seen a wallpaper i like in homebase for our bedroom and they wasnted 17.99 a roll.checked the wallpaper shop down the street and it was 9.99 a roll.needless to say i did not buy it from homebase!!

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-08, 17:25
What a change this thread is to the days before Homebase etc. opened up in Wick. After all the wailing about how local merchants were ripping us off left, right and centre, we find that (some of them, at least) weren't so bad after all!!!

You will never acheive a good level of service in the sheds as you get from your local independant. and the ones I have been to in Wick make it a pleasure and not a chore doing business with them.

henry20
06-Mar-08, 17:25
Yes, Rockchick it is so refreshing to hear positive talk of local business'.

I don't actually think that many local firms do overcharge. You win some and lose some no matter where you shop.

Just homebase seem to be extortionately priced in comparison.

scorrie
06-Mar-08, 18:16
Not long after Homebase opened, I posted here that they were damned expensive. I got barked down and accused of owning a local business, being negative about the wonderful new shops etc etc.

They are a total last resort, emergency only option for me. Anyone who thinks that savings on Spend and Save cards and 10% days are not already factored into the prices must have heads that button up the back!!

SOAC
07-Mar-08, 01:14
Homebase sells 'lifestyle' and DIY.

The only time tradesmen use the place is when it is handy or out of hours - if ever. It serves a completely different sort of customer - and this is where it excells - its Sunday kicking my heals, in the area anyway and really need that little widget/something to brighten up the garden/can of white emulsion - bang they have you in the door and before you know it, you have came out with something completely different from what you went in for. A bit like TESCO in many ways.......

Its great that it is there and it is worth a browse.

riggerboy
07-Mar-08, 11:09
Pricing in store
In store price promise - Never Beaten On Price!

Prices in our stores will never be beaten on price! If you find any comparable product cheaper at another store, we will match the price and refund you 10% of the difference**.

All we ask is that you raise your claim within 14 days of purchase.
Your claim must be supported by a written quotation from the national retailer and/or by a current published price list.
The comparison will be made against the actual Homebase store price including any discounts or offers.
Where applicable a Homebase proof of purchase (receipt) is required.
The product(s) must be comparable in style, quality and structure.
Excludes all online retailers.
Please ask a member of our in store staff for full details.

Highland Laddie
07-Mar-08, 14:38
Not long after Homebase opened, I posted here that they were damned expensive. I got barked down and accused of owning a local business, being negative about the wonderful new shops etc etc.

They are a total last resort, emergency only option for me. Anyone who thinks that savings on Spend and Save cards and 10% days are not already factored into the prices must have heads that button up the back!!

Simple, let your feet do the talking, you don't like it, easy, don't go there.