PDA

View Full Version : Let's calm things down

bekisman
06-Mar-08, 12:12
Why all the perceived nastiness? Don't know if it's the time of year, but there seems quite a bit of bickering going on, PM's flying, with folk being suspended here and there - fair enough, have a bit of lively debate, low-level mickey taking, but seems it sometimes escalates into more personal attacks..
Me? I give what I get and hopefully do not instigate things..

Bottom line; this is a general forum, not a dog fighting arena!

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 12:41
Why all the perceived nastiness? Don't know if it's the time of year, but there seems quite a bit of bickering going on, PM's flying, with folk being suspended here and there - fair enough, have a bit of lively debate, low-level mickey taking, but seems it sometimes escalates into more personal attacks..

Totally and utterly agree with you on this one bekisman. As you says its a "General Forum" Some people are taking things far too personally on here. If anyone has anything to say, do it in the proper manner. Some people here are lowering there standers and spoiling it for others. Now i dont know all the in's and out's, im sure a few people have a right to say what they want, but there is a border line.

pat
06-Mar-08, 12:42
What is happening here - this site is becoming so petty and childish it is beginning to be like an old fashioned play ground - my mums a better cook than yours, my brother can beat yours.
Time to stop and take a look at your postings.

teddybear1873
06-Mar-08, 12:45
What is happening here - this site is becoming so petty and childish it is beginning to be like an old fashioned play ground - my mums a better cook than yours, my brother can beat yours.
Time to stop and take a look at your postings.

Again, i agree with pat on this. Last night i made a comment on a thread and someone replied and mentioned about my spelling. Like, whats that all about? Who cares about spelling. Were here to have fun and have a good debate, not to extract the urine.

angela5
06-Mar-08, 12:53
Again, i agree with pat on this. Last night i made a comment on a thread and someone replied and mentioned about my spelling. Like, whats that all about? Who cares about spelling. Were here to have fun and have a good debate, not to extract the urine.

The spell checkers are out in force again![lol]

Tighsonas4
06-Mar-08, 13:10
hi in view of all this.
have no axe to grind with anyone but would make my own comment
many on here have been more than friendly and most helpful into the bargain controversity i avoid like the plague
thanks and regards to all my friends tony

Highland Laddie
06-Mar-08, 13:18

I try to use the spell checker when typing difficult words, but seldom use it for everyday words, which i also sometimes get wrong, so what BITE ME

TBH
06-Mar-08, 13:25
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a heated debate but sometimes things get out of hand. Some people just take it way to seriously as if to say their opinion is the only one that matters and god help those that disagree.

balto
06-Mar-08, 13:26
Again, i agree with pat on this. Last night i made a comment on a thread and someone replied and mentioned about my spelling. Like, whats that all about? Who cares about spelling. Were here to have fun and have a good debate, not to extract the urine.i to have had this done to me, who really cares if a word if spelt wrong i certainly dont.

sweetpea
06-Mar-08, 13:53
Personalities and amateur psychologists cause the friction. It's easy to build up a picture of what you think somone is like by their posts but not a very effective guage, me thinks.
As for spelling and grammar, who cares, as long as you know what's meant. Having said that I remember spelling being a big thing at school as was handwriting, not so important nowadays. I sometimes make mistakes if I'm typing too fast.
There are plenty of forums out there where you can say anything you like and slag people as much as you like without causing offence, doesn't seem to be the style on here, I find this place to be more subdued and sadly sometimes I sensor my opinions to suit at times, but I like the localness (if that's a word) of the org.
What I would say to anyone who has been picked on is to just ignore it completely, you owe these people nothing, so let it go over your head!

silverfox57
06-Mar-08, 13:54
hi in view of all this.
have no axe to grind with anyone but would make my own comment
many on here have been more than friendly and most helpful into the bargain controversity i avoid like the plague
thanks and regards to all my friends tony
I total agree with tighsonas,we all have the option to post,and i have the same option ,not to read a thread if i think it is rubbish,as dose all on org.the is plenty of controversity in the world, make peace not war:lol:

Billy Boy
06-Mar-08, 16:10
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a heated debate but sometimes things get out of hand. Some people just take it way to seriously as if to say their opinion is the only one that matters and god help those that disagree.

And what do you do, when you disagree with someone! of and start a thread saying how sorry your not, right out of the playground that one lol [lol]

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 17:07
Well I was thinking this too.....but debates are acceptable...just not nastiness :) I like the community on here and I love the people!

cd1977
06-Mar-08, 17:19
I don't post or view very often, however.....

It is fairly easy if you scan the threads to spot the troublemakers & rabble rousers.

Best thing being not to accept the bait and rise above it.

balto
06-Mar-08, 17:24
I don't post or view very often, however.....

It is fairly easy if you scan the threads to spot the troublemakers & rabble rousers.

Best thing being not to accept the bait and rise above it.must admit over the weekend i was daft enough to take the bait that was on offer and boy did i bite but think i have learnt my lesson

rob16d
06-Mar-08, 17:45
Yeah..there have been one or two people that have intentionally ticked me off!! Some people just don't understand forum etiquette!

TBH
06-Mar-08, 23:58
And what do you do, when you disagree with someone! of and start a thread saying how sorry your not, right out of the playground that one lol [lol]Actually billyboy the thread I started was tongue in cheek aimed at all the apology threads and their needlessness. I thought it would have been obvious but instead it gave you a centre parting.[lol]

Cattach
07-Mar-08, 10:13

If it was just spelling there would be no problem but some postings are getting out of hand. Things are said on here that if they were said outside it would be a matter for the courts. Not suggesting your posts are like that.

Regarding spelling, I guess having a go at spelling or grammar is bit of harmless fun and not anything like the vitriol poured out by some posters.

Most of us hide behind a username but that should not allow us to insultr others or defame them.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 10:14
Och,,....I guess we'll just have to put up with it :(

A_Usher
07-Mar-08, 10:29
The problem with forum posts is that its difficult to know in some cases the tone of how something has been written, as obviously with verbal communication you can tell the tone and pitch, where as forum posts are harder.

As for spelling and grammar, i dont read much into it, i have suffered from dyslexia for many years and when i am in a hurry my fingers type faster than my brain, and knowing this i dont tend to judge spelling too much in a post.

Cattach
07-Mar-08, 10:34
The problem with forum posts is that its difficult to know in some cases the tone of how something has been written, as obviously with verbal communication you can tell the tone and pitch, where as forum posts are harder.

As for spelling and grammar, i dont read much into it, i have suffered from dyslexia for many years and when i am in a hurry my fingers type faster than my brain, and knowing this i dont tend to judge spelling too much in a post.

You are partly correct in this but some posts leave one with no doubt - they are insulting uninformed, untrue and sometimes libellous (sp?!).

northener
07-Mar-08, 10:44
There's a big difference between disagreeing vehemently with someone and getting personal. Unfortunately, peoples' level of tolerance vary on this subject.

There are some posters on forums who are very easily offended, sometimes because they don't actually read (or understand) what the other person said, sometimes it's because of their own personal unbending beliefs and sometimes it is simply because they can't handle anyone disagreeing with them.

I don't believe that this forum is deteriorating, I still disagree with threads being 'disappeared' without an explanation being posted but to be honest, apart from the odd insult hurler (who seem to get themselves removed anyway), it seems fine to me.

There is more than a few people on here who I think are way off the mark on some subjects, but I still enjoy 'lively discussion' ;) with them.
Overall I find that even the ones who I disagree with most will always have something interesting to say.

But, at the end of the day, nobody forces us to become involved in threads.......

A_Usher
07-Mar-08, 10:45
You are partly correct in this but some posts leave one with no doubt - they are insulting uninformed, untrue and sometimes libellous (sp?!).

Yes, your right and i am not saying that isnt the case is some posts, what people should remember is that forum post can now be used in legal cases, and under the data protection act you are entitled to request from a forum owner all post that implicates or implies you.

Two years back someone posted libelous comments about a patient i had privately and the patient took the individual to court, and part of that involved a forum owner being requested to forward on post etc.

So you should be careful what you say, and just because you post under a name does not stop your IP address from being located etc. This is one of the reasons i always post in forums under my actual name, as i will take responsibility for what i write and be open and honest about it.

I also own three commercial forums which are moderated under that bases and are archived every two weeks etc.

TBH
07-Mar-08, 11:14
If it was just spelling there would be no problem but some postings are getting out of hand. Things are said on here that if they were said outside it would be a matter for the courts. Not suggesting your posts are like that.

Regarding spelling, I guess having a go at spelling or grammar is bit of harmless fun and not anything like the vitriol poured out by some posters.

Most of us hide behind a username but that should not allow us to insultr others or defame them.I can't say that I have seen anything inflamatory on here in a long while and it is usually nipped in the bud by the moderators.

Venture
07-Mar-08, 11:21
I notice Justine and Router both have suspended under their names. What's that all about.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Mar-08, 11:26

Really? No worse than normal. Care to give us some examples, please? Thanks.

dessie
07-Mar-08, 11:30
oh goodness me what did i miss over the weekend.in here.it must have been hot and debated!!!!![disgust]

bekisman
07-Mar-08, 11:32
See #5 above for an idea

squidge
07-Mar-08, 11:32
I think that people should remember to treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves. If we remember to challenge the post and not the poster, to be forceful but polite then hey presto -Calmness reigns. Hidden agendas are not helpful though and sometimes they crop up, also remember guys that its a message forum and only that. Taking things personally never helps. Dont swear, dont insult others and dont assume that others can read the tone of your message.

Happy happy joy joy:Razz

TBH
07-Mar-08, 11:38
See #5 above for an ideaSo people get suspended, that is how we know the moderators are doing their jobs.

Angela
07-Mar-08, 11:40
I think that people should remember to treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves. If we remember to challenge the post and not the poster, to be forceful but polite then hey presto -Calmness reigns. Hidden agendas are not helpful though and sometimes they crop up, also remember guys that its a message forum and only that. Taking things personally never helps. Dont swear, dont insult others and dont assume that others can read the tone of your message.

Well said squidge -and welcome back! :D :D

TBH
07-Mar-08, 11:40

Happy happy joy joy:RazzI take it you watch ren & stimpy.[lol]

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 11:43
Justine and router are suspended??? :( Why?

Lolabelle
07-Mar-08, 12:12
Justine and router are suspended??? :( Why?
Yeah, what is going on around here?
The org used to be such a great place, but is getting to be a spitefull clique, that just hammers anyone who puts a foot out of line, or heaven forbid, misspells something.
(And I don't know if I've spelt "misspells" correctly or not, and I don't care!)
I'm sick of looking at something and then having a panic to go back and edit it for fear of getting berated because of a simple spelling MISTAKE, not a murder, or a viscious attack on someone, but spelling???
Come on guys, grow up, we used to have a fun and interesting org. Now instead of Orgers, we seem to have a some Ogres!

Cattach
07-Mar-08, 13:05
I can't say that I have seen anything inflamatory on here in a long while and it is usually nipped in the bud by the moderators.

Just last week a thread was closed due to contend - highly dubious content. Those are few and far between but when they occur they can be distressing to the honest indiduals attack without good reason or evidence.

rob16d
07-Mar-08, 13:19
Hmmmmm........I think most people just want to get along...and goss about local stuff!

Tighsonas4
07-Mar-08, 13:34
this may well be the case but on a different note i have had pms from abroad and one especially says she checks the forums daily just to keep in touch with home on a wider spectrum it is them i had in mind as for myself it all goes over my head lets all be friends my opinions need upset nobody nor my spelling regards to one and all tony

TBH
07-Mar-08, 13:48
Just last week a thread was closed due to contend - highly dubious content. Those are few and far between but when they occur they can be distressing to the honest indiduals attack without good reason or evidence.These things happen but what I am trying to say is that for the most part the mod team are pretty good at removing these threads before they cause too much damage. It is not a problem distinct to C.org as all forums have this problem from time to time but a good moderation team should and will be on top of any problems pretty quickly.

scorrie
07-Mar-08, 14:45
There has been a fair bit of bickering on this forum but I don't think it is as bad as some I have seen. I used to use the BBC Horse Racing forum and it was much worse, with poor moderation and people getting away with swearing, blatant racist remarks and on one occasion a guy who had posted saying that he was giving up gambling, because it was making him feel suicidal, was offered a noose and told to "get on with it"

Compared to that, most of what goes on here is pretty petty and childish and usually passes quickly. Recently we have seen public apologies over nothing and we have even had posts talking about potential legal action. The next thing you know the same person(s) are chatting away as happy as before and even exchanging warm messages with users who they seemed to be locking horns with at every other turn previously.

Much of what is discussed here does not engage me at all but we are all different in age, belief, attitude, interests and personality. I have had my share of sparring with other users over the years I have been here but I only know who 3 orgers are in real life and, as far as I am concerned, anything I say is aimed at the online persona and not the person themselves. Perhaps if some users know other orgers in real life, it might lead to comments becoming more personal and greater friction being caused.

As I have said before, there is nobody on my ignore list and nobody on my buddy list. I rarely get or send PM's but I know that other users do and that there are undercurrents that I am not privy to. You could argue either way on whether that makes for a better or worse forum, personally speaking I think that it creates factions and stifles frankness and objectivity.

I dare say I will float in and out as the mood takes me. I know where the door is if I feel otherwise.

balto
07-Mar-08, 14:49
It is just like being a child again, you are a logger heads with another member one day but it seems to be forgotten about the next, the same as kids who fall out with their friends, only to be best buddys againt the next day.

Margaret M.
07-Mar-08, 14:59
I ditto what Scorrie said, except for the Horse Racing forum, I've never been there. Debate and bickering can be fun but not the personal insults and name calling.

justine
07-Mar-08, 15:12
am in agreence with all...Personal insultsto wind people up is wrong, but hey,it never last....glad to be part of the org once again.....ive cooled down and am ready to keep my cool...

silverfox57
07-Mar-08, 15:15
[quote=scorrie;353826]There has been a fair bit of bickering on this forum but I don't think it is as bad as some I have seen. I used to use the BBC Horse Racing forum and it was much worse, with poor moderation and people getting away with swearing, blatant racist remarks and on one occasion a guy who had posted saying that he was giving up gambling, because it was making him feel suicidal, was offered a noose and told to "get on with it"

Compared to that, most of what goes on here is pretty petty and childish and usually passes quickly. Recently we have seen public apologies over nothing and we have even had posts talking about potential legal action. The next thing you know the same person(s) are chatting away as happy as before and even exchanging warm messages with users who they seemed to be locking horns with at every other turn previously.

Much of what is discussed here does not engage me at all but we are all different in age, belief, attitude, interests and personality. I have had my share of sparring with other users over the years I have been here but I only know who 3 orgers are in real life and, as far as I am concerned, anything I say is aimed at the online persona and not the person themselves. Perhaps if some users know other orgers in real life, it might lead to comments becoming more personal and greater friction being caused.

As I have said before, there is nobody on my ignore list and nobody on my buddy list. I rarely get or send PM's but I know that other users do and that there are undercurrents that I am not privy to. You could argue either way on whether that makes for a better or worse forum, personally speaking I think that it creates factions and stifles frankness and objectivity.

I dare say I will float in and out as the mood takes me. I know where the door is if I feel otherwise.[/quote I total agree with your post,

trix
07-Mar-08, 19:54
peace be on us all - blessed be ;)

Big hughie
07-Mar-08, 19:57
Calm down ?? why ?? I miss Gleeber, Fred ,Peter MacDonald etc
Beeg Hugheeeeeee
ps Dont miss landmarker though

telfordstar
07-Mar-08, 20:30

This happend to me when i first started posting a few folk had a right go about it but the some folk stuck up for it but must admit i try and take care noe so i dont upset anyone.

balto
07-Mar-08, 21:45
i have noticed on here that most other members stick up for each other but there is the few that are here just to wind everyone else up, like they are called obstacle's in the path of life.

Moi x
08-Mar-08, 03:58
Calm down ?? why ?? I miss Gleeber, Fred ,Peter MacDonald etc
Beeg Hugheeeeeee
ps Dont miss landmarker thoughHey, if you want to see Peter MacDonald, you could do worse than look in a mirror. He looks just like you. :lol:

Gleeber and fred I miss, but it's kinda hard to miss Peter when he's staring me in the face. :lol:

Moi x

Boozeburglar
08-Mar-08, 06:19
ps Dont miss landmarker though

U don't have to, he is still here!

Alice in Blunderland
08-Mar-08, 06:48

Thats exactly what I thought when I read this, landmarker is still around . :eek:

Big hughie
08-Mar-08, 09:33
Nah your a bit off the mark there Im afraid many things similar but not all eg He was in Edinburgh the last weeks whilst Ive never been south of Dunbeath
Sorry folks
Beeg Hugheeeeee

Moi x
08-Mar-08, 15:36
I know identical twins share many characteristics but you and Peter have identical political opinions, identical writing styles and identical ways of dismissing opinions you dislike.

And you speak of us not being able to trust politicians. :roll:

Where is gleeber and who is landmarker?

Moi x

Big hughie
08-Mar-08, 18:54
Style maybe the same but stature isnt not by 4-5 inches and 2 stones in weight or whereabouts, Opinions if you read closely are not the same either
Peter MacDonalds views on the Highland Clearances Scottish history and Dounreay etc are/were not the same as mine as far as I can tell but you are entitled to your thoughts
Beeg Hughee

ExoticQueen
08-Mar-08, 19:07
i must admit that i can get carried away with my comments am sorry if i got anyone annoyed,in future i will watch what am saying if i annoyed anyone sorry wont do it again just would like to be friends with everyone :Razz:lol:xx

scorrie
08-Mar-08, 19:31

If he is still here, he must be operating as "Landmarker Lite" these days. I am sure that the "Full Fat Landmarker" would have had quite a bit more to say about the Last Orders program.

Perhaps there are more Northern Lorry Drivers than we know about ;)

Moi x
15-Mar-08, 03:19
Style maybe the same but stature isnt not by 4-5 inches and 2 stones in weight or whereabouts, Opinions if you read closely are not the same either
Peter MacDonalds views on the Highland Clearances Scottish history and Dounreay etc are/were not the same as mine as far as I can tell but you are entitled to your thoughts
Beeg HugheeYou'll have to do better than that Peter. My mum told me what you were up to. :lol:

Moi x

rob16d
15-Mar-08, 10:03
This is going off topic...but I love it!

POUNDIT
15-Mar-08, 16:01
yeah have to agree there is far too much bickering and slagging especially when it comes down to someones business.People are very interested in who is closing down i feel sorry for the businesses because its easy for an enemy or rival to be sitting here slagging off your business for the fun of it.Take everything with a pinch of salt.If your interested i something or want to try something just go ahead.Nothing ventured,nothing gained.:D