PDA

View Full Version : I officially hate computers

porshiepoo
06-Mar-08, 12:01
I have a Siemens laptop running XP and when I started it up today I got this message along with a lovely blank screen
Windows could not be started as the System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt. :eek:
I went on to Microsoft and it mentioned putting in the recovery disk and selecting repair, so I went into the BIOS, got it to run straight from the CD drive and put the disk in. Now the CD drive won't work with this CD/DVD. I think I may have a problem with the CD/DVD drive. I put another disk in for drivers and utilities just to see what happened and although I didn't get a screen message the DVD drive did actually run the disk - not the one I need to use though.
So now what do I do? If the DVD drive is knackered and I have to replace it, can I do that before fixing this windows problem? (I'm kinda guessing that'll be a no no) lol.
Is there anyway I can get into the DOS to give it instructions that may repair it some other way?

Cheers

octane
06-Mar-08, 12:40
Have you installed updated drivers, programs or deleted anything before this happened?

Just double checked on a fujitsu laptop i have here, so as soon as you start the laptop up keep tapping the escape key until the menu Ive shown pops up

See if you can boot into safe mode from here and undo any changes you made that caused this to happen

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Feesty/MENUSmall.jpg

This menu isnt in the bios (just to answer that question)

porshiepoo
06-Mar-08, 16:41
F8 takes me into the BIOS, is that where I'll find it?
F12 asks me if I want to start from hard drive or disk.

octane
06-Mar-08, 17:28
My posts been edited above pal, should hopefully work this time :D

porshiepoo
06-Mar-08, 17:58
It doesn't seem to work!
I start it up and keep pressing the esc key and it just takes me to a blank page with a flashing - and then a broken white line appears at the bottom telling me about the error I 1st reported.

Am i done for?:(

Mr_Me19
07-Mar-08, 08:36
Unfortunately it is the same key to boot into safe mode for windows as it is to boot into your bios. So you will have to be watching carefully and as soon as the BIOS information vanishes start tapping F8 again.

porshiepoo
07-Mar-08, 08:50
Well, I kept tapping F8 and yay! the menu I needed popped up so I clicked on the command required and........................nothing! :( Same old error code comes up with the broken white line on the bottom. So I went back and tried all the other options too - nothing! Same error problem.

For some reason I can't get it to boot the recovery disk either. If I put the drivers disk in, it whirs away as though it's working but nothing appears on screen but when I put the recovery disk in it starts to whir, then stops, starts, stops and then eventually goes to the broken white line and the error message underneath.

Knackered isn't it?????????????? :( I hope it's fixable cos I really need it for my uni course.

octane
07-Mar-08, 10:13
Its no knackered pal, It'll soon have a fresh start in life again

Mr_Me19
07-Mar-08, 12:36
First of try putting in the disk you used to install XP. Use the recovery console on there to try and repair the installation. If that doesnt work then I would say the best option is to get a copy of the file from someone else, and then replace it in windows using a second operating system. A linux distro would be best as you can use a live disk for that (which means it puts nothing on your computer).