PDA

View Full Version : GP's and Frozen Peas

karia
04-Mar-08, 12:29
Sainsbury's in Manchester launched the first supermarket GP service yesterday.

Patients will now be able to see a GP in the evenings and on Saturdays by booking an appointment via their own surgery then popping down the shops.

Tesco and Asda have stated that they are definitely not interested in following suit.

So...Is it a good example of multi tasking in a busy world or a crackpot scheme that won't catch on?

Penelope Pitstop
04-Mar-08, 13:21
Mmmmm..........don't fancy that idea myself......bit of a treck to Manchester anyway........mind you it may still work out quicker than waiting for an appointment here [lol] lol

Highland Laddie
04-Mar-08, 13:43
i can see during the next round of flu, everyone traipsing round to Sainsburys to see the GP,
but alas the shop is now shut,
because all the staff are at home in bed with flu.

justine
04-Mar-08, 13:52
i noticed this last wek and thinks its mad..But if it could help alieviate the waiting problems then it can only be for the good...:)

Although my first thoughts were "Doc, can you recommmend a good idea for a health shopping list while i am hear sprug to mind....;)

TBH
04-Mar-08, 14:31
Community life is being destroyed with idiotic ideas like this, where will it all end?[disgust]

karia
04-Mar-08, 14:33
The shopping list could read like this:

Veg for blanching
Boils need lancing
Pickled onions
Ouch..me bunions
Daz for whites
Cream for bites
Bread and Rolls
Check out those moles
Strawberry cakes and
some bodily aches
Something yummy...
...Dodgy tummy!:(

Shabbychic
04-Mar-08, 15:56
I don't know about GPs but I wouldn't mind a supermarket with a dentist. Now that is something we could really do with up here.

xx_chickie
04-Mar-08, 16:01
Is there anything a major supermarket chain (in this case Sainsburys) thinks they can't achieve?! I still remember being shocked seeing an opticians in a Tescos years ago! :eek:

scorrie
04-Mar-08, 16:14
Is there anything a major supermarket chain (in this case Sainsburys) thinks they can't achieve?! I still remember being shocked seeing an opticians in a Tescos years ago! :eek:

Aye, the first Hypermarket Brothel must surely be on the horizon!!

Buy one, get one free ;)

xx_chickie
04-Mar-08, 16:15
Aye, the first Hypermarket Brothel must surely be on the horizon!!

Buy one, get one free ;)

:lol: What is the world coming to?!

justine
04-Mar-08, 16:20
:lol: What is the world coming to?!

maybe they will open a section for deep thinkers that way we will all know what the world is coming to....

How many sections could be put into one supermarket.....:eek:

Lucy
04-Mar-08, 17:08
Apart from being the most idiotic idea i would be more worried about the confidentially/safety factor. if the doctor prescribed you some medicine without having access to your medical records he/she may give you something that reacts badly with current medication. on the other hand if they had access to your notes how can they be held in a secure place within a supermarket!!!. In GP surgeries all the notes are locked away securely and only those with proper clearance and authority can read them.

Boozeburglar
04-Mar-08, 17:12
Based on my recollection, Regent Road Sainsburys was a very popular pick up joint; perhaps an STD clinic would be appropo?

A_Usher
04-Mar-08, 18:05
Apart from being the most idiotic idea i would be more worried about the confidentially/safety factor. if the doctor prescribed you some medicine without having access to your medical records he/she may give you something that reacts badly with current medication. on the other hand if they had access to your notes how can they be held in a secure place within a supermarket!!!. In GP surgeries all the notes are locked away securely and only those with proper clearance and authority can read them.

You would think so, however many locums prescribe without knowing your records, similarly in out of hours centres medicine is prescribed without knowing your clinical history.

If the NHS and government have their own way there will be a central database that can be accessed when you are at another surgery, attending as a temporary residents, hospital etc. When i set up the IT at our surgery i made sure the clinical system was separate from our mail and webs server.

You would be surprised at just how much access the NHS has on clinical systems etc.

However there is a case for drop in centers for healthy living advice, blood pressure checks etc. i am not convinced a supermarket is the way forward and we have no intentions of offering Natasha's GP service in either the Co Op or tescos before anyone asks.

karia
04-Mar-08, 18:16
In store vasectomies performed by our specially qualified butchers dept.
...loyalty card points thrown in!;):lol:

The Angel Of Death
05-Mar-08, 11:13
It does kind of make sence i for one would like to see doctors dentists and banks open for longer or at the very least a few nightas a week open till 8 and a half day sat as well there is nothing worse than havine to argue and fight with work because you got an appointment during work hours (because there not open at other times) its almost at the stage where your not allowed to be ill or have something wrong with you !!!

A_Usher
05-Mar-08, 11:54
It does kind of make sence i for one would like to see doctors dentists and banks open for longer or at the very least a few nightas a week open till 8 and a half day sat as well there is nothing worse than havine to argue and fight with work because you got an appointment during work hours (because there not open at other times) its almost at the stage where your not allowed to be ill or have something wrong with you !!!

Yes there is a case for it, equally from my own point of view as a partner in the surgery here, there is not enough resources to make it happen, especially in small practices such as ours, as their is no money in the budget for extra staff to keep the premises open, or to pay a GP for longer hours etc. I would also imagine getting staff to work on to later times may be difficult for many practices. The interesting thing is that several surgeries tried extended hours and weekend mornings and stopped this service due to lack of use from the public.

If my wife takes ill, which touch wood barely every happens,she doesn't even have the luxury of going to see a GP as there is no one to cover the practice. I cant see extended hours happening, to be honest. However i think their is a case for making perhaps a central out of hours centre open for regular appointments also and not just emergencies, but remember NHS 24 is their also to provide advice, i know its not ideal in many respects but it is there.

What we are looking to do at Dunbeath is to have a drop in afternoon, on a Friday, where you can come for an unscheduled visit, and also see maybe the practice nurse, staff or myself for anything we offer.

I also want to get some local producers of veg and fruit involved to allow people to sample organic local produce, and dietary advice etc, that way we can get people on healthy lifestyles and possible get some revenue for local producers etc. As of yet we have seen little interest in this, and little interest in our proposed patient participation scheme, which for us is frustrating as we want the community to tell us what they want, so we can see if we can tailor the practice to needs, we are open to all ideas...

Andrew.

The Angel Of Death
05-Mar-08, 12:03
I know exactly where your coming from its always the little people / shops etc thats going to suffer its a fact that people want this feature but ultimatly its the providing of it and making sure that its not going to impact on the "normal" hours thats always going to be the problem

For example i know that if my doctors or bank etc was open to 8 a few nights of the week or a half day on a sat i would use this feature but then again i can only speak for myself but as an example when i was last in the bank for a meeting they advised that it was one of there top questions and suggestions to stay open longer or a half day sat

router
05-Mar-08, 22:28
if you think about the amount of space a supermarket takes up they could have all sorts in there,,,,,,all in their own section tarot readers,spiritualsts astral planing for beginners even all the nutters would have someone to get access to ...the list is endless,the problem is finding the practioners,after all they are all so busy skinning the public in other ways.....................[lol]