PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels in Caithness?

NickInTheNorth
03-Mar-08, 22:26
Are there any?

My daughters doing a project for school and wants to know if there are squirrels anywhere in Caithness, and if there are is there anywhere fairly easy to see them.

Any info gratefully received.

Buttercup
03-Mar-08, 22:30
Sorry Nick, have never heard of squirrels an Caithness.

chaz
03-Mar-08, 22:32
Iv never seen any and we have almost every creature about ours, but im not sure:confused

twiglet
03-Mar-08, 22:44
Have never seen any

Thumper
03-Mar-08, 22:45
You dont get squirrels this far north x

George Brims
03-Mar-08, 22:48
I grew up (part of the way anyway!) on a farm that had some old style birch/hazel/aspen woodland on it, and never saw a squirrel. I know there are red squirrels in Inverness (right behind my mother-in-law's house) but I've never seen one further North. Perhaps it would be a good idea to introduce some red squirrels (and none of those nasty little grey ones).

NickInTheNorth
03-Mar-08, 22:53
Thanks for all the input so far folks, please feel free to add any other comments. I have to say I didn't think there were any up here.

However I have just sent an email to the Forestry Commission about this as their is a "squirrel officer" with responsibility for amongst other areas Caithness & Sutherland.

So it will be interesting to see what she has to say.

Buttercup
03-Mar-08, 22:58
Thanks for all the input so far folks, please feel free to add any other comments. I have to say I didn't think there were any up here.

However I have just sent an email to the Forestry Commission about this as their is a "squirrel officer" with responsibility for amongst other areas Caithness & Sutherland.

So it will be interesting to see what she has to say.

Let us know how you get on Nick.

justine
03-Mar-08, 23:10
Never seen one..But can give a little advice on how to see if there any in the area...
Little story..
school, surrounded by trees,,,I put a couple of M & M's out on the top of the wall, kept checking every day when i picked the kids up...Day 3 nuts gone..
Everyday for three weeks...One day put out the nuts and within 3-4 min down came a squirrel ran along the wall, took the nuts and disappeared in to tree...
Wont work up here but i do know they love M & M peanuts....:lol::)

r.rackstraw
03-Mar-08, 23:55
There used to be red squirrels at Berriedale, Dunbeath and Tongue but I don't know of any recent records.
Does anyone know?

Geo
04-Mar-08, 13:10
There's only one squirrel in Caithness but you never see it. It's a very Secret Squirrel.

I hope someone else is as old as me. :)

Highland Laddie
04-Mar-08, 13:47
There's only one squirrel in Caithness but you never see it. It's a very Secret Squirrel.

I hope someone else is as old as me. :)

Afraid i remember SS, yes :~(

justine
04-Mar-08, 13:49
Afraid i remember SS, yes :~(

and for us that dont remember or know of ss any enlightenment:D

Tilter
04-Mar-08, 14:48
I grew up (part of the way anyway!) on a farm that had some old style birch/hazel/aspen woodland on it, and never saw a squirrel. I know there are red squirrels in Inverness (right behind my mother-in-law's house) but I've never seen one further North. Perhaps it would be a good idea to introduce some red squirrels (and none of those nasty little grey ones).

I've walked through deciduous woodland here for years and have never seen any. But what a great idea introducing the reds would be. Since they're talking of bringing back wolves and beavers elsewhere. Is it just too cold for squirrels here or are the summers too short to get fat/lay down their larders for the winter?

Highland Laddie
04-Mar-08, 15:03
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/mysophalees/ss1.jpg He was the number 1 special agent http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/mysophalees/ss2.jpg

justine
04-Mar-08, 15:55
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/mysophalees/ss1.jpg He was the number 1 special agent http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/mysophalees/ss2.jpg

ok got it..remember it aswell.showing my age i am...

the charlatans
04-Mar-08, 15:59
I think Mary Legg the countryside ranger would know, vaguely remember her saying one way or the other about them.

However, big clue - not many trees = not many squirrels.

Loved the Secret Squirrel.