PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarism

Sporran
01-Mar-08, 21:16
If I post a poem of some other author's work, I always mention that author's name. If there was no mention of the author's name at the source of where the poem was found, then I would post that the poem was "By anonymous" or "Author unknown". If I post a poem without any of the aforementioned, then it means I wrote the poem myself. Once in a while, I come across a poem on our Literature Forum that I discover has been copied from somewhere else. Other people assume that it was written by the person who posted it, and praise that poster for their effort. I don't think it's fair to let other people assume you wrote something which you did not. It's an act of plagiarism, whether you like it or not!

unicorn
01-Mar-08, 21:18
very true sporran, people should be given credit and be recognised for their work.

Bobinovich
01-Mar-08, 21:39
Well said Sporran and actually there is a specific Org rule which states...

Content From Other Web Sites
We have no problem with users pasting in passages from other web sites. We would prefer that anything posted in this manner comes with a link to the original or at the very least, gives credit where it is due. We will not tolerate people claiming to have written the piece when they have not. Users will find that it is easy to be caught out with this practice and it can be very embarrasing.

Plagiarism without proper credit carries is 1 Infraction point for 3 months.

Therefore any pieces posted wthout due credit, and subsequently discovered to be so, should be reported by the appropriate method.

Kenn
01-Mar-08, 22:03
Could be in breech of copyright too if you fail to acknowledge the author.

gillian17
01-Mar-08, 22:45
The easiest way to detect plagiarism is spelling mistakes, as in embarrasing and breech.

Anne x
02-Mar-08, 01:21
Mums Day

To be alone is a pain we all really suffer pain!!
It does come and it does go
to loose a love we never show
but to loose a family member
we do not suffer alone!!

Life can be a gift to us
we to cherish and to trust
sons and daughters
one and all so today
give your love on mothers day

As we dont know whats ahead
we look into the unknown ahead
be we know you are here
guiding us as always you did

We will always somehow stray
from your Ideals of us here
in the end your within us
and with love you are in us

we are not the perfect lot
you took us on what a lot !!
but you won in the end
you gave your love and
that was the lot !!

Written By
with Love
Ax

trinkie
02-Mar-08, 08:25
Good point Sporran, and well worth remembering .

I do try to give the names of the Poets - but if I have forgotten then please bring it to my notice.
As for spekking mistools - slap my knuckles please as I have difficulty with editing, and I make hundreds of errors in my enthusiasm. I dont think the folk here really wish to mislead.

I have quickly gone over my recent ones and they appear to be okay. If anyone is in any doubt as to the author, then just ask and this can be rectified.

I just wish more people would join in, I fear this page will soon disappear.

Good work Sporran !
Trinkie

Angela
02-Mar-08, 12:43
I know I'm not the prefect mum,
Not quite up to the ideal.
Maybe not even a 'good enough' one?
Well, sometimes that's how I feel.

But then today I think again,
I love all my children dearly.
They're all grown up to be my friends
I've not done badly, clearly!

Each mum is special in her way
That's what we celebrate.
To all you mums here on the Org
I hope your day's just great! :D

By Angela (honest guv, it's all my own work, no cheating! ;))

Lavenderblue2
02-Mar-08, 19:36
Great poem Angela - I tried to give you rep points but as usual I was told to spread them about...? I've tried so often but to no avail.:confused

I agree with you Sporran - like Trinkie, who is a star, I always try to remember to put the author's name or anonymous if that be the case - I would never knowingly try and pass off a poem as my own...
I enjoy poetry but sadly I'm not very good at writing it - sharing the odd find is my way of contributing to the Lit page.

Long live the Lit Page - I think we are a happy wee band.

LB

Lavenderblue2
02-Mar-08, 21:23
Oh dear, it seems I am the guilty party! I have submitted an apology at the end of the offending poem.

LB :~(

Anne x
02-Mar-08, 22:59
Lavenderblue

Not at all as Trinkie says anyone who contributes is great we dont want this section to die within the org

I am but a learner and totally irrational in my words and writing !!! believe me
I had a huge learning Curve with some people laughing at my attempt at Haiku yes they did !!!

but with the help of a few Trinkie Torvaig Sporran Angela Helen and them encouraging me
I learnt to put in print what we think and to express my thoughts

So lavenderblue do not dither
we all need you on the org
your verse your person
is a presence

But we need you in that person
continue to share what you know
where it will go well who well knows!!

to us all we are but trying
no mans land is our calling
we do fail in some peoples eyes
what the heck we are writing !