PDA

View Full Version : HELP please (BT again)

veekay
29-Feb-08, 13:08
I realize that there have been a few threads of late regarding BT and broadband in general but I really need help here.

I have a fault ( not personally you understand, though better half would no doubt disagree) line engineers say there is nothing wrong exchange engineers say there is nothing wrong broadband say there is nothing wrong BUT if I want ot use the internet I can't use the phone if I want to use the phone I cant use the internet. Until 1830hrs last friday that is what I could do now I can't and nobody will take responsibility. Calls reporting the fault and trying to get answers are costing me a lot Is there anyone out there with any suggestions.:confused

Thanks

Rheghead
29-Feb-08, 13:14
It sounds like you are still on dial-up.

Go to and see if you are going at speed.

http://www.speedtest.net

veekay
29-Feb-08, 13:17
Rheghead! that is just what it feels like but with broadband costs. I am about ot hit the phone again and try and get an answer. I am not holding my breath though

octane
29-Feb-08, 13:22
Is the broadband filters in place correctly or they could be knackered. Borrow some off a friend just to double check. Have you unplugged a cable recently and its been put in the wrong port by accident.

jojam76
29-Feb-08, 13:43
As Octane says there try replacing your Broadband filters and make sure you have the broadband cable in the point on the router or modem where it says broadband (alot of routers have a socket for a bypass phone to be plugged in and a common fault is that the broadband line is plugged into the wrong one)

Make sure you are not trying to use your Broadband modem or router through an extension. If you are then plug it into the main socket. If you have a line box (a white square box on the wall like all of them!! lol, but a line box has two screws down towards the bottom of the box and looks like it has a line indented across the middle in the plastic) You can unscrew this and underneath the faceplate there is a test socket, try the filter with the broadband and the phone directly from there. If you do not have this type of socket, do not and I mean do not...play about with it...just leave it for an engineer. The benefit of doing it if you do have a linebox is that you rule out any extensions or other equipment that might be causing the prob...and BT like to charge (and it isn't cheap) if it is your own equipement causing the problem.

If all of that does not solve the prob then call be on 0800800151 and report a line fault. Do not accept it if they say you have to speak to Broadband Technical Help - they cannot help. It is a line fault and an engineer should deal with it. But in more cases than not a problem like this is caused by a faulty microfilter or other equipment on the line. You just have to be insistent to be honest with faults as they will try and refer you back to Broadband but honestly it would be a line fault. Seen it before.

ashaw1
29-Feb-08, 22:26
I had a very similar problem when i moved house. Bt kept saying the service was working perfectly when i knew it wasn't. I persevered reporting the fault until they sent out a real live engineer who finally located the problem. If this doesn't work the next time you speak to the faults department ask to speak to the organ grinder - not the monkey! Best of luck!

emb123
29-Feb-08, 23:04
I agree, try changing the broadband/DSL line filters if possible and see if that solves the problem.

Also do make sure that your computer is correctly using the ADSL modem (or router) and not still trying to use the dial-up connection for its default method of connecting to the internet.

veekay
04-Mar-08, 12:22
Just ot update everyone who offered help. I did all that was suggested and it made no difference. Region 6 said there was n o broadband problem, but and to cut a very long story short, eventually an engineer came out, at no cost to me BT broadband said they would cover the cost, and found the fault was a short in my modem! I have to get a new one that will take a week so I will be without broadband, I will just put up with the internet or phone choice for a little while - looking back it isn't that long ago we were all delighted with getting the internet and having no phone at the time of use was not even considered - for a while longer but at least the whole situation is sorted.

Next battle to get a refund of my broadband charges for the time I am not able to connect using broadband, any bets as to how long that will take

Alice in Blunderland
04-Mar-08, 14:45
Next battle to get a refund of my broadband charges for the time I am not able to connect using broadband, any bets as to how long that will take

:lol: [lol] Love your sense of humour BT, refunds and quickly not something I would think goes in one sentence good luck.