PDA

View Full Version : Metal Culture

nikki
29-Feb-08, 11:55
Looking for some help and first hand experiences here. In my communications class at the college, we have to do a report and a talk on something we think will interest the class, and after discussing it with my tutor I've decided to do the culture of metal music, concentrating on what it technically called the "dance" most assosiated with it, "moshing".
Any help or descriptions of your own experiences would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

moncur
29-Feb-08, 13:39
Did it once at the big gig 2006, never again! £45 Firetrap shirt now used as a rag for polishing the car.

theweemidget
29-Feb-08, 18:33
moshing is fun but it can be very painful i've seen people get hurt but the first time you see it you think people are fighting each other and then afterwards they are shaking each other's hands and drinkin with each other. there are circle pits and walls of deaths.

wall of death is particularly dangerous cause the crowd is splitt down the middle and then charge at each other.

and well a circle pit is just a continuous circle.

You need to watch out for some of the emo moshers as they do kungfu type moves it can be painful. some idiot doing it near me nearly swung for me cause he didn't ave a clue what he was doing.

But the hard core moshers are just out to jump and push each other about in a fun/friendly way.

eitherway it's all fun

Julia
29-Feb-08, 18:37
Jump and push, jump and push, etc etc.. fall down, get picked up or trampled, jump and push etc etc..[lol] great fun!!

theweemidget
29-Feb-08, 18:47
lol i agree julia but it's a miracle some of the proper hardcore metallers can mosh cause the boots weigh bout 5kgs each foot and they wear about 4kgs worth of chains lol

moncur
01-Mar-08, 12:31
What I noticed is that its much safer to be in a mosh/circle pit/wall of death at a proper metal festival than at a festival such as T in the park. Theres a kind of unwritten rule that if someone next to you falls down, you pick them up before they hit the floor. This doesnt happen at T in the Park, somebody broke their leg at T in the Park during Lost Prophets because of this.

the_big_mac
01-Mar-08, 12:37
Did it once at the big gig 2006, never again! £45 Firetrap shirt now used as a rag for polishing the car.

Wasnt me!

goggs1987
01-Mar-08, 12:40
If you want a taste of circle pits, Youtube a Machine Head gig. Or for Devil Drivers gig at download .... did they not try to get the worlds biggest pit!?

Wall of death....... Lamb of God? Caliban? ...... they are pretty mental for them , some venues they have been banned from doing them :lol:

Windmill / Kungfu / whatever you wanna call that shizzz ..... Bleeding Through etc. most metalcore bands ..... your sure to see more windmills there than the causeymire!

what else is there.... you got the kinda punk/ska dance ... :lol: .... but suppose that aint metal.

moncur
01-Mar-08, 14:54
Wasnt me!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I put it to you that the big mac is a lier!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5028/229071081a1733504477b45ri9.jpg

theweemidget
01-Mar-08, 16:41
i've been in several pits but walls of death no! when i was in inverness apparently the ironworks banned moshing but we still did it anyway, yes the general rule is if someone does fall you pick em up straight away. but when i was at a place in inverness called downtown usa cause i was going on bout people doing kungfu stuff i saw someone get a wallop to their face and did their nose in! that gig was mental and i was very reluctant to go back to downtown. but where i live now it's a diff story moshing is fun and the people are soo much cooler.

even moshing head banging is different well you are less likely to feel dizzy after it

Jeid
01-Mar-08, 20:26
Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I put it to you that the big mac is a lier!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5028/229071081a1733504477b45ri9.jpg

What you can't see in that photo is, little Kieran was in the mosh pit... it was him who ripped your shirt.

slightly_funked
04-Mar-08, 11:31
yeah remember my mate after a metal gig next day he had bruises on his arms and a black eye