PDA

View Full Version : wick airport

dessie
28-Feb-08, 15:45
When are we going to get more flights south.with cheap flights.it would do the highlands a lot of good if it was to happen.and its just a pitty that it might never happen....:(

Riffman
28-Feb-08, 17:13
When?

When there are more people flying. Cheap flights only happen on busy routes where they can make their profits on bulk, not quality.

Highland Laddie
28-Feb-08, 17:18
When?

When there are more people flying. Cheap flights only happen on busy routes where they can make their profits on bulk, not quality.

Not necessarily, or British Airways wouldn't be flying at least 1 plane a day completely empty from Heathrow to USA and back again.

Whitewater
28-Feb-08, 17:26
If the flights were cheaper much more people would be using the airport for internal flights. It is a very sad state of affairs when you can fly from London to the USA for less then we can fly to Lerwick.

bekisman
28-Feb-08, 18:27
A few years ago I flew back from Paris to Heathrow on a 747 Jumbo and there was a total of seven passengers!

teddybear1873
28-Feb-08, 18:33
New York - Heathrow is about $480 return. Cant get my head round its so cheap to fly over the Atlantic.

dessie
28-Feb-08, 18:40
you can also fly from inverness to london for around 30 quid return if you book well in advance...

George Brims
28-Feb-08, 18:47
Not necessarily, or British Airways wouldn't be flying at least 1 plane a day completely empty from Heathrow to USA and back again.

Where on earth did you hear that? After the Sept 11 attacks there were a lot of unfilled planes flying about, but if you do much flying nowadays you will find most planes pretty well stuffed. Of course the airlines dumped a lot of flights and laid off a lot of people, though nowadays they are re-hiring a lot of furloughed crew.

Fluff
28-Feb-08, 20:59
i would it if we could fly up to Wick. Normally we go via Heathrow to Inverness but now that has been cancelled it is a big paid in the bum!!

Highland Laddie
28-Feb-08, 21:12
Where on earth did you hear that? After the Sept 11 attacks there were a lot of unfilled planes flying about, but if you do much flying nowadays you will find most planes pretty well stuffed. Of course the airlines dumped a lot of flights and laid off a lot of people, though nowadays they are re-hiring a lot of furloughed crew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=493357&in_page_id=1770

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=493357&in_page_id=1770

http://www.planestupid.com/?q=category/blog-tags/british-airways

zagor
28-Feb-08, 22:07
I recently booked a return flight from wick to edinburgh and used my air discount scheme card the saving of 40% means that for the price I paid its only slightly more expensive than the fuel I would use driving down and back up but alot quicker so im happy.
Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement but the price seemed really reasonable :)

MileHigh
28-Feb-08, 22:18
"you can also fly from inverness to london for around 30 quid return if you book well in advance..."

This is Exactly why Fares are so High People keep running to Inverness Airport
granted there is a differance in fares but perhaps people should write to their MP's and to the Airlines maybe if they get enough letters of interest in using Wick Airport they might be Encouraged to provide a better Cheaper Service.
Can't help but think that if there was as much energy put into getting cheap Air Fares and more Importantly some sort of Weekend service as there is " The Dornoch Rail crossing " then maybe something would happen. At the end of the day 20 minutes to the Oil Capital and 1 Hour to the Capital of Scotland and all the onward connections from their Airports why are people so obsessed with a 2 and a Half hour journey to INVERNESS !

Kevin Milkins
28-Feb-08, 23:06
I fly to Gran Canaria usualy twice a year and since I moved to Wick 2 years ago I have tried all permitations for ease of travel and price.I would be delighted to fly from Wick and then a onward flight, but it is not just a bit more expensive its more than double to fly from Wick to Bristol than it is from Bristol to Gran Canaria. And that is useing the discount card.The cheapest I have found is Inverness to Gatwick and onward to Gran Canaria.If Wick had a scheme of cheaper prices for a trial period they may find they will fill more seats.

plank
29-Feb-08, 21:41
"you can also fly from inverness to london for around 30 quid return if you book well in advance..."

This is Exactly why Fares are so High People keep running to Inverness Airport
granted there is a differance in fares but perhaps people should write to their MP's and to the Airlines maybe if they get enough letters of interest in using Wick Airport they might be Encouraged to provide a better Cheaper Service.
Can't help but think that if there was as much energy put into getting cheap Air Fares and more Importantly some sort of Weekend service as there is " The Dornoch Rail crossing " then maybe something would happen. At the end of the day 20 minutes to the Oil Capital and 1 Hour to the Capital of Scotland and all the onward connections from their Airports why are people so obsessed with a 2 and a Half hour journey to INVERNESS !

MileHigh has a good point, write to your MP/MSP and the 2 Airlines (loganair & eastern) and tell them that we want more flights to other destinations.
If enough of us do it they may listen.

I know a guy who flies at Wick and he's told me that one runway can now only be used by light planes and will close soon because they don't maintain it and this means if the wind is high they may not land the air ambulance!!!!

All the land that has been sold off to Tescos and Asda and the new Archives has made a fortune but all the money has been sent to Inverness!!!
Inverness gets all the money before they privatise it an the other airports will get closed down because they've no money left:(

--
plank

rob16d
29-Feb-08, 22:28
A few years ago I flew back from Paris to Heathrow on a 747 Jumbo and there was a total of seven passengers!

WOW! And the government is complaining that we are being inefficient with fuel...it's the airline company's fault!