PDA

View Full Version : Drug Users On Benefits...

justine
27-Feb-08, 11:35
Stated in the news this morning that drug users will loose their benifts for 6 months if they dont recieve treatment...Looks like a step forward but is it really going to work..To me it will just push them to crime if they are not getting money from the gov, to feed their habits....Here is the link.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080227/tuk-uk-britain-drugs-fa6b408_2.html

Penelope Pitstop
27-Feb-08, 11:48
Stated in the news this morning that drug users will loose their benifts for 6 months if they dont recieve treatment...Looks like a step forward but is it really going to work..To me it will just push them to crime if they are not getting money from the gov, to feed their habits....Here is the link.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080227/tuk-uk-britain-drugs-fa6b408_2.html

Give them "cold turkey".....

justine
27-Feb-08, 11:58
Give them "cold turkey".....

How many have had cold turkey but then go back on them..I imagine it is not that easy..But the idea of the benefits agency paying for their habit is ludicrous....But i asked if it would make it better for them if they stop the money, which then they have to either go to work or start doing criminal things to feed the habit..What will making them go cold turkey do..
At the moment people on heroin get prescribed methadone, but that is just a substitute..
Many heroin users are going to be incapable of work due to their habits...At the moment alcaholics get extra money to feed their drink problem because it is stated that acoholism is an illness, but so is drug addiction....

Heroin users especially could use their benefit in one day so stopping their money aint going to make a difference..
I agree with you to a point as i dont agree with drugs but can doing this help them..I feel not....

TBH
27-Feb-08, 12:04
Who feeds them or do they have to starve?

justine
27-Feb-08, 12:07
Who feeds them or do they have to starve?

If you are meaning food, i would have thought that would be the last thing they would be spending their money on....
If you mean their habit, well is it down to the government to do this...

Penelope Pitstop
27-Feb-08, 12:46
How many have had cold turkey but then go back on them..I imagine it is not that easy..But the idea of the benefits agency paying for their habit is ludicrous....But i asked if it would make it better for them if they stop the money, which then they have to either go to work or start doing criminal things to feed the habit..What will making them go cold turkey do..
At the moment people on heroin get prescribed methadone, but that is just a substitute..
Many heroin users are going to be incapable of work due to their habits...At the moment alcaholics get extra money to feed their drink problem because it is stated that acoholism is an illness, but so is drug addiction....

Heroin users especially could use their benefit in one day so stopping their money aint going to make a difference..
I agree with you to a point as i dont agree with drugs but can doing this help them..I feel not....
Don't know how many go back on again after cold turkey. Cold turkey is quite often a last resort. It all depends on how much discipline (not sure that's the right word) the person has with themselves to get off the drug...also who they hang around with and if they get support from partner, friends, family, etc.....that can be a big part of it.

Government got to start somewhere (if indeed they do this!!!), so if a drug addict ain't prepared to follow drug programs then what else choice is there but to dock/cut benefits??? The benefits they get a week won't go far to "feed" a habit anyway so if they are going to steal, they would be doing that already.

But I'm afraid I don't have the answers.

justine
27-Feb-08, 12:49
Don't know how many go back on again after cold turkey. Cold turkey is quite often a last resort. It all depends on how much discipline (not sure that's the right word) the person has with themselves to get off the drug...also who they hang around with and if they get support from partner, friends, family, etc.....that can be a big part of it.

Government got to start somewhere (if indeed they do this!!!), so if a drug addict ain't prepared to follow drug programs then what else choice is there but to dock/cut benefits??? The benefits they get a week won't go far to "feed" a habit anyway so if they are going to steal, they would be doing that already.

But I'm afraid I don't have the answers.

I dont think any one has...Like you say it is down to the user to want to help themselves................

TBH
27-Feb-08, 12:53
If you are meaning food, i would have thought that would be the last thing they would be spending their money on....
If you mean their habit, well is it down to the government to do this...I did mean food. If the government takes their benefits away then how do they live? If they spent all their money on drugs then why are they not dead from starvation? Will alcoholics be having their benefits taken away if they don't get help?

justine
27-Feb-08, 13:26
I did mean food. If the government takes their benefits away then how do they live? If they spent all their money on drugs then why are they not dead from starvation? Will alcoholics be having their benefits taken away if they don't get help?
Thats down to the user to make sure they have enough food to live on..As for the alcoholics i dont know i aint a member of parliament.....or work for the benefit agency...

As for the fact that they are not starving it is probably called stealing begging and pleading with family members,,i dont know never used drug so would not know.......

We knew someone who lived down the street, was a user..He was called begger john by all that knew him...He was given money from the benefit agency, his landlord gave him bits of work for money to feed his habit and hebegged for cash any other time.....So they are more than capable of feeding their habits......

I do believe they say..where's there's a will there's a way.....Phne boxes were a common one for him....Users will rob peter to pay paul..In one hand bag in the other.......

Billy Boy
27-Feb-08, 13:51

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080227/tuk-uk-britain-drugs-fa6b408_2.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080227/tuk-uk-britain-drugs-fa6b408_2.html)

I think it's a step in the right direction, they have to make claiming benefit's a bit harder rather than just keep giveing them easy money to feed their addiction. And i think the same sort of thing could be used to get some people back into work. like if they have been unemployed for a certain amount of time, they loose their benefit for 6 month's. it would surprise you how many folk would find a job then

TBH
27-Feb-08, 15:38
There is not a lot of difference between an illegal drugs user and an alcoholic.
One should lose their benefits and the other can drink themselves into oblivion and no-one seems to care. Smart thinking on the governments part.(sic)
A major crackdown on trafficking is what is needed and not this totally simplistic, knee-jerk reaction to a problem that the government couldn't give a damn about as long as it isn't costing them any of that lovely tax-payers money that they are very fond of lining their own pockets with.

justine
27-Feb-08, 15:41
There is not a lot of difference between an illegal drugs user and an alcoholic.
One should lose their benefits and the other can drink themselves into oblivion and no-one seems to care. Smart thinking on the governments part.(sic)
A major crackdown on trafficking is what is needed, not, hitting the poor sods that got addicted and not this totally simplistic, knee-jerk reaction to a problem that the government couldn't give a damn about as long as it isn't costing them any of that lovely tax-payers money that they are very fond of lining their own pockets with.
Very well said......I do believe that they are trying to crack down but not getting very far me thinks, plus then the gov officials would have nowt to snort before going into the house......;)

justine
27-Feb-08, 15:52
A major crackdown on trafficking is what is needed and not this totally simplistic, knee-jerk reaction to a problem that the government couldn't give a damn about as long as it isn't costing them any of that lovely tax-payers money that they are very fond of lining their own pockets with.

Sorry to quote this again but just noticed this in the news and wondered if the gov has gone too far this time......

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1307069,00.html