PDA

View Full Version : Man refuses to attend court for sentence...

percy toboggan
26-Feb-08, 18:58
What a very tolerant country we live in.
A brutal killer declines to go back to court after a guilty verdict.
This man Bellfield should have been dragged back to the dock to learn of his fate.

Am I alone in thinking he deserves nothing but a substantial chunk of rope?
Perhaps some incentive beforehand to discuss other crimes to which he is linked.

dandod
26-Feb-08, 19:07
i totally agree with you.he should have been forced to go, at the very least, out of respect for his victims families. he should share that rope with steve wright.

Highland Laddie
26-Feb-08, 19:15
i totally agree with you.he should have been forced to go, at the very least, out of respect for his victims families. he should share that rope with steve wright.

Come on now Dandod,

I think Steve Right does quite a good job,
i quite often tune into him on BBC Radio 2

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 19:21
With DNA giving nearly 100% success rate, why on earth isnt the death penalty taken back in this country. Not only for the justice to be served but the tax payers money to be saved. I would hate to think how much money it costs for mass and serial killers who are on watch 24/7 in prisons.

Rheghead
26-Feb-08, 19:23
This man Bellfield should have been dragged back to the dock to learn of his fate.

Perhaps some incentive beforehand to discuss other crimes to which he is linked.

I know how you feel but personally I don't care if he was there or not. In fact it is probably better if criminals are sentenced by proxy for security reasons. And in some cases it may deny them another chance to smirk in front of the victim's families. Let us just put these people away with the least of fuss or publicity.

Penelope Pitstop
26-Feb-08, 19:24
With DNA giving nearly 100% success rate, why on earth isnt the death penalty taken back in this country. Not only for the justice to be served but the tax payers money to be saved. I would hate to think how much money it costs for mass and serial killers who are on watch 24/7 in prisons.

Costs a fortune to keep them. I believe it is the region of approx £33,000 a year for each little crettin at HM pleasure.

dandod
26-Feb-08, 19:28
he said the reason he was not going was because of the "bad publicity" he recieved during his conviction.what on earth does he expect? sympathy? a shoulder to cry on? this man is clearly does not understand the geavity of what he has done,he must be severly deluded.

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 19:28
I personally am just very pleased that he has got a whole life tarrif. Very well deserved.

I don't honestly care what it costs, it is far more of a punishment being locked in a jail for the rest of your life than a quick death.

I am afraid that the hang 'em brigade are just looking for vengeance, not a very pleasant human trait really. Let's punish the instead, much more satisfying :D

And I forgot to say, I don't really care that he wasn't in court for sentence. It was always going to be life, and a pretty good chance it was going to be whole life. He might as well get settled where he's going to stay a long time.

olivia
26-Feb-08, 19:31
Having seen his attitude during interview, 'no comment' and turning his back on the interviewers, I can't see him admitting to anymore murders when he is in prison. Lets hope they can find enough evidence to be able to solve some more of these terrible cases. The only consolation is that he will never be released and so his reign of terror is at an end. I hope he has a long and miserable life in jail, probably in solitary.

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 19:34
I personally am just very pleased that he has got a whole life tarrif. Very well deserved.

I don't honestly care what it costs, it is far more of a punishment being locked in a jail for the rest of your life than a quick death.

I am afraid that the hang 'em brigade are just looking for vengeance, not a very pleasant human trait really. Let's punish the instead, much more satisfying :D

And it wasnt exactly a very pleasant human trait for the 2 women he murdered. Like most prisoners in the British legal system, he will be treated well and have all the luxurys. HANG THEM!!!!

Penelope Pitstop
26-Feb-08, 19:41

If it was my daughter damn right I'd want vengence. I'd be first in the queue with my tools for torture and a rope to finish him off.

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 19:41
And it wasnt exactly a very pleasant human trait for the 2 women he murdered.

Thankfully we live in a civilised society, and don't fall for the pointless 'eye for an eye' philosophy of the barbarian.

Like most prisoners in the British legal system, he will be treated well and have all the luxurys.

He will be treated humanely, and with little 'luxury'. Where's your proof of all these luxuries anyway? Reading from hackneyed tabloid exposés and the like?

martin macdonald
26-Feb-08, 19:42

Perhaps some incentive beforehand to discuss other crimes to which he is linked.i agree with you percy, only tolerant is not the word soft would be more how our country is at this time:eek:

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 19:46
Thankfully we live in a civilised society, and don't fall for the pointless 'eye for an eye' philosophy of the barbarian.

He will be treated humanely, and with little 'luxury'. Where's your proof of all these luxuries anyway? Reading from hackneyed tabloid exposés and the like?

My proof is that i worked for the criminal justice for 8 years. These people should have there life taken away from them. " Life for a life "

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 19:46
And it wasnt exactly a very pleasant human trait for the 2 women he murdered. Like most prisoners in the British legal system, he will be treated well and have all the luxurys. HANG THEM!!!!

You clearly have never set foot in a jail in the UK :eek:

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 19:47
If it was my daughter damn right I'd want vengence. I'd be first in the queue with my tools for torture and a rope to finish him off.

Yep. me too. It's an entirely natural reaction. Doesn't mean we have to follow it through, though.

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 19:50
You clearly have never set foot in a jail in the UK :eek:

And going by your username, i would say you have.

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 19:50
My proof is that i worked for the criminal justice for 8 years. These people should have there life taken away from them. " Life for a life "

Absolutely not. If you worked for 'the criminal justice' for any length of time, with that attitude, then heaven help us all.

How many convicted serial killers did you work with, exactly?

dook
26-Feb-08, 19:52

It's the "nearly 100%" issue. Poor individual that makes up the wrongly convicted low percentile. The chance to appeal is there whilst still alive. Unfortunately mistakes have been found to happen.

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 19:52

Me too!

Just the same as every time an over inflated ego in a cheap BMW decides that the rules of the road do not apply to them I would like to go and smash every panel of their rust heap.

But I don't do it.

As far as I am aware we a still officially classified as homo sapiens.

We have grown beyond blind adherence to our baser instincts and become thinkers.

I don't think I want society to commit murder in my name.

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 19:56
Absolutely not. If you worked for 'the criminal justice' for any length of time, with that attitude, then heaven help us all.

How many convicted serial killers did you work with, exactly?

Sour Grapes !!!!!!

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 19:58
Sour Grapes !!!!!!

Pathetic response.

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 20:00
I think there is a place in modern society for capital punishment based on merit.Our system is just getting bogged down with these people.
I would guess the reason for him not wanting to go to court for sentance is he proberbly intends to appeal against his conviction.

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 20:01
And going by your username, i would say you have.

I don't quite understand your point, but am taking it as a wee joke based on the nick part of my username.

Yes I have been in both civilian and military jails in the UK. I have been in the maximum security wing at Wakefield jail, and spent many many hours in Armley jail.

I have spent many hours with individuals convicted of very serious crimes. And seen the luxury they are provided with.

Until you have I suggest you read a little wider than the Daily Mail!

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 20:03
I don't quite understand your point, but am taking it as a wee joke based on the nick part of my username.

Yes I have been in both civilian and military jails in the UK. I have been in the maximum security wing at Wakefield jail, and spent many many hours in Armley jail.

I have spent many hours with individuals convicted of very serious crimes. And seen the luxury they are provided with.

You said it all. The response i was expecting.

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 20:05
You said it all. The response i was expecting.

oh, enigmatic, I just love that!

percy toboggan
26-Feb-08, 20:05

Here we go again.....whatever have Daily Mail readers (and there are millions of us) ever done to deserve such blanket derision?
This is a lazy, lazy put down and symptomatic of a bankrupt argument.I rated you a cut above this Nick in the North...I was wrong.

melt
26-Feb-08, 20:06
Personally I think a person who murders or brutally attacks another should be given the same back. I do not believe that these do gooders who say prisoners or whatever have rights, what about the rights of the victim, I suppose these poor sods didnt get a say!!!! Quite frankly there should be like for like if some derranged loon decides he want to attack and murder another then he should be made to understand exactly what he thinks is normal behaviour is actually quite repulsive and the rest of us would be better off without him or her for that matter. If it was your child/relative how would you feel.

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 20:08
When people parrot the trite and simplistic views written in the tabloid press then I am very dismissive of the argument. When people put forward constructive arguments I will respond in kind.

percy toboggan
26-Feb-08, 20:12
When people parrot the trite and simplistic views written in the tabloid press then I am very dismissive of the argument. When people put forward constructive arguments I will respond in kind.

Have you ever looked at the Daily Mail ?
Views expressed therein are far from simplistic.
They may be slanted toward the right of the political spectrum
but so are millions of British people.
The paper should not be lumped in with 'red tops'.
If you do so then you are wide of the mark.

Anyone who describes the Mail as 'trite' and 'simplistic' is either very
prejudiced, super intelligent or dense. I suspect you are none of these.

NickInTheNorth
26-Feb-08, 20:24
Have you ever looked at the Daily Mail ?

Yes, indeed I have been misrepresented in it a couple of times :D

Views expressed therein are far from simplistic.They appear it to me.

They may be slanted toward the right of the political spectrum
but so are millions of British people.Don't have a problem with that.

The paper should not be lumped in with 'red tops'.
If you do so then you are wide of the mark.It should, and I'm not.

Anyone who describes the Mail as 'trite' and 'simplistic' is either very
prejudiced, super intelligent or dense. I suspect you are none of these.Prejudiced, no not me.

Super intelligent, well depends on what you mean by that. On a purely statistical basis then I guess with an IQ of 157 I am, but I don't really hold that particular measurement in great esteem.

Dense, probably, I seem to weigh far more than most people would guess, so that could be down to me being denser than average.

percy toboggan
26-Feb-08, 20:28
[quote=NickInTheNorth;347042]
Super intelligent, well depends on what you mean by that. On a purely statistical basis then I guess with an IQ of 157 I am, but I don't really hold that particular measurement in great esteem.

quote]

Neither do I , much less so people who mention it.

Solus
26-Feb-08, 20:32
Personally i think we should be glad that for once a judge has given the maximum he can give ! more than likely there will be an appeal and more than likely it will be reduced or a date set for parole to be considered.

Luxurys ? well yes they will have their tv in cell, but they have to pay for that on a weekly basis, games consol and stereo. Consider the other side, he wakes up every day in a cell, cant leave it until an officer unlocks it, cant go for his meals until the alloted times, has to sit in a visit room with his visitors surrounded by others with no privacy, has to attend work unless medically unfit, limited access to money, limited access to telephones, recreation at nights will be the same, same old faces, always being ordered about, threat of violence from other prisoners, little privacy when it comes to showers and toilets, or having to use an in cell toilet, an hour a day walking round a yard, possible lock up at any time, discipline and order, prison clothing during working hours,and to top it all off ..... knowing he is there for the rest of his days ! I would rather have that than take his life.

Having spent just short of 20 years in the prison service I have seen many things, worked closely with long term inmates ( some have been inside for 25 plus years ) and see what it does to a man. Forget the rubbish often printed in the press, yes prison is not the same as it was many years ago, but it is still no soft option for some one like this.

Kevin Milkins
26-Feb-08, 20:42
I have met some extreemly intelligent people over the years and some of them without an ounce of common sense.

Changing the subject Back to the nasty man in jail, has anybody seen the black and white film 10 Rillington Place?

Penelope Pitstop
26-Feb-08, 20:44
Yep. me too. It's an entirely natural reaction. Doesn't mean we have to follow it through, though.

..but that's where we differ......I think if I got the chance I would...you see I think it would be the only way I could deal with it....knowing that he was dead.

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 21:00
You can't possibly say that with any conviction (sorry!) until you are actually in that position.

_Ju_
26-Feb-08, 21:14

DNA is a sucess at what? Identifying the perpetrator? Well, actually it is not 100% sucessful ( eg: chimeras, non secretors, etc).
The good ole' USA has the death penalty. It has killed innocent people who went through trials that proved beyond doubt their guilt, based on evidence, including DNA evidence. DNA was also present in the trial of OJ Simpson, who's blood was found at the scene and whose victims blood was found in his car and at his home, along side all the other conclusive evidence (If you believed him innocent at the trial, surely after his book "If I did it, those doubts have been dispelled). Yet all this evidence, including DNA was ignored by the jury. If you look at the death row population in America, you will find that poor coloured minorities are over represented. If you are white and especially if you are rich, it is unlikely that you are condemned to death, unless your crimes are horrific. The death sentence has done nothing to deter violent crime in America nor has it made justice anymore just. It is not evidence (including DNA) that convicts a person, but their ability to buy themselves out of guilt. And if the evidence does not exactly fit the suspect, it's presentation can be manipulated when the prosecution so wish- sometimes leading to an innocent man being sentenced to death.
Is the death penalty worth even one person being killed for a crime they did not commit?

j4bberw0ck
26-Feb-08, 22:05
With DNA giving nearly 100% success rate, why on earth isnt the death penalty taken back in this country

I look forward to the screaming and howling when they come for you because you fell in the "nearly" category :lol:

Like most prisoners in the British legal system, he will be treated well and have all the luxurys. HANG THEM!!!!

Dear, dear, teddybear. What a misguided soul you are. Check out the hangings. (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/)

Of course, if you'd be happy to see you, your spouse or child carted away and hanged - even though you might think them innocent - then I would support your view.

Dense, probably, I seem to weigh far more than most people would guess, so that could be down to me being denser than average.

Damn. We do have something in common. :lol:

10 Rillington Place?

How appropriate you should choose the story of Timothy Evans, IQ of 70, hanged in 1950 for the murder by strangling of his wife and child (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/timothyevans/timothyevans.pdf). Spookily, he lived next door to that nice Mr Christie, at 10 Rillington Place. Evans was pardoned in full (much good it did him) in 1966. Christie confessed to the murders in 1953. How about that for hanging folk, teddybear? (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/timothyevans/timothyevans.pdf) Great!

I have met some extreemly intelligent people over the years and some of them without an ounce of common sense.

And some extremely intelligent people met a good many, over the years, who had neither common sense, nor intelligence. I wonder who had the advantage? I know where my money is.....

teddybear1873
26-Feb-08, 22:39
I look forward to the screaming and howling when they come for you because you fell in the "nearly" category :lol:

Dear, dear, teddybear. What a misguided soul you are. Check out the hangings. (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/)

Of course, if you'd be happy to see you, your spouse or child carted away and hanged - even though you might think them innocent - then I would support your view.

Damn. We do have something in common. :lol:

How appropriate you should choose the story of Timothy Evans, IQ of 70, hanged in 1950 for the murder by strangling of his wife and child (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/timothyevans/timothyevans.pdf). Spookily, he lived next door to that nice Mr Christie, at 10 Rillington Place. Evans was pardoned in full (much good it did him) in 1966. Christie confessed to the murders in 1953. How about that for hanging folk, teddybear? (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/timothyevans/timothyevans.pdf) Great!

And some extremely intelligent people met a good many, over the years, who had neither common sense, nor intelligence. I wonder who had the advantage? I know where my money is.....

Your going on about a mistake nearly 60 years ago, technology has advanced since then, or didnt you notice? It's obvious everyone has a different opinion on the death penalty. People are saying in here that so called mass murders or serial killers arnt treating right cause they cant have privacy going to to the toilet, stuck behind a cell 24hrs a day ( A tear is running down my glass eye ) People like Ian Huntly, Steve Wright, Dennis Nielsin etc etc should have the death penalty. Thats justice!!!!!

Metalattakk
26-Feb-08, 22:42
People are saying in here that so called mass murders or serial killers arnt treating right cause they cant have privacy going to to the toilet, stuck behind a cell 24hrs a day

Where on earth are you reading that?

j4bberw0ck
26-Feb-08, 23:23
Your going on about a mistake nearly 60 years ago, technology has advanced since then, or didnt you notice?

At a guess, teddybear, I noticed more than you did. Perhaps you failed to notice that mistakes can still be made; Stefan Kiszko, Sally Clark (who took her own life after the proxy-teddybears of this world persecuted her). And that's before we get to Brazilian electricians, shot in the face because they happened to be mis-identified.

I very much doubt technology has move d on to the point where we're infallible, just yet.

TBH
26-Feb-08, 23:35
Bringing back the death penalty would place us on the same level as the murderer and there has been far too many mistakes where capital punishment is concerned. Derek Bentley was pardoned but so what, you cannot bring back the innocent after you have killed them. One innocent life taken is worth a thousand proven murdering scum in my opinion and totally negates any call for the death penalty to be re-introduced..

JAWS
26-Feb-08, 23:53

Changing the subject Back to the nasty man in jail, has anybody seen the black and white film 10 Rillington Place?Yes. I also remember that James Hanratty was also "innocent", in fact I seem to remember somebody else even confessing to the murder. He was being paid a lot of attention by the Media until, that is, DNA checks linked Hanratty directly to the murder.

Christopher Evans was, at least, an accessory to the murder of his wife and child and therefore, according to the law at the time equally guilty.
Christy eventually admitted to the murder of Evans' wife but denied categorically having any connection with the murder of Evans' child.

I also saw the film Titanic. That was also entertaining but is equally quite useless as a piece of Historical Evidence.
There is always somebody who is quite willing to plead that anybody convicted of a serious crime has been the subject of a Miscarriage of Justice no matter what the weight of evidence is.

People are quite happy to cast aside any thought of justice for the victims including the fact that they are totally denied any recourse to an Appeal System of any sort.
The person accused of Murder has recourse to the Judicial System. The victim is accused, tried, convicted and sentenced solely at the whim of the person committing the murder.
If that means that some think I lack intelligence and/or common sense then !Guilty as Charged" you are quite entitled to your opinion for what it matters. I won't be losing any sleep. for that I would have to have search hard for both compassion and a conscience and I was disabused of having them a long time ago.

Whitewater
26-Feb-08, 23:53
DNA is becoming very accurate now. Our jails are overcrowded with convicted murderers. The whole country is becoming too soft, full of dogooders who always put the convicted killers rights before those of their victims who lost theirs for no reason at all.

Where guilt is proven without doubt they should loose their life as well. I know you will all be up in arms, but I feel that we should bring back the birch and hanging. Nobody has any fear today when they commit a crime no matter how heinious, they know they will be looked after in jail, get a few thousand out of the system if they complain about something and get out after seven years, if your a good boy inside.

I know that the two suggestions I have made will stop overcrowding in jails and save the taxpayers countless millions.

But I don't think it will ever happen in this civilised (for some) country.

rupert
27-Feb-08, 00:41
It has been quite refreshing to hear judges in the last two high profile murder trials, that of Steve Wright and now Levi whatever his name is, passing a life sentence that really means life. How many times have we heard a life sentence passed only to find the swine is out in 10/15 years or so?

On the question of capital punishment, I too was all for that many years ago, until I saw the case of Stephan Kishko. How could you not feel remorse for that poor man, imprisoned for all those years for a murder he did not commit, only to be let out and then die fairly soon afterwards?

The people calling for DNA samples of everyone gets me unnerved as well. Mistakes do happen and why should millions of innocent people, who will never commit a crime in their life, have their DNA on such a database. With the government's record recently for losing things etc. I wouldn't trust them to do anything right.

j4bberw0ck
27-Feb-08, 00:45
DNA is becoming very accurate now

Dear, dear. I doubt the "accuracy" of DNA has changed in several million years.

The issue, Whitewater, is - if your DNA is found at a crime scene - whether or not you could have left it there. And if, given a theoretical DNA database, the evidence might be misused.

A bit like your fingerprint.

And if you trust the police on this, read the stories of some of your fellow citizens, banged up by coppers who just knew the suspects were guilty and just sort of nudged the evidence ever so gently........
(http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/index.html)

Penelope Pitstop
27-Feb-08, 12:10
You can't possibly say that with any conviction (sorry!) until you are actually in that position.

What................if some animal had tortured, raped, bludgeoned my little girl to death........Oh I think I most definately would...but only if I got there before her father. I'm sure I'm not alone in that...

justine
27-Feb-08, 12:24
If i am correct and i may not be, The law does stipulate that once a man has been found guilty of a crime he does not have to attend the court for the sentencing.He has every right not too, if they are the right words. I dont condone what he is doing as i think he should be there to face the judge and families but he does not have to...
IMO he should be hung, but that is not a factor in this..He will die in prison and that he is sure of..He obviously feels no need to go to the hearing as he knows his sentence already....

If he had touched my kids he would not have got to court,he would have ended up on the cold slab, but he is there and he is using the sytem which allows criminals to manipulate the system..It is down to the gov again to change the laws on this...Until then he has every right to sit in his warm cell watching his tv and lapping up the attention....Oh what a crappy world we live in...But this is only my opinion....

Whitewater
27-Feb-08, 16:37
Dear, dear. I doubt the "accuracy" of DNA has changed in several million years.

The issue, Whitewater, is - if your DNA is found at a crime scene - whether or not you could have left it there. And if, given a theoretical DNA database, the evidence might be misused.

A bit like your fingerprint.

And if you trust the police on this, read the stories of some of your fellow citizens, banged up by coppers who just knew the suspects were guilty and just sort of nudged the evidence ever so gently........
(http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/index.html)

j4bberw0ck, I'm perfectly aware of DNA, its merits and its limits. I'm also aware of nudging of evidence, it has gone on since time began, and it will continue, I guess, as long as there are human beings collecting it. That alas is an unfortunate trait in the human race.

I said 'Where guilt is proven without doubt' they should bring back capital punishment. I agree that there have been countless miscarriages of justice and I am as horrified about that as anybody else. The fact that these miscarriages have taken place should not however deter us from administering the law to match the crime, when guilt is proven WITHOUT doubt.

You and countless others will not agree with that, but the truth of the matter is that Britain has become too soft, and as as a result is going to the dogs because everybody is too scared to take responsibility, and thus chaos reigns supreme. When people are too scared to walk the streets at night there is something far wrong with our society, and unless something is done soon the vigilantes will be taking over. What are we going to do then? Bring in marshal law where you will be shot on sight it you break the curfew?

percy toboggan
27-Feb-08, 17:23

Changing the subject Back to the nasty man in jail, has anybody seen the black and white film 10 Rillington Place?

A very good film...grim but good. Harrowing but watchable at the same time....and I've only ever seen it in full colour.

Thinking about this it may well look better in monochrome. I keep meaning to buy the dvd.

_Ju_
27-Feb-08, 17:57
I said 'Where guilt is proven without doubt' they should bring back capital punishment. I agree that there have been countless miscarriages of justice and I am as horrified about that as anybody else. The fact that these miscarriages have taken place should not however deter us from administering the law to match the crime, when guilt is proven WITHOUT doubt.

What about american justice (?) with death penalties that have killed people proven guilty WITHOUT doubt that were later proven NOTguilty without doubt? And does capital punishment do anything to deter violent crime in america?

TBH
27-Feb-08, 18:09
What about american justice (?) with death penalties that have killed people proven guilty WITHOUT doubt that were later proven NOTguilty without doubt? And does capital punishment do anything to deter violent crime in america?
True, If capital punishment deterred people from commiting serious crime there would be no-one on death row in the U.S.

percy toboggan
27-Feb-08, 18:29
Within the realm of crime and punishment deterrence is only one element...a key element but just one all the same. There are also retribution and punishment ro consider. Retribution is an unfashionalbe concept amongst sandal wearing liberals but I feel that a victims family and friends are entitled to expect society to take a slice of it on their behalf.

Punishment is also a key element...I see precious little 'punishment' within the penal system. A long term advocate of whole life sentences in preference to the rope I have recently changed my mind. I'm not in favour of the death penalty for all murders, but there are certain heinous crimes which I now recognise fully deserve it....and I also support its return for murders of pubic servants like Police Officers and Prison Officers. The overwhelming weight of public opinion is still behind a return of capital punishment.