PDA

View Full Version : Memory DIMMs

j4bberw0ck
22-Feb-08, 12:34
My son's computer has started crashing - right back to POST - at unpredictable intervals - sometimes during the BIOS POSTing, sometimes once Windows XP is running. It's getting worse; at least when it started, it would only do it while Windows was running; now it'll do it anytime.

Clearly (?) there's a hardware issue. Checked all the obvious - loose leads, loose components, overheating and so on. PC is a few months old.

Suspecting, at the moment, the DIMMs; he took the pc apart (goodbye warranty - teenage boys - dontcha just love 'em? :lol: ) and I'm wondering whether he's damaged one. Downloaded a Windows-based memory tester last night and tried to run it; as soon as it starts to run, the pc crashes.

So, two questions, if anyone can advise:

1. I don't have any spare DIMMs and there are 2x1GB DDR2 667 in an Asus P5 series mobo. The 4 DIMM slots are obviously paired (I say obviously because they're colour-coded and numbered). Am I right in thinking I can't run the pc with only one DIMM in place? (I did Read The F-F-F-Fantastic Manual and it was no help on this score).

2. If by chance it isn't the memory, then next suspect AFAICS is the power supply. It's only a few months old; it's branded as Win Power, which is ringing vague bells in the back of my mind, but that's maybe because I'm confusing the name with those 'orrible WinModems that used to cause such trouble in the Bad Old Days. Let's be honest - the PC was built to a price. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks, peeps.

Sapphire2803
22-Feb-08, 20:53
1 should be fine (in the lowest slot number)
Checked with a friend before I posted and was told...
"well, it won't do any harm"
He said it just might not work if it's 64 bit.

When you take the cover off, have you got a little row of diagnostic leds?
You could get the error code from them or beeps?

Other thoughts...

Could the processor be overheating?

matelot79
22-Feb-08, 21:28
Have had a few ASUS motherboards 98, 98SE and XP although you have to be quick with XP, during the POST (power on self test, for those non techs who are interested) it detects how much RAM, hard drives, DVD/CD etc etc there is. So if one of the sticks is causing problems try booting up with just one and then the other.
If you have the motherboard software you should have a program called ASUS probe on it, which could well be running in the background and it will give you all the voltages, cpu fan speed and temp and also mother board temp.

Bobinovich
23-Feb-08, 00:23
My money's on either overheating or a power supply problem, although it could conceivably be the memory.

1. with the cover off, check to make sure that all the fans (inc. the PSU internal one) are running freely - if not then replace or temporariy lubricate).

2. unplug all un-necessary items which need power i.e. optical drives, unused PCI cards (modems), etc., also connected external USB items - this will reduce the load to the minimum and indicate if the PSU is having problems.

3. you can even try re-seating the memory modules - this has worked for me on occasion. If your board does not like individual modules then it should soon let you know with some BIOS beeps.

j4bberw0ck
23-Feb-08, 13:07
Thanks, peeps. I'm grateful.

Running with one DIMM was to try and see if I could kill the fault on removal of one of the DIMMs, so we'll give it a whirl.

It's definitely not processor overheating; the core temperatures are stable in the 40C range even when Call of Duty 4 is running flat out, and about 27 - 29C at idle. The heatsink has no trace of dust, and is properly seated. I reseated the DIMMs when I checked all the cables and connectors.

There are no error code beeps at start-up, above and beyond the one "OK" at the beginning.

I'd also had XP repair itself from the XP disc and then since the repair process couldn't find a file it was looking for, and nothing was lost by doing it, I deep-formatted the partition, reinstalled XP from scratch and added all the updates. The latest approved drivers are installed for the mobo etc (no betas).

I'll swap DIMMs in and out to see if it works, then if not, I'll find a PSU to try.

Thanks again.

Riffman
23-Feb-08, 13:39
50 to 1 its the power supply. Had two of em do it to me!

Random resets at any time = duff PSU.

j4bberw0ck
26-Feb-08, 21:31
Looking like Hats Off to Riffman.

Different PSU fitted and it's run 20 hours with a memory tester running flat out, and no sign of crashing.

Calling this one fixed. Very many thanks to all who contributed.

**CLOSED**