PDA

View Full Version : Wick High School swimming pool

KCI
22-Feb-08, 11:45
Do the kids in Wick High School still get swimming lessons?

I heard today that the swimming pool in the High School is going to be closed - filled in, with the space used for something else. I'm not 100% sure it that is true, but I did hear from a reliable source.

I'm not trying to spread rumours, but if it is true, it seems to be such a waste. We are quite lucky in Wick to have 2 swimming pools, but a lot of people complain that it is difficult to get into the Public Swimming Pool, due to schoolchildren having lessons etc.

If the High School pool is closed, does that mean the kids just won't be able to have lessons, or will they have to go to the Public Swimming Pool?

I think it's a shame - we always had swimming lessons in the High School. It just seems to be such a waste, to have the use of a swimming pool in a High School, just to have it filled in.

Venture
22-Feb-08, 12:03
I think this is the eventual outcome of the pool. At the moment there is little call by the pupils to use the pool. For various reasons the kids dont want swimming in class time and the PE dept are inundated with excuses and notes from parents. The pool itself is in a shocking state. Lack of grouting has meant many of the children cutting their feet on the sharp edges and it leaks continually. Its so old now its past its sell by date and the space can be put to better use for other more popular sports.

KCI
22-Feb-08, 12:06
Thanks for the reply, Venture.

I haven't been into the High School for years, so wasn't aware of the state of the pool. I still think it's a shame though.

It's a pity that they couldn't renovate the pool, set up a swimming team, take part in competitions etc. I suppose it would all come down to money though.

Venture
22-Feb-08, 12:15
You've hit the nail on the head. There are major problems with the pool and the gym above. So much needs to be done that it would probably be cheaper building a new one.

rob16d
22-Feb-08, 12:17
There's a swimming pool in Wick High!?!?! In thurso only students taking PE take swimming lessons, and even then it's very rarely...plus the school have to take the students all the way down to the public pool since there isn't a pool at the school!

Torvaig
22-Feb-08, 12:38
There's a swimming pool in Wick High!?!?! In thurso only students taking PE take swimming lessons, and even then it's very rarely...plus the school have to take the students all the way down to the public pool since there isn't a pool at the school!

There has been a swimming pool in Wick High since the sixties; the poor thing must be worn out by now.....:lol:

rob16d
22-Feb-08, 16:25
There has been a swimming pool in Wick High since the sixties; the poor thing must be worn out by now.....:lol:

Jee-whizz! I never knew that!!! How big is it?

sphinx
22-Feb-08, 21:06
a bout time they spent some money on it then instead of car parking spaces at the rear of the school that would have cost thousands to do............:Razz