PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod landing

wavy davy
19-Feb-08, 23:15
Can anyone settle an arguement. An acquaintance swears blind that Nimrods frequently land at Wick airport.
I've seen them descending towards the runway then the pilot turns on the gas and the aircraft climbs away without landing.
I've never seen a landing and from the limited research I've carried out I don't think that the runway is long enough anway - maybe to land but not to get off again.
Input welcome.

Rheghead
19-Feb-08, 23:30
I saw them the other day, I thought they were doing emergency landing or approaches to Wick airport? The same day I saw that chinook out by the Clow.

George Brims
19-Feb-08, 23:35
I haven't seen a Nimrod do it, but I have seen a Phantom (this was some years ago!) do a touch-and-go. I believe it's done so the pilots are familiar with the approach, runway layout etc., so things will go more smoothly in the event they have to use Wick for an emergency landing.

Mik.M.
19-Feb-08, 23:36
Seen the Nimrods frequently,the seem to be doing practice approaches,they seem to do 3 or 4 circuits then fly off. Best one was the Tornado about 6 weeks ago at about 500 ft banked right over doing 600 mph over Tesco.Awesome!!

Macwull
19-Feb-08, 23:42
Yeah they dont actually land just practice approaches, its pretty cool seeing them in the sky and that though, heard that tornado the other month in halkirk breaking the sound barrier, well so i believe, anyone heard if it was confirmed?

Metalattakk
19-Feb-08, 23:43
I can mind Shackletons landing and taking-off from Wick. But no Nimrods.

wicker05
19-Feb-08, 23:52
Can anyone settle an arguement. An acquaintance swears blind that Nimrods frequently land at Wick airport.
I've seen them descending towards the runway then the pilot turns on the gas and the aircraft climbs away without landing.
I've never seen a landing and from the limited research I've carried out I don't think that the runway is long enough anway - maybe to land but not to get off again.
Input welcome.

The Nimrods don't land at Wick, they use the airport for practice approaches.The runway as far as i'm aware is long enough for the Nimrod to safely land and take off. Incidently if during these practice approaches the wheels of the aircraft touch the runway, the RAF will receive a bill for landing charges, thats why the pilot turns on the gas and throttles away when he gets close to the runway!

Tilter
20-Feb-08, 00:02
The same day I saw that chinook out by the Clow.

Rheghead,
There was a Chinook whmp-whmping around here yesterday. Haven't noticed one before. Are they just exercising same as the jets or was something going on, do you know?

cemmts
20-Feb-08, 01:10
A Airbus has landed and at Wick maybe 3 or 4 years. Never seen the nimrod land just do circuits

Wicks main runway
13/31
5988 x 148 feet
1825 x 45 meters

Most of the Boeing 737's could land and takeoff at wick. Landing distance is normally 300 - 400 meters less than takeoff . But really depends on the aircraft.

George Brims
20-Feb-08, 01:34
Well some days at Wick they would be half way up to takeoff airspeed just standing still, nose-on to the wind!

scotsman1
20-Feb-08, 02:03
Input welcome.

As far as I know if a nimrod was to land in Wick it would not be able to take off as the runway is too short, it would have to stay here and mabey become a visitor attraction.

Fran
20-Feb-08, 03:51
Nimrods can't land at wick but just do low flying exercises, bombing, over wick airport. there is an exercise going on just now, thats why there was a chinook at the airport.

Riffman
20-Feb-08, 11:31
As has been said before the Nimrod only does practice landings and avoids touching the wheels.

If the wheels touch then he gets around £1000 landing fee for an aircraft of that tonnage.

So its cheaper to keep the wheels off :lol:

lady penelope
20-Feb-08, 23:02
The nimrods are doing touch and runs. Not sure why they do it at Wick, but it's part of Airforce manouvers, the runway at Wick is far too short for nimrods to land.
The touch and runs at RAF Kinloss are amazing. I have fantastic photos of aircraft 50 feet above our car:eek:, you can almost touch them!
Don't know how to post them though.

dessie
21-Feb-08, 00:23
the nimrod ..what it is called is touch and goes without the wheels touching down..and also it is pilot training...i worked at belfast international airport and it happened there two also all virgin planes did the same type of training but was not aloud to land very expensive landing fees.

_Ju_
21-Feb-08, 00:25
I was told that the nimrods can't land in Wick because the runway is not long enough for them to take off afterwards....... they just train.....for emergencies maybe?

golach
21-Feb-08, 00:29
I was told that the nimrods can't land in Wick because the runway is not long enough for them to take off afterwards....... they just train.....for emergencies maybe?
With the state of our aging Nimrod Squadrons, I am not surprised they are looking for places to land quickly, they are lucky they can stay up in the air these days

Cookerpebble
21-Feb-08, 00:38
don't know what it is about the nimrod, but I think its an amazing looking craft when in flight, especially down low over ackergill village.

Torvaig
21-Feb-08, 02:43
http://www.phillrawlins.com/images/xv244sm.jpg (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.phillrawlins.com/images/xv244.jpg)
Nimrod over Wick, courtesy Phill Rawlins

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 08:57
I've not seen any nimrods :( I realy want to though!

wavy davy
22-Feb-08, 17:56
Input welcome.

From the horse's mouth;

Thank you for your interest. The answer to your question is that the runway at Wick is neither long enough, nor strong enough to withstand a Nimrod landing. Hope you win the bet!

Regards

Fiona Carle
Admin Officer
Media and Communications Office
RAF Kinloss

Torvaig
22-Feb-08, 18:59
OK Davey; how much do we owe you......;) Or did I hear someone cry "All bets are off!"

wavy davy
23-Feb-08, 01:52
OK Davey; how much do we owe you......;) Or did I hear someone cry "All bets are off!"

Torvaig, No bets were made or implied. I thought (obviously wrongly) that somewhere within the huge well of knowledge that comprises the org someone woulg give me the answer I was looking for. The org failed me (siniff) so I emailed Kinloss and got the answer within 12 hours from the horse's mouth.
The moral being if you want the answer to a simple question don't ask an uninformed (or ununiformed) audience.

Torvaig
23-Feb-08, 03:45
It looks as if we don't have any pilots as members on here but most of them made good guesses as regards the length of the runways.....remember and tell your friend they got it wrong....cheers:lol:

plank
25-Feb-08, 22:53
Of course you can land a Nimrod at Wick, even this little old airport can handle a tiddler like a Nimrod:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/small/0/6/0/1290060.jpg

:lol:

Technically though it is possible to land a Mk1 or Mk2 at Wick, upto about 85-90% of MTOW within acceptable limits.

Operationally I guess the MOD don't really want them landing at Wick for a range of reasons hence their official reply.

Seen a Herc in there a few times but you can land them in a football field.

--
Plank

wavy davy
25-Feb-08, 23:38
Of course you can land a Nimrod at Wick, even this little old airport can handle a tiddler like a Nimrod:

:lol:

Technically though it is possible to land a Mk1 or Mk2 at Wick, upto about 85-90% of MTOW within acceptable limits.

Operationally I guess the MOD don't really want them landing at Wick for a range of reasons hence their official reply.

--
Plank

Plank, shame on you for suggesting that the MOD would tell porkies.However I'm now totally confused. Who do I believe?

Good job I haven't gone crowing to my mate yet.

Having landed, could it get off again?

johno
25-Feb-08, 23:44
I can mind Shackletons landing and taking-off from Wick. But no Nimrods.
i can just recall a Shackleton Squadron based at Wick, they used to be parked just about where the glass factory is now on the grass, think there were 7 or 8 of them here. Christ thats a long time ago. early 60,s :eek:,

plank
26-Feb-08, 09:23
Plank, shame on you for suggesting that the MOD would tell porkies.However I'm now totally confused. Who do I believe?

Good job I haven't gone crowing to my mate yet.

Having landed, could it get off again?

Not suggesting the're telling porkies just that they have there own operational reasons.

Apparently the Nimrods use Gibralter airport which is only 4 metres longer than runway than Wick so there is a good comparison. And if the 4 metres does take it out of limits they just need everyone to run to the back at take off!
:Razz:Razz

south view 7
26-Feb-08, 13:06
Nimrod flying over our house last week.http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/southview7/various004.jpg

superted
26-Feb-08, 16:45

--
Plank

Good use of pprune old man [lol]

plank
26-Feb-08, 23:10
Good use of pprune old man [lol]

I knew I was right, Just couldn't find the LDR for a Nimrod!
Still don't know now though. Worked the ACN/PCN the right way round though.....I think!!

:cool:

wavy davy
28-Feb-08, 01:29
I knew I was right, Just couldn't find the LDR for a Nimrod!
Still don't know now though. Worked the ACN/PCN the right way round though.....I think!!

:cool:

Could you two explain to the rest of us what you are talking about