PDA

View Full Version : Road Accident 3/1/08 Bridge End Thurso

Tyke
19-Feb-08, 14:31
I am looking for any independent witnesses to a road accident which occured at the traffic lights at the new Tesco,s on the 3rd of January of this year at about 1pm. It involved a Puegot 406, silver colour, turning right towards John O Groats and a silver coloured Puegot 407 heading towards Wick.
I am particulary looking for the driver of a black coloured Range Rover Discovery waiting to turn right into said supermarket. However I would be pleased to hear from any witness. There was plenty of people around at the time.

Please pm me. Thanks.

Tyke
20-Feb-08, 11:58
Thanks to all of you for reading the thread.

I should make clear that I am looking for witnesses in respect of an Insurance Claim and not a court case.

It was the first shopping day after the New Year and there was lots of potential witnesses about.

Please help if you can.

Boozeburglar
20-Feb-08, 14:58
So who hit who?

If you were turning right and the oncoming Wick bound car hit you because they failed to see you in time, it is still probably going to be a 50/50. If you turned right into the side of them I would favour their claim.

Saying that, I cannot remember the layout as it is now, how did it happen and what is the road layout?

I am presuming the insurance company want a description from you.

Last time I had a crash in Thurso a Toyota Landcruiser waved me across in front of them, and a car coming over the bridge undertook them and whacked me. I was going to Bridgend Building Supplies from Millbank Road.

No damage to my motor bar a scratched number plate, though the other car had a smashed in wing.

When it came to the insurance I admitted no fault. I suspect they had no insurance cover as the woman said it was her son's car and seemed overly upset.

I never heard anything more.

Is it a Land Rover Discovery or a Range Rover you are looking for?

I am sure if anyone remembered seeing anything they would have posted.

:)

Tyke
20-Feb-08, 16:15
One vehicle heading towards Wick, One turning right from Wick to Castletown. The vehicle heading to Castletown turned throught waiting traffic heading to Tesco's and both vehicles collided.

sphinx
20-Feb-08, 19:15
sounds like the car turing to castel town had prioity he must of been waved on with the filter lights turning right so the car heading towards wick should have stopped and waited thats wat it sounds like to me..................;)

webmannie
20-Feb-08, 19:42
CSI Thurso, can`t wait for the next episode!!

DeHaviLand
20-Feb-08, 19:43
Doesnt matter who's at fault, the guy needs a witness, not a barrack-room lawyer:roll:

orkneylass
20-Feb-08, 19:45
Doesnt matter who's at fault, the guy needs a witness, not a barrack-room lawyer:roll:

here here.......

whitewitch
20-Feb-08, 20:05
i think the filter lane should be on red when the the traffic is heading to wick or heading over the bridge, they have the filter light on when taffic are coming over from springpark and i think that this is enough. I think it is very hard to cross over towards springpark when the filter lane is on green and then if you are still waiting to go over when the lights turn red and the springpark one are on green you then get looks from the cars sitting waiting to come out of the springpark way.

Boozeburglar
20-Feb-08, 20:17
If there is a filter to allow traffic to take the right towards Castletown, traffic going to Wick should have a red light when it is lit.

You can of course turn right on the green without the filter if nothing is coming, but then you are crossing the oncoming lane and this usually counts against you.

Enjoyed the joke about Barrack room lawyer, but at least people are talking, and perhaps someone will remember something!

DeHaviLand
20-Feb-08, 20:23
If there is a filter to allow traffic to take the right towards Castletown, traffic going to Wick should have a red light when it is lit.

You can of course turn right on the green without the filter if nothing is coming, but then you are crossing the oncoming lane and this usually counts against you.

Enjoyed the joke about Barrack room lawyer, but at least people are talking, and perhaps someone will remember something!

The problem now is, because it has been discussed on here, any witness now coming forward could be deemed to be unreliable:(

gollach
20-Feb-08, 20:27
The problem now is, because it has been discussed on here, any witness now coming forward could be deemed to be unreliable:(

Unless someone deletes the thread quickly ;)

Tony
20-Feb-08, 22:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeHaviLand
The problem now is, because it has been discussed on here, any witness now coming forward could be deemed to be unreliable

Unless someone deletes the thread quickly ;)

Or could hire a famil/member of the SSP:)

Sorry just a little joke and no offence intended. I hope a witness comes forward.
The traffic lights are not the best and the ones at George Square are really stupid. If you are waiting at the lights at the Royal then you have to look up to see them change instead of looking forward like most normal lights. They were fine before they were upgraded/replaced.

Riffman
20-Feb-08, 22:54
The long and the short of it is the putting the entrance to Tescos were it is was just plain STUPID!!!!!!

Why not move it 100 yards up the road to where the lorries turn in?

Or at the very least PHASE the traffic lights CORRECTLY so that there is no turning across the oncoming traffic.

I have lost count of the number of times I am leaving Thurso and heading across the box only to find the driver in front jam on their brakes and indicate ONCE THEY ARE IN THE BOX and thus blocking up the WHOLE junction. [mad]

cd1977
21-Feb-08, 11:09
Totally agree with the above. The road layout is a joke and would not be tolerated in the city. People frequently indicate late and then, as you say Riffman, block the whole junction. The whole thing is an accident waiting to happen.

Tesco should be FORCED to rectify the problem.

But, hey, as long as we get our cheap shopping who cares :roll: eh?

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 11:21
Totally agree with the above. The road layout is a joke and would not be tolerated in the city. People frequently indicate late and then, as you say Riffman, block the whole junction. The whole thing is an accident waiting to happen.

Tesco should be FORCED to rectify the problem.

But, hey, as long as we get our cheap shopping who cares :roll: eh?

Do tesco own the road that the junction is on? I don't think so

Bobinovich
21-Feb-08, 11:28
Which is why I sincerely hope that whichever retail group end up on the old Mart site are made to do a well thought out traffic solution for the Princes Street / Ormlie Road / Castlegreen Road / Lovers Lane / Station Car Park junction. With that number of offshoots the only reasonable method IMO would be a roundabout.

rob16d
21-Feb-08, 11:34
I can't wait to see what's going to become of the mart! I heard ASDA is a no-no :( Maybe........Hmmm....I think we should get a similar set up to Wick's Homebase, pets at home etc. A row of chain stores....it will keep money coming into thurso, a roundabout would be cool....but the mart's on a slope!

poppett
21-Feb-08, 11:36
For a short period of time around the festive period the lights at Tesco went completely loopy.

Coming from Castletown to turn right on the green the traffic was still pelting over the bridge towards Wick......and their lights were green too.

Could this have been a contributing factor to the incident?

cd1977
21-Feb-08, 13:49
Not the point I was making, Rob16D. Ownership of the road is not the issue. The issue is that people are waiting to turn into Tesco at an inappropriate part of an extremely busy junction.

Tesco should be made to set that right.

Murdina Bug
21-Feb-08, 13:59
Not the point I was making, Rob16D. Ownership of the road is not the issue. The issue is that people are waiting to turn into Tesco at an inappropriate part of an extremely busy junction.

Tesco should be made to set that right.

Why??? Just because it is outside their shop? That's madness! This is the A9, a trunk road and so is nationally managed (don't have time to google for who by, sorry!). The issue is that the road junction is badly aligned, not correctly marked and with badly timed lights and driven on by incompetant drivers who do not know how to pass each other behind instead of crossing in front! The issue is not that there happens to be a Tesco there! And, by the way, it was Somerfield before that with the same road layout so how come you weren't baying for them to fix the junction?

DeHaviLand
21-Feb-08, 14:05
Its not uncommon for private businesses to have to pay for road re-alignments, safety measures etc. And Scotland Trans-serv are only responsible for maintenance.

cd1977
21-Feb-08, 15:48
Somerfield/Tesco whoever :roll:

If the entrance to the store was not situated there, the problem would not exist.

Simple solution - move the entrance to the store. As I have said, and I will repeat, it matters not who is responsible for the road. The issue is the traffic heading to the shop. The junction would be problem free without it.

gollach
22-Feb-08, 00:26
Agreed. Move the entrance to the store to improve safety, although I doubt that payment for this could be enforced upon Tesco as there was no planning consent required, they just bought an existing shop.

As for Asda and the possibility of Thurso's mart site, think about the work that the then Safeway and M&S were forced to pay for the redesign of the junction at the Gyle in Edinburgh. These things can (and should!) be written into planning consent. I for one would welcome a safer route for children making their way to and from the school.

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-08, 00:32
I just started a college course at Thuso and went though those lights yesterday and today going to and from college.
Thank god I managed it safely.
However I have planned a new route for tommorow down past the rugby ground just to be on the safe side.

theone
22-Feb-08, 02:23
Although not the cause of the accident, the lights at Tesco and at the royal are badly set up.

Why, when coming in the wick road, is there not a "left turn only" light, allowing cars into tesco when the lights from castletown are green? My only thought is the green man on the pedestrian crossing, but this shouldn't be activated unless a button is pressed.

Why, when the skinandis lights are green can the left hand lane at the royal not go? It used to be set up so that they could, but anyone who has been stuck in the dounreay traffic will know this is very frustrating.

Room for improvement methinks.

elamanya
22-Feb-08, 13:20
what a brill post the poor person asked for a witness.... we have had road re alingments , major shopping complexes being built... lol. fantastic

Tyke
25-Feb-08, 18:28
what a brill post the poor person asked for a witness.... we have had road re alingments , major shopping complexes being built... lol. fantastic

Thanks for everyone's imput. You should all be in the Council's Highway Department and then we might have some decent roads. My solution is Tesco's should stay where it is, MacDonald's should be on the other corner with B&Q opposite that. Fun eh.

By the way still looking for a witness. One will do, thanks.