PDA

View Full Version : What is the best cure for a hangover???

Rie
17-Feb-08, 18:46
Does any one know of a good way of getting rid of a hangover???
After a great "orgers" night out last night, i awoke thismorning with a hangover (for only the second time in my life) and as i plan on enjoying more nights out (if i am invited again!) i would like to know the best tips (besides drink lots of water) of surviving a hangover.[smirk]

ANNIE
17-Feb-08, 18:51
Usually drink less or not at all helps but thats not so much fun. A good brisk walk reguardless of how you feel when you wake up and then a cooked breakfast usually does it for me. Was out last night too way too much wine but felt top o the world this morning just lucky this time I guess :D

young_fishin_neep
17-Feb-08, 18:53
hahahahahahahahaha rie!!!!! well i never had a hangover just a bit croaky lol, i had chips cheese and gravy when i got home at lunch time to first thing i ate all day was great, you should have drunk more water last night :p atleast you had a good time though

kazzii xxxxxxxxx

Julia
17-Feb-08, 18:54
Water, water and more water, you're hungover because you're dehydrated. Water combats dehydration. So, if you didn't drink water before going to bed, then drink a pint of water every hour of the day and try to get as much sleep as possible. Your body is working extra hard to rectify the mess you've made of your internal organs. This will make you sluggish.

alanatkie
17-Feb-08, 19:01
Aww poor Rie.
Maybe you should have stuck to the same drink all night :lol:

Pint of water & a couple o painkillers before bed usually helps me & if still bad in morn, a nice cuppa & some toast.

young_fishin_neep
17-Feb-08, 19:08
i rekon its bob and bobs fault they introduced her to the morgans and coke, i tried to tell her it was dangerous but nobody listens to me :p

kazzii xxxxxx

justine
17-Feb-08, 19:11
sorry you are suffering.Got no remedies as i dont drink..But i have heard a glass of milk with three eggs and CASTEROIL IS SUPPOSED TO HELP...

also if you drink a pint of milk before you go out you should not suffer a hangover...

floyed
17-Feb-08, 19:16
I drink lots of water and a couple of paracetemols before i go to bed usually helps and feel fine in the morning:D

Bobinovich
17-Feb-08, 19:33
i rekon its bob and bobs fault they introduced her to the morgans and coke, i tried to tell her it was dangerous but nobody listens to me

kazzii xxxxxx

Cheeky bessom ;) It's better than that Raspberry Daiquiri stuff you had :eek:. I'm absolving myself of any responsibility - it was Rie who said she'd drink anything - we could have had her on Cherry Sourz, Malibu, Dooleys and many other concoctions, so surely Morgans is the lesser of the evils!!!

Good night tho' so thanks to all who turned up to make it so enjoyable...

sweetpea
17-Feb-08, 19:44
Irn Bru works wonders for me, usually wake up thirsty and take the bottle back to bed with me. Other than that a good fry up.

young_fishin_neep
17-Feb-08, 19:46
Cheeky bessom It's better than that Raspberry Daiquiri stuff you had :eek:. I'm absolving myself of any responsibility - it was Rie who said she'd drink anything - we could have had her on Cherry Sourz, Malibu, Dooleys and many other concoctions, so surely Morgans is the lesser of the evils!!!

Good night tho' so thanks to all who turned up to make it so enjoyable...

lol actualy it was mum who sugested i would like rasberry daiquiri, hence the reason i stil picked up a bottle of bacardi incase i didnt like it, owell you have the bacardi at yours for next time :p

kazzii xxxxx

had to take out a smile of yours as it was limited *sad face*

twiglet
17-Feb-08, 20:02
Aw poor Rie, but great to know that you had a good time last night. Have to drink a bit more water next time. You had the brisk walk home.

Had a really good time and no hangover for me but like fishin neep I had a croaky voice. I only had 1 glass of wine all night and plenty of water. (pissing like a racehorse this morning tho).

young_fishin_neep
17-Feb-08, 20:31
lol twiglet, i was like that last night i always do, if im drinking when i go to the toilet i genrally back and forth all night its anoying!

kazzii xxxxxx

Rie
17-Feb-08, 21:03
I agee that i should probably have stuck to the same drink all night, but my body is used to switching from vodka to rum.
finaly found what cured my hangover, Roast beef dinner, i must have drank pints and pints of water, but in the end my body was crying out to be fed!!:roll:

lasher
17-Feb-08, 21:05
The best cure for a hangover is a pint!!

young_fishin_neep
17-Feb-08, 21:15
The best cure for a hangover is a pint!!

hair of the dog an all that lol

kazzii xxxx

linkside
17-Feb-08, 21:50
Hi, I usually drink Lucozade in the morning if I've a hangover but, I'm quite lucky tho don't get many..........http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

rockchick
17-Feb-08, 22:06
Best cure for a hangover is prevention!

If you follow the three rules of drinking (plus one follow-up) you won't ever get hangovers!

Rule No. 1: NEVER drink on an empty stomach

Rule No. 2: NEVER mix your drinks - pick one thing, whether its beer, wine, rum'n'coke, or whatever, and stick with it.

Rule No. 3: Get up and walk around at least once an hour when you're drinking. We tend to get drunk from the bottom up...but if you get up and move, your body will equalize and your brain will realize how much alcohol you're taking in. Nothing worse than getting up after six hours of socializing with friends to find out that you have NO feet/legs!

Follow-up: Drink at least a pint of water before you go to bed.

I guarantee that, if you follow these rules, you won't get hangovers!

However, if, as so many do, you fall short, nothings better than Irn-Bru in the morning to make you feel human again.

TBH
17-Feb-08, 22:30
sorry you are suffering.Got no remedies as i dont drink..But i have heard a glass of milk with three eggs and CASTEROIL IS SUPPOSED TO HELP...
It will certainly evacuate your bowels for you.:D

miranda
17-Feb-08, 22:33
i ALWAYS hev a good drink of water b4 bed and if fit a cup of coffee/tea and i havnt had a headache when i got up:)

NLP
17-Feb-08, 22:49
Don't drink now but I used to swear by tomato juice, I always took some in if I was going out.

Rie
17-Feb-08, 23:10
Normaly i am good and always make sure i eat b4 i go out, and drink water or coke aswell as alcohol, then loads of water through the night and next morning but for some reason it didnt work this time, oh well , might have lerned a lesson, stick to one type of drink!

quiteone
17-Feb-08, 23:33
iv seen me have nothing to eat, mix my drinks all nite and be fine the next day. on other occasions iv had 2 glasses of wine and been spuing all day................its a hit or a miss with my hangovers!! also when at motor bike rallys and u are drinking day and night i never have a hangover i put it down to sleeping in a tent!! all the fresh air [lol]

j4bberw0ck
18-Feb-08, 00:11
Double standards, anyone?

sphinx
18-Feb-08, 08:03
best cure is take more;)

johnlc
18-Feb-08, 08:17
the best thing is to have an ice lolly in the morning:)

silverfox57
18-Feb-08, 13:18
the very best cure for hangover, is not to drink, life can be great without having .to take any form of drug,

wifie
19-Feb-08, 23:17
re-hydration, re-hydration, re-hydration Learnt the other day that the quickest re-hydrating drink is a glass of water with a pinch of salt and a spoon of sugar stirred in. Did not need it myself - OH and I were fine - thanks for a great night!

KCI
19-Feb-08, 23:37
Years ago, I could have a couple of cans of coke, then off back to the pub by 11am - that would sort my hangover out!

Nowadays, if I have a hangover - that's it! Nothing works, I just have to stay still until the next day, when the room has stopped spinning and I can move without being sick! [disgust]

I suppose that's what happens when you get old!!:lol:

George Brims
19-Feb-08, 23:39
I drink lots of water and a couple of paracetemols before i go to bed usually helps and feel fine in the morning:D

DO NOT DO THAT! Paracetamol and alcohol do not mix. There was a case a few years ago of a guy who needed a liver transplant because he habitually used paracetamol for hangovers. Use ibuprofen, or aspirin. I know those are harder on your stomach, but they don't have the same bad combination with alcohol.

George Brims
19-Feb-08, 23:42
re-hydration, re-hydration, re-hydration Learnt the other day that the quickest re-hydrating drink is a glass of water with a pinch of salt and a spoon of sugar stirred in. Did not need it myself - OH and I were fine - thanks for a great night!
If you buy that in a bottle it's called Gatorade, at least in the US. The college football team at the University of Florida (the Gators) used to suffer from cramping and dehydration due to the warm humid climate in Florida. Some of the medical faculty took a look at the problem and discovered that not only do you rehydrate better, but you also absorb salt that you're losing through sweat *if* the sugar is present. They patented the drink and made a fortune for the University.

Fran
20-Feb-08, 04:10
There was a good programme on television recently about drink and hangovers. It stated that a fry up breakfast is very good for hangovers as it puts a lining on your stomach and absorbs alcohol. also eat before you start drinking and eat sandwiches while you are out drinking. Drink plenty of water to cure a hangover ..

JAWS
20-Feb-08, 04:40
Hangover cure? Simple, just stay drunk! Other than that, I agree with wifie, plenty of water before you retire for the night. If you've had a heavy session then at least a couple of glasses.

For the body to break alcohol down it take an equal amount of water. If you do not have enough water in your digestive system then it is taken from elsewhere in your body, hence the dry mouth etc. in the morning. It's best to provide the water before it's required rather than have to replace it after.

bobbyrussell09
20-Feb-08, 12:31
mine would be drink lots off irn bru ,always works for me

bobbyrussell09
20-Feb-08, 12:33
or a hair off the dog while watching sum footie lol

Hibeechick
20-Feb-08, 13:28
Cant drink water after being out drinking :(

A bottle of irn-bru and a bacon roll if its needed. I usually stick to one drink and don't normally wake up with hangovers, but there has been the odd time that the cure is needed.