PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Borealis

Tugmistress
26-Oct-05, 14:57
piccy taken last night in Norway

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/images2005/25oct05/Andreassen3b.jpg

AURORA WATCH: A solar wind stream is gently buffeting Earth's magnetic field. It's not much--but it doesn't take much to spark auroras in some places. More auroras are possible tonight over Alaska, Canada and Scandinavia.

So if possible either side of us, maybe a weak chance if we have the clear skies :confused

lelebo
26-Oct-05, 15:22
WOW!!! :eek: absolutely beautiful!

Tugmistress
26-Oct-05, 15:47
just had a look at the global map, we will probably be too far south, even here :(

weeboyagee
26-Oct-05, 17:05
Last night looking north from my door in Thrumster I could see the "searchlights" very faintly in the sky - I said to the folk who were with me that there were going to be Northern Lights in the sky later on - and there were - very, very faintly - I didn't have time to boot up the computer and see what the scale said on magnetic activity. You get a good clear view of them on a cold night on Ulbster Hill because you are high up and can see way over the north flatlands of Caithness.

porshiepoo
26-Oct-05, 21:58
Do we have to have clear still days and nights to see the lights!
Just trying to find out whether there are indicators to watch for that may suggest the lights will appear :)

paris
27-Oct-05, 10:08
We were very lucky to of seen the lights when we lived in caithness, and what a spooky thing it was . I thought a spaceship was up above our place, will certainly miss things like that. :~(