PDA

View Full Version : Suicide

Ash
16-Feb-08, 20:36
has anyone else the news about the two cousins in wales who commited suicide within days of each other, its soo sad.... there has also been many other suicides here is the link

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1305690,00.html

:~(

Dadie
16-Feb-08, 20:38
yeh saw it on the news there has been a spate of suicides in the young adult/teenagers age group within a small area its scary to think what they must have been thinking!

ciderally
16-Feb-08, 20:40
have been keeping up with that report..real scary as they are all on bebo as well..

justine
16-Feb-08, 20:54
Yes this is a very sad thing that is happening in bridgend.Makes you wonder what on earth is going on there to have so many teens commiting suicide...More to the point hanging themselves....:(

sweetpea
16-Feb-08, 22:33
I'm not sure what to make of this except to say I don't believe this bebo/ having a memorial site thing?? My cousin and his 2 mates completed suicide within 3 weeks of each other a few years ago, they were mates since before they started school and played football in the highland league,very talented young men, so close to each other. The only thing they had in common was very distressful relationships with their ex partners and not getting to see their bairns. They all hung themselves. People say it was a pact but I don't believe that. They hurt and had no help or understanding. I think they were in pain, pure and simple.

JAWS
16-Feb-08, 23:00
The only people who seem to be intent on "blaming" either Bebo or the Internet are the Media.

It would appear that there are no links between many of those involved and, apart from wild speculation, there is no indication that there is any sort of "Suicide Cult" involving the Internet either in Bridgend or elsewhere for that matter.
Some idiot even went so far as to float the idea that the suicides were being carried out as a method of achieving a form of Cyber Immortality by becoming the subject of a Tribute Site.

Even the report indicated, which is by no means sensational, contains nothing which would indicate that the majority of those involved know one another. In fact, the only definite statement is that most of them are totally unconnected.

Once you sift out the Media speculation what is left is a series of mainly unrelated tragedies. Not that, I suspect, the fact that they are mainly unrelated would be of any consolation to the relatives and friends.

I would think that it would be of far more benefit for those in the area to try and find out why so many young people in the area are ending up in a suicidal state of mind.
Doing that, however, means doing some very hard thinking. How much easier it is just to blame Bebo and push the whole matter to the back of their minds because it's no longer their problem.

karia
16-Feb-08, 23:01
Almost a decade on from my friend committing suicide and I have no better idea as to why....I suspect it's a lifelong legacy!:~(

hotrod4
17-Feb-08, 12:31
From a personal point of view I know what the families are going through.
Its never an easy thing to deal with, its those left behind that have to "pick up the pieces".
It is rather strange why so many young folk have done it in such a small area in such a short time. As stated previously its easy for the media to blame the internet , after all it gets the blame for everything!!!
An inquiry needs to be started to help the families and find out why so many of them felt the need to end it all. If not speculation will continue and there will be no closure for the families, hope they can find some peace.

TBH
17-Feb-08, 16:41
have been keeping up with that report..real scary as they are all on bebo as well..Does bebo cause people to kill themselves, you never now?

Valerie Campbell
17-Feb-08, 19:41
It's incredibly sad that those who have taken their lives couldn't bring themselves to talk about their thoughts, feelings etc, but so many people are like this. They see it as a very private and personal thing and don't see how anyone can help them. As hotrod4 says its the ones left behind that have to pick up the pieces.

TBH
17-Feb-08, 22:36
It's incredibly sad that those who have taken their lives couldn't bring themselves to talk about their thoughts, feelings etc, but so many people are like this. They see it as a very private and personal thing and don't see how anyone can help them. As hotrod4 says its the ones left behind that have to pick up the pieces.I'd think that the ones left behind are not foremost in the thoughts of someone depressed enough to take their own life. Quite often they are described as having been selfish.

sphinx
18-Feb-08, 08:17
such a sad waste of youbg lives i feel for there familys..............

justine
19-Mar-08, 13:51
Just in the breaking news, they are blaming drugs for the suicides in bridgend..........

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1309965,00.html

moureen
19-Mar-08, 20:54
I donot have any answers for the suicides in Bridgend any more than I have for the 36 completed suicides in Inverness and surounding area in the summer of 2004,the media tried to connect the "3 foot ball players"but seemed to forget the other young men who took their lives that summer my son included.You could not open a paper it was always "the three foot ball players that suicided" but were they linked in any way apart from playing foot ball together I do'nt know.But one thing I do know is that my son desperately tried to get help for his illness but no one lisened to him he did speak out he tried so hard but in the end Phillips depression won.Moureen{Phills Mam always}.

Ash
19-Mar-08, 20:58
I donot have any answers for the suicides in Bridgend any more than I have for the 36 completed suicides in Inverness and surounding area in the summer of 2004,the media tried to connect the "3 foot ball players"but seemed to forget the other young men who took their lives that summer my son included.You could not open a paper it was always "the three foot ball players that suicided" but were they linked in any way apart from playing foot ball together I do'nt know.But one thing I do know is that my son desperately tried to get help for his illness but no one lisened to him he did speak out he tried so hard but in the end Phillips depression won.Moureen{Phills Mam always}.

i never heard of the above sucides, in my opinion the media make it worse, im so sorry for ur loss