PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy Software

domino
14-Feb-08, 21:07
I do not know if this is really the place for this topic. I use Legacy Software and wondered what others use > i find legacy really good and wonder what other users think of their software.
Domino

lindadorren
14-Feb-08, 23:31
I use Family Tree Maker and have done so now for several years. I find it good but then I haven't tried any others, the thought of shifting all the info terrifies me!!

Linda

domino
15-Feb-08, 00:04
yes, I know the feeling,but, nothing ventured!!
Domino

domino
15-Feb-08, 00:06
Can you import gedcom files with Family Tree maker?
domino

Oddquine
15-Feb-08, 01:55
I use Legacy....the free version. I have tried others, but find this is a keeper.

robynaus
15-Feb-08, 22:38
Can you import gedcom files with Family Tree maker?
domino
I use FTM and yes you can import/export gedcom files and the report facility is in Word format regards robyn

Tricia
16-Feb-08, 14:00
I have for years used Family Historian
it is a UK designed product.
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Has also a user group which is really helpful.
Tricia

Christina Baldwin
20-Mar-08, 09:02
I use Legacy Deluxe and find it brilliant. I also use the associated Passage Express programme and have made some very sophisticated CDs to send out to family. The data transfers from Legacy to Passage Express and then can be easily put into many different multi media forms. Once the work is finished it is just a matter of minutes to burn off CDs or DVDs. The only problem I had was that they are not compatible with Mac and since I sent them all round the world they sure enough landed with Mac users who couldn't open them - but they generally found a PC to use.

Christina
New Zealand

domino
20-Mar-08, 20:41
Yes I find Legacy really good,have not tried the Passage program but will give it a go in the near future.
I downloaded the Legacy Charting program but have not tried it yet.
Have you tried importing Gedcom files into legacy?

Oddquine
20-Mar-08, 22:30
They import OK.

Christina Baldwin
21-Mar-08, 10:22
Yes I have imported two very large GEDCOMS successfully and easily into Legacy Deluxe. I then found the split screen feature very useful to compare the GEDCOM data with an existing family file.

anneoctober
06-Apr-08, 00:54
I've been footerin aboot wi the Genes Reunited site for my tree, but want to have something which I have some control over ( LONG story) what's the best software for a complete novice? Thanks in anticipation;)

airdlass
06-Apr-08, 08:59
I have used Family Tree Maker for several years but I also use this site aswell:
http://www.tribalpages.com/
You can set it with a password so that you can choose how much you allow folk to see. It's free to use but you can upgrade for more options. It's very easy to use.

domino
06-Apr-08, 19:09
Recommend Legacy. It is free and fairly easy to use
Domino

anneoctober
06-Apr-08, 19:56
Many thanks ladies, will let you know how I get on with your suggestions - as always Orgers never let you down. Anne xxx