PDA

View Full Version : Save Highland Carers Project.

cuddlepop
13-Feb-08, 10:28
The following was received through the opost yesterday.

' there have been recent news/press articles regarding the proposed removal of core funding to Highland Community Care Forum - this will directly impact the ability of Highland Carers Project and it's network to continue functioning, for example:

There will be no adcice/information line availailable to carers
no local access grants for holidays, household goods, driving lessons etc.
Advocacy support will be no longer available
The support of Carers Connect via the telephone, particularly in rural areas, will cease.
Young carers will no longer be able to receive support nor will there be the opportunity to participate and influence strategic development for young carers in Highland.The Highland Council will make their final decision at a special meeting on Thursday 14th February.

The letter goes on to say that they, The Highland Carers project, have been given very little warning but urge all carers to make their views known to their councillor. I would ask that you do likewise as I am sure if you think for a moment you will know a carer close to you. Help support,advice, respite, training etc, albeit limited may be about to be withdrawn. £300,000 on fireworks?
Priorities have got somewhat muddled me thinks and its about time the councillors did what they were elected to do and thats what the people who elected them want.:mad:

cuddlepop
13-Feb-08, 15:21
This might not effect you today but stop and think, the time may come when you too may be a carer and Highland Council will have removed the funding for this voluntary agency.
Dont kid yourself that social work will support you,you'll just get left too sink.:(

cuddlepop
14-Feb-08, 17:51
Council decision today.

It was agreed to defer a decision to reduce core funding to Highland Community Care Forum. Instead the Council agreed to provide six months notice of any changes to HCCF and NHS Highland and this period will be used to discuss and determine how services will be provided in future.
Where the identified savings were not realised they would be met from further efficiency savings identified from the Social Work Services. The Council remained committed to promoting the work of the Highland Users Group and work to support carers.

The Council aknowledge we need a carers service but are reluctant to carry on funding it.
I'm confused.....

Get back to you all in 6 months.:(

poppett
16-Feb-08, 18:40
The letter arrived in the post the day of the meeting, so it smacked of a decision already made. Having no idea who was attending the meeting from Caithness I contacted our MP by text message to make my feelings known. I have had wonderful support from the HCF over the last two years in particular and have given their details to others in need of help who have received support.

Also in the mail that day was a leaflet about HCF supplied by the council for me as I am a "Key holding carer" for my father, sent by social services!

Perhaps we should get a petition on the Org long before the six months is up and make our thoughts known to the Council on their penny pinching attitude towards charitable causes......Surely charity still begins at home.