PDA

View Full Version : public water supply

spurtle
10-Feb-08, 13:29
About to get a mains supply for the first time - just happened to have a glass of tap water in a friends house yesterday. This was a very unpleasant experience. How much chloirine are they chucking in our water? It is absolutely disgusting. Surely SW are obliged to maintain a reasonably potable supply. You could small it before you tasted it - just like a swimming pool. Was this a one-off, or do most people have this problem?

dandod
10-Feb-08, 13:32
our supply is the same. sometimes the smell is so strong i cant drink it. notr sure if its supposed to be like this.

Liz
10-Feb-08, 13:55
It is Chloramine which is in the water supply now and at times it smells and tastes awful!:roll:

My neighbour and I complained to Scottish Water and they carried out tests which all came back 'normal'.

Luckily I have a water filter which removes Chloramine so my drinking water is fine but not nice to think we are bathing etc in this!:confused

spurtle
10-Feb-08, 14:18
What you say is quite worrying, Liz. Why should anyone be forced to accept chemicals in something as basic as water, at the levels that seem to be present? Perhaps I notice it more, having been used to lovely, natural untreated Caithness water. We are all going to be completely hopeless at dealing with natural bugs at this rate.

northener
10-Feb-08, 14:35
What you say is quite worrying, Liz. Why should anyone be forced to accept chemicals in something as basic as water, at the levels that seem to be present? Perhaps I notice it more, having been used to lovely, natural untreated Caithness water. We are all going to be completely hopeless at dealing with natural bugs at this rate.

Why are you going on Mains, Spurtle? Is it a supply problem or some other issue?

Just interested to know!

spurtle
10-Feb-08, 15:01
Very complicated, but we are now the only ones left on the old Yarrows supply, and because the flow is so restricted now, it gives us some very bitty, bad-looking water that wrecks baths, etc.. Lovely dark stuff, though and never been a problem in the past. Having tried the alternative, I know what I would prefer. Seriously looking at doing a borehole instead. Certainly can't live with the level of chemical input that the new supply is likely to contain. God knows what else they spike it with

hammers
10-Feb-08, 15:16
Scottish waters solution to the taste of chlorine is to fill a jug with water and leave it to settle in your fridge.This gets rid of the majority of the taste.Not ideal,even when you switch on the shower it stinks of chlorine.

oldchemist
10-Feb-08, 21:03
I'd stick with the natural supply - just downstream of the dead sheep.

Dog-eared
10-Feb-08, 21:10
As far as I know , leaving water to sit for a while does get rid of chlorine , but unfortunately it's chloramine thats now added , as it doesn't evaporate off.
If you keep a tank of fish you have to buy a neutralising additive, not just stand the water for a while.

Do we still have Flouride in the water ?
Didnt Hitler experiment with Flouride in water to control people ?? :eek:

emszxr
10-Feb-08, 21:15
ta, ill stay with mine that comes off the hill

Rourkee
10-Feb-08, 21:56
Ran a bath for the kids last night and it smelt heavily of chlorine, my eldest even complained that her eyes were nipping just like at the swimming pool.

ywindythesecond
12-Feb-08, 00:42
About to get a mains supply for the first time - just happened to have a glass of tap water in a friends house yesterday. This was a very unpleasant experience. How much chloirine are they chucking in our water? It is absolutely disgusting. Surely SW are obliged to maintain a reasonably potable supply. You could small it before you tasted it - just like a swimming pool. Was this a one-off, or do most people have this problem?

There was a letter in the Groat last Friday from the water company about this.

~~Tides~~
12-Feb-08, 21:23
It was a couple of years ago when they changed the water supply from Yarrows to Loch Calder that I really noticed the difference. The water used to be the best tasting water, probably in the whole world. But then they went and spoiled it. Prince Charles opened the new pumping/purifying station near Halkirk and said how worried he was that now our water contained nothing natural at all that all our immune systems would be affected.
I think that was the story...

Green_not_greed
12-Feb-08, 21:46
Didnt Hitler experiment with Flouride in water to control people ?? :eek:

That'll be the right-wing fluoride, then? As opposed to the left-wing commie fluoride...

http://www.maebrussell.com/Fluoride/Fluoride%20-%20Commie%20Plot%20or%20Capitalist%20Ploy.html

rfr10
12-Feb-08, 21:58
From the mouth of a Scottish Water employee, aparantly, for as long as Scottish Water believe that the majority of the public have no problem with the water, the supply will remain the same. If you want the taste of chlorine to disappear then you will have to get as many people as possible to complain to Scottish Water either by post or phone.

Head Office:
Castle House
6 Castle Drive
Carnegie Campus
Dunfermline
KY11 8GG

Customer Service Helpline – 0845 601 8855

spurtle
13-Feb-08, 10:19
Thanks for that = I will certainly be writing - there is no public health need for them to contaminate our water with disgusting chemicals. Does anyone know the long-term effects?

If humans were organic livestock, it would not be allowed - why should we accept contamination at the level we are getting, when simple monitoring ought to be sufficient in a place like Caithness.