PDA

View Full Version : Winds coming?

bekisman
08-Feb-08, 13:58
Here; 'out west' we're being hit right now by Wheelybin weather (Force 10?) looks like it's heading towards Thurso/Wick? we've just lost some guttering..

groatsgirl
08-Feb-08, 14:01
Wind's Bad out here at John O' Groats at the moment , not sure if it's forecast all day ?

badger
08-Feb-08, 14:06
Thanks for the warning but they're here. I couldn't believe how windy it was outside and Thurso is apparently the same. Lured out by the sunshine, and ashamed of my mud-covered car, I decided it was a good idea to wash it. Bad idea - very. Car is now cleaner but I'm soaked. Still it was bracing and the sun is wonderful. Lovely to see blue skies.

My clematis, which was very thick and tangled, blew right down in an earlier gale so all I could do was chop it off at the bottom. It was dumped by the fence waiting for me to decide what to do with it - huge big tangle of branches. Looked round while washing the car and saw it blowing through the big gate. It then charged down the track with me in hot pursuit - amazingly difficult to catch and even harder to drag back up. Fortunately no-one looking (I think :eek: ) .

bluelady
08-Feb-08, 14:18
Here; 'out west' we're being hit right now by Wheelybin weather (Force 10?) looks like it's heading towards Thurso/Wick? we've just lost some guttering..

The Wheeliebins pray for it, it's their chance for freedom where they can go gliding down e road on their own. http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/jpshakehead.gif Ok, Ok, I'll phone e men in white coats meself !
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

Tugmistress
08-Feb-08, 14:31
ok so it caught me out too, was expecting gusts of 35mph maybe 40mph which isn't worth mentioning, but just been gusting to 40mph now and i think it will be worst over tea time..... Thurso bay does look pretty though :D

skinnydog
08-Feb-08, 14:34
Just been out in Thurso and it is really, really windy. I could hardly get the door of my car open or shut it was so bad. Haven't seen a forecast so is this meant to quickly pass over or do we have it for the weekend? By the time I get home tonight my washing will be in Orkney!! Serves me right for putting it out today but I was only trying to do my bit for the environment (and my electric bill) and not have to put on the tumble drier. :~(

footie chick
08-Feb-08, 14:38
By the time I get home tonight my washing will be in Orkney!! Serves me right for putting it out today but I was only trying to do my bit for the environment (and my electric bill) and not have to put on the tumble drier. :~(

I put mine out today as well and the whirly thing broke washing now dirtier than before it went in the machine. Would have been cheaper putting it in the drier :roll:

skinnydog
08-Feb-08, 14:41
Ah ha - now there is an idea. If I rigged up something to my rotary drier I could maybe have my own mini wind turbine going!! Save even more electric???

mrsmo
08-Feb-08, 14:55
dont complain at least its not raining!!

orkneylass
08-Feb-08, 17:44
Currently exceptionally wild in Orkney

Valerie Campbell
08-Feb-08, 19:18
Ah ha - now there is an idea. If I rigged up something to my rotary drier I could maybe have my own mini wind turbine going!! Save even more electric???

I like the way you think! Been blowing a bit here too today. Was too windy for my washing going out.

cuddlepop
08-Feb-08, 19:22
We had them this morning,blowie,springs to mind.:eek:

bobandag16
08-Feb-08, 19:55
We had them this morning,blowie,springs to mind.:eek:
just a wee breeze. caithness style . 80 to 90 before they seem to mind .hardy lot.

Tighsonas4
08-Feb-08, 20:51
ok so it caught me out too, was expecting gusts of 35mph maybe 40mph which isn't worth mentioning, but just been gusting to 40mph now and i think it will be worst over tea time..... Thurso bay does look pretty though :D
good to see your still with us tuggs wondered how the wind got here before you did lol tony

Bobinovich
08-Feb-08, 23:03
Was filling my car up at Tesco in Wick today and was getting battered like haddock in a chippy! - it's mighty exposed there!

Cinders392
08-Feb-08, 23:10
Wheely Bin weather!! He he I like it.
I was at Tesco and putting one of the bairns in the car from the trolley, when I went back to get the other out the trolley the trolley was blowing across the car park with my son in it (who was loving the fun ride!) I ran like a swastika to catch it and caught it 1 metre away from a car. Was so lucky. I saw my life flash before my eyes, son thought it was the best moment of his life! Even thinking about it now gives me a scare. I learnt my lesson
Very exposed up there

Sapphire2803
08-Feb-08, 23:21
Was filling my car up at Tesco in Wick today and was getting battered like haddock in a chippy! - it's mighty exposed there!

:lol: Oh, that's gonna be my new saying, thanks for that.

You're right though, those pumps are a tad exposed, especially the furthest ones in. Brrrrr