PDA

View Full Version : The need for tar - Access Tracks

Para-Diddler
23-Oct-05, 13:25
Does anyone know if there are any regulations/restrictions on the number of houses allowed on one access track/road before it needs to be tarred??

Secondly if there are - who is responsible for tarring?

Is it the Local Council, shared between the householders or the last householded that took the number over a specific limit??
[para]

motopitcrew
23-Oct-05, 13:37
i think its 3 and that the council is responsable

EDDIE
23-Oct-05, 13:44
Well every thing depends on if the track road is privately own or not if it is then everyone who uses it would have to take an equal share in the cost of tarring it.if the council owns the road then its there decision to tar it or not.
But if its private track road were the people in the houses have to pay for it i would still contact the council and ask for permission to tar first.The council work in strange ways and if you tar it without consent from them they can order you to dig it up again or they will dig it up and give you huge bill in the process for doing it And u cant win with the council they have the final say.

badger
23-Oct-05, 17:27
Having recent personal experience of this I think you'll find the owners of the 5th house built up any track have to tar the road from the beginning of the track to the first house up. They also have to create a turning space for service vehicles. If the other houses feel neighbourly they might contribute to the cost but it's actually down to the 5th house to do it. It has to conform to Council regulations and then they adopt it. Seems unfar but there it is. That was the last I heard but things do change.

porshiepoo
23-Oct-05, 17:32
Have just had experience of this too.
When you get to house number 5 thats when the track has to become council adopted with all the expense of tarmaccing, lights etc - up to 4 and it's ok as is.
The expense is not picked up by the council although it has to be highways that carry out the work, so I assume the cost is down to anyone who owns it. I'm not sure where this leaves you if you have only rights of access to the road though rather than owning it out right.
Also, I don't think it's the entire track that has to be council adopted, but just to the first property although you'd need to clarify that.

badger
23-Oct-05, 17:42
Don't think it's down to whoever owns it - certainly not in our case. It's the person who builds the 5th house that has to pay for it. Usually everyone using an unadopted track has an obligation to help maintain it but not always - sometimes you can have right of access without any obligation. The owner could be someone who just owns the land and lives elsewhere. It's all a bit complicated but the answer seems to be - make sure you're not the 5th planning consent!