PDA

View Full Version : Holes in ears

NLP
07-Feb-08, 15:00
My wee one is 2yr 7m and wants holes in her ears, we think she is too young but some thing she should get it done. What is everyones take on "holes in ears" when is old enough.

mccaugm
07-Feb-08, 15:05
Too young. IMHO it is a traumatic experience for a child, so until they are aware of what is going on leave them alone. I reckon somewhere after the age of 7 or 8 is fine.

Personally I cannot stand little kids with pierced ears -its not necessary and a painful thing to do.

Julia
07-Feb-08, 15:09
She may well want holes in her ears but she won't understand the process of how to get them there yet and that it will involve some pain. She is also at the age that she could get them caught on something when playing. My daughter has just turned 7 and wants hers done too, I think she's old enough now.

Ash
07-Feb-08, 15:10
i wouldnt do it, i think that its far too young, i would be shocked if my 4year old asked me that!

sam
07-Feb-08, 15:19
Years ago a friend of mine got her daughters ears pearced when she was just 2yr old, The child screamed with pain and there was a lot of blood ( due to the little one not being able to sit still ) Its not something i would recommend.

I was against my friend getting her daughters done but at the end of the day it was her decision and i couldnt make her change her mind, the child is to young to know any better but not the parent.

Suth11
07-Feb-08, 15:31
My mother told me I could get my ears peicered when I was 14 and no younger, well i never got them done untill i was 18 (im now 21) and they keep getting infected!

My lo is the same age but he is a boy, if he was a girl i would not be allow her to get it done until she was at least 14 either.

what if they get infected or they get caught when she's playing? i think she has plenty of years yet to decided if she wants it :)

Thumper
07-Feb-08, 15:34
My sons had thers done at 5, they now all have them removed!Oldest grew out of it,middle one had to get his removed in hospital becasue it had grown into the back of his ear :eek: and youngest took his out after a few weeks because he got it pulled out when playing.....thats just one ear so with both ears done is is even more of a possiblity that an accident will happen....IMO it would be better to wait until she is old enough to understand and also old enough to allow you to take care of her ears properly x

Mister Squiggle
07-Feb-08, 15:43
I got my ears pierced when I was 12 - my godmother had sent me some beautiful gemstone studs from South Africa and my Mum took me to our local salon to get my ears pierced.
IT HURT!!! I can actually still remember, very vividly, how blinking excrutiating it was. And afterwards, having to keep turning them, keeping them clean until the wounds had healed etc.
My mum had her ears pierced when she was in her 20's and a few days afterwards, after spending a day on the beach her earlobes (and quite a lot else of her) got badly sunburned. That night, getting into bed, the stud shot out of one of her ears across the room and my Dad swears to this day it nearly took his eye out. Apparently the pressure of her lobe swelling from the burn caused it to fire out like a bullet from a gun. Try explaining that one at Casualty.
Anyway, back to the initial point - I think 2, 3 etc is WAY too young as it really is painful and there are after-care issues too. Let her get it done when she's big girl and can look after her ears herself.

NLP
07-Feb-08, 15:46
A girl at toddlers had hers done at 6 months she is now 1 1/2 and it looks horrible.

Valerie Campbell
07-Feb-08, 15:50
I got mine pierced aged 10 but one of my studs got caught on a jumper and pulled the earring downwards. I now have a split in my lobe. So I would say no to you. Don't do it.

Angela
07-Feb-08, 15:56
middle one had to get his removed in hospital becasue it had grown into the back of his ear ...IMO it would be better to wait until she is old enough to understand and also old enough to allow you to take care of her ears properly x

Ah.....painful memories, Thumper!

I took my older daughter to have her ears pierced when she was nine. It hurt more than she'd expected....

She was old enough -with a bit of help and checking up -to look after her ears while the sleepers were in, but once she had studs, we'd the same experience you did.

Very sore swollen ear, she said she couldn't get the butterfly thingy out, I looked at it and thought " hmmm....it's already come out, hasn't it?".... I then realised it must be embedded in her earlobe....ewwww.... :eek:off to the sick kids!

Her younger sister was 12 before she wanted to have hers done! ;)

nicnak
07-Feb-08, 16:02
My friend had her daughters ears pierced at 6 months, there was no blood, no tears and she looked beautiful infact she still does some 16 years later. I think it is matter of personal judgement and should not really be influenced by other people.

Ash
07-Feb-08, 16:10
Very sore swollen ear, she said she couldn't get the butterfly thingy out, I looked at it and thought " hmmm....it's already come out, hasn't it?".... I then realised it must be embedded in her earlobe....ewwww.... :eek:off to the sick kids!

that happened to me years ago, had to get it surgically removed, remember i was put to sleep, my ear went slightly green still is, never had them done again!

alanatkie
07-Feb-08, 16:16
My daughter asked when she was 5 & her dad & i discussed it & decided she was too young yet. She then got them done when she was 7 I wouldn't get them done any earlier but it is your own opinion that counts.

Cattach
07-Feb-08, 16:19
My wee one is 2yr 7m and wants holes in her ears, we think she is too young but some thing she should get it done. What is everyones take on "holes in ears" when is old enough.

One word for it - 'ridiculous'. Not her but you for thinking and those who think it should be done are plain crazy.

scotsboy
07-Feb-08, 16:21
One word for it - 'ridiculous'. Not her but you for thinking and those who think it should be done are plain crazy.

Why? I see many babies with their ears pierced.

mccaugm
07-Feb-08, 16:24
My friend had her daughters ears pierced at 6 months, there was no blood, no tears and she looked beautiful infact she still does some 16 years later. I think it is matter of personal judgement and should not really be influenced by other people.

I cannot understand why someone would put a needle through a babies ear for purely costmetic reason. Thats cruel. Its bad enough when a baby/child needs to have an injection for medical reasons.

mccaugm
07-Feb-08, 16:26
Why? I see many babies with their ears pierced.

Why do people have their babies ears pierced?

lady penelope
07-Feb-08, 16:31
I personally feel it is up to the individual. Different cultures have various beliefs on piercing and each to their own, I say. Hygiene and someone you trust is a must though. At least it's the ears and not somewhere more unusual!:eek:

bobsgirl
07-Feb-08, 16:34
My little one was always going on about getting her ears pierced for ages, then one day my mate and I went down to Jewellers and asked about it there. The jeweller was quite happy to do it for her if she was ready, but only problem was that I wasn't ready for her to have them done.
She wanted them done so much that I decided to give in and let her have it.
I had never had mine pierced so told her that if she was brave then I would be brave!!!
Well, my mate took her in, as I couldnt watch that being done and I would of backed out after the first one was done, never mind my daughter.
I was waiting for the crying, but no, she never cried one little bit. I then gave her a hug as she came out and all I got was.....your turn now mum!!!
I wasn't looking forward to this but got it done all the same.
She was brave so I had to be too.

Since then neither of us have had no problem with our ears and she looked after them very well for only being 5!! No probs at school or after school activities, she knows how to look after them herself and how to take them out and put them back in.
I would say depends on the child at what age they should get them done!!

Andrew C
07-Feb-08, 16:37
My daughter can have hers done when she is 18 :o)

scotsboy
07-Feb-08, 16:38
Why do people have their babies ears pierced?

I really don't know, whether it is tradition or they think it looks good.

scorrie
07-Feb-08, 16:42

And WHAT personal judgement is a child aged 6 months able to bring? That is clearly the choice of the parent alone and the procedure is foisted upon the child. Young children are beautiful enough and don't need metals hanging out of their ears. In my mind it is pure Chav City. What next? Will we be seeing ultrasound scans of babbies in the womb and hearing proud Mums-to-be saying "Oh look, you can see where her naval piercing is!!"

I saw a group of lassies pushing prams down the street and not one of them was looking the road their bairn was on. Fags, mobile phones and gossip were more important. Seemed very much like babies as fashion accessories.

scorrie
07-Feb-08, 16:47
My daughter can have hers done when she is 18 :o)

I would say 18 was a bit harsh, but far more responsible than letting a child who is not old enough to realise the full implications have it done. We made our daughter wait till she went to High School and then let her wait a bit longer to make sure it was what she really wanted.

crashbandicoot1979
07-Feb-08, 16:59
I think it should be up to the parents whether they want to allow it at a certain age, but I think the child should be old enough to have some input. i.e. I wouldn't pierce a baby's ears but if I had say a 7 yr old who desperately wanted it done, I would consider it, but not before explaining the process so they know exactly how its done.

karia
07-Feb-08, 17:34
Aye the happy days ahead...toddlers showing off their tattoos at nursery!:lol:

twiglet
07-Feb-08, 17:50
Much too young at 2yrs 7mnths to have holes in her ears. Was amazed years ago a woman came on the maternity ward to pierce a newborns ears, was quite disgusted. My daughter has been told she can have them done when she is a teenager. Personally I had them done at 14 although I did have to talk my younger sister out of trying to get her tongue pierced at 11. She had it done at 15 and at 24 has now given up on it.

badger
07-Feb-08, 18:26
Personally I hate to see children with pierced ears, just as I hate to see them staggering around the shops in heels, mini skirts and anything else that makes them look like mini-teenagers. I don't like make-up or nail varnish on small children, although make-up as part of dressing up for fun is OK.

Small children ask for all kinds of things - doesn't mean they should have them. Let them wait until mid-teens. Mothers are starting to campaign against unsuitable clothes for little girls. Maybe pierced ears should be next.

xx_chickie
07-Feb-08, 18:41
I definitely think a child should be old enough to be able to make their decision properly: understanding the pain, consequences and care required to maintain a piercing. It is afterall, a permanent thing (to an extent), and for the parent to decide for the child - at such a young age especially - I think is wrong.

wifie
07-Feb-08, 19:53
I wasn't allowed to have mine done until I was 16. My daughter wanted her's done age 7 but she had a dance exam which forbade jewellery so had to wait as she would not have been able to remove them. This year for her 8th birthday I know this is what she wants and she is capable of understanding the consequences and old enough to look after her ears. Up to the individual but I think 2 is too young.

NLP
07-Feb-08, 20:14

I didn't say I was thinking about doing it, I said she was too young. I just wondered what others thought.

Whitewater
07-Feb-08, 20:29

I obviously was not her daughters decision, and I don't think it was right for your friend to make that decision on behalf of her daughter.

angela5
07-Feb-08, 20:37
My daughter is 8 and is getting her ears pierced tomorrow.

mums angels
07-Feb-08, 20:37
I was 14 when i had my ears peirced and got infection aftre infection starting with the impatience of keeping the original pair in for 6 weeks then turned out i was alaso allergic to nickle which cause problems for ages before realising why .

My daughter started asking for hers done around 3 and half but i kept saying no as i was worried about infection and them getting pulled etc .. eventually after a year i gave in took her down, explained the procedure of the gun got mine redone infront of her to show her hoping it would put her off but no she jumped up on seat ready for her turn not a peep when first one went in and when second went in she said ouch .. all done easy and honestly because of her age i turned them and cleaned them daily for her she kept them in for over 8 weeks before swapping them and now at the age of 9 she is not allowed anything other than studs and even thou she can change them herself at school etc i perfer to do it and i change them and clean earings every so often she also will go weeks weithout wearing any. she has started to ask for hoops etc but i;m not ready to allow that yet as i worry about them getting caught. my advice also would be never to buy cheap earings as risk of allergies is just to high and be prepared for them to lose ones that cost a pretty penny ..LOL .

personally i think 4 and a half os too young , pregnant now with child number 4 i would say if a girl i wouldn't get them done early unless she went on for ages and ages ect . i do know several parents that said oh my child wants them done but in my opinion on some cases is was the parent not the child which i think is wrong and a child under proper speaking and understanding age does not understand what peircing entails ..get some nice stick ons from claire's accessories that will keep them happy enough and you can also get magnetic ones now too .

orkneylass
07-Feb-08, 20:40
To me, anything that encourages children, especially lttle girls, to take on the trappings of glammed up adults, is part of a thoughtless and inappropriate sexualisation of children - into that category comes high heels, cropped tops, bras, slogan T-shirts that say things about kissing etc. I often think that the parents who dress their children up like teenage tarts are the very ones that would probably lynch suspected paedophiles. Thank goodness I do not have daughters as I would have to battle the influence of other kids whose parents never give a thought to this.

mums angels
07-Feb-08, 20:46
To me, anything that encourages children, especially lttle girls, to take on the trappings of glammed up adults, is part of a thoughtless and inappropriate sexualisation of children - into that category comes high heels, cropped tops, bras, slogan T-shirts that say things about kissing etc. I often think that the parents who dress their children up like teenage tarts are the very ones that would probably lynch suspected paedophiles. Thank goodness I do not have daughters as I would have to battle the influence of other kids whose parents never give a thought to this.

totally agree i hate little girls in mini skirts and tops that are way to short or low necked , my husband is much more stricter than me but our 9 year old isn't allowed such things as high heels ( bad for the feet if anything) tarty clothes etc however i don't think ear peircing is encouraging sexulisation nor is wearing jewellry etc . make up shes allowed to play with but not leave the house with .

Angela
07-Feb-08, 21:13

I do agree with you about inappropriate clothes and shoes, but then that's often about copying a tarty adult look anyway, rather than just being a bit more grown up.

I really don't think plain gold studs or very small hoops -which is what my daughters were allowed until they were in their teens - can be considered sexualisation of children, any more than wearing any other small, good quality piece of jewellery. By 13, my older daughter started making her own earrings, with beads. It was just a 'crafty', creative thing she enjoyed doing, pretty wholesome I would have thought! :)

DIH
07-Feb-08, 21:47
NLP If I remember correctly wasn't it you that took me to get my ears pierced when I was almost 3!! I was fine but you also got you're ears pierced that day and almost fainted. I'm sitting here thinking about that day and laughing about it. I don't think I was too young when I got them done. I had no problems with them and went on to get my ears pierced a further twice. I was a stubborn child and pestered my mam till I got them done. She then got NLP to take me to the shop in Union Street.

cuddlepop
07-Feb-08, 21:55
Every child at every age is going to react differently when getting their ears done.

My youngest was 4 and just wouldnt let me clean them properly or she'd say they were annoying her,in the end we left the earings out so long the whole closed up and we had to get them done again when she was 10.
Still not really interested about wearing earings but at least she can.
My oldest daughter was 12 and had no problems at all.

Giving the choice again I say wait till the child is responsible eneogh to
clean /turn their earings.:D

NLP
07-Feb-08, 22:11
NLP If I remember correctly wasn't it you that took me to get my ears pierced when I was almost 3!! I was fine but you also got you're ears pierced that day and almost fainted. I'm sitting here thinking about that day and laughing about it. I don't think I was too young when I got them done. I had no problems with them and went on to get my ears pierced a further twice. I was a stubborn child and pestered my mam till I got them done. She then got NLP to take me to the shop in Union Street.

I seem to think your mam was also there, and I only got mine done to show you it didn't hurt when in fact it did hurt.

karia
08-Feb-08, 00:04
I think that the title of this thread sums things up..we are talking about the rights or wrongs of puncturing very young flesh.

...sure it's a piercing but as NLP so plainly put it at the start....

..that means 'Holes in Ears' and lets not forget that basic fact!:(

scorrie
08-Feb-08, 00:10
I think that the title of this thread sums things up..we are talking about the rights or wrongs of puncturing very young flesh.

...sure it's a piercing but as NLP so plainly put it at the start....

..that means 'Holes in Ears' and lets not forget that basic fact!:(

Very true, and I wonder what sort of person carried out the procedure on a child aged only 6 months? What would have happened if the child picked up an infection and became ill? Who would have taken the blame then?

braalterr903
08-Feb-08, 09:29
hi i got mine done at 16 good age as my pals daughter got hers done at 7 and took earings out and never put them back in and now holes closed and now has to get them done again.

johno
08-Feb-08, 10:03
i had my left ear done year,s ago. lost the ring somewhere & did,nt bother to replace it .it,s all closed up now. dont know why i bothered with it in the first place. :roll:

helenwyler
08-Feb-08, 12:09
I think toddlers and very young children are way too young to have pierced ears. They should be running around, bumping into things, falling over and getting dirty at that age...not an ideal life-style if they have pierced flesh with a shaft of metal in it:confused.

My daughters were put off the idea when a seven-year-old contemporary with newly pierced ears was hit on the side of the head by a stray football. I'll spare you the details:mad:!

I don't think it's right to make them wait too long either, if they're dead set on the idea. My SIL (this is 25 years ago) was told she couldn't have them done till she was 16. She rebelled, and did them herself with a needle and ice....yeuuugh!.... Amazingly they did not get infected!

scaraben
08-Feb-08, 13:21
NLP I'd say you are starting off on the wrong footing if you are allowing a two year old to "Call the shots" you are storing up problems for yourself in later years. In my opinion your little girl is far too young for that.

mrsmo
08-Feb-08, 14:59
I think its horrible seeing little tots with earrings in, wait til they are 16 thats plenty time.

phil1958
08-Feb-08, 16:57
was down in inverness 3 weeks ago and was told that it is against the law to pierce unless the child is old enough to say and was told usually about the age 6 or 7
so my daughter will have to wait but not sure if this counts for all:roll:

Buttercup
08-Feb-08, 17:04
I hate to see young bairns with pierced ears. They're too young to look after them properly and it all too easy for them to get pull out and cause all sorts of damage during the rough and tumble of play. Allowing youngsters to get their own way over that is just learning them that if the nag you long enough they'll eventually get whatever they want. A firm "No" followed by an explanation as to why not then saying that it will be reconsidered when they reach High School age should suffice. Oh, you'll get the usual "So-and-so got her's/his done" but that's the same with everything kids want, isn't it? They're bairns for goodness sake let them enjoy childhood instead of trying to make wee adults out of them. They grow up too quickly now-a-days!

NLP
08-Feb-08, 17:19
NLP I'd say you are starting off on the wrong footing if you are allowing a two year old to "Call the shots" you are storing up problems for yourself in later years. In my opinion your little girl is far too young for that.

I didn't say she was getting them done. She wants them done and I said we think she is too young.

j4bberw0ck
08-Feb-08, 23:42
I didn't say she was getting them done. She wants them done and I said we think she is too young.

You make it sound, though, as thought here's a possibility you might give in if enough people here think you should.

You should have the self-confidence to say NO if you mean no, and make it stick.

Piercing the ears of children is obscene, IMHO. Don't care if they're 2 or 9 or 15. Let them do it for themselves if they wish, at 18. If you dislike your children so much that you want to cause them pain, why not just thrash them?

Well said Karia, by the way; tattoos at nursery are next, maybe?

TBH
09-Feb-08, 00:56
i had my left ear done year,s ago. lost the ring somewhere & did,nt bother to replace it .it,s all closed up now. dont know why i bothered with it in the first place. :roll:Mibbe ye wur a slave til fashin.:)

TBH
09-Feb-08, 01:02
I didn't say she was getting them done. She wants them done and I said we think she is too young.I cannot comprehend a 2 year old having any comprehension about ear-piercing and the methods it entails. You and your partner are the responsible adults so I am glad you would not give in to the infantile yearnings of a 2 year old. Try some of the false clip on ones, that should make her happy.

Jeid
09-Feb-08, 01:36
I think getting ears pierced at a young age is a bit silly, but each to their own.

People who get theirs pierced with a gun are more prone to infection than those done with a needle. They also end up with more scar tissue.

I had all my existing piercings done with a needle and it was pain free. I had one piercing done with a gun when I was 14 and it hurt like hell!!

Of my current piercings, I got one done at 20 and the other two and 21. I think up to a certain age a parent has to step in... but it's part of growing up isn't it?

Ricco
09-Feb-08, 10:06

Far, far too young. What will be your answer if she wants a fag or a good G&T? Lets be real about this sort of thing - a child wants everything, they always have. I was told - 'when you are old enough' and that was that. :eek:

Sapphire2803
09-Feb-08, 19:05
I think getting ears pierced at a young age is a bit silly, but each to their own.

People who get theirs pierced with a gun are more prone to infection than those done with a needle. They also end up with more scar tissue.

I had all my existing piercings done with a needle and it was pain free. I had one piercing done with a gun when I was 14 and it hurt like hell!!

Of my current piercings, I got one done at 20 and the other two and 21. I think up to a certain age a parent has to step in... but it's part of growing up isn't it?

Good point, that gun is a germ ridden instrument of torture, if and when you decide to get it done, go to someone who is trained to do piercings properly. Not a jeweller with a rivet gun.

Btw... the professionals use local anaesthetic.

percy toboggan
09-Feb-08, 19:13
Only just noticed this thread. I'd wait until her age registers double figures at least....then try to talk her out of it...if necessary resort to bribery !

'Holes in ears' not good.

Furthermore I cannot ever imagine any sub-three year old I have ever known aspiring to pierced ears.I suspect skullduggery or sibling input.

Jeid
09-Feb-08, 21:11
Btw... the professionals use local anaesthetic.

Not totally true. Some will offer it though.

NLP
09-Feb-08, 22:52
I cannot comprehend a 2 year old having any comprehension about ear-piercing and the methods it entails. You and your partner are the responsible adults so I am glad you would not give in to the infantile yearnings of a 2 year old. Try some of the false clip on ones, that should make her happy.

I got stickers for her ears and she was over the moon, kept wanting to look in the mirror at them.

NLP
09-Feb-08, 22:56
[quote=j4bberw0ck;336653]You make it sound, though, as thought here's a possibility you might give in if enough people here think you should.

Sorry but I'm not swayed by what people think, never have been and I doubt I ever will be.

percy toboggan
10-Feb-08, 00:07

I think, on reflection that the very way you describe 'holes in ears' suggests you're less than impressed. I'd urge you to jettison all thoughts of this but at the end of the day it's your child, your decision. But what are ear-rings meant to do exactly...can anyone fill me in ?

scotsboy
10-Feb-08, 10:01
I think, on reflection that the very way you describe 'holes in ears' suggests you're less than impressed. I'd urge you to jettison all thoughts of this but at the end of the day it's your child, your decision. But what are ear-rings meant to do exactly...can anyone fill me in ?

In many cases they are used to fill holes in ears some people have.

Dadie
10-Feb-08, 12:42
When we were younger me and my sisters were not allowed to get our ears pierced until we were 16 but granny took me for my 12th birthday (and my younger sister at the same time) to get ours done my youngest sister had hers done at a later date near her 12th birthday. It was painful at the time but the worst was seeing how upset and angry my dad was about the whole thing he quietly seethed for days... but i think if we were any younger we wouldnt have looked afer our ears and the holes would have become infected but nowadays i hardly wear earings at all!

sweetpea
10-Feb-08, 17:22
I had mine done by my granny when I was about 9, won't go into details how it was done but it wasn't a pleasant experience although I loved it when they settled down, went on to have it done 3 more times so got quite a few holes in my ears, have to admit I hardly even wear earings except maybe a pair when I go out. I think kids of either sex with earings look awful but I have a friend who is from a travelling family and most of their kids have them done at baby stage, not sure why, tradition I suppose.

peedie
11-Feb-08, 01:14
i was once a "nagging for piercings" child and i would like to say we are a nightmare ;) having grown up (a little) i have a few sets of earrings in my ears plus a few other studs dotted around my person. not because i was allowed any of this done but because i knew if i asked i would be told no, so i assumed the missing answer was a yes...because i wished it be.
once they've set their mind on something children/teens will go out of their way to get it. tell them you don't approve and it makes it all the more appealing, tell them they have to pay and it hurts like hell... they might go off the idea [lol]

ett23
11-Feb-08, 20:21
I got stickers for her ears and she was over the moon, kept wanting to look in the mirror at them.

It's so cute isn't it how our little ones love admiring themselves in the mirror. My wee girl is 2yrs 5months and she loves copying me putting makeup on, bobbles in her hair, pretty skirts and dresses.

Thankfully I gave up my pierced ears about 7 years ago so she can't copy me in that regard. Maybe if I still had earrings in she'd have asked me already to get hers done! Her cousin has been wanting hers done since age 4 but my sister thinks she's too young. :eek: She had hers done age 6 and mine were done age 7 (at the same time). Hers was successful but mine not. I have eczema and was frequently getting infections - they were gross. But I persevered for the sake of beauty. Finally I gave them up several years ago and since then they've healed over.

My parents had more trouble with my sister when she asked to have her ears pierced twice at age 16 and my dad said no. She then proceeded to go to Inverness and have it done anyway. Wore her hair down over her ears for a few days and then forgot about it - dad noticed, went ballistic, but at the end of the day she's still got them done twice and that's that! Yeah, she was the rebel of the family!![lol]