PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Dual core Dual CPU's

t
30-Jan-08, 23:47
Has anyone tried Dual core Dual CPU's

I was thinking of getting a Asus K8N-DL Dual Opteron CPU Motherboard or equivalent, its primarily a server motherboard however suppose it could be a good Power PC.

To go along with it 2X AMD Opteron 875 2.2GHz 2MB L2

However does any you you think this will be up to much or just as well going for the new Quad core AMD.

It will be running Linux and not windows so not worried about Windows Compatablity

Any thoughts

maidencaithness
31-Jan-08, 01:33
Has anyone tried Dual core Dual CPU's

I was thinking of getting a Asus K8N-DL Dual Opteron CPU Motherboard or equivalent, its primarily a server motherboard however suppose it could be a good Power PC.

To go along with it 2X AMD Opteron 875 2.2GHz 2MB L2

However does any you you think this will be up to much or just as well going for the new Quad core AMD.

It will be running Linux and not windows so not worried about Windows Compatablity

Any thoughts

Complete waste of money, the current Intel processors and indeed the very latest ones are far superior to anything AMD has to offer now or in near future and they are cheap too. I am an AMD fan but when building next PC for my own use will have to buy Intel coz makes no sense to buy inferior product for similar money.

Those processors are £320 each new, if money no option then pre-order a pair of quad core Xeons for the ultimate and their only £100 quid each more. Or buy a pair of dual core Xeons even they are way better than the Opterons.

What do you use your PC for to need that amount of performance you can pick up an awesome single dual core for £150 and mobo will be way cheaper.

t
31-Jan-08, 02:55
To be honest the most challenging thing it would be doing would be compiling or playing Urban Terror thats about it.

No need for that amount of CPU's just somthing new i suppose.

What about the new AMD Quad core that up to much if not I may just stick with a bog standard Dual core

emb123
31-Jan-08, 10:43
I've also used and specified dual CPU systems (for server purposes mainly) although not using current generation CPUs. I'd agree with maidencaithness, it's a waste of money. If you're overloaded with cash then it will give some improvement over and above a single CPU design, but nothing like the equivalent of what you might expect by using two processors. More like one and a third.

It doesn't help that current PCB design and dual CPU support under a Microsoft based operating sytem does not fully exploit multiple CPU hardware designs.

I personally wouldn't buy such a design, but then I'm always watching the pennies. I also a big AMD CPU fan to be honest but the latest AMD dual core CPUs do seem to be rather lacklustre compared to the hyperbole in the advertising literature. If you must, then currently Intel CPUs are where the smart money goes.

Have fun!

maidencaithness
31-Jan-08, 10:53
Why not build a nice PC with CPU & grafx water cooled. I found this more of a challenge than the one with dual Xeons I built before it. My aim was to get high performance and very low noise and it's still running 24/7 22 months later without a hitch.

huh
31-Jan-08, 17:19
The new AMD stuff is no use. They may have had the edge in the past but at the moment I'd say Intel all the way.

t
31-Jan-08, 18:09
Well I have always gone toward AMD for the price factor more than anything, but the kit I was going to get was going to set me back less that £200.
The point of doing it was more of a "COS I CAN" response.

I have done many things with PC's and LInux for no other reason than this.

hotrod4
02-Feb-08, 11:02
Would love to "upgrade" my poor wee 1800+ sempron but money isnt in it at the moment.:(
Though I must admit it along with 2gb of RAM and my Nvidia geforce card havent had any problems with high end games except MOH airborne which was clicky, but all others run perfect, so I may stay off an upgrade for a while :)
Will keep an eye on this thread for when I do, thanks for all the info should save me a fortune!!

Tony
03-Feb-08, 17:41
This company appear to offer good value. I noticed they offer motherboard kits that include cpu and ram.

http://www.arbico.co.uk/

t
03-Feb-08, 18:32
Well I think I am going to go for a AMD dual core CPU as not too keen on the overpriced Intel chips.

And as it is very rarely going to be used for gaming just a basic Nvidia 256m PIE-E graphics card.

Should get it together with 2 gig of ram for just under £150