PDA

View Full Version : Big Gig 2008

Pages : [1] 2

MR Music
24-Jan-08, 19:29
big gig 2008 is in the early stages of planning.

last year was a huge success.

this year its over one day.

its an all day gig.

so initially, i am asking what YOU, the music community what you want to hear at this years big gig.

i.e. what bands you want to hear and see.

thank you.

Jeid
24-Jan-08, 22:06
Been thinking about it, here's who I'd like to see...

Foo Fighters(they'll be in Europe doing warm-up shows for the Big Gig)
Muse(writing a new album, good chance to debut the new songs)
Nirvana(with Kurt)
Led Zep(they are rumoured to be touring)
Metallica(they’re booking festivals)
Queen (with Freddie Mercury)
GNR (Original Line Up)
AC/DC

MR Music
24-Jan-08, 22:26
right on that.

got any contact numbers?

and could you lend me a sub?

lol.

moncur
24-Jan-08, 22:42
oh flip! I had all those numbers on ma old phone but I flogged it on t'internet to one of them phone recycling companies!

hmmmm not really sure what bands I want to hear, I mean theres a lot of good bands who played last year but I've not heard of any new bands coming about since then. I fair enjoyed Pepsi's massive long named band (the name of which escapes me) who played n 2006. How many bands are you looking for?

theboysintheband
24-Jan-08, 23:31
Are there any plans to bring up a main headline act from the south like someone mentioned before?

Jeemag_USA
25-Jan-08, 00:00
If it is going to be a one day thing, I really think you should consider having it away from town centres, have it somewhere in a large field area with a large barn, have an indoor and outdoor set up incase of bad weather and play later in the evening to say 2a.m. That way you can start later so the bands at the bottom of the bill have more chance of getting some spectators.

I think the idea of having a big gig for Caithness and their bands and then to have a band from down south to headline it is not very fair on local musicians. How about better to organise a super group of local musicians to round of the evening, get them to rehearse an 8 song set, or gather round and find 6 to 8 songs they all already know and put them at the top of the bill.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to go again, but would definately expect to hear No Exit Wound, Astronot, Empty Fortune and the other usual suspects, and would also like to see Howlin' Gaels and Sutherland and Son and Whisky play at it.

MR Music
25-Jan-08, 02:33
well the powers that be are requesting a more varied set of bands.

so anything from blues to folk.

the best place we can have locally is the dammies. there are other parties involved.

i have already thought of a few groups, but i really need the suggestion of the people.

im taking note of all the groups asked for (especially jeids lol)

keep em coming.

MR Music
25-Jan-08, 02:39
woops, forgot to say.

the biggest question i have for you all is...

do you want less bands and more slot time, or same set up as last year, more bands, shorter slot time.

PLEASE CONSIDER: the punters perception.

Metalattakk
25-Jan-08, 04:10
Personal punter's viewpoint:

Less bands, more slot time. Means less change-over hassle, and the established bands get the chance to really work the crowd for the benefit of the crowd. The less established bands then get the chance to learn how to work the crowd.

As for line-up? God, who knows. I'd like Astronot and Crimson Tide for definite.

How you can expect a massively varied line-up, I do not know? There are very few folk acts, or even blues acts out there, and even so, how many folk fans are going to sit through the deafening Crimson Tide waiting for their favourites to appear, and likewise, how many Crimson Tide fans are going to hang around while some stuffy folk trio warble on? Diversity is a utopian ideal, I feel.

Mind you, as long as thon hippy geezer who played the keyboards on his own at the first Big Gig gets another shottie, I'll be happy.

BigKev
25-Jan-08, 14:28
A punter and a player's perspective:
An hour is about the right amount of time for the bands playing throught the day, a bit longer for the 2 or 3 headliners.
As for varied, yeah its a good idea, as long as they have an appropriate block in the day, group genres together to get the full biased crowd at that time. but also bear in mind the age of the fans, e.g. i reckon the folk lot wont want to stay late, and the age group who will be there later on will be more appreciative of say, ct and astronot.
could do with a stand that sold blow up chairs or sumit, all that standing around.....
Who is organising it this year?
I will be most likely entering a band, you know me, as much stage time as i can get!!

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Jan-08, 15:06
The Shee are doing festivals. One of the best all-female folk bands around. It'll cost you, though, but no-one would be disappointed.

www.myspace.com/theshee

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Jan-08, 15:10
A punter and a player's perspective:
An hour is about the right amount of time for the bands playing throught the day, a bit longer for the 2 or 3 headliners.
As for varied, yeah its a good idea, as long as they have an appropriate block in the day, group genres together to get the full biased crowd at that time. but also bear in mind the age of the fans, e.g. i reckon the folk lot wont want to stay late, and the age group who will be there later on will be more appreciative of say, ct and astronot.
could do with a stand that sold blow up chairs or sumit, all that standing around.....
Who is organising it this year?
I will be most likely entering a band, you know me, as much stage time as i can get!!

You've clearly never been to a folk festival, then... or at least one I've been to anyway.

rob murray
25-Jan-08, 16:26
Been thinking about it, here's who I'd like to see...

Foo Fighters(they'll be in Europe doing warm-up shows for the Big Gig)
Muse(writing a new album, good chance to debut the new songs)
Nirvana(with Kurt)
Led Zep(they are rumoured to be touring)
Metallica(they’re booking festivals)
Queen (with Freddie Mercury)
GNR (Original Line Up)
AC/DC

If you can bring back Freddie, why not Bon ?

theboysintheband
25-Jan-08, 17:26
I think the idea of having a big gig for Caithness and their bands and then to have a band from down south to headline it is not very fair on local musicians.

There always seems to be a fair few folk goin' to these gigs but wouldn't it be class if it was packed? I cant speak for all local musicians but I know I'd rather play 2nd last (or before) to a packed field than last to a considerably smaller crowd and gettin' to Headline! Assuming the chosen band could pull a big crowd, of course!

moncur
25-Jan-08, 17:51
I cant speak for all local musicians but I know I'd rather play 2nd last (or before) to a packed field than last to a considerably smaller crowd and gettin' to Headline! Assuming the chosen band could pull a big crowd, of course!

Totally agree with you, Empty Fortune played 2nd last on the Friday night last year, and it was good fun even if a lot of the crowd may not have been there to see us specifically. Plus it also gave me enough time to pack up ma gear and get masel to skins after the gig finished.

moncur
25-Jan-08, 18:05
do you want less bands and more slot time, or same set up as last year, more bands, shorter slot time.

Judging by the changeover times last year, 15 minutes was a fraction too long for changeovers (a lot of standing about once it had all been done, but doing it in 1 hour slots was simplest idea. So prob give each band 50 minutes to play and 10 minute changeover time. Then maybe give the last 2 bands a tad longer to play, say 1 hour then 1 and a half hours. The more experienced bands were a LOT quicker at changing over and getting levels sorted last year.

MR Music
25-Jan-08, 22:06
good good.

well i will go with shorter at start and longer towards end.

well the powers that be had said that many punters "wanted more variation" than last year.

but i agree, there arent that many different styles locally.

a reggae band in caithness downpour...now thats classy.

its the ttia that are behind the event again.

and its me K Dragon/David J Hobbs organising it again.

Jeid
25-Jan-08, 22:21
Have they actually gone out and asked all the punters?

the_big_mac
26-Jan-08, 09:51
good good.

well the powers that be had said that many punters "wanted more variation" than last year.

That translates to one load mouth wuman moaned and now we all have to suffer because of her.

foreveruntitled
26-Jan-08, 12:20
That translates to one load mouth wuman moaned and now we all have to suffer because of her.

I don't think that variation means we will have to suffer.

moncur
26-Jan-08, 14:44

where is reev anyway? lol

moncur
27-Jan-08, 12:51
iv just thought of a serious suggestion for once but its quite vague. I seen Alison Birnie playing in the comm last summer and was seriously good, and itd also be something a bit more varied from the usual bands that play.

rob murray
28-Jan-08, 09:58
Surely there are enough bands in Caithness and North Sutherland now playing original music to consider shaping the day around originality ? Why not consider inviting Highland bands outwith the area to make up the bill if there's not enough originality. Maybe get a couple of cover bands on early in the day and make the rest original, get press coverage etc this way, promote local talent...any takers ?

moncur
28-Jan-08, 18:10
Surely there are enough bands in Caithness and North Sutherland now playing original music to consider shaping the day around originality ? Why not consider inviting Highland bands outwith the area to make up the bill if there's not enough originality. Maybe get a couple of cover bands on early in the day and make the rest original, get press coverage etc this way, promote local talent...any takers ?

good idea but i think id disagree with the suggestion to separate it into a covers section then an original section of the day. if anything you'd be safer mixing it up all day between covers and originals. gives the punters something familar to bop along too from time to time.

zebedy
28-Jan-08, 19:13
id like to see

Crimson Tide & Theboysintheband * The Maydays *
or Jude (Y)

Jeid
29-Jan-08, 03:13
The Big Gig Is <deleted>! I'd Rather Play with Turds In The Pan!

Taz!!!!!!!!

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/cop.gif Fixed

elastic band
29-Jan-08, 04:15
excellent news to hear its planned again for this ?summer -my mates and i travelled up from Bristol for some surfing in 2006 for the first time and heard a youngish band called White Noize we thought they were fantastic and really showed some unique rock talent -please ask these guys to play again -we came last year but didn;t see them on the gig list but then again due to uni we didn't manage up for the full gig.

think it would be cool to have different types of music especially if you are planning a mega event -how about rock n roll, swing, jazz although not really my cup of tea guys it wpuld help to promote music as there for everyone and not just us heavy metal buffs.

anyhow White Noize are our top band -everything else is cool with us

look forward to it

martin
guy
darryn
ollie
sam

K dragon
29-Jan-08, 05:39
well the plan is to have the lineup sorted before the end of feb.

i have other stuff to do this year too, and no promises, but i should be able to do the interviews i wanted to do last year, but thats a finance thing on my own part.

cheers for the suggestions.

will keep you all updated.

rob murray
29-Jan-08, 09:40
good idea but i think id disagree with the suggestion to separate it into a covers section then an original section of the day. if anything you'd be safer mixing it up all day between covers and originals. gives the punters something familar to bop along too from time to time.

Split the difference, end with sets of originals from last 2 bands.

Deemac
29-Jan-08, 13:26
Has any date been set yet?

Sorry if I've missed this inconsequential minor detail.;)

moncur
29-Jan-08, 14:05
Has any date been set yet?

Sorry if I've missed this inconsequential minor detail.;)

Good Point actually. Will it be shifting to earlier in the summer? or is it another August gig?

MR Music
29-Jan-08, 17:24
august.

powers that be.

foreveruntitled
29-Jan-08, 19:14
would like to see the maydays play

moncur
29-Jan-08, 19:31
Another idea,

you could use bebo to attract attention to the Big Gig, make up a Big Gig group then add a member of each band thats playing as a moderator (well, if they're on bebo that is). Then each band can put up a piece about their band, or pictures, vids etc. Hey you could even post those interviews you've been wanting to do!

moncur
29-Jan-08, 19:38
ah wait, just went on bebo and found that 'cinemas for thurso' has already made a 'The Big Gig' Bebo. So it'll have to be a 'The Big Gig 2008' Bebo lol

zebedy
29-Jan-08, 19:47
elastic band?
im sure a while ago ure posts were put on here as a member of that band!

:S
maybe im wrong though?

moncur
29-Jan-08, 20:34
elastic band?

maybe im wrong though?

think you're wrong there jack, possibly a relative.

I think Whitenoizes antics at the big gig 2006 were very childish and irresponsible, especially for it being an event open to all age groups.

After they 'played' they were doing the 'look at us, we're drinkin a half bottle of Jack Daniels between the 5 of us! Aren't we just the coolest bunch of 14 year olds?!'

I hope for the sake of their behinds that they were drinkin cold tea out of that bottle o Jack D.

Reev
29-Jan-08, 21:45
where is reev anyway? lol

Not here...............:confused

*Martin*
30-Jan-08, 02:06
Reev ACE avatar! Oh and the white house used to scare the brown stuff oot o me when I was a young un'!

Who are The Powers that be? Who did they ask that said they wanted a more varied mix? I think it would be better in the summer personally!

Jeid
30-Jan-08, 02:57
It's part of Thurso Gala Week... hence the August date.

SixToOne
01-Feb-08, 01:47
so initially, i am asking what YOU, the music community what you want to hear at this years big gig.

i.e. what bands you want to hear and see.

thank you.

As I always like to see young talent being given the opportunity to get a bit of exposure, I'd like to recommend a young lad I met in Thurso a little while ago, he's a cracking guitarist and goes by the name of Lyle Watt.
At just fifteen years of age he has skills that can embarrass many a man twice his age, so if you want the audience transfixed by incredible young talent then vote Lyle Watt... a star in the making!

Jeid
01-Feb-08, 10:11
As I always like to see young talent being given the opportunity to get a bit of exposure, I'd like to recommend a young lad I met in Thurso a little while ago, he's a cracking guitarist and goes by the name of Lyle Watt.
At just fifteen years of age he has skills that can embarrass many a man twice his age, so if you want the audience transfixed by incredible young talent then vote Lyle Watt... a star in the making!

So we can have someone twiddling around on his guitar to backing tracks for half an hour? You're having a larf! If he had a band however... then why not.

Stew
01-Feb-08, 12:18
So we can have someone twiddling around on his guitar to backing tracks for half an hour? You're having a larf! If he had a band however... then why not.
"You're having a larf" is a bit unkind to the young lads talent and I would not describe Lyle's talent as "twiddling" around. i totally agree with Six that if you want entertainment then Lyle is your best bet. I am sure he would have a bass and drummer for a full band to belt out crowd pleasers.

daveyravey
01-Feb-08, 12:34

You've obviously not heard him before, have you ?
Would you prefer Steve Vai or Satch twiddling around to backers ???
Lyle Watt has an incredible talent & with the right openings, will go all the way !!!!
Ok, he's only 15, but plays like he's had 25 years of experience & already has quite a following throughout the country and beyond.
Can the organisers afford NOT to have him play, cos then when he hits the top, they can say " Lyle played here when he was 15" !!!!
Instead of having a dig jeid, why not check some of his stuff on You tube !!!

I'm not having a go at anyone, just adding my tuppence worth.

Jeid
01-Feb-08, 12:42
Oh I've heard him.. and for the first 3minutes... it's interesting. I never denied his talent. I find guitar noodling a bit dull. Where's the fun (for the crowd) in that? Unless you're a musician... and let's face it, most of us who post here are... then you cannot fully appreciate or connect with 45minutes(that's the time they're looking to fill) of him noodling around to backing tracks/a backing band. He's good, but I'd much rather see him showing off his talent in a proper rock band, which would include a vocalist.

No offence, but any band with the right openings can go all the way. It's all about right place at the right time.

I'd rather not have Satch or Vai... I don't get the fascination with either.

I wasn't having a dig, I was voicing my opinion, just like you're doing yours. You seem to have taken offence to my opinion... I'm just clearing things up for you biy.

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Feb-08, 12:48
Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton used to play a lot of festivals. They were prone to lots of noodling, too. Get the lad on the stage and let him sink or swim.
How's Caithness Glasstonbury coming on anyway?

daveyravey
01-Feb-08, 12:51
No offence, but any band with the right openings can go all the way. It's all about right place at the right time.

I wasn't having a dig, I was voicing my opinion, just like you're doing yours. You seem to have taken offence to my opinion... I'm just clearing things up for you biy.

No offence taken dude.

I have to disagree with you tho', you gotta have talent to make it big. Take a look at the state of the music industry these days...... 99% is rubbish. Money talks !

slightly_funked
01-Feb-08, 13:00
Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton used to play a lot of festivals. They were prone to lots of noodling, too. Get the lad on the stage and let him sink or swim.

got to agree the kid should get given some stage play,
no harm in it really.

daveyravey
01-Feb-08, 13:10
Why not check some of his work

http://www.youtube.com/user/kirkhetfieldtrujillo

moncur
01-Feb-08, 13:38
hmmm iv been reading the recent posts. Lyle is AMAZING on guitar and think he would go down well at the big gig, but NOT as a solo artist for 45 minutes. The only solution i could suggest is have him on for 20 minutes solo then him and band play for the remaining 25, or get a young band on for 25 minutes as a lot of young bands struggle to get 45 minutes with of songs. Or.......... GUITAR BATTLES!!!!! lol

SixToOne
01-Feb-08, 13:43

Well I was thinking more along the lines of having some real talent on stage. Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing... yeah, much better to have five average musicians on stage than one exceptional musician!
I do agree, however, that an exceptional musician such as Lyle at the head of a band would be better still but for me it's about exposing talent to the world, not about filling the books with five piece acts.
I made a suggestion anyway, which is more than most on here have done so far and I don't think that accusing me of 'having a larf' is a reasonable and appropriate way to respond.

Mystical Potato Head
01-Feb-08, 17:26
Hey guys, Lyle here

First of all, thanks for all the praise - I think i'm going to have to get the doorframes in my house widened so i can fit my head through them !

Oh I've heard him.. and for the first 3minutes... it's interesting. I never denied his talent. I find guitar noodling a bit dull. Where's the fun (for the crowd) in that? Unless you're a musician... and let's face it, most of us who post here are... then you cannot fully appreciate or connect with 45minutes(that's the time they're looking to fill) of him noodling around to backing tracks/a backing band. He's good, but I'd much rather see him showing off his talent in a proper rock band, which would include a vocalist.

Jeid, I never thought I'd say this, but I can see your point - although you could have made it a bit more politely! But I'm not gonna bother arguing because I know that instrumental stuff isn't your thing - I'm never going to go down well in your book.

But if I can sort out a band - you wouldn't have a problem with me playing then, would you?

K dragon
01-Feb-08, 17:58
"Well I was thinking more along the lines of having some real talent on stage. Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing... yeah, much better to have five average musicians on stage than one exceptional musician!
I do agree, however, that an exceptional musician such as Lyle at the head of a band would be better still but for me it's about exposing talent to the world, not about filling the books with five piece acts.
I made a suggestion anyway, which is more than most on here have done so far and I don't think that accusing me of 'having a larf' is a reasonable and appropriate way to respond."

now now six to one, i would like to see you gather as many bands as I did last year, thats a very rude and hurtful comment. it was a COMMUNITY gig, just because people are having an opinion on lyle watt does not merit ill will, or slanderish comments. the bands that played last year where young and inexperienced, I gave them the oppertunity to play in that enviroment to gain some more. yes lyle is a fantastic and well talented young man. but thats no reason to sell short every other young musician.

and in the end, im the one who books the bands, i will CONSIDER lyle, he is very talented, and he does need exposure, but arguing your case in such a manner wont pass over any musician on this org believe me i know lol.

like i said i will put some SERIOUS thought into this, but some people do have a point, his style for forty minutes straight is something that will struggle to keep the punters dancing and drinking and having a laugh.

but.... a guitar battle sounded interesting, something we could build on possibly?

moncur
01-Feb-08, 18:07
but.... a guitar battle sounded interesting, something we could build on possibly?

Easily, at least three of the best guitarists around doing a Guitar Hero style battle. Best crowd response judges the winner, gets the crowd involved, makes em feel part of the day. Winner gets a prize, a sweaty hairy kiss from Reev perhaps?

moncur
01-Feb-08, 18:10
Oh and once again wanna suggest these guys

http://arts.caithness.org/article.php?id=446 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://arts.caithness.org/article.php?id=446)

K dragon
01-Feb-08, 18:12
exactly what i was thinking.

be good switching from the early bands to the late bands. an interval event.

i think it would be fun

Jeid
01-Feb-08, 18:39
No offence taken dude.

I have to disagree with you tho', you gotta have talent to make it big. Take a look at the state of the music industry these days...... 99% is rubbish. Money talks !

Which proves my point... you don't have to be talented to make it big ;)

Well I was thinking more along the lines of having some real talent on stage. Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing... yeah, much better to have five average musicians on stage than one exceptional musician!
I made a suggestion anyway, which is more than most on here have done so far and I don't think that accusing me of 'having a larf' is a reasonable and appropriate way to respond.

Fair enough, but what do I care? I don't think you implying that most of last year's bands were "mediocre" is a reasonable and appropriate way to respond... but, you have an opinion... I ain't gonna start greetin' about it.

Jeid, I never thought I'd say this, but I can see your point - although you could have made it a bit more politely! But I'm not gonna bother arguing because I know that instrumental stuff isn't your thing - I'm never going to go down well in your book.

But if I can sort out a band - you wouldn't have a problem with me playing then, would you?

I thought I made my point quite politely, I never put your talent down, I never slagged you off. I quite simply and plainly said it as it is... even you yourself agree that you'd be better off with a band.

Get a group together... more people will appreciate the talent.

A guitar battle? Interesting idea... could end up boring a lot of people though. In Crossroads it worked... this isn't Crossroads though ;)

K dragon
01-Feb-08, 18:59
oh the battle wouldnt be long, plan at the mo is to start off with two on stage,

one plays their piece, then the other plays their piece.

announcer asks for a roar for artist one, then two, biggest roar wins, then winning artist stays on, then next artist comes on, same idea again, repeat process until we have a winner.

Mystical Potato Head
01-Feb-08, 19:00
I thought I made my point quite politely

I don't think that calling it "twiddling around", and "dull" is a very polite way to go about making your point. You may find guitar "noodling" a bit dull, but I find thrashing out chords pretty boring as well.

K dragon
01-Feb-08, 21:24
guys seriously.

music is all opinionated, im sure jeid meant, that the particular style and genre is not to his tastes.

steve vai and satriani (spelling) are not to my personal tastes either, but he didnt say you were rubbish or had no talent, nobody has insulted your personal being or talent.

so everybody put the knives down lol

Deemac
02-Feb-08, 12:30
Ahh, the children are bickering again I see!! Try and keep it positive guys:roll:

Boozeburglar
02-Feb-08, 12:35

You should be so lucky to ever witness such 'noodling'.

Villanova Junction started off as 'noodling'.

What you were getting with Hendrix was exposure to a musician composing, it was a process. Perhaps painful to listen to at times but an artist at work none the less.

I suspect you would get much more of a display of twiddly bits interrupted by more and faster muscle memory feats from any young guitarist stuck on stage with no real background in composing. I would love to be proved wrong.

Vai and Satch are crap, by the way.

If you need to know whether you have been fooled by the smoke and mirrors just take a look around the audience.

Spotty 20 year old boys? 90%? Yes, smoke and mirrors. Vai and Satch.

Reams of amazing supermodels? 65%? Talent. You are at a Blur gig.

theboysintheband
02-Feb-08, 16:28
Take a look at the state of the music industry these days...... 99% is rubbish.

I actually think the music industry is very healthy just now....Loads of new innovative bands with a different sound & style from the next. Its just that whats played on the Radio is 99% rubbish...infact 99% is probably a bit steep!

Sorry to side track fae the point!

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Feb-08, 18:53

What you were getting with Hendrix was exposure to a musician composing, it was a process. Perhaps painful to listen to at times but an artist at work none the less.

I suspect you would get much more of a display of twiddly bits interrupted by more and faster muscle memory feats from any young guitarist stuck on stage with no real background in composing. I would love to be proved wrong.

If you need to know whether you have been fooled by the smoke and mirrors just take a look around the audience.

...............Eh?

Phoebus_Apollo
02-Feb-08, 21:28

Are you out of your mind? - Satriani and Vai are two of the most talented guitarist/musicians of the last 20 years imho...to make such a blatant generalisation is an insult to the majority of guitarists who grew up listening to them...on top of that the rest of your post is a rambling dirge.

MR Music
02-Feb-08, 22:19
guys back on track please lol

SixToOne
03-Feb-08, 01:12
"Well I was thinking more along the lines of having some real talent on stage. Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing... yeah, much better to have five average musicians on stage than one exceptional musician!
I made a suggestion anyway, which is more than most on here have done so far and I don't think that accusing me of 'having a larf' is a reasonable and appropriate way to respond."

now now six to one, i would like to see you gather as many bands as I did last year, thats a very rude and hurtful comment. it was a COMMUNITY gig, just because people are having an opinion on lyle watt does not merit ill will, or slanderish comments. the bands that played last year where young and inexperienced, I gave them the oppertunity to play in that enviroment to gain some more. yes lyle is a fantastic and well talented young man. but thats no reason to sell short every other young musician.

and in the end, im the one who books the bands, i will CONSIDER lyle, he is very talented, and he does need exposure, but arguing your case in such a manner wont pass over any musician on this org believe me i know lol.

like i said i will put some SERIOUS thought into this, but some people do have a point, his style for forty minutes straight is something that will struggle to keep the punters dancing and drinking and having a laugh.

You're right, my response was a little abrupt and for that I apologise, however, my response was aimed specifically at Jeid who dismissed my suggestion as though it was ludicrous rather than having the courtesy of at least taking it seriously.
When I said "Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing" what I really meant to say was that (based on what Jeid had said) he would probably prefer a bunch of mediocre 'bands' instead of talented solo artists. I guess sometimes things come out the wrong way.
I was in no way belittling your efforts or those of the bands that played last year. The point I failed so miserably to get across was that, as a guitar player of some twenty years or so I know the difference between musicians who can 'hold' a tune and musicians who dominate their instruments. I believe that Lyle is getting very close to dominating the guitar and at his age, this level of talent is rare. For that reason I think he deserves any exposure he can get.
All that's left for me to say is... good luck Lyle!

Boozeburglar
03-Feb-08, 02:20
I think you should get a proper band who can turn out a decent hour long set to round off proceedings. Johnny Fatts would be my suggestion, along with the Howlin Gaels.

Are you out of your mind? - Satriani and Vai are two of the most talented guitarist/musicians of the last 20 years imho...to make such a blatant generalisation is an insult to the majority of guitarists who grew up listening to them...on top of that the rest of your post is a rambling dirge.

Quite possibly.

Vai lost any credibility he had when he joined Whitesnake, his solo work has never lived up to the potential we all thought he had when Zappa used him. Falling off the shoulders of giants and all that...

Satch is a more earthy player, guitar god and all that but they are two a penny nowadays, and Paul Gilbert owns either or them.

I am very lucky to have seen the original VH line up and by jove what a band they were, the air was filled with expectation and bodily fluids were emitted every time Roth danced or Ed soloed.

Just about every guitar god has passed before these eyes at one time or another, from Zappa to Page to Moore to SRV to Claptout to Johnny Fatts. None of them would disappoint me the way Vai and Satch have as performers.

Sure, they are officially guitar wizards and studio legends, but please don't tell me they can hold a candle to Tony McPhee or Wilko Johnson in the hallowed art of entertaining the crowd.

As far as the rest of my post, it probably makes little sense to anyone but the annointed, a bit like yer Vai and Satch.

;)

Reev
03-Feb-08, 06:24
Ok as this convo has dwindled off a bit i think ill help it along

Busy, whats your obsession with all the Reev comments?!?!? wheres Reev???, get a hairy sweaty kiss from Reev????

Dude.........thats our "private" time man, keep it "hush hush" yeah

:eek:....ooooooooooook moving on...

Guitar battle, um, isnt that js "guitarhero" to a live audience that isnt on xbox live..........thats what it sounds like to me

Would that even work??? im not saying i dont think it will js asking around

I like guitar hero, when im bored................

Also this topic seemed to dwindle off when Jeid gave an opinion,

If you know Jeid like i do you will know it wasnt a digg, let it go yeah guys,

This forum and its simple misunderstandings, nothing changes, hahaha

Well, thats my little speal done, carry on kids

:roll:

moncur
03-Feb-08, 13:13
http://www.bebo.com/BirnieAndBain

Jeid
03-Feb-08, 14:15
I don't think that calling it "twiddling around", and "dull" is a very polite way to go about making your point. You may find guitar "noodling" a bit dull, but I find thrashing out chords pretty boring as well.

Aye well, boring is pretty similar to dull... so you're just as guilty as me in this instance. You're entitled to your opinion.

Hrm, what you're doing here is the same as what he's done. He's written them off as rubbish and you've claimed them to be gods. The only thing he missed out was an IMO or IMHO... which would at least make the point that it's his opinion, not gospel.

You're right, my response was a little abrupt and for that I apologise, however, my response was aimed specifically at Jeid who dismissed my suggestion as though it was ludicrous rather than having the courtesy of at least taking it seriously.
When I said "Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing" what I really meant to say was that (based on what Jeid had said) he would probably prefer a bunch of mediocre 'bands' instead of talented solo artists. I guess sometimes things come out the wrong way.
I was in no way belittling your efforts or those of the bands that played last year. The point I failed so miserably to get across was that, as a guitar player of some twenty years or so I know the difference between musicians who can 'hold' a tune and musicians who dominate their instruments. I believe that Lyle is getting very close to dominating the guitar and at his age, this level of talent is rare. For that reason I think he deserves any exposure he can get.

Why do I have to worry about taking it seriously? I'm not organising the event. I'm free to give my opinion, just like you. Not everyone is going to agree with everything you say. I think it'd be boring(as I'm sure many people would). You think it'd be great(as many guitar players would). I never said I'd prefer a bunch of mediocre bands. You're putting words in my mouth. I'd much rather we had a good line up of bands who could entertain a crowd. No offence to Lyle, but having seen him play, as good a guitarist as he is... he's no showman. If you're going to stand up on a stage and play on your own, then just playing guitar brilliantly isn't enough.

Anyway... on topic now. Good luck to K Dragon for setting up this year's event.

Deemac
03-Feb-08, 15:38
Has a PA and lighting system been sorted out yet?

Boozeburglar
03-Feb-08, 16:45
The only thing he missed out was an IMO or IMHO... which would at least make the point that it's his opinion, not gospel.

The fact I posted it is a clue to whose opinion it is. No need for IMO or anything else.

;)

moncur
03-Feb-08, 17:51
Another suggestion for if the Guitar Battles dont go ahead. ROCK KARAOKE! They did it on the Thursday at the Tuborg stage at Download 2007 and the tent was packed out! Was definetly a highlight of the entire weekend.

Phoebus_Apollo
03-Feb-08, 20:51
I think you should get a proper band who can turn out a decent hour long set to round off proceedings. Johnny Fatts would be my suggestion, along with the Howlin Gaels.

Quite possibly.

Vai lost any credibility he had when he joined Whitesnake, his solo work has never lived up to the potential we all thought he had when Zappa used him. Falling off the shoulders of giants and all that...

*cough* Passion and warfare...

Satch is a more earthy player, guitar god and all that but they are two a penny nowadays, and Paul Gilbert owns either or them.

Paul Gilbert sounds like a constant 32nd note Em arpeggio....

I am very lucky to have seen the original VH line up and by jove what a band they were, the air was filled with expectation and bodily fluids were emitted every time Roth danced or Ed soloed.

Just about every guitar god has passed before these eyes at one time or another, from Zappa to Page to Moore to SRV to Claptout to Johnny Fatts. None of them would disappoint me the way Vai and Satch have as performers.

Vai and Kennelly doubling "The attitude Song" at G3 surely that couldn`t disappoint??

Sure, they are officially guitar wizards and studio legends, but please don't tell me they can hold a candle to Tony McPhee or Wilko Johnson in the hallowed art of entertaining the crowd.

As far as the rest of my post, it probably makes little sense to anyone but the annointed, a bit like yer Vai and Satch.

It made little sense on a purely semantic level...:roll:

;)

K dragon
03-Feb-08, 23:29
howlin gaels were asked last year to play, and i think there was a problem, nothing major, but i think the problem would still stand, could have been mixed comms.

johnny and isaac would be fantastic, but i have not asked, so if either read this, pm me and let me know.

and thanks for the good luck jeid.

lyle has been given a twenty minute slot, along with the guitar battle.

trust me, i can pull the battle off. ;)

elastic band
04-Feb-08, 16:00
elastic band?

maybe im wrong though?

yep you are wrong -have never played with this band in my life -or had any relative that does -just happen to like their music and as for their "antics" -well isn't that sometimes what 14yr olds do -it's called growing up -finding one's self-identity and this is usually done through making a few mistakes and learning from them. The person who made this comment has never made mistakes himself then?

such a shame this topic has become littered with offensive comments and the poor lad Lyle i think it is -well i feel sorry for any new and upcoming talent -some of these negative comments would be enough to shatter the confidence of most young people or new performers. seems some people just want to crush community spirit and i find it saddening and disappointing.

moncur
04-Feb-08, 19:39
and as for their "antics" -well isn't that sometimes what 14yr olds do -it's called growing up -finding one's self-identity and this is usually done through making a few mistakes and learning from them. The person who made this comment has never made mistakes himself then?

Nobodys perfect, but common sense would suggest that if the 14 year olds wanted to do anything stupid, do it out of the view of the many adults that were there that day. What am i supposed to do when I see them drinking at such a young age? Keep my mouth shut? How much of a responsible adult would that make me?

Im sure if it was one of your kids you would be grateful to find out someway if they were acting irresponsibly. I was always brought up to try drink responsibly, especially when children were around.

What if the police picked up on that? There may not have been a 2nd Big Gig!

Rant Over.

cyberman
04-Feb-08, 21:14
Well to get this thread back on track

My main sugestion for a main headliner would be a local grown band ESTRELLA

They are local, they have gone places, they are making there way in the world, and never to proud to return to there home town.

As for other bands there is plenty out there, that are local and good, god open your eyes, you lot are head thumpin or nothing.

I dont think K Dragon is the besat person for the job, but they trust him for some reason.

moncur
04-Feb-08, 21:42
I dont think K Dragon is the besat person for the job, but they trust him for some reason.

I had my doubts last year, as many people will see by my previous posts. However it all managed to work in the end. I hope he uses last years experiences, wether good or bad, to his advantage. Plus theres plenty of experienced people here to give him advice, should he ask for it.

All the best K Dungeons 'n' Dragons.

roblovesplastic
04-Feb-08, 21:55
I come on dressed as a small turnip from Wales......

Then play my techno/country/woo hoo/wally bally/jazz

crossover?

im pretty much booked yeah?

ILOVEYOU MRMUSICGUY

moncur
04-Feb-08, 22:13
I come on dressed as a small turnip from Wales......

Then play my techno/country/woo hoo/wally bally/jazz

crossover?

im pretty much booked yeah?

ILOVEYOU MRMUSICGUY

Reevs been blabbing Duress' ideas to u again hasn't he?

roblovesplastic
04-Feb-08, 23:26
Monz

No, he disnae speak till me like the rest of them plastic people

?!?!?!

i dunno, well i kinda do but surley I aint that bad?

solo spot?, I will have fireworks, kinda.

wheres MRMUSIC?

K dragon
05-Feb-08, 02:45
oh ouch cyberman.

K dragon
05-Feb-08, 02:54
someone mentioned PA

powers that be have started to arrange that, something to do with an obligation to last year etc, before i was voted in.

sooooo,

since ive already had one doubter already, (thought i paid my do's last year lol)

i should hand out more info eh?

now this isnt final, its subject to change, like i said at the start of this thread its early days.

the bands involved at the moment ARE:

DURESS, NEMESIS, NO EXIT WOUND, LYLE WATT, SAXIFER, DIESEL N DUST

im sure i didnt leave anyone out who pm'd me.

glad i won you over moncur :)

and thanks to everyone giving me advice and tips and help.

it does help.

Jeemag_USA
05-Feb-08, 18:21
There always seems to be a fair few folk goin' to these gigs but wouldn't it be class if it was packed? I cant speak for all local musicians but I know I'd rather play 2nd last (or before) to a packed field than last to a considerably smaller crowd and gettin' to Headline! Assuming the chosen band could pull a big crowd, of course!

if you had a big name from south headlining, everyone would roll out of the bars and turn up for their set, no guarantee that these people are going to turn up for the rest of the bands.

Sizzled&Stirred
05-Feb-08, 19:50
I am a former member of the band Whitnoize, and just want to say that the band no longer exists.Our inflated egos killed us. We did enjoy playing the Big Gig in 2006 and had a great time afterwards. Myself (I was the guitarist numpty with the stoopid long shorts) and the bass player have formed a new group, Imperious, with Aaron Wilson and Danny Tonks and are still practising at the mo. Hope to get out and get some gigs soon :)

the_big_mac
05-Feb-08, 19:55
I am a former member of the band Whitnoize, and just want to say that the band no longer exists.Our inflated egos killed us. We did enjoy playing the Big Gig in 2006 and had a great time afterwards. Myself (I was the guitarist numpty with the stoopid long shorts) and the bass player have formed a new group, Imperious, with Aaron Wilson and Danny Tonks and are still practising at the mo. Hope to get out and get some gigs soon :)

Danny Tonks, jeez, thats a name i havent heard in a long long time. Didnt even know he was still playing.

Good luck.

moncur
05-Feb-08, 21:40
http://www.bebo.com/thebiggig2008

Not very much on it at the moment, but email dickmoncur84@hotmail.com if you have any pictures or youtube links from Big Gigs gone by.

cyberman
05-Feb-08, 22:35
oh ouch cyberman.

Sorry if the truth hutrs?

I do not have faith in you, purely because last year was about your tastes not the publics.

After all it is a COMMUNITY event.

The so far line up are to be considered, maybe it should be down to the person with the original BIG GIG name??

I dont want to put a gala event down all together but I think you should stick to arranging empty drawers!!!

Is a all ages event, you should remeber that.......

Sizzled&Stirred
05-Feb-08, 22:45
Thanks man!

Jeid
05-Feb-08, 23:02

I do not have faith in you, purely because last year was about your tastes not the publics.

The so far line up are to be considered, maybe it should be down to the person with the original BIG GIG name??

I dont want to put a gala event down all together but I think you should stick to arranging empty drawers!!!

Come on then smart arse... who should play?

In all fairness to K Dragon... he did ask what bands the public would like to see.

the_big_mac
05-Feb-08, 23:06

Aye lets have some rubbish film clips in between bands. That will surely draw a crowd so large Caithness wont be able to cope.

moncur
05-Feb-08, 23:12
Cyberman, Cyberman,
Does whatever a whinger can.
Surfs the web, every day,
"What a pleb", people say.
Bog off! Who cares bout cyberpleb!

Jeid
05-Feb-08, 23:18
Aye lets have some rubbish film clips in between bands. That will surely draw a crowd so large Caithness wont be able to cope.

Perhaps uppieballad has returned!

Or it's one of his associates :roll:

I'm fine with 'mediocre' bands, a mediocre weather and having a couple of mediocre drinks. It's always fun :)

Chobbersjnr
05-Feb-08, 23:35
Perhaps uppieballad has returned!

Or it's one of his associates :roll:

LMAO I thought that very same thought, just didn't print it

Jeid
05-Feb-08, 23:39
I wish he'd come back... he brought such happiness to all :D

cyberman
05-Feb-08, 23:46
No nothing to do with darren manson.

Wouldnt want to be

But I have taken on allthe big gigs and know the community as I have lived here all my days.

Jeid
05-Feb-08, 23:55
So still no suggestions? Come on... who do you want to play at it?

Jeid
06-Feb-08, 11:39
But I have taken on allthe big gigs and know the community as I have lived here all my days.

I've lived here all my days... this must make me a know it all as well http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/idea.gif

rob murray
06-Feb-08, 11:51
I've lived here all my days... this must make me a know it all as well http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/idea.gif

Agreed ..know it all !

theboysintheband
06-Feb-08, 21:07
if you had a big name from south headlining, everyone would roll out of the bars and turn up for their set, no guarantee that these people are going to turn up for the rest of the bands.

I know theres no Guarantee they would turn up much before the Big Name band but there is the chance they might.

The thing is...Once the caithness bands are annonced people will decided whether there comin' or not and that'll be your crowd...bringin' a bigger band up will only bring extra punters. In theory anyway...

zebedy
06-Feb-08, 22:47

Quite possibly.

;)

ever heard of Joe Paterson? :)

moncur
06-Feb-08, 23:30

He should sign up for the guitar battle!

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-08, 01:07

Heard of, heard and seen...

...point?

:)

Metalattakk
07-Feb-08, 04:09
Heard of, heard, seen, played his guitar on stage in Skins.

And..?

(Cheers Joe. Dug me out of a hole there. ;))

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-08, 04:21
You lived in a hole in the stage at Skinandis?

Boy I bet you have a few stories...

;)

Metalattakk
07-Feb-08, 04:32
Oh boy, you wouldn't believe half of them. [lol]

zebedy
07-Feb-08, 13:31

...point?

mmm. Your musical heed can't be screwd in if you have heard and seen the boy behind his 7 string monster :)

Boozeburglar
08-Feb-08, 01:41
mmm. Your musical heed can't be screwd in if you have heard and seen the boy behind his 7 string monster :)

....so could you enlighten me as to how my posts relate to Joe?

zebedy
08-Feb-08, 15:44

...point?

From that I got it like You were making him to be no big deal. Oh well i stand corrected then. :confused Lolz

Boozeburglar
08-Feb-08, 18:33
Dude,

For many years I have been seeing all sorts of bands and players. I stopped finding most of them a 'big deal' somewhere in the eighties.

Now and then I am flattened by sublime talent, but it has much more to do with musicality than technique.

The latest player that hit me that way was one of the up and coming heros of Scottish folk, a young guy wi a great pure voice and a lovely touch on the plank.

Basically, for me at this point...

Steve Vai, no big deal.

John Petrucci, no big deal but I like his earthiness.

Chuck Berry BIG deal

Ray Charles BIG, BIG deal R.I.P. the mosy beautiful human I ever had the pleasure of sharing a room with, albeit a really, really big room.

I am beyond the 'impressed' bit, by and far, and now I just want to be entertained!

Clearer now?

How about an all star finale for the Big Gig, with representatives of all the noteable Caithness bands joining the stage for various 'standards', followed by the ceremonial burning of an effigy of dm?

;)

K dragon
08-Feb-08, 21:48
"Chuck Berry BIG deal"

agreed.

Mystical Potato Head
08-Feb-08, 21:53
come on guys

been enough arguing in this thread already - let's get back on topic again

fingalmacool
08-Feb-08, 21:58
In the words of Micheal Caine,wait a minute i fink i have an idea, If the other bands are cheesed of because of the one man band theory of not being real and raw, then why dont the bods running the show give lyle every change over, cheesy peeps he will have more stage time than every one and will probably melt his banjo.

Mystical Potato Head
08-Feb-08, 22:01
In the words of Micheal Caine,wait a minute i fink i have an idea, If the other bands are cheesed of because of the one man band theory of not being real and raw, then why dont the bods running the show give lyle every change over, cheesy peeps he will have more stage time than every one and will probably melt his banjo.

we were going to try that for the 1st big gig - but the logistics were just crazy

Jeid
08-Feb-08, 22:53
People like to talk about bands between bands and get the craic... it should stay that way.

Boozeburglar
08-Feb-08, 23:03
Am I the only one thinking, "Strippers!"?

Mystical Potato Head
08-Feb-08, 23:03
it makes changeovers easier aswell

Jeid
08-Feb-08, 23:38
Nothing worse than people being in your way when you're trying to setup...

moncur
08-Feb-08, 23:51
Am I the only one thinking, "Strippers!"?

Oh yes! heres my chance to shine as a performing artiste!

Chobbersjnr
09-Feb-08, 05:26
it makes changeovers easier aswell

what, strippers???? just cancel the rest of the bands imho lmao

hee hee I'd love to see fusion headline......................

Reev
09-Feb-08, 11:28
Well, the bickering on everything continues, ok you want it to work

heres my idea, give me a mic for the entire day, thats all you need

i shall talk and talk and talk and talk, make little or no sense, talk some more, tell some "jokes" that would get me arrested (ill tell the sweating joke infront of the kiddies again) and ill keep talking

all in all, the big gig is all the wannabes soooooooooooo why bother, ill js stand there, great day for one and all

and for your guitar battle, meh, ill take down my xbox, we can all play guitar hero if it gets to much, oh wait, thats been planned already........hhhmmm

K dragon
09-Feb-08, 18:15
just for the record, i rule at guitar hero. (says shamefully)

moncur
09-Feb-08, 19:23
just for the record, i rule at stripping. (says unshamefully)

Reev
09-Feb-08, 19:55
just for the record, i rule at stripping. (says unshamefully)

I could give you a run for your money (says with great optimism) ;)

zebedy
09-Feb-08, 20:34
Lol nd Lol!
ha

theboss
19-Feb-08, 16:37
Was a bit bored this afternoon so thought i'd knock up a wee joke poster based on Jeids original line up request. Note, there is more chance of Nirvana and Queen reforming than there is of GNR reforming so I missed them out.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4576/biggig2008ta7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Feb-08, 16:45
Looks like an advert for Truck-Fest. Where's the mention of the token Coronation Street actor?

moncur
19-Feb-08, 18:27
Was a bit bored this afternoon so thought i'd knock up a wee joke poster based on Jeids original line up request. Note, there is more chance of Nirvana and Queen reforming than there is of GNR reforming so I missed them out.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4576/biggig2008ta7.jpg (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://imageshack.us)

Is it such a good idea putting Foo Fighters on right before Nirvana? Surely Mr Grohl needs a rest in between sets?

theboss
19-Feb-08, 18:31
I was thinking we could have the Guitar Hero tournament between them so he'll be fine ;)

gemma89
20-Feb-08, 22:54
Is the big gig just on in thurso this year?
it was on in wick and thurso about 2 years ago but last year only thurso.

moncur
20-Feb-08, 23:41
Is the big gig just on in thurso this year?
it was on in wick and thurso about 2 years ago but last year only thurso.

The Thurso and Wick gigs had nowt to do with each other.

BigKev
25-Feb-08, 14:01
I have sent both kdragon and mrmusic (?) a pm asking to put our band name in for the gig, although i never recieved a reply.

Is he away or?

Could somebody clarify. . . . . .

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Feb-08, 14:39
He's too busy negotiating a fee with the Howlin' Gaels.

Boozeburglar
25-Feb-08, 16:46
What? So bands are PAID to play at this thing?

I had no idea.

I thought it was a free gig, or fer charridee...

Thurso Town Improvements
26-Feb-08, 16:07
The Big Gig is still getting dealt with and nothing has been finalised. K Dragon's PC is not working so you can PM me instead.

No bands get paid, all funds go back to the TTIA & TFC but most of the profits from last year is going into funding this years as it is not sponsored.

Doreen Macleod
TTIA Chairwoman

colin stoner
26-Feb-08, 19:11
i may have missed something but what date is the Big Gig?

Mystical Potato Head
26-Feb-08, 19:21
i may have missed something but what date is the Big Gig?

9th August i think

Jeid
26-Feb-08, 22:18
Is it not worth exploring possible sponsorship for the event?

Boozeburglar
26-Feb-08, 22:30
Great idea Jeid,

I don't think White Lightning or Buckfast are currently involved in any music festivals.

Jeid
26-Feb-08, 22:45
Buckfast or White Lightning? Stuff that...

We want Super Tennents, so it could be called....

SUPER T IN THE PARK!

Mystical Potato Head
26-Feb-08, 22:54
oh holy jeebus

Jeid - that is just beyond terrible LOL

Jeid
26-Feb-08, 23:12
SO'S YOUR FACE :D

ha... but seriously, sponsorship should be looked into so more money can be spent on a better quality PA(no offence, but it looked like something from radio rentals last year), better advertising and better coverage. A place like Thurso should have something better.

moncur
27-Feb-08, 13:32
ha... but seriously, sponsorship should be looked into so more money can be spent on a better quality PA(no offence, but it looked like something from radio rentals last year)

We could all chip in a fiver, Im sure Cash Converters has a special offer for PAs at the moment.

rob murray
27-Feb-08, 18:53
SO'S YOUR FACE :D

ha... but seriously, sponsorship should be looked into so more money can be spent on a better quality PA(no offence, but it looked like something from radio rentals last year), better advertising and better coverage. A place like Thurso should have something better.

Thurso....Why ?

"we dont take drugs....we are the drug"....now who originally said that ?

Jeid
27-Feb-08, 20:42
We could all chip in a fiver, Im sure Cash Converters has a special offer for PAs at the moment.

I hear they do personalities too...

Thurso....Why ?

Typical weeker.... ;)

Thurso Town Improvements
28-Feb-08, 16:16
Whilst I appreciate you comments, we are a very small committee who runs the whole Gala from start to finish and have to look for sponsorship for the whole Gala and organise all the events and no one can even imagine the behind the scene work that goes on to put a gala together.

We posted on the Org well over a year ago for help and David (along with some friends) stepped forward, no other person offered to help us or give advise as far as I am aware.

The TTIA are not experts in the music, but wanted to put a gig on so local bands have a chance to take part in the Gala.

TFC come to our aid and put the fencing up, did the bar and helped with stewarding, to them we are truly greatful.

The gig went out on flyers to the 3 schools, was on the org for months both in the What's on and on the home page. It was advertised on MFR. Caithness FM and in the local papers on Doureay notice boards. There was hundreds of posters put out around Caithness.

Plus the bands helped us advertise so I am not sure where else we could have gone to advertise the gig?

If anyone is willing to help, please send me a PM.

Doreen Macleod TTIA Chairwoman

Jeid
28-Feb-08, 17:10
Actually, lots of help was offered to David on here. The posters were knocked up by someone on here, the backline was organised by myself and provided by others on the board, there were numerous posts saying "if you need a hand, give us a shout", I was one of the many people that offered help. So, perhaps you missed them, but I'm sure he didn't.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but can you not apply to the likes of Case, Hi-Arts etc for some help with funding a musical event?

How much was raised on the gate for the Big Gig last year, just out of interest..

Thurso Town Improvements
29-Feb-08, 17:02
I appreciate the bands did muck in to help what I meant was we put a plee out before the gig got started for help to organise it.

I have no knowledge of PA systems, sound systems etc hence we asked for help, also we were working flat out on the Gala programme and other events so the committee did not have time to put in to the gig.

I was never really on the music part until now, so apologies to the people that offered to help that never got a chance.

The poster was absolutely brilliant. Once the gig got up and running people were magic lending PA's and providing man hours. The Bands made it and gave all their time free which was fantastic.

Thank you to for the PM's I will pass your details on.

I am not sure about case as we have ran the event before, that is where funding gets hard.

The PA system, toilets, advertising cost over £2000 from memory . As the money was split between the TFC and the TTIA I am not 100 per cent what was made I will get back to you on that.

moncur
29-Feb-08, 17:52
Question for Mr Music: What are the plans for backline this year? Bands bring their own?

I will NOT be lending my equipment this year (I feel that I have done my part lending much of the backline in the last two years.)

Camra
02-Mar-08, 20:03
Further to Jeids suggestion regarding Super Tennents..... 'P in the Dark' would be more apt.

moncur
02-Mar-08, 21:41
'P in the Dark' would be more apt.

Ah you might get sued for that, there was some kids near Dingwall who used to organise that gig years ago apparantly.

K dragon
03-Mar-08, 17:30
thats me back folks

Mystical Potato Head
03-Mar-08, 18:23
thats me back folks

wahey!

so who's all booked for it now?

K dragon
04-Mar-08, 01:08
like i said, not definate, early days yet.

so far

duress
nemesis
diesel n dust
saxifer
no exit wound
lyle watt and friends
the prolifics

could be nearing final line up.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Mar-08, 14:16
like i said, not definate, early days yet.

so far

duress
nemesis
diesel n dust
saxifer
no exit wound
lyle watt and friends
the prolifics

could be nearing final line up.

saxifer? Is that Stevie T's band?

Thurso Town Improvements
04-Mar-08, 15:44
Sorry meant to be a PM not for everyone lol

roblovesplastic
04-Mar-08, 16:58
so far this is the best idea:

Well, the bickering on everything continues, ok you want it to work

heres my idea, give me a mic for the entire day, thats all you need

i shall talk and talk and talk and talk, make little or no sense, talk some more, tell some "jokes" that would get me arrested (ill tell the sweating joke infront of the kiddies again) and ill keep talking

all in all, the big gig is all the wannabes soooooooooooo why bother, ill js stand there, great day for one and all

and for your guitar battle, meh, ill take down my xbox, we can all play guitar hero if it gets to much, oh wait, thats been planned already........hhhmmm

Mystical Potato Head
28-Mar-08, 13:45
any word on amps for the big gig?

K dragon
28-Mar-08, 18:26
sound etc has not been arranged.

the backline will have to be arranged amongst yourselves closer the time.

Mystical Potato Head
28-Mar-08, 19:40
hmmm, i think supplied backline is the easiest way to go - quicker changeovers, and easier for people with crappy amps like myself

Jeid
29-Mar-08, 00:55
Crappy amps ftl :(

K dragon
29-Mar-08, 02:09
remember ttia is a small commuinty group.

not a lot of cash and we have limited resources.

bands supply backline.

work it out amongst yourselves closer the time.

btw

jeid did an amazing job last year, as my computer and net completely crashed before the gig.

moncur also great for supplying the gear.

completely understand your choice to withdraw this year, just greatful for the past two that you did.

Jeid
29-Mar-08, 02:36
No bother biy! Good luck...

Mystical Potato Head
29-Mar-08, 12:23
Crappy amps ftl :(

Damn right. I want a Mesa badly!

Have you got anything we could have jeid?

Sizzled&Stirred
04-Apr-08, 11:23
Just want to say all the best to Megawatt!! Sources tell me they are going to tear people's heads off!! Now THATS Rock N Roll :cool:

Jeid
04-Apr-08, 11:42
Damn right. I want a Mesa badly!

Have you got anything we could have jeid?

I've got a Mesa, but there's no chance I'd be giving it out.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Apr-08, 13:46
Just want to say all the best to Megawatt!! Sources tell me they are going to tear people's heads off!! Now THATS Rock N Roll :cool:

Who are you? How are you knowin aboot this? LOL

Sizzled&Stirred
04-Apr-08, 14:40
Who are you? How are you knowin aboot this? LOL

Im a friend of Ike's. I used to play guitar for White-Noize a long time ago :D Isaac was singing your praises the other day :cool:

Mystical Potato Head
04-Apr-08, 14:53
Im a friend of Ike's. I used to play guitar for White-Noize a long time ago :D Isaac was singing your praises the other day :cool:

aahhh. Good to hear. What exactly was he saying?

moncur
04-Apr-08, 16:13
I've got a Mesa, but there's no chance I'd be giving it out.

You're quite right and all. I felt like I did my bit for last two Big Gigs and in all honesty I wouldnt dare ask anyone for a lend of an amp now.

Chobbersjnr
04-Apr-08, 17:11
aahhh. Good to hear. What exactly was he saying?

S&S tread carefully:) you have a choice the window or the stairs.........I'll stick ye in Led Boots biy......

Mystical Potato Head
04-Apr-08, 17:29
LOL. I'm a nosey wee me.

Oh, i sent you those tracks Isaac, but I got an email saying your mailbox quota was full

Chobbersjnr
04-Apr-08, 17:35
LOL. I'm a nosey wee me.

Oh, i sent you those tracks Isaac, but I got an email saying your mailbox quota was full

hmmmm strange.... I have another email ad.

Jeid
04-Apr-08, 19:27
You're quite right and all. I felt like I did my bit for last two Big Gigs and in all honesty I wouldnt dare ask anyone for a lend of an amp now.

I ken biy, It wouldn't be me giving out my amps, that's for sure.

Chobbersjnr
04-Apr-08, 19:49
especially when you (the owner) would most probably be left liable.....

Jeid
04-Apr-08, 20:03
Yeah. It's a shame that people don't respect other peoples gear.

Anyway, hope the musicians get that sorted for this year, could be a bit of a melee otherwise.

Sizzled&Stirred
05-Apr-08, 18:50
S&S tread carefully:) you have a choice the window or the stairs.........I'll stick ye in Led Boots biy......

The stairs please, I can never seem to get the glass out of my jacket when Im exited via a window... Btw Mr Mystical Head, he sez you've got a fair set of chops, I quite believe him :cool:

Mystical Potato Head
05-Apr-08, 21:07
The stairs please, I can never seem to get the glass out of my jacket when Im exited via a window... Btw Mr Mystical Head, he sez you've got a fair set of chops, I quite believe him :cool:

Thank you very much mate!

K dragon
06-Apr-08, 14:47
well folks im not sure what these comments are regarding lack of respect for equipment and it also sounds as if something bad happened that im not aware of, if moncur and jeid could pm me and explain a bit more i would appreciate it, and i can put my full attention to making sure it does not happen again.

moncur
10-Apr-08, 16:58
Just a reminder folks.

http://www.bebo.com/thebiggig2008

I have added a list of confirmed bands. Please post a comment if you have a bebo/ webpage link for any of the confirmed bands.

Ta

Blast!
11-Apr-08, 00:20
Someone should make a last.fm event for this.

http://www.last.fm/ if you can be bothered...

K dragon
11-Apr-08, 00:53
important notice to bnads, i have had mixed replies on this and i feel it needs to be addressed.

one trailer or two

because two is a major problem this year, so we may have to consider an alternative.

we might get one trailer.

and btw moncur, really sorry i completely forgot to give you info on big gig for bebo site and you have done a fantastic job, thank you very much for that, you did great. big heavy metal thumbs up. also sent you a pm

moncur
11-Apr-08, 07:36
There aint a PM in my inbox K dragon

Deemac
11-Apr-08, 09:19
Only one trailer is a serious backwards step IMO. You will face far more potential health & safety issues, PA feedback/sound problems and general onstage confusion when gear is being brought to and fro between sets. I'd consider a scaffold stage if two trailers can't be aquired.

moncur
11-Apr-08, 12:28
Only one trailer is a serious backwards step IMO. You will face far more potential health & safety issues, PA feedback/sound problems and general onstage confusion when gear is being brought to and fro between sets. I'd consider a scaffold stage if two trailers can't be aquired.

My thoughts exactly. Duress played on a 1 trailer stage at the Thurso Fun Day a few years ago and it was awkward moving and communicating and that was actually without any monitoring so I dread to think what it would be like with a stage of monitors.

K dragon
11-Apr-08, 12:53
alright, will bring this up at next meeting and will see what i can do for you guys.

Gleber2
11-Apr-08, 15:05
Who is supplying and operating the PA system this year?

zebedy
11-Apr-08, 20:25
IMO, get two if you can! Much better! Just adding my thoughts :)

Jeid
11-Apr-08, 20:42
One would be a nightmare. There's not much room on that stage as it is... so one wouldn't be much use.

As Deemac said, a scaffold stand might be an idea.

lagertops
11-Apr-08, 22:27
Hope the Johnny fats band are playing. They will pull a crowd!

Mystical Potato Head
14-Apr-08, 16:41
Sorry guys, I haven't got a clue what you're on about!

WTF is a trailer?

moncur
14-Apr-08, 17:01
Is there a date set yet?

zebedy
14-Apr-08, 17:08
Sorry guys, I haven't got a clue what you're on about!

WTF is a trailer?

haha :lol:

zebedy
14-Apr-08, 17:10
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/dstevencode3.jpg

(Y)

Mystical Potato Head
14-Apr-08, 21:14
haha :lol:

shut yer hole boi

Deemac
14-Apr-08, 23:16
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/dstevencode3.jpg

(Y)

Class, pure class Zebedy . . . . . :Razz

Mystical Potato Head
15-Apr-08, 11:54
Oh for the love of god, how did I forget that?

I'm never gonna live this one down.

K dragon
15-Apr-08, 15:43
date for the moment is....(ruffles through mountain of papers)

saturday the 9th of august.

trailer lol

Mystical Potato Head
15-Apr-08, 16:24
trailer lol

Aye aye, alright

Boy, yesterday was not my day LOL

K dragon
18-Apr-08, 22:41
two trailers.

big thanks to stevens and to the TTIA's chairperson.

bands and myself are greatful.

Mystical Potato Head
09-May-08, 16:31
Just thought I'd bring this back from oblivion with this:

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6588954554

Invisible
12-May-08, 20:16
Have you tried for the local band 'Colin'

Mystical Potato Head
12-May-08, 20:42
So what's the craic wi this guitar battle?

Are ye gonna put 2 strats in the middle of a field and shout FIGHT or what?

Chobbersjnr
12-May-08, 20:56
So what's the craic wi this guitar battle?

Are ye gonna put 2 strats in the middle of a field and shout FIGHT or what?

rofl[lol][lol]

fingalmacool
12-May-08, 21:42
rofl[lol][lol]

Maybe we could get Jeid to do some noodling??????;)

K dragon
12-May-08, 21:55
i did ask colin, and i believe they said they would be busy, my minds a bit figgy on that one, i know i asked and it was a no one way or another.

good band too.

the battle at the moment is a no go.

so i have as of yet to sort out set times etc etc.

Mystical Potato Head
13-May-08, 09:31
the battle at the moment is a no go.

so i have as of yet to sort out set times etc etc.

Yeah, the idea seemed a bit of a logistical nightmare, and people would get bored kinda quick (like my solo set)

moncur
13-May-08, 12:32
How about a rambling battle?

Basically give Reev a mic and anyone who can talk over him and complete a full sentence wins a prize!

Mystical Potato Head
13-May-08, 13:06
How about a rambling battle?

Basically give Reev a mic and anyone who can talk over him and complete a full sentence wins a prize!

not possible

Chobbersjnr
14-May-08, 01:29
not possible

yes it is. not saying that I could do it but I know of people who could make reev look like a rambling caveman

*now lets see if reev comes in to respond* lmao

Kismet
14-May-08, 13:09
like the sound of the suggestion of sutherland and son or the howlin gaels finishing the night off :D both preferably [lol]

Invisible
14-May-08, 13:59
If you require traditional acts then contact the Wick Accordion and fiddle club.

Mystical Potato Head
14-May-08, 14:31
like the sound of the suggestion of sutherland and son or the howlin gaels finishing the night off :D both preferably [lol]

Yeah. Get the Fats band to finish off. Have Isaac play twice at it. :D

zebedy
14-May-08, 14:59
I know this is not likly but if this geetar battle does come off,

I'd pay to see any Guitarist take on Jamie Rowbottom of Dunnet.

padfoot
14-May-08, 16:28

yeah i ttly agree think that would b a good end to the nite

padfoot
14-May-08, 16:31
plus no exit wounds would b great to hear

K dragon
14-May-08, 16:32
no exit wound are on the current list.

loganbiffy
14-May-08, 22:01
no exit wound are on the current list.

Indeed we are, and are looking forward to it!

MAy we see the "current list" please?

zebedy
15-May-08, 11:14
plus no exit wounds would b great to hear

Want a wee tasty before the Big gig?

we are playing skins this friday! ( tomorrow ) ARGH!!

7pm start :)

zebedy
15-May-08, 11:15
The Fooze For Big Gig?

padfoot
15-May-08, 23:47
Want a wee tasty before the Big gig?

we are playing skins this friday! ( tomorrow ) ARGH!!

7pm start :)

haha yeah i certainly do am goin to skins 2moz nite since missed uz in the newmarket

moncur
19-May-08, 23:08
any news on the big gig?

Thurso Town Improvements
21-May-08, 17:05
Everything is fine. David is on holiday for a couple of weeks Doreen.

zebedy
21-May-08, 17:32
Can Thurso Town Improvments or Mr K put out a list of all the bands confirmed yet?

Thurso Town Improvements
21-May-08, 18:31
Sorry David has them but I think Richard has kindly put them on Bebo. I will ask David answer this when he returns. Thank you all for your interest.

Doreen

Mystical Potato Head
22-May-08, 13:46
Sorry David has them but I think Richard has kindly put them on Bebo. I will ask David answer this when he returns. Thank you all for your interest.

Doreen

Ah, but that is the old list from before all the bands were confirmed

Gleber2
23-May-08, 14:01
Some of you will be pleased to know that the same Radio Rentals PA will be supplied this year with Chobbersjnr at the mixer. Last year the PA man was told to turn down by the Police when the first band was on stage. This would indicate that the PA was more than adequate.

loganbiffy
23-May-08, 14:57
Some of you will be pleased to know that the same Radio Rentals PA will be supplied this year with Chobbersjnr at the mixer. Last year the PA man was told to turn down by the Police when the first band was on stage. This would indicate that the PA was more than adequate.

Lol, yup that was us!

The police told them to turn us down haha.
bunch of noisy gits that No Exit Wound, as you well know Gleber!!

Gleber2
23-May-08, 15:00
Lol, yup that was us!

The police told them to turn us down haha.
bunch of noisy gits that No Exit Wound, as you well know Gleber!!
Ma loogs are still buzzan from 'e last time!!!!!![evil]

loganbiffy
23-May-08, 15:14
Ma loogs are still buzzan from 'e last time!!!!!![evil]

lol, sorry about that!

Would it be possible to come out on tuesday for a practice and use some of your fine equipment?

Would be much appreciated!

Gleber2
23-May-08, 16:44
No probs. Call the Hobbit!!!

loganbiffy
23-May-08, 17:45
No probs. Call the Hobbit!!!

Cheers Mr. Gleber, i shall get in touch with said hobbit!

Chobbersjnr
23-May-08, 18:00
Cheers Mr. Gleber, i shall get in touch with said hobbit!

Said hobbit says 70% OK will confirm by end of night...

Log you sound awfully like Yoda. Anyone ever told you that

loganbiffy
23-May-08, 18:21
Said hobbit says 70% OK will confirm by end of night...

Log you sound awfully like Yoda. Anyone ever told you that

Haha, Fact of the matter is yes, been told many times i type like Yoda i have!

Yeh man, keep me posted on the situation.
You get your MM4 ok the other night?

Cheers my friend!

Chobbersjnr
23-May-08, 19:23
Haha, Fact of the matter is yes, been told many times i type like Yoda i have!

Yeh man, keep me posted on the situation.
You get your MM4 ok the other night?

Cheers my friend!

ROFL

Aye I got the blue beastie. If it wasn't for the fact I'm using it in mix down I'd say you keep hold of it & I'll get it back when I need it. But I'm using it....panning phaser baby

Darth vader taking over outer space & yoda exploring inner space is indeed the fundamental difference between the good & the bad

zeeeeeeeeee

zebedy
23-May-08, 21:25
zzzzzzzzzzzzbbbzzzzz

I have no idea what your both on about but thought i'd through a Zbz in about it!

Chobbersjnr
23-May-08, 21:29
zzzzzzzzzzzzbbbzzzzz

I have no idea what your both on about but thought i'd through a Zbz in about it!

ROFL LMAO how I'm lolling yeehaw
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbzzzzzzzzzzz to you to.

Danny Dyer in Human Traffic Darth & Yoda and the fundamental difference.

you zee

loganbiffy
24-May-08, 01:27
ROFL LMAO how I'm lolling yeehaw
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbzzzzzzzzzzz to you to.

Danny Dyer in Human Traffic Darth & Yoda and the fundamental difference.

you zee

Oh now your yapping my language!
Zee all around!!

zebedy
24-May-08, 10:40
*nods*

*smiles*

Zee? :confused:lol:

K dragon
29-May-08, 14:57
im a bit lost at whats going on at moment but here is whos currently on the list if all goes well.

nemesis
no exit wound
megawatt
duress
falter
crimsontide
the prolifics
empty fortune
saxifer
the loosenotes

enjoy

Chobbersjnr
29-May-08, 17:54
is that the order it's going to run in Dave??

& I'm guessing at a 12 (noon) start & about a 10pm close??

& I'm assuming you're aware of updates on the PA front.

awrabest

Cjnr

zebedy
02-Jun-08, 14:48
Whats the time slots looking to be like?

and yeah is that the running order?

K dragon
02-Jun-08, 21:17
that is the running order.

here are the times.

nemesis 2.00-2.35

no exit wound 2.45-3.20

duress 3.30-4.15

megawatt 4.25-5.10

falter 5.20-6.20

crimsontide 6.30-7.30

the prolifics 7.40-8.40

empty fortune 8.50-9.50

saxifer 10.00-11.00

the loosenotes 11.10- 11.55

Jeid
02-Jun-08, 22:16
Ten minute changeovers? A touch on the optimistic side I think, but good luck none the less, you'll need it.

Shame about the PA, but hopefully it sounds better this year :)

fingalmacool
02-Jun-08, 23:49
that is the running order.

here are the times.

nemesis 2.00-2.35

no exit wound 2.45-3.20

duress 3.30-4.15

megawatt 4.25-5.10

falter 5.20-6.20

crimsontide 6.30-7.30

the prolifics 7.40-8.40

empty fortune 8.50-9.50

saxifer 10.00-11.00

the loosenotes 11.10- 11.55

Is it me or is the line up the wrong way round, with the exception of Crimson Tide who should be rounding the gig off as they are probably the most travelled and the most talented, but maybe there is method in the line up that escapes most, so with this in mind the end of the night can be line danced and headbanged away by an interesting crowd, I hope???:eek:

phil_moonbeam
03-Jun-08, 07:51
everyone seems to complain about the radio rentals pa system thanks should go out to the guys who put it together as it is not easy coming up with a 10k plus pa system in caithness
and getting all the gear to work together so praise should be given to dave,issac and sparky who put your radio rentals system together

Jeid
03-Jun-08, 10:36
That was the problem... it didn't work. Hopefully they can get together before the gig and try to iron out any faults. I'm sure they'd all benefit from that :)

Good luck.

Gleber2
03-Jun-08, 12:49
Two of Sparkies speaker burned out but, apart from that, it worked. What would be the point of a more powerful system when the Police complain about the noise. It was with great reluctance that we agreed to do the PA this year, but if we had not, the gig would have been cancelled because no other PA could be found in the Highlands and to go further afield would have been too expensive.
The proposed running order is ridiculous but only K.Dragon knows why. Duress, according to one of its members, is defunct. as is Nemesis. Perhaps they are staying together for the gig. The headliners can't pull a crowd in the Orange Room and they had top spots last year.
Screw the nut MR. Dragon!!!!!