PDA

View Full Version : It's a sick sick world we live in....

Julia
22-Jan-08, 23:04
I caught a glimpse of this on the news earlier, I just cannot believe how sick some individuals are!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7202351.stm

unicorn
22-Jan-08, 23:08
What on earth is wrong inside the heads of these people that they have so little regard for human life and obviously no compassion or feelings. They must be so cold and brutal inside.

lil_kim
22-Jan-08, 23:10
that's shocking. A very sad and sick world we live in. makes my blood boil

scorrie
22-Jan-08, 23:36
Yes, it's a sad world. Yet some would have us believe we should be grateful for not lowering ourselves to the level of the perpetrators by dishing out Capital Punishment for such offences. How long before some apologist comes along and claims that the killers are the real victims in this case? It's their parents fault, it's society's fault etc, ad nauseam

lady penelope
22-Jan-08, 23:37
Very, very sad. What a waste of life, not only for the victim. The mother who washed her son's clothes to protect her child was very wrong.I would have phoned the police if my child came in with anothers blood on them. It's a terrible world we live in.

golach
23-Jan-08, 00:26
More of this should be done, Well done the Sheriff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7203298.stm

Flair
23-Jan-08, 10:33
Serious stuff. Sure, we all have a dark side but that's just wrong.

I think the words I'd choose to give my two cents on it would be inappropriate so I will say no more. [disgust]

starry
23-Jan-08, 10:46
More of this should be done, Well done the Sheriff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7203298.stm

I agree !
Why on earth should they be protected.

This story actually made me feel physically ill. I am horrified at the mother who washed the clothes. I hope when she comes to court her sentence reflects the seriousness of what she did.

As for the boys who killed him, let them rot in jail.

Flair
23-Jan-08, 11:05
As for the boys who killed him, let them rot in jail.

Hmm... I think I'd rather see a public hanging but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. :roll:

paris
23-Jan-08, 11:08
Ive said it before and will say it again....What a horrible world we live in and its not going to get any better. jan x

badger
23-Jan-08, 11:57
Yes, it's a sad world. Yet some would have us believe we should be grateful for not lowering ourselves to the level of the perpetrators by dishing out Capital Punishment for such offences. How long before some apologist comes along and claims that the killers are the real victims in this case? It's their parents fault, it's society's fault etc, ad nauseam

I'm not getting into the CP argument again and I certainly don't believe the killers are the "real victims" but - the mother of one washed the bloodstains off his clothes to protect him and you say it's not the parents' fault? There seems to be an attitude among many parents that loving your child equates to spoiling them and defending them against punishment regardless of what they have done. How many times do we hear of parents threatening teachers without bothering to find out the facts? Or attacking other adults who have dared to reprove their precious darling? Children who believe they can't be touched by authority are bound to grow up with no respect for anything.

Golach’s link refers to the number of young children – including a 4 year old – committing crimes. If it’s not that 4 year old’s parents fault (and the other very young children referred to on the radio) then whose is it?

Dog-eared
23-Jan-08, 12:49
I'm not entirely sure that life imprisonment is enough.
Hard labour for life would be more fitting.

BBC Video link here -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7200000/newsid_7203500/7203579.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=14&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

crashbandicoot1979
23-Jan-08, 13:01
That story brought tears to my eyes. I can't even imagine how or why anyone could do such a thing. I have a sister with learning difficulties and theres always the worry of what some sick individuals might do to her. Although if they did anything, and I got my hands on them, I'd be appearing in the dock shortly after them....

twiglet
23-Jan-08, 21:29
It seems that all too often beurocracy is used to protect the offenders rather than the victims. My heart goes out to the victims and especialy the family of the man that was murdered. Well done that sheriff for naming and shaming but whether it will make a difference remains to be seen. Some youngsters south of the boarder see an Asbo as a badge of honour, sad but true.

Dusty
23-Jan-08, 22:09
It's about time that we had a return of old values and I don't mean the local bobby giving the young rascals a clip round the ear.

If the younger offenders were allowed to be publicly humiliated for the relatively minor offences normally committed on the start of the path to being a yob, then perhaps the "Street Cred" element would be removed from committing offences and getting caught by the law might take on a different complection for them.

From the middle ages to as recently as the 19th Century humiliation was used as a punishment for various crimes. Felons were made to appear on one or more market days wearing a placard proclaiming their wrongdoing or were put in the stocks from jail and their crime advertised.

The majority of Neds now seen on TV being led into or out of court sport smirks and flash the finger to the camera sending the message to the yonger element that it is "Cool" to flaunt your disrespect for society.

I don't claim that this would be the answer to ending all youth crime, but what else has worked to reduce it lately?
(The Jamie Bulger case is one that this would probably have had no effect on).

When senseless crimes like this are perpetrated it leaves all right thinking people wondering what can be done.

scorrie
24-Jan-08, 00:17
the mother of one washed the bloodstains off his clothes to protect him and you say it's not the parents' fault?

I am sure you are well aware that trying to protect your child does not equate to being responsible for him being a killer.

starry
24-Jan-08, 10:43
It seems that all too often beurocracy is used to protect the offenders rather than the victims. My heart goes out to the victims and especialy the family of the man that was murdered. Well done that sheriff for naming and shaming but whether it will make a difference remains to be seen. Some youngsters south of the boarder see an Asbo as a badge of honour, sad but true.

And many this side of the borders as well.
The whole ASBO programme has been a waste of time and money. If it had been researched properly by people working with young offenders then it would never have got of the ground.

Until we have realistic sentencing then nothing will change.

We have a problem with underage drinking at them mo, well it is always a problem but police are acting on it just now.
So if they find underage drinkers they take the alcohol and then write to the parents.
Why do they not take the children to the police station and call the parents in there and then ?
I am sure if I had to get out of my bed at 2am to pick up my son I would make damn sure I knew where he was the following weekend.