PDA

View Full Version : Left Foot Drive

hobbes1962
22-Jan-08, 13:26
Has anyone got any experience of driving with your left foot (ie the accelerator pedal on the left side of the brake pedal)?

carasmam
22-Jan-08, 13:53
Jeepers, that would be surreal (and a recipe for disaster ) Are you planning it? Let us know how you get on :lol:

hobbes1962
22-Jan-08, 14:04
Yeah I'm planning it (doctors wishes). Have to say it doesn't fill me with joy but I'm sure it'll be fine and I'll get used to it - hopefully :lol:

riggerboy
22-Jan-08, 14:56
i drive an automatic and to be truthful i brake with my left foot all the time, i cant remember when i started to do it but it has now become 2nd nature to me,

justine
22-Jan-08, 15:49
i have always driven an automatic and have always used my left foot.to brake. It does come 2nd nature...I cant drive a manual. if i was meant to i would have a foot for each pedal..

Fran
22-Jan-08, 16:48
I think you would soon get used to it, like driving a manual then an automatic as I often do. I have a friend who had an automatic car when his leg was amputated and then had his car adapted when his other leg was amputated so all controls were on the steering wheel. I think if you went on the mobility web site you might find some helpful answers. You will soon get used to driving differently, just seem strange for a while. Sit in the car and practice without going anywhere till you get used to it and feel confident.

scotsboy
22-Jan-08, 17:20
Has anyone got any experience of driving with your left foot (ie the accelerator pedal on the left side of the brake pedal)?

Am I missing somehting simple here?? What kind of vehicle has the accelerator to the left of the brake??? I drive in the UK and abroad, and the accelerator is always to the right of the brake.

Driving an automatic is easier if you just use the one foot i.e. your right one.

scotsboy
22-Jan-08, 17:24
Oh, and my Grandfather only had one leg and used to drive a lorry (he lost his leg at Dukirk)........and in those days you had to double de-clutch on the lorries!

Metalattakk
22-Jan-08, 17:26
Driving an automatic is easier if you just use the one foot i.e. your right one.

And what if that's the foot she can't use?

scotsboy
22-Jan-08, 17:42
I'm sorry I have obviously misunderstood totally. Is this post about someone who has had their right leg amputated, and driving with their left foot? If so, they will manage no problem on an automatic. Apologies, if any offence caused by my previous post.

Metalattakk
22-Jan-08, 17:55
Are you being obtuse? Read the thread again, this time from the start.

hobbes1962
22-Jan-08, 18:11
Am I missing somehting simple here?? What kind of vehicle has the accelerator to the left of the brake??? I drive in the UK and abroad, and the accelerator is always to the right of the brake.

Yes, an automatic is easier but what if you can't use your right leg? You get disability driving aids that change the pedals over to be left foot drive

scotsboy
22-Jan-08, 18:16
Didn't know that Hobbes. If they do that, I am sure you would soon get used with it - I reckon you would even get used with leaving the pedals s they are and using only your left leg.

Mettalattak I was not being obtuse, and had read the thread from the beginning.

hobbes1962
22-Jan-08, 18:16
There seems to be some confustion with this thread so to clarify the situation:

As a driver currently driving an automatic with my right foot (brake in the middle and accelerator on the right) the doctor now wishes me to change to left foot driving. This involves adapting the car to put the accelerator pedal on the left hand side of the brake pedal so you brake and accelerate with just the left foot.

Hope this clarifies the thead and if any disabled drivers are out there who have experience of this, please let me know how you find this.

hobbes1962
22-Jan-08, 18:19
Didn't know that Hobbes. If they do that, I am sure you would soon get used with it - I reckon you would even get used with leaving the pedals s they are and using only your left leg.

Mettalattak I was not being obtuse, and had read the thread from the beginning.

You can't leave the pedals as they are as the left foot doesn't reach the accelerator pedal on the right side of the brake - try reaching for that next time you get in your car!

scotsboy
22-Jan-08, 18:32
Well I'll give it a try, but as I said earlier my Grandad managed to drive a lorry with only his right leg and used to use only the right leg on oth the clutch and accelerator........and he never had a very long leg! But I take your point that you would need to have the left leg on the accelerator pedal for significantly longer. Good luck anyway - maybe they have a simulator to use for practice??

northener
22-Jan-08, 20:14
It's a pretty common conversion, if my memory serves me correctly and you'll forget about it being awkward after a while.

A word of warning though:

Take it very, very steady until driving 'wrong- footed' becomes a subconcious action. If you are forced to take evasive action whilst adjusting, there will be a VERY real danger of your brain telling your foot to 'brake' the old way......as your original psychomotor skills will kick in involountarily:eek:

Regarding driving automatics with left foot on the brake.....naughty.

scotsboy
23-Jan-08, 14:38
You can't leave the pedals as they are as the left foot doesn't reach the accelerator pedal on the right side of the brake - try reaching for that next time you get in your car!

Tried it today on a GMC Suburban, drove from my house to the office using only my left foot - managed without any real trouble, but it would be a lot easier if the pedals were switched right enough.