PDA

View Full Version : The plasticine dispute

TBH
19-Jan-08, 07:21
Do they still make plasticine? Great colours, tough stuff for tough kids not like that sissy playdough built for the soft kids of today. Plasticine maketh the man.:lol:

trinkie
19-Jan-08, 08:34
TBH. Plasticine maketh the man Indeed ..... And the cows and sheep and all the farmyard animals. I had a most wonderful collection of such animals.
In the autumn we would gather twigs and little branches and cover them with Plasticine flowers, which lasted in the window, all winter !

The Dispute however, would have been over the mess it made on the rug ! If you dared drop a bit, it got trampled in and then the fun would begin with mum creating such a fuss about ruined rugs etc ! Was she not happy enough with my animals and flowers and the hours of quietness as I sat there engrossed in my Plasticine Heaven - there's no pleasing some folk !!

Bring back Plasticine ,

Lolabelle
19-Jan-08, 08:55
I wonder if you can still get plastecine?
I am taking over the running the sunday school this year and some plastecine would be great for them to use.

Playdough doesn't have the same resilience as the good old stuff.

Ricco
19-Jan-08, 09:08
I am taking over the running the sunday school this year and some plastecine would be great for them to use.

Take a look here (http://www.flairplc.co.uk/pages/plasticine.shtml), Lolabelle.

Lolabelle
19-Jan-08, 09:23
Take a look here (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.flairplc.co.uk/pages/plasticine.shtml), Lolabelle.

Thanks Ricco, I will have to get onto Google and find an Australian outlet. :D

Cattach
19-Jan-08, 10:27

Still available but may appear under different trade or description names.

Snarfer
19-Jan-08, 12:29
My son got some plasticine for christmas "great stuff". He did have some cheap version of playdoh think we left it to close to a radiator and it turned into liquidy gloop what a mess.

bekisman
19-Jan-08, 13:12
When I was a young boy back in the 1950's us kids in the village used to go to Sunday School (C & E), and did the usual; Bible Colouring and so on, but then someone discovered that the Chapel Sunday school had plasticine! so we all scooted down there instead Sunday afternoons.. fickle boy..
Clever move by someone, trying to catch us young!

karia
19-Jan-08, 14:46
Ah plasticine...fine for a day or two then everything got blended together and all your 'models' were constructed in a lovely shade of amorphous brown sludge.:lol:

unicorn
19-Jan-08, 15:06
a visiting child once stuck plasticine down the back of my radiator :eek: what a mess.

badger
19-Jan-08, 18:23
Plasticine is soooo much better than playdough but Karia is right, either kind finishes up as a browny/purply mess. Now if they could invent something that would magically separate back into its original colours, that would be really good :) .

And it does get everywhere - first the floor, then shoes, then wherever little feet (and big ones) go.

Torvaig
19-Jan-08, 18:55
Plasticine is soooo much better than playdough but Karia is right, either kind finishes up as a browny/purply mess. Now if they could invent something that would magically separate back into its original colours, that would be really good :) .

And it does get everywhere - first the floor, then shoes, then wherever little feet (and big ones) go.

Badger, those are the very reasons playdough was invented! :lol:

karia
19-Jan-08, 19:04
Badger, those are the very reasons playdough was invented!

Problem with Playdough was.. it smelled so good and so edible!:lol:

Not an accusation you could level at plasticine.;)

badger
19-Jan-08, 19:23
Thanks Torvaig - just to plague us. Then little ones wonder why I'm so mean sometimes about getting it out ;) .

Eat it, Karia? Surely not. Will have to go and sniff some so if I don't get back ......

helenwyler
19-Jan-08, 19:24
Problem with Playdough was.. it smelled so good and so edible!

Not sure about the commercial stuff, but you can make your own playdough which is edible!:cool:

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp oil
1/4 cup salt
food colouring

Mix and voila. I used to make it all for my girls...much cheaper. Once I put a little vanilla flavouring in...a mistake! They did actually want to eat it:eek:!

Anne x
19-Jan-08, 19:40
So did I Helen for my daughters playgroup many years ago !!!

TBH
19-Jan-08, 21:20
TBH. Plasticine maketh the man Indeed ..... And the cows and sheep and all the farmyard animals. I had a most wonderful collection of such animals.
In the autumn we would gather twigs and little branches and cover them with Plasticine flowers, which lasted in the window, all winter !

The Dispute however, would have been over the mess it made on the rug ! If you dared drop a bit, it got trampled in and then the fun would begin with mum creating such a fuss about ruined rugs etc ! Was she not happy enough with my animals and flowers and the hours of quietness as I sat there engrossed in my Plasticine Heaven - there's no pleasing some folk !!

Bring back Plasticine ,I know what you mean, all that creativity and they moan about a little bit getting on their carpets.:lol:

anneoctober
19-Jan-08, 22:04
Ah plasticine...fine for a day or two then everything got blended together and all your 'models' were constructed in a lovely shade of amorphous brown sludge.
Karia, reminds of flashback to me playing with my plasticine in the living room while mum was out at the shop. Of course I was n't supposed to have it anywhere BUT the kitchen table........:roll: Back then we had lino on the floor with a huge rug covering the seating area. Yep, playing "shoppies" and "buying" my veggies when I heard the door open, quicker than lightening, grabbed my goodies and made off to the bedroom, where mum found me putting it all away neatly in my cupboard. Umm, it does n't end there, later after dinner we were all in in the living room - dad zonked on the couch when mam gave a roar, my poor dad (who worked for the County council as a roadman at the time) almost expired as mam gave him a right dressing down about dirty workboots etc. there embedded into the rug where dad's foot had been a second before was a broon tattie ( 1 I had made earlier!!) but now it was leck a rosti , shining brightly for all to see...........I NEVER owned up to that one........:eek:

gunnlass
19-Jan-08, 22:11
You can buy plasticine in Temptations upstairs in the toyshop in packs or single blocks like you used to get at school.

Lolabelle
19-Jan-08, 22:14
Ah plasticine...fine for a day or two then everything got blended together and all your 'models' were constructed in a lovely shade of amorphous brown sludge.:lol:

My sister's house is painted the exact shade of blended plasticine. A lovely purpley brownish grey. Just beautiful! :eek:

TBH
19-Jan-08, 22:15
You can buy plasticine in Temptations upstairs in the toyshop in packs or single blocks like you used to get at school.I think I may buy some for the grandkids.;)

karia
19-Jan-08, 22:16
Oh Anne..you rascal!:lol:

I can well remember rolling up wee round 'eggs' and putting them in a wee 'basket' complete with a (rolled) handle....all in dubious tones of .....sludge!

I'll bet you did that too!;)

percy toboggan
20-Jan-08, 09:55
A also found out, just the other day that 'the plasticine' is an age...like the neolithic, or jurassic.

At lest this is the way the American professor on Radio 4 said the word - I, like the presenter was slightly flummoxed. Presents images of Wallace and Gromit like dinosaurs wandering aboot.

Good luck in your quest for modelling materials.