PDA

View Full Version : Nhs 24

BRIE
16-Jan-08, 17:34
following on from the out of hours doctor thread, what does everyone think of the NHS 24 system? Do think its as good as the old system of doctors on call? whats everyones experiences good or bad?

davem
16-Jan-08, 18:01
Its a pain in the neck, when you know someone needs a doctor, you have to wait ages for the nurse to ring you back to advise what you knew in the first place.

ginajade
16-Jan-08, 18:34
Terrible. Have had to use it on a few occasions. Someone on their own, trying to attend to an ill person would have difficulty using it, a child or anyone with learning disabilities, mental health problems or anyone in a state of shock would find it near impossible to use On a recent phone call to them the patient had deteriorated in the space of time we were on the phone waiting to even speak to a nurse!! And if you don't know the person you are calling about, good luck to you. You are unlikely to get anywhere without a name, date of birth, address, post code etc. Also not being local, for some of our remoter areas, you have difficulty trying to explain your whereabouts, resulting in more time wasted.
I am not putting down any of the nurses or receptionists I have spoken to at all, they have all been doing their jobs well, but the system is flawed and wastes time. Time, that in some situations makes the difference between life and death or the quality of life of the casualty.

mandy&baz
16-Jan-08, 18:39
i also think its terrible......its as bad as the emergency dentist thing!!!

Solus
16-Jan-08, 18:43
I have had used them twice in the past couple of years ( well my good lady called on my behalf) and found it to be helpful, quick and got me to a doctor quicker than had i turned up at A & E. Although both times i was in pain i did not think it needed an ambulance but i did need a doctor quick ! hooray for the morphine :Razz

hotrod4
16-Jan-08, 22:12
It is a complete farce.
Unluckily had to use it once for my son who was in agony.
Was told would be rung back within 30 mins.
After 45 mins rang them back and was told"wont be long now".
Waited another 30 mins still no call.
CAlled them back and told them was on my way to caithness general after a quick 5 min call to an A & E doctor who told us to bring him down and was exteremely helpful.

Its an absolute shambles and hope that no-one has o use this awful service.

starry
16-Jan-08, 22:17
I hate it.
I find the repeating every detail to so many people just exhausting.
Plus the times it takes to phone back are just too long.

I wish they would change it back.
If I was ever really worried about someone I would just phone 999.

bobandag16
16-Jan-08, 22:45
following on from the out of hours doctor thread, what does everyone think of the NHS 24 system? Do think its as good as the old system of doctors on call? whats everyones experiences good or bad?
what you think does not matter. its vwhat you have . ownly hope if you need it. when your are ill any old port in a storm

Torvaig
16-Jan-08, 23:56
When people are so ill or suffering greatly, what on earth is wrong in ringing for an ambulance?

j4bberw0ck
17-Jan-08, 00:15
It's a triumph of Stalinist planning.

"Comrades! The glorious tractor production target has been exceeded this quarter! Lots of phone calls have been taken! Lots dealt with! But we have no idea how many people were really helped and how how many died; more to the point we don't care because they didn't tun up at our glorious centrally-funded National Health Service Hospitals! Consequently, comrades, we have reduced the number of our glorious comrades who have mysteriously become infected with American imperialist diseases like MRSA and c. diff!"

Always look on the bright side of life......

iain
17-Jan-08, 15:59
Service we recieved was first class,as was Wick hospital.

Ash
17-Jan-08, 16:04
last year my wee girl was having problems with her bowels, she was very constipated, at around 11pm she was waking up screaming trying to move her bowels, we called NHS24 and i was told she was constipated as it had only been 24hrs since she had her last bowel movement, she was in agony, and i was worried as she is so regular, and was only just 3.... after alot of arguing i was told we could come through to caithness general, what if we didnt have transport? why are no doctors willing to do house calls to kids that are in pain?

Dadie
17-Jan-08, 16:43
hate it took ages to get told to go to CGH at 2pm after waiting an hour for them to phone me back to see the duty doctor which arrived at 2.30pm with Lauren with croup

ks
17-Jan-08, 18:50
I hate it.
If I was ever really worried about someone I would just phone 999.

When you phone 999 they will refer you to NHS24 anyway, think you have to be nearly dead before an ambulance will come out.

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 18:55
I had no problem phoning 999, and the ambulancemen were amazing, they do a fabulous job up here I can't praise them enough.

Torvaig
17-Jan-08, 18:56
When you phone 999 they will refer you to NHS24 anyway, think you have to be nearly dead before an ambulance will come out.

Methinks thou dost exaggerate which does not give credence to your statement....:eek:

Snarfer
17-Jan-08, 18:58
It is so annoying and time consuming when they ask all the questions that are to be passed onto a nurse when your child is taking a fit right in front of you, in the end though within 5 mins of the end of the call the ambulance was bombing up the road sirens going and lights flashing. Things seem to always be in slow motion when you are under so much pressure and repeating all you details again seems to take forever when you want something done.

Torvaig
17-Jan-08, 19:05
Snarfer, it must be very traumatic when all you want is your loved one back to normal but, as you know, all these questions are necessary to ensure the right treatment and drugs, if necessary, are administered. The professionals have to have all the details. I hope that if a loved of yours was involved that they have recovered completely....

ks
17-Jan-08, 19:59
[/B]

Methinks thou dost exaggerate which does not give credence to your statement....:eek:

Not at all, my husband had to phone for an ambulance for me but was advised to call NHS24, had to then wait for a nurse to call him back, eventually got an ambulance but probably after about a 30+ minute delay.

unicorn
17-Jan-08, 20:04
I phoned for an ambulance 2 weeks ago and it was with us within 10 minutes, the operators were fantastic and as I have already said the ambulancemen were and are worth their weight in gold.

Torvaig
17-Jan-08, 23:10
Not at all, my husband had to phone for an ambulance for me but was advised to call NHS24, had to then wait for a nurse to call him back, eventually got an ambulance but probably after about a 30+ minute delay.

KS, my apologies for commenting on this one; obviously I didn't know how serious it was but it is good to see that (according to other posters) this doesn't happen all the time. Without knowing the facts (I'm not fishing for them by the way :)) I don't know why it happened in your case. I hope things are well with you now.