PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me please ?

scaraben
14-Jan-08, 21:22
I've a friend out in NZ who's great grandmother was Christina Sutherland, born in Dunbeath in 1838. The G/Granma's parents were William Sutherland ( a farmer ) and Christina Sutherland ( formerly Sutherland too )
Christina then 28 years old ( the great grandmother 1st mentioned ) went to New Zealand on the "Lincoln" on 15.02.1867 and arrived there 19.06.1867. That's as much info. as I have. I wonder if there is someone out there who could tell me more ??

trinkie
15-Jan-08, 11:23
Hallo Scaraben,

I'm not able to help you here - though I do have 23 William Sutherlands in my Tree !! Alas, not one has married a Christina ( how inconvenient )

Can you give any more details - anything at all, it all helps.

I'm sure someone will have this family, so give it a bit of time.
Have you tried the Clan Sutherland site ?

Trinkie

scaraben
15-Jan-08, 13:06
Hi there Trinkie ............ You want more info. ? well here goes :
In the 1861 census Wick burgh she ( NZ friend ) an A. Bain household with whom Christina may have been connected. It starts : W. Bain 76 Widower House propietor then lists the family Alexander 39 + Jane 32 + James 22 + Elizabeth 18 + Christina Sutherland Servant 22 ....domestic servant born at Dunbeath.
When Christian went to NZ in 1867 she is listed on the ship's records as a COOK and 28 years old.
Further : Christina married out in NZ and a George Alexander Sutherland went to live with Christina & her husband when his parents died & she ( the NZ friend ) says that her grandfather was a witness at his wedding. NOW.....George Alexander Sutherland's parents were Archibald Cook Sutherland & Barbara nee Munro. A.C.Sutherland's parents were Wm Sutherland & Janet Sutherland she died April 1895 at the age of 95, in Carroy Dunbeath while her husband died earlier at the age of 56, he was a farmer at Achnagoul Latheronwheel. That's about the sum total of info. available at present unless anyone can develop it further.