PDA

View Full Version : Thermostatic Radiator Valves

Liz
07-Oct-05, 15:00
Our thermostat control is in the loft (clever!) and so I cannot access it with the result it's at the same temperature all year around! :roll:

I did wonder whether radiator valves would be the answer?

Does anyone use them or can give me more info?

Thanks!

Liz

katarina
07-Oct-05, 18:47
You should have a thermostatic control in the hall. If not - why not? Thermostatic valves on the rads control the heating of each individual rad. But if you want to control the heating as a whole, have a control fitted where it can read the temp of the house. In the loft?????? the mind boggles!!!

captain chaos
07-Oct-05, 18:56
The thermostat in the attic could be a frost stat. This switches on the heating if it detects the temp in the attic getting near freezing to protect pipes etc

As katarina says You should get a thermostat fitted in the hall. This would be the cheapest route,fiiting thermostatic valves would cost more and be a little more disruptive.

Liz
07-Oct-05, 19:41
Thanks both. We have a coal fire with a back boiler and the thermostat control is on the hot water tank.

I did ask the council (before we bought the house) about taking the thermostat control 'downstairs' but they said this wasn't possible. :roll:

Afraid I don't know much about it but it isn't very energy efficient and it means in the summer we can be cold if we let the fire out and it gets cold or boiling hot if we have the fire on and it gets hot!

Just wondered what we could do and the radiator valves was the only thing I could think of!

Naefearjustbeer
07-Oct-05, 20:50
Thermostatic valve will be good so that you can adjust the temperature of each room individually. You will need to leave at least one radiator without one so that you dont run your central heating pump dead headed(normally the bathroom). I take it the thermostat in the loft turns the heating on when the water reaches the correct temperature rather than switching the heating on when the house is cold? I can remember the coal fire in my mums house roaring on windy nights and the radiators were all on full blast and the water was still boiling so we had to run a hot bath to try and control the boiling water.

Liz
07-Oct-05, 22:34
Cheers Naefearjustbeer!

Yes the thermostat in the loft does turn the heating on when the water reaches a certain temperature.

Do you know where the best place to get thermostatic valves is and are they easy to fit? :roll:

I would really like to get a better form of heating but can't afford it so thought the valves would be my best option just now.

Liz

Ali
08-Oct-05, 00:40
Give me a shout at William Wilsons - 01847 891685. I can advise you about trv's and give you a few names of plumbers that can give you estimates for more controlable heating - ie gas or oil. If you're over a certain age you might be ledgible for free heating from the goverment.

Alasdair Rendall

Liz
08-Oct-05, 13:50
Thanks Alasdair!

I'll give you a ring later. :D